PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Exercising/coping with back problems

I'm by no means over 35 but about 6 months back I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease to which I'm supposedly way to you to have. Regardless the cartilage between my l4 and l5 vertebrae is basically done for. That being said I've been scared to death to lift in fear that one wrong move with make me immobile for a few weeks again. Do any of you have any experience with something similar to this? And if so how did you deal with it and remain active? My physique is at an all time worst and I need to do something about it ASAP.
    i rep metalcore fans

disregard aesthetics, acquire gluttonous winter bulk.
    1k+

u mad i lift in work clothes?

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have similar issue. Have found lifts that pull or push downward on spine while standing are risking a problem.

So. Deadlifts are dangerous and bench press is not. Overhead press, squating barbell, shrugs can be dangerous too.

What can you do?? Here's what I did. I can't heavy deadlift or heavy squat. I can heavy seated legpress and lunge. I can medium o/h press, and carefully shrug relatively heavy. Must be Very careful to sense a disc problem. That twinge you get before the pain is a strong signal to Back Off.

You can substitute for dangerous heavy lifts. That is better than risking injury. You can lift some moves lighter and keep others heavy. That can work for you.
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Due to certified injury, I will never be able to lift heavy at squats or deadlifts. Years ago I did high rep squats with up to 135 lbs(that is all I owned). Now the lower right side of my back muscles take care of me while the left side is almost useless.

Learn how to properly do leg presses, and always have your low back against the back support. Easier said than done, and you will violate this when trying to increase the weight used. Doing the very slow negative, positive, negative, min 30 seconds each has helped me. When I get to 60 seconds for all three, I can increase the weight. Dr. Darden's last book has helped me more than I can say. Lost fat, gained muscle at 71 years of age.
    Do what's right.

thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000) thelojones is just really nice. (+1000)
    Max weight I've lifted In 2017. Trying to figure out how to cut, thinking of walking on stage next year.

BENCH-----365x1 315x7 https://youtube.com/watch?v=cQnW_pY8Oqs
    SQUAT-----405x1 https://www.instagram.com/p/BS9Pkj6AvL3
    DEADS-----0 Hurt me back :( (while deading)

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Medtreker View Post
    I have similar issue. Have found lifts that pull or push downward on spine while standing are risking a problem.
    Same here. Mainly the pushing down on my spine is the issue. Pulling actually feels good like when I do weighted chins.

Have had disc issues for many years. two bad discs in my back, one in my neck and some rotator issues. Basically any weight that pushes down on my spine or is overhead is an issue. With that said, I love training too much to not do anything so where there's a will there's a way. I do things laying down, like benching. I do dips, chins, 1 arm rows are ok because I'm supported. I can do supported t-bar rows. I can do vertical leg presses, sissy squats, hip belt squats.

So there's still plenty you can do to get in some kind of shape while staying safe and pain free. Even with my bad discs, I feel I'm in better shape than a lot of people my age. Other than the people on this forum or course

I'll never quit. It's in my blood. The iron calls to me, lol.

Good luck and train smart.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Overload View Post
    Same here. Mainly the pushing down on my spine is the issue. Pulling actually feels good like when I do weighted chins.

Have had disc issues for many years. two bad discs in my back, one in my neck and some rotator issues. Basically any weight that pushes down on my spine or is overhead is an issue. With that said, I love training too much to not do anything so where there's a will there's a way. I do things laying down, like benching. I do dips, chins, 1 arm rows are ok because I'm supported. I can do supported t-bar rows. I can do vertical leg presses, sissy squats, hip belt squats.

So there's still plenty you can do to get in some kind of shape while staying safe and pain free. Even with my bad discs, I feel I'm in better shape than a lot of people my age. Other than the people on this forum or course

I'll never quit. It's in my blood. The iron calls to me, lol.

Good luck and train smart.
    Nice to have a few guys that share this issue. Posting anything that claims "No Deadlifting" often causes an storm of criticism and rejection.

I was deadlifting about twice my bodyweight when my back went out. Not during a lift, after later that day. Had MRI taken and Dr told me to stop lifting.

Problem for me is more the nerve damage caused as nerves get squeezed passing through spine disks that are not properly spaced apart anymore. The nerve damage cases weakness and atrophy. That will get much worse if I allow disks to compress enough to bulge or rupture fluid Saks. Huge weight cause great compression leading to certain nerve damage. I'll get opposite results then from heavy deads and heavy squats. And those negative results are immediate and permanent.

I hang from my pull up bar to stretch. I use dozens of lifts and techniques. I do lift heavy. I have found ways around those 2 of the big 3 in order to continue lifting and building. Still working back the strength lost from that nerve damage. Will never quit the game though.
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, the nerve issue is what you have to watch out for. I get from time to time tingling in my extremeties and sometimes one side of my face due to the disc in the neck. So I just have to be careful. Been working around it for years and I may never have a full bodybuilder's physique but as long as I'm doing something, I'm ahead of the game. I just want to avoid having to be sliced open to repair any damage. Don't like the idea of a doctor poking around my spine. It hasn't come to that in all these years so I'll keep doing what I'm doing.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

I checked the links that thelojones suggested. Interesting but rather elaborate. I'm currently working on building back legs with four primary moves. Leg press, lunge, extension, curl. Also secondary moves like calf raises. An alternating schedule of heavy leg press and lunges is beginning to show results.

Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Browns7213 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm 51 and was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in my neck which has led to nerve issues. I've found there are exercises I just can't do any longer as it exacerbates my condition. I stay away from almost all the power movements (squats, dead lifts, etc), but through trial and error I've found plenty of exercises I can do without being laid up, but unfortunately pain is just something I've learned to live with. Have you tried an inversion table as a way to create space between the vertebrae? I have a neck traction unit that I use when the pain gets bad and that helps greatly. Surgery in the neck is just something I am not prepared to do unless I'm totally incapacitated.

Originally Posted by Browns7213 View Post
    Surgery in the neck is just something I am not prepared to do unless I'm totally incapacitated.
    Same here. Don't want anyone poking around my neck or back. Some days are great, some days are so so because I'm not careful. I have tried an inversion table but can't get used that blood rushing to your head feeling although it feels nice to have the sping decompress. I think I'm an inch shorter because of the my disc issues