Page 188 of 192 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 5757
    shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sweet workouts in here Greg. I like the addition of the leg extension. I regret selling my bench that had the extensions on it. Now I am looking for another one. LoL.

Sorry that you are going to need surgery. Like you said though you should end up in a better place when you are done. Hopefully you can run once you are healed up.

I am liking the higher volume stuff as well and like you don't feel as beat up joint and ligament wise.

Yeah, next time double up on that order. You can never have to much steak in freezer.

TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Awesome job on those two sessions Greg! Those CGBP numbers always blow me away. Congrats on the new bench and I hope the podiatrist goes well brother.
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb
    Powerlifting: Squat: 315, Bench: 255, Deadlift: 420
    Running: 5K: 22:46, 10K: 49:49, 15K: 1:28:08, 13.1: 2:03:00
    Metcons: Murph: 29:43, Double Murph: 1:12:01, Cindy: 29 Rounds
    IG: trentmas.nc
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7v5c_ToyBkd6_3hP2jl94w
    Galatians 2:20

PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    Sweet workouts in here Greg. I like the addition of the leg extension. I regret selling my bench that had the extensions on it. Now I am looking for another one. LoL.

Sorry that you are going to need surgery. Like you said though you should end up in a better place when you are done. Hopefully you can run once you are healed up.

I am liking the higher volume stuff as well and like you don't feel as beat up joint and ligament wise.

Yeah, next time double up on that order. You can never have to much steak in freezer.
    Thanks Shane. Yeah I sold my old leg extension bench to my brother so I had the same regre. I'm enjoying this new one so far. I also like the Preacher Curl pad too.

Yeah I'm looking forward to my appointment tomorrow to find out if it's going to be surgery for sure. At this point I really just want to get it over. I think doing that and doing the year of rehad or whatever gives me the best chance of getting to run again. From what I've read that could take 2 years to run, but it's much better than never.

High reps are definitely my friend now. I need to take in more protein to better support the hypertrophy but it's doing pretty well right now anyway...and I really want to keep losing the fat as my highest priority.

Definitely can't have too many steaks in the house. I'm hungry right now just typing that LOL.

Originally Posted by TM79 View Post
    Awesome job on those two sessions Greg! Those CGBP numbers always blow me away. Congrats on the new bench and I hope the podiatrist goes well brother.
    Thanks Trent. Yeah like I was telling Shane I just want to get the foot/ankle taken care of at this point so I can start the recovery. I'm tired of walking around in pain...plus, hopefully I'll be able to get back to running once I'm all healed up.
    If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. Have a miserable day at work and want to break someone's neck but aren't sure who's? Then squat and run hills. - Wendler

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
    My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/
    IG: @greg_slavin

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hope you are doing well Greg. I have been watching the news and seeing all the wild fires out there in Cali. Hopefully they are far from you and your family.

TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000) TM79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hope you are doing well Greg. I have been watching the news and seeing all the wild fires out there in Cali. Hopefully they are far from you and your family.
    +1. I was just thinking how you haven't posted in a while. Hopefully you're doing well Greg.
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    +1. I was just thinking how you haven't posted in a while. Hopefully you're doing well Greg.
    Thanks guys. Yeah we're doing OK over here. There was a 1000 acre fire about 6 miles from our house a oouple of weeks ago, but they kept it from running up the canyon and into town so we were OK, just lots of smoke. We've been innundated with smoke for several weeks, first from that fire, and then from the bigger fires burning in other areas around here. We're in the foothills up against the Sierra Nevada mountains, so smoke collects on top of us and gets stuck here against the mountains. Needless to say there hasn't been a lot of outside activity for me lately.

I'm sorry I haven't been in the forums much lately. Work has been a real Bear. I've literally had to work every day for the last 4 weeks, so I'm usually so tired of the computer I haven't been getting on in my spare time.

I've had some good workouts lately. I changed things up for a while and am mainly doing dumbbell only work (DB BP, etc.) to give all my tendons a break. I'm thinking about doing that for up to 12 weeks. Then I plan to start pushing things again.

I haven't been able to schedule my surgery yet. My insurance company is balking at paying for the MRI for the surgery. I'm not sure why. They said I have to do a month of physical therapy before they'll approve it. My doctor says that's crazy because physical therapy won't help a torn tendon (which he thinks I have) and will actually put more stress on things. I'm a bit frustrated about that but there's not much I can do about it.

I'll try to catch up on your journals later today, to see what you guys have been up to. Hopefully all is going well.
    If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. Have a miserable day at work and want to break someone's neck but aren't sure who's? Then squat and run hills. - Wendler

Good to hear that you and the family are doing well. The amount of smoke that people are reporting out there is nuts but I guess that is to be expected with that much of the state on fire.

I can fully understand the lack of wanting to be back on a computer with you working as much as you have been.

There is no way an MRI would cost them more than a month of physical therapy, that stuff is not cheap. It might be worth it to call and ask what the cash price is for an MRI. Don't tell them you have insurance or they won't tell you the cash price, I learned that the hard way.

Good luck with your DB program. That sounds like a good idea and you might actually find some nice gains in there as well.

Take it easy Greg.

Dang buddy. Sorry to hear about all of the issues with your insurance, smoke and working every day. Definitely sounds like a mess. Hopefully it will all work out sooner rather than later. Glad to hear that the DB's are paying dividends and that you're enjoying that. Hang in there brother.
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

Good to hear that you and the family are doing well. The amount of smoke that people are reporting out there is nuts but I guess that is to be expected with that much of the state on fire.

I can fully understand the lack of wanting to be back on a computer with you working as much as you have been.

There is no way an MRI would cost them more than a month of physical therapy, that stuff is not cheap. It might be worth it to call and ask what the cash price is for an MRI. Don't tell them you have insurance or they won't tell you the cash price, I learned that the hard way.

Good luck with your DB program. That sounds like a good idea and you might actually find some nice gains in there as well.

Take it easy Greg.
    Yeah Shane, the smoke has been something else. It settles right here up against the mountains. We finally got a break for a week or so. Now with the latest batch of fires it came back today. Oh well, I'm just glad all we've had to worry here at my house is smoke so far and no fire. Everyone is waiting for the first big rain storm of the year to wet things down a bit. Unfortunately it probably won't hit for another month or so.

I like your idea about cash for the MRI. I might go that route. After all is said and done I'll have paid $600 out of pocket for the PT. I checked with my health insurance company, and once they finally agree to the MRI, it looks like I'll still be responsible for between $850-$1300 or so, depending on where I get it done. If I just go the cash route, I'm sure it'll be cheaper than that. My health insurance sucks these days. It used to be good, but the company has been reducing coverage and raising prices each year for the past several years.

I enjoyed the dumbbell program but am now looking to get back into some more barbell work mixed with dumbbells. I really hope to make a good run at 400 on the bench...body permitting.

Dang buddy. Sorry to hear about all of the issues with your insurance, smoke and working every day. Definitely sounds like a mess. Hopefully it will all work out sooner rather than later. Glad to hear that the DB's are paying dividends and that you're enjoying that. Hang in there brother.
    Thanks Trent. Yeah it's all good. Lots of challenges this year, but I'm still counting my blessings. Foot notwithstanding, I've got my health, my family, a job, and a good house (with a nice gym ), so we're doing better than a lot of others. About 40 miles north of here is Paradise (that got destroyed by that fire a few years ago) and they just got evacuated again, from the fire that is smoking us out. Things are good here compared to there for sure.

7:00 am - Home

This morning I completed 531 One Exercise Per Bodypart (C59_1A) as follows:

Bison Bar Squats 10-70, 8-85, 6-95, 5-105, 4-115

Calf Raises 20-95, 18-95, 16-95, 14-95, 12-95
    Superset with:
    Leg Extensions 12-50, 11-60, 10-70, 9-70, 8-70

Decline Situps 12, 11, 10, 9, 8
    Superset with:
    Wtd. Hypers 12-35, 11-35, 10-35, 9-35, 8-35

Bodyweight: 206.0 Pounds (Down 13.0 pounds from 219.0 on 7/2)

Workout Duration: 0:28:34.54 h:mm:ss.ms (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Work has finally started to slow down for a while (at least for the next few weeks LOL), so I'm taking the opportunity to start logging again. I'll catch up on all your journals later tonight or tomorrow morning.

I started a new workout plan tody and so far so good. It's a 4 Day Split which I think will give me the best recovery. Last week I started a 6 Day PPL Split that was good but I'll save it for later as I think recovery would've been tough on that one. This new program is based on one I found in the book "Ironman's Ultimate Guide to Building Muscle Mass". It's my go-to book when I want to try something new. Of course I'm using the 531 percentages for the big exercises...but with more reps.

I'm still waiting to finish Physical Therapy and potentially get scheduled for foot surgery. In the meantime, even though the doctor advised against it, I've started doing very light squats and trap bar deadlifts. If I have the surgery I likely will be out of commission with legs again for 6 months to a year so I figured what the hell, I'll keep them light and do them for a little while before that happens.

Glad to see you back at it Greg! I don't blame you for throwing some lighter leg work in the mix. I would probably do the same thing. Not to discredit the medical community, but they aren't the ones going through life dealing with what we are dealing with. They may be very intelligent when it comes to what they have been trained to do (and trained to tell us), but in the end, we know our bodies better than anyone. My podiatrist was shocked to find out that I had been running for 6 months since the last time I saw him. I told him that I wasn't pushing off as much on my toes (running more flat-footed) and generally avoid movements that involve what I just mentioned (flexing and pushing off from the toes) and my pain had largely subsided. Anyway, I think some light leg work with very deliberate form should be fine. Also glad to hear you are doing well with the fires. Good looking session yesterday and hope to see you around more often brother.
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

Nice to see you around Greg. I will pretty much completely echo Trent's sentiment on Drs. You know what your body can or can't take and if you keep it light I am sure you will be fine.

Glad to hear that work has slowed some for you and you have more time. The years seem to fly by the busier we are so sometimes it is nice to be able to stop and enjoy the scenery. Of course with the way 2020 has been maybe we need it to hurry bye. LoL.

Unfortunately with healthcare I think that is not just your company but also what is available. Our company shops for healthcare every year and it seems every year it is more expensive for both the company and employee and they offer less and less. It is easily one of the most expensive things I purchase monthly.

New program looks good. I seem to always fall back to 531 as well. It is just so easy to program with.

Glad to see you back at it Greg! I don't blame you for throwing some lighter leg work in the mix. I would probably do the same thing. Not to discredit the medical community, but they aren't the ones going through life dealing with what we are dealing with. They may be very intelligent when it comes to what they have been trained to do (and trained to tell us), but in the end, we know our bodies better than anyone. My podiatrist was shocked to find out that I had been running for 6 months since the last time I saw him. I told him that I wasn't pushing off as much on my toes (running more flat-footed) and generally avoid movements that involve what I just mentioned (flexing and pushing off from the toes) and my pain had largely subsided. Anyway, I think some light leg work with very deliberate form should be fine. Also glad to hear you are doing well with the fires. Good looking session yesterday and hope to see you around more often brother.
    Thanks Trent. It's good to be back on here and getting caught up. I missed hearing about what you guys are up to.

Yeah, I think Doctors do the best they can with their training, but a lot of times their knowledge seems to be limited or they are very conservative about things. My Podiatrist seems to be very good and is well-respected in this area, but I think his assessment that I won't be able to run again was premature and innacurate (I hope). Maybe they do that though to do a CYA thing to keep from over promising what they can deliver or to inspire you to prove them wrong or something. In any case, it's our bodies, and we have the ultimate power to decide what we do or don't do.

Nice to see you around Greg. I will pretty much completely echo Trent's sentiment on Drs. You know what your body can or can't take and if you keep it light I am sure you will be fine.

Glad to hear that work has slowed some for you and you have more time. The years seem to fly by the busier we are so sometimes it is nice to be able to stop and enjoy the scenery. Of course with the way 2020 has been maybe we need it to hurry bye. LoL.

Unfortunately with healthcare I think that is not just your company but also what is available. Our company shops for healthcare every year and it seems every year it is more expensive for both the company and employee and they offer less and less. It is easily one of the most expensive things I purchase monthly.

New program looks good. I seem to always fall back to 531 as well. It is just so easy to program with.
    Thanks Shane. I was sure sorry to be away for so long. I'm just glad I'm finally getting a little chance to breath at work and catch back up in here.

For this cycle, I lowered the weight on most things to focus more on form and lifting with more attention to detail to hit the muscles better. For legs I really went light, and the funny thing is I'm still getting pumps and can see some results, so I'm very happy about that.

Yeah I agree about the health care. I just get pissed when my premiums go up so much and I wind up paying more and more out of pocket at the same time. Like you say though that's just the way it is now for most people. At least it's good to have some coverage in case something serious pops up.

I'm really liking the new program so far. Going a little higher on the rep ranges on the 531 exercises is feeling good. The only thing is that I need to do AMRAP sets on my heaviest 4 rep sets. I forgot to do that on my first 2 workouts. I really love getting some bodybuilding exercises/sets in there too.

6:40 am - Home

Yesterday I completed 531 One Exercise Per Bodypart (C59_1B) as follows:

Shoulder Rehab - Red Bands

Decline Bench 15-45, 10-135, 8-155, 6-175, 5-195, 4-215
    Superset with:
    TBar Rows 10-80, 8-100, 6-105, 5-120, 4-140

Incline Bench 12-165, 10-165, 8-165
    Superset with:
    DB BOLR 12-15, 10-15, 8-20

Tri-set:
    Lat Pulldowns 10-60, 8-75, 6-85, 5-95, 15-105
    Arm Blaster EZ Curls 12-65, 10-65, 8-65
    EZ Bar French Press 12-65, 10-65, 8-65

Bodyweight: 206.6 Pounds (Down 12.4 pounds from 219.0 on 7/2)

Workout Duration: 0:53:01.76 h:mm:ss.ms (with 1:00 rest between sets)

Good workout yesterday. My left elbow was sore on the first set of French Press but it warmed up and felt better after that.

I started this cycle with light weights to focus on form. It worked well but the Lat Pulldowns felt too light so I'll probably make an adjustment there for next week.

Great looking session today Greg! Solid sets on the decline and incline bench and love all the combos. Solid accessory combo as well. Nothing wrong with going light and focusing on form. Now is a good time to do that too, I suppose... Way to get after brother!
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

Nice workout Greg! Those decline BP numbers are strong man! Good to see you are still able to do some T bar rows. I have been really glad to make those a staple in my own routine.

I found with my triceps work it is an absolute necessity to warm the elbows up with some light band work or hitting a really light set first. It might help your elbows as well.

Great looking session today Greg! Solid sets on the decline and incline bench and love all the combos. Solid accessory combo as well. Nothing wrong with going light and focusing on form. Now is a good time to do that too, I suppose... Way to get after brother!
    Thanks Trent. I've been experimenting a lot lately and working through various plans trying to find the right fit. I'll be posting soon...and hopefully more regularly.

Nice workout Greg! Those decline BP numbers are strong man! Good to see you are still able to do some T bar rows. I have been really glad to make those a staple in my own routine.

I found with my triceps work it is an absolute necessity to warm the elbows up with some light band work or hitting a really light set first. It might help your elbows as well.
    Thanks Shane. Yeah I've been focusing a lot more on warming up lately. Especially as it gets colder that is making more and more sense. The last thing I want to do is get more aches and pains...or tear something else. LOL!

I'll be posting some workout updates soon, but as I head into work out I just saw that CNN and Fox News have called the election for Trump and I felt like posting here to get some thoughts off my chest so I can have a good workout.

I know that my views on this is different from others on here, including some people I really respect. I don't want to offend anyone but I do want to offer my perspective.

I have always been middle of the road politically with conservative leanings. Having said that I'm thrilled that it looks like Biden will win and Trump will lose. I think Trump is a cancer on our country and if left in charge will continue leading us towards a very dark place. Please read on to see why I say this.

I think that morally Trump is reprehensible. He cheats on everything (wife, taxes, etc.) and constantly lies. He attacks those that are weak and doesn't really respect anyone as far as I can tell (veterans, disabled, the list goes on). Really I think he violates everything I feel Christianity stands for. I think my evangelical brothers have ignored this because of his views on taxes, judge choices, etc. I think it's a deal with the Devil. Like everyone that works, I enjoy paying less taxes, but to get that at the expense of selling out my soul and beliefs is not worth it at all.

I think Biden is a good man. Is the most dynamic or inspiring leader?...not by a long shot. I think his strength is that he'll help to bring civility back to our country. He's no Socialist and socialism is not going to take over. There are certainly socialists in the Democratic party (AOC, etc.) and socialists who try to run as Democrats (i.e. Bernie), and they might win local or congressional contests, but nationally they won't go anywhere. They can't even win the Democratic nomination, and if you read the party platform their core views are not part of it. I truly believe most people are like me, "middle roaders"/conservative, and thus extreme views on the edges of either party will never rule the land.

Most of all, I miss times when we could have civil discussions even if our views were different. Under Trump the country has become more polarized than ever. Some of that is because of the media of course, but I think a lot of it is due to the way Trump views the world. It is black and white. You're either with him or you're the enemy. Republicans who dared to disagree were dismissed as RINOs, including people who were Republicans way longer than him and who had much better conservative track records. He only recently became a Republican and that was so he could run for office. That's crazy and it's killing our country. We were built on differences and picking and choosing from them to wind up with the best. Demonizing people with different beliefs is wrong and it's anti-American.

Sorry to rant on, but that is what I believe...and I just had to get it off my chest.

Now it's off to lift...

Welcome back Greg.

While I agree with Trump certainly being someone who I definitely would not want my daughter to marry I still agree with a lot of his business dealings with how he has handled trade and tariffs on China, Mexico etc. If we are ever going to be a country that brings back manufacturing to this country the tariffs would help to even out the large wage gap that China and Mexico uses to leverage their goods for cheaper than we can make them here. A strong economy heals a lot of wounds.

I also don't think Trump has been the biggest issue as to why we can't talk to each other in a civilized manner. He certainly doesn't help but I believe the beginning of the end of civil discourse was news medias that chose sides. Fox News, CNN, etc., who feeds their bases half truths and whole lies. On top of all of this people use ********, Twitter, etc to live and argue in their own giant echo chambers while allowing them to say anything they want from behind the safety of a screen.

I agree with you that most all of us are pretty much the same middle of the road. We all get up, go to work and just try to do the best we can for our families. I hope you are right that Biden can come back and bring some unity to the country. We as citizens need to call out our politicians and our news medias for using such language about their opposition that is considered do or die. Vote for me or this guy is going to eat your babies platforms only further divides this country.

I have friends who are Biden supporters and Trump supporters. None of us let politics get in the way of being civil or being friends. My preacher says that with people and politics, where they stand is from where they sit. We all have our reasons and they are deep rooted, no need to hate someone for that.

Good luck with your weight session, hopefully you will be around more often.

Welcome back Greg.

While I agree with Trump certainly being someone who I definitely would not want my daughter to marry I still agree with a lot of his business dealings with how he has handled trade and tariffs on China, Mexico etc. If we are ever going to be a country that brings back manufacturing to this country the tariffs would help to even out the large wage gap that China and Mexico uses to leverage their goods for cheaper than we can make them here. A strong economy heals a lot of wounds.

I also don't think Trump has been the biggest issue as to why we can't talk to each other in a civilized manner. He certainly doesn't help but I believe the beginning of the end of civil discourse was news medias that chose sides. Fox News, CNN, etc., who feeds their bases half truths and whole lies. On top of all of this people use ********, Twitter, etc to live and argue in their own giant echo chambers while allowing them to say anything they want from behind the safety of a screen.

I agree with you that most all of us are pretty much the same middle of the road. We all get up, go to work and just try to do the best we can for our families. I hope you are right that Biden can come back and bring some unity to the country. We as citizens need to call out our politicians and our news medias for using such language about their opposition that is considered do or die. Vote for me or this guy is going to eat your babies platforms only further divides this country.

I have friends who are Biden supporters and Trump supporters. None of us let politics get in the way of being civil or being friends. My preacher says that with people and politics, where they stand is from where they sit. We all have our reasons and they are deep rooted, no need to hate someone for that.

Good luck with your weight session, hopefully you will be around more often.

That was a good reply Shane. I think we disagree about a few things but agree about a lot more.

I definitely agree about the economy and about trying to bring manufacturing jobs back. The only real negative with the tariffs I saw was with the soy farmers. They mainly export their soy to China so it hurt their business. They did get subsidies to help that out though. The only other negative I saw as a consumer was the decrease in cheap China goods, especially lifting related goods. Companies such as Titan had a lot less stock and prices went up. It hit a lot of companies like this. My company builds electronic video equipment. Our products are filled with Integrated Circuit chips and components, many of which come from China, as it hasn't been cost-effective to produce them in the US for a long time (i.e. dangerous for workers to produce with cancerous materials, etc.) This made it harder for us to get the components we need to produce our products.

I was very torn about all of this but I really think we should be doing more to protect Amaerican businesses. If it means we have to pay more for goods then that is the price we have to pay. For too long we haven't done this and our businesses have shed jobs because of it.

I also agree about the media. When I watch the news I tend to watch both CNN and Fox News. I flip back and forth when I get tired of one and just turn it off when I get tired of both. 24 hours news has screwed us up. They have to have programmming so they tend to take a mole hill and turn it into a mountain just to fill the air time. They also try to get ratings by using sensational stories, that while based on fact have a heck of a lot of opinion based upon their political leanings.

Social media is even worse. There is a movie called "The Social Dilemma" on Netflix. I highly recommend it. It's got former executives and engineers from the main social media companies talking about how they work...it's very disturbing. One of the most disturbing things is that they show us different news, not only based upon what we like, but also based upon where we live. Somone is GA sees different news from someone in CA. Thus, we see things and wonder what the hell is wrong with that person, don't they see what I see?...and how can they think that way given what we have seen? The short answer is they haven't seen what you or I have seen and I haven't seen what you have seen. That movie was a real eye opener.

In the end I hope I'm right about Biden too. I think he is a uniter and based upon his speech last night I think that's really what he'll try to do. Throughout his career he was famous for working with both sides of the aisle and I think that's what we need right now. The us against them mindset hasn't been working too well for us lately. There was a Charlie Daniels song about the country coming together as Americans and I hope that's what will happen. Like you see we as citizens do need to stand up to our media and politicians. It's our country and they damn sure should be treating it with more respect.

All right, that's enough politics for me for a while. I think it's time for me to go block the politial channels from my cable and focus on some football for a while.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Since the last time I posted I was able to get in and do the MRI on my foot/ankle. It turns out I didn't have a tear in the Poterior Tibial Tendon like they thought. Instead I have a very stretched out Spring Ligament in my right foot that has caused my arch to completely collapse. This was probably partly caused by the number of twisted ankles I've had over the years...or maybe it was the cause of the twisted ankles (chicken, egg kind of thing). Also, my heel is shifted to far to the outside on that foot. Because of these two things my right foot is badly splayed out to the right and things don't correctly line up over my ankle. When I land on it (running) or put weight on it (squats, deadlifts) it I put a lot of extra tension on my ankle and there is no spring to keep it from pushing straight towards the ground which causes all sorts of issues and pain. So on 11/18 I'm going to have surgery with two procedures to fix my foot up.

One procedure is called a Calcaneal Osteotomy. Basically they cut off the back of my heel, moved it back to center and then put in some screws that will remain there for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVBIl295Rwg

The other procedure is a Spring Ligament reconstruction. For this one they drill some holes in the bone above the arch and insert a brace that they tighten up to raise the arch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEocnyAGcFg

I'll have around a 6 month recovery but after that he said I should be OK to trail run, squat, deadlift, etc., so I'm looking forward to getting it done.

9:44 am - Home

Yesterday I completed a KSC Powerbuilding (C60_2A) as follows:

Decline Bench 12-135, 10-165, 8-195, 6-225, 3 sets of 5 @ 245
    Superset with:
    Band Facepulls 7 sets of 15 w/ Purple Band

Decline Bench CGBP 3 sets of 5 @ 195
    Superset with:
    Preacher Curls 12-90, 10-90, 8-90

Tri-set:
    DB Incline BP 12-50, 10-50, 8-50
    DB Flyes 12-20, 10-20, 8-20
    Incline DB Hammer Curls 12-30, 10-30, 8-30

Bodyweight: 200.0 Pounds (Down 19.0 pounds from 219.0 on 7/2)

Workout Duration: 0:52:05.13 h:mm:ss.ms (with 0:30 rest between sets)

Good workout. In the past several months I've been trying various programs and exercises. Most recently I was playing around with the 8x8 program from Vince Gironda and prior to that Sheiko's Bench Specialization program. I finally decided to try Andy Baker's KSC Powerbuilding program for a while. I'll only be able to do squats and deadlifts for 1.5 more weeks until my surgery. At that point I'll probably combine the KSC program with Sheiko or come up with some other upper body only program while my foot heals up.

Progress Pics:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CHTNXBvgOTG/?hl=en
    Last edited by PtReyesGreg; 11-10-2020 at 04:27 PM.

9:15 am - Home

This morning I completed a KSC Powerbuilding (C60_2B) as follows:

SSB Box Squats 5-120, 5-145, 5-165, 5-200, 3 sets of 5 @ 215

Tri-set:
    Calf Raises 3 sets of 12 @ 165
    Leg Extensions 3 sets of 12 @ 75
    Leg Curls 3 sets of 10 @ 75

Decline Situps 3 sets of 15
    Superset with:
    Reverse Hypers 3 sets of 15

Bodyweight: 200.0 Pounds (Down 19.0 pounds from 219.0 on 7/2)

Workout Duration: 0:30:15.12 h:mm:ss.ms (with 0:30 rest between sets)

Good workout. Squats felt good and my foot actually didn't hurt too bad today which was nice.
    Last edited by PtReyesGreg; 11-10-2020 at 04:27 PM.

Good reply Greg. I watched the Social Dilemma. It caused me to cancel my ******** account and remove IG off my phone. I planned to stay off of IG until the first of the year but I peaked back in this weekend on my laptop.

Progress pics, awesome job man! Definitely a lot leaner in those pics and uncovered the muscle you are carrying.

Programming looks solid and your numbers are strong as always.

That is great news that with recovery you will be able to run again. I know there was some doubt about that from the first opinion you got so even though it is a long road to recovery there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good to see back posting in here.

Glad to see you posting again Greg. I had been wondering how you were doing. Saw the progress photos on IG. That is some serious progress brother! Solid last couple of sessions. Very jealous of those DB numbers. Glad to hear that you are going to get the ankle fixed buddy. That is a long recovery but hopefully you'll be as good as new on the other side.

I had written a very long response to your post about the election but ended up saving it on my computer. I might post it later. Lol. It is respectful and I really appreciate your opinion on this stuff.
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

Good reply Greg. I watched the Social Dilemma. It caused me to cancel my ******** account and remove IG off my phone. I planned to stay off of IG until the first of the year but I peaked back in this weekend on my laptop.

Progress pics, awesome job man! Definitely a lot leaner in those pics and uncovered the muscle you are carrying.

Programming looks solid and your numbers are strong as always.

That is great news that with recovery you will be able to run again. I know there was some doubt about that from the first opinion you got so even though it is a long road to recovery there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good to see back posting in here.
    Yeah it sounds like the Social Dilemma disturbed you like me. I didn't cancel my ******** account but I haven't been posting there and don't really look at it anymore. I kept IG too, and post every once in a while now, but I turned off notifications from it. At some point I'll probably bite the bullet and cancel my accounts on both of them.

My eating has been much better and it seems to be showing by helping get rid of fat. I've been doing Intermittent Fasting (I've really gotten used to it now) and eating pretty Low Carb. I'm not fanatical about it but I stay on track more days than not.

I'm really excited about the possibility to run again. Of course the doctor said no guarantees but he seemed pretty positive that it'd be much more likely for me to be good to go with running and lifting after I heal up than not. In the end, in terms of surgical options, both the first opinion and second opinion were very close. I wound up deciding to go wih the second opinion. He's an orhtopedic surgeon who's one of the best in the Sacramento area. I think he'll do a good job.

Glad to see you posting again Greg. I had been wondering how you were doing. Saw the progress photos on IG. That is some serious progress brother! Solid last couple of sessions. Very jealous of those DB numbers. Glad to hear that you are going to get the ankle fixed buddy. That is a long recovery but hopefully you'll be as good as new on the other side.

I had written a very long response to your post about the election but ended up saving it on my computer. I might post it later. Lol. It is respectful and I really appreciate your opinion on this stuff.
    Thanks Trent. I enjoy posting on here so I'm planning to make it a regular habit again. I have to keep track of what you and Shane are up to.

I'm very hopeful about the surgery. I'll be using crutches for 6 weeks after the surgery but they said after physical therapy etc. I should be good as new (or maybe better in my case) in 6 months.

Feel free to post the response you wrote. Like I was telling Shane, I enjoy hearing other viewpoints. I think being able to listen and hear others is what makes our country great. Of course we don't have to agree on everything, and probably won't, but being able to listen and hear are important I think. I'm very hopeful that Biden will be able to do that with both sides of the aisle and break some of our legislative gridlock. Apparently he's pretty good friends with both Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham so hopefully they can get together on a few things. I'm also hopeful that Biden will stay middle of the road and not let the progressive Democrats push him too far out there. Hopefully my optimism is well placed...if not I think our country will not wind up in a good place.

Well, here goes. I was writing this this morning and pretty much ran out of time. Plus I like to read back through things like this to make sure it is written correctly. Honestly, there was more I wanted to say, but kind of left it at this.

I have to say that I was excited to read your post about the election. I know we don't agree on everything but I respect you a lot and looked forward to reading about your views on those issues. A lot of people on both sides of the aisle tend to be very ugly when expressing their opinions about these topics, especially online, but as I figured you would, you kept it respectful and I appreciate that. When it comes to Trump, I agree with many of your sentiments. Sadly, as a Christian, I see our society and the world moving further and further away from Christ and when it comes to voting, unfortunately, it isn't much of a choice nowadays. Twenty years ago that wasn't really the case, but now, for me, the democrats don't have a platform left for me to support. Their social platform is in stark contrast to biblical values and I would agree with someone who says that if you are a Christian and believe the Bible to be the word of God (and generally try to live by it), it is now impossible to be a democrat. And I realize you may not be a Christian and am not bashing you for that or anything, I'm just explaining how we chose Donald Trump. As painful as it was, his stances on the issues still lined up with our values the most. As for the economy, that is another issue entirely. On a basic level, I think we all agree that government-run programs are extremely wasteful and lack efficiency. Also, since they are not competing with other companies (like in the private sector), there is no motivation to save money, be efficient or innovative. Therefore, as a general rule, I would always vote for the party who is in favor of less government-run programs, which, of course is the republicans. And while the democrats always say they'll "be tough on China" or that they will "bring jobs back to America", it is smoke and mirrors as raising taxes and regulations will always send jobs overseas. So, in theory, that's why many people like me chose Donald Trump. It’s not that we think he is a good role model or love his attitude. He is simply the better choice policy-wise. As for Biden, like Obama, he is a great speaker. I appreciate his remarks about wanting to unify our nation and hope that, if elected president (which technically he still hasn't been), he will do exactly that. I have heard enough about him to have come to the conclusion that he is a career politician who has used his power to line his family's pockets, and at least some of those instances appear to be somewhat unethical. I have no personal knowledge of these dealings, but that is what I heard. As you mentioned, some folks in the democratic party have gone very far left, toward socialism and that is something that I can't get behind at all. As you and Shane were discussing, I am, by far, most disgusted with the media and social media (and big tech). To me it is unethical to claim to be news media and to take a stance one way or the other/intentionally not report stories on someone/smear someone else, etc. They should report (all of) the news in an unbiased way and let people decide for themselves. And the online censorship and manipulation is just as horrendous. I would like to see a company come out with actual unbiased versions of all of these platforms and a mass migration of people to those platforms. That will bring the unity that we all desire. And while I'm being hypothetical, I would like to see the Republican party "rebrand" itself. This has really occurred to me the last ten years or so and I still can't figure out why they don't do it. I would like to see them take a little bit stronger roll on the environment (not crazy but moderate). Then, they need to get away from this, "old rich white guy" image and rebrand themselves as a party for all, embracing and engaging younger people and people of all ages/races. The left has done a great job of this, even with (IMO) an inferior platform. They are basically the default choice of almost anyone in our country. The pop culture, media and university system just steer them straight to the left. I told someone that a few years ago when discussing this. I said, "you know, to become a conservative, I really had to think for myself because literally nothing else that is common in our society would lead you in that direction." As I mentioned in Shane's journal, I think that covid will ultimately lead us in more of a socialist direction, and the democrats will probably take that a lot further than the republicans. That scares me. There has also been discussion of packing the court and getting rid of the electoral college. That also scares me. In the midst of a pandemic, I could have gone for four years of a strong, Trump economy to get us back on track. Not higher taxes and restrictions.

Sorry to join in and rant in your journal. I really do appreciate and value your opinion Greg. And this is a very healthy discussion, IMO. Something that seems to be increasingly rare nowadays.
    All-Time PR's and Info:
    M, 5'10", 175 lb

Well, here goes. I was writing this this morning and pretty much ran out of time. Plus I like to read back through things like this to make sure it is written correctly. Honestly, there was more I wanted to say, but kind of left it at this.

I have to say that I was excited to read your post about the election. I know we don't agree on everything but I respect you a lot and looked forward to reading about your views on those issues. A lot of people on both sides of the aisle tend to be very ugly when expressing their opinions about these topics, especially online, but as I figured you would, you kept it respectful and I appreciate that. When it comes to Trump, I agree with many of your sentiments. Sadly, as a Christian, I see our society and the world moving further and further away from Christ and when it comes to voting, unfortunately, it isn't much of a choice nowadays. Twenty years ago that wasn't really the case, but now, for me, the democrats don't have a platform left for me to support. Their social platform is in stark contrast to biblical values and I would agree with someone who says that if you are a Christian and believe the Bible to be the word of God (and generally try to live by it), it is now impossible to be a democrat. And I realize you may not be a Christian and am not bashing you for that or anything, I'm just explaining how we chose Donald Trump. As painful as it was, his stances on the issues still lined up with our values the most. As for the economy, that is another issue entirely. On a basic level, I think we all agree that government-run programs are extremely wasteful and lack efficiency. Also, since they are not competing with other companies (like in the private sector), there is no motivation to save money, be efficient or innovative. Therefore, as a general rule, I would always vote for the party who is in favor of less government-run programs, which, of course is the republicans. And while the democrats always say they'll "be tough on China" or that they will "bring jobs back to America", it is smoke and mirrors as raising taxes and regulations will always send jobs overseas. So, in theory, that's why many people like me chose Donald Trump. It’s not that we think he is a good role model or love his attitude. He is simply the better choice policy-wise. As for Biden, like Obama, he is a great speaker. I appreciate his remarks about wanting to unify our nation and hope that, if elected president (which technically he still hasn't been), he will do exactly that. I have heard enough about him to have come to the conclusion that he is a career politician who has used his power to line his family's pockets, and at least some of those instances appear to be somewhat unethical. I have no personal knowledge of these dealings, but that is what I heard. As you mentioned, some folks in the democratic party have gone very far left, toward socialism and that is something that I can't get behind at all. As you and Shane were discussing, I am, by far, most disgusted with the media and social media (and big tech). To me it is unethical to claim to be news media and to take a stance one way or the other/intentionally not report stories on someone/smear someone else, etc. They should report (all of) the news in an unbiased way and let people decide for themselves. And the online censorship and manipulation is just as horrendous. I would like to see a company come out with actual unbiased versions of all of these platforms and a mass migration of people to those platforms. That will bring the unity that we all desire. And while I'm being hypothetical, I would like to see the Republican party "rebrand" itself. This has really occurred to me the last ten years or so and I still can't figure out why they don't do it. I would like to see them take a little bit stronger roll on the environment (not crazy but moderate). Then, they need to get away from this, "old rich white guy" image and rebrand themselves as a party for all, embracing and engaging younger people and people of all ages/races. The left has done a great job of this, even with (IMO) an inferior platform. They are basically the default choice of almost anyone in our country. The pop culture, media and university system just steer them straight to the left. I told someone that a few years ago when discussing this. I said, "you know, to become a conservative, I really had to think for myself because literally nothing else that is common in our society would lead you in that direction." As I mentioned in Shane's journal, I think that covid will ultimately lead us in more of a socialist direction, and the democrats will probably take that a lot further than the republicans. That scares me. There has also been discussion of packing the court and getting rid of the electoral college. That also scares me. In the midst of a pandemic, I could have gone for four years of a strong, Trump economy to get us back on track. Not higher taxes and restrictions.

Sorry to join in and rant in your journal. I really do appreciate and value your opinion Greg. And this is a very healthy discussion, IMO. Something that seems to be increasingly rare nowadays.
    That was a good response Trent. There are many things we don't agree about but I enjoyed reading your thoughts and ideas about things. At this point I'm feeling pretty burned out on politics. Honestly I don't see a lot of differences in the two major parties. They are all about getting reelected, staying in power, and lining their pockets as far as I can tell.

I am worried about the future of our country coming out of this election. Primarily I am worried that there is such a disparity in opinions about the sanctity of this election. Honestly I don't think there was any massive voter fraud. If there was, I'm sure the Trump campaign would have publicized concrete examples of it and sued for that in court. So far the things they have brought to court have been non-issues and have been dismissed. I really think the time has come to put up or shut up about it. That is just my opinion, though, and I understand you might feel differently. If they don't have proof for their allegations, sowing doubt about our election process and declaring that the election was stolen is just reckless. Again if it's true and they have proof that's one thing, I just haven't seen any proof to back up their claims.

With the above I'm not talking about his right to have recounts and also observers present during the countin. Those are legitimate rights of his, or any candidate, to exercise. I'm just talking about allegations without good proof.

I went off on a tangent there. I think the main thing is our country has good people like you and Shane (and hopefully me too) and I think as long as that's the case we'll come out fine in the end.
    Last edited by PtReyesGreg; 11-10-2020 at 04:34 PM.

6:51 am - Home

This morning I completed a KSC Powerbuilding (C60_2C) as follows:

Football Bar Military Press 5-75, 5-85, 5-95, 3 sets of 5 @ 105
    Superset with:
    DB SLR 3 sets of 8 @ 20 / DB BOLR 3 sets of 10 @ 20

Seated DB OHP 12-25, 10-25, 8-25
    Superset with:
    Dips (Recon Ron Wk 1) 6-25, 5-25, 5-25, 4-25, 3-25

Bodyweight: 202.6 Pounds (Down 16.4 pounds from 219.0 on 7/2)

Workout Duration: 0:26:55.77 h:mm:ss.ms (with 0:30 rest between sets)

Good workout. I'm starting to build up strength again in the Military Press with the Football Bar, with no shoulder pain so that's huge.

My accessories all felt light today so I need to bump up the weight a bit across the board.

Page 188 of 192 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 ... LastLast