Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    NathanH27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is this a good vertical jump workout to increase vertical jump?

Deadlifts 4x8
    Lunges to step ups 4x8
    Romanian deadlifts 4x8
    Power clean 4x12
    Split squat 4x8
    Hamstring curls 4x8
    Box squats 5x8
    Jump rope 10 minutes

Mobility and stretching afterwards

I know, this is only the weights part of the vertical jump workout, I do have reactive and explosive workouts that I do ontop of this workout, I just want the weights part evaluated by the forum. Also, any recommendations of exercises to add, exercises to take out, and how many days a week I should do this workout would be appreciated. Thanks!

rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Post the plyo of your workout too.

The volume on some of those lifts are way to high.

deadlift 1x5
    power clean 3-5x3
    box squat 3-5x5

Jumping rope won't really help your vertical. And if you do it for 10 minutes you are only hitting slow twitch fibers, which won't help with jumping. If the trends continue, your plyometric workout probably has too much volume, which could even hurt your vertical.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NathanH27 View Post
    Deadlifts 4x8
    Lunges to step ups 4x8
    Romanian deadlifts 4x8
    Power clean 4x12
    Split squat 4x8
    Hamstring curls 4x8
    Box squats 5x8
    Jump rope 10 minutes

Mobility and stretching afterwards

I know, this is only the weights part of the vertical jump workout, I do have reactive and explosive workouts that I do ontop of this workout, I just want the weights part evaluated by the forum. Also, any recommendations of exercises to add, exercises to take out, and how many days a week I should do this workout would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Sorry mate. Redundant exercises and seemingly arbitrary set/rep scheme.

Also, as user above says, it only matters in the context of the entire program. That includes reactives/plyos and conditioning.

a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) a_emory is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Hamstring cutis are for girls.

Go run, swim or ride a bike for 10 minutes if you are interested in some kind of cardio stimulus. I would suggest that this, for lack of a better word--isolated approach, is a mistake.

If you want to jump rope challenge your coordination or intensity with something like double unders.
    www.crossfit.com

MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikaHell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would add calf raises as well for vertical training!

NathanH27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rhymeswithcash View Post
    Post the plyo of your workout too.

The volume on some of those lifts are way to high.

deadlift 1x5
    power clean 3-5x3
    box squat 3-5x5

Jumping rope won't really help your vertical. And if you do it for 10 minutes you are only hitting slow twitch fibers, which won't help with jumping. If the trends continue, your plyometric workout probably has too much volume, which could even hurt your vertical.
    Here is the Plyo part of the routine, to be completed on a seperate day than the weights

Plyo circuit (2x per week)
    -broad jumps 4x8
    -Depth jumps 4x6
    -moving zig zags 3x15m
    -side to side box jumps 3x8 each direction
    -4 corners and single leg 4 corners 4x8 squares of each
    -the unloading jump 3x6
    -lunge jumps 2x20
    -start in a seat and with no countermovement jump 3x10
    -standing two foot rim jumps 3x10
    -standing one foot rim jump 3x10 per leg
    -ankle jumps 4x30

rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhymeswithcash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your volume is a bit too high. You need to give full effort on every rep to activate the fast twitch fibers, high reps will not do this.

broad jump 5x3
    depth jump 6x3
    side to side box jumps 3x4 each direction
    not sure what the unloading jump is
    I would replace lunge jumps with 3x5 depth jumps (I've found squat jumps have better carry-over to actual jumping)
    2 foot rim jumps 4x4
    1 foot rim jumps 4x4(each)
    I would also add 5x20 yard sprints (full recover between each sprint)

You need to give maximum effort on each exercise, to work the fast twitch fibers. You can't treat intense plyometrics the same as you would lifting for hypertrophy volume wise. If you do, you get more endurance, not explosiveness. Also, do core work, hip flexor work, and upper body.

Furthermore, it would benefit you from learning proper jumping technique. For one foot jumping, watch videos of Olympic high jumper- stay tall, smoothly accelerate, no stutter steps. The same goes for two foot technique.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NathanH27 View Post
    Here is the Plyo part of the routine, to be completed on a seperate day than the weights

Plyo circuit (2x per week)
    -broad jumps 4x8
    -Depth jumps 4x6
    -moving zig zags 3x15m
    -side to side box jumps 3x8 each direction
    -4 corners and single leg 4 corners 4x8 squares of each
    -the unloading jump 3x6
    -lunge jumps 2x20
    -start in a seat and with no countermovement jump 3x10
    -standing two foot rim jumps 3x10
    -standing one foot rim jump 3x10 per leg
    -ankle jumps 4x30
    Rhymeswithcash is correct. Way too much volume for a plyo workout and still develop power. In fact, I'd do even less than he's suggested.

Simplify both your sessions by removing redundant exercises and you'll have the makings of a good routine.

churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) churley57 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Too much volume ESPECIALLY on power cleans you dont need that many reps per set AT ALL
    15 years old
    Best meet lifts: 468/242/441 raw w/ sleeves
    Best gym lifts: 550/270/515 @ 198
    USPA Sub-Junior 13-15 American Squat Record Holder
    Next Meet: USPA Raw Nationals on July 8th, 2017
    Journey to becoming the first teenager to total 2000 in sleeves

1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Official vertical/jumping/dunking thread POST ALL VERT QUESTIONS HERE

So this summer I made tons of gains on my vert, I can dunk easily now with two hands, but now that school started our basketball coach is making us run cross country for conditioning, 2 hours a day 5 days a week. How do I maintain my vert? I was thinking doing a few sets of depth jumps when I get home or something but I think that would lead to overtraining, and I would have to re warmup. Idk what to do, in my opinion cross country is horrible for basketball, better to do interval sprints or something

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your coach is making you guys do cross country? lmao.

I wouldnt do depth jumps or anything like that after practice, Thats tough on tired knees.

You could do something on Saturday and take Sunday off, but Ive never heard that one before.

Maybe you can play AAU ball this fall instead of Xcountry?

TheArchangels has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vert help for Basketball

I'm trying to up my vert and I could use some help. I have really big and strong thighs not just for my age but really for any age really and my cavs are pretty big and strong also yet I can't jump as high as I think I should be able to. It's not that I'm slow either because I was the 2nd fastest freshman on the track team in the 100m so I'm pretty fast. I think the problem is that while I'm strong and I'm fast, I'm not very quick. Even though I'm good in the hundred meters, I always would start every race behind and come back in the end to win.

Does anyone have any exercises to improve my quickness? I'm trying to stay away from weights also for fear of hurting my growth plates. I've been jump roping to try and improve my quickness, is this a good idea and does anyone have any other stuff I can do?

How do you know you are strong if you don't lift?

1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1Bleak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Your coach is making you guys do cross country? lmao.

I wouldnt do depth jumps or anything like that after practice, Thats tough on tired knees.

You could do something on Saturday and take Sunday off, but Ive never heard that one before.

Maybe you can play AAU ball this fall instead of Xcountry?
    Lol idk why he is making us do cross country, and I'm playing AAU with the school team, we at least get to lift though. I'll probably end up doing plyo on Saturday, better than not doing it at all.

First off you need to start lifting, if you do it correctly and safely you won't hurt your growth plates, period. Second you need to improve rate of force development. After you can squat a good amount of weight, generally 1.5 ATG, you can start doing plyo CORRECTLY.

TheArchangels has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump
    Originally Posted by rhymeswithcash View Post
    How do you know you are strong if you don't lift?
    Just trust me on this, my legs are very strong. I have lifted before and in all the leg stuff or sled-work I do way better than all the other guys lifting all the time

Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TheArchangels View Post
    bump

Just trust me on this, my legs are very strong. I have lifted before and in all the leg stuff or sled-work I do way better than all the other guys lifting all the time
    Lift and stop with that strong legs bull**** if you want to jump high go and squat... plyos are also important after you can squat 1.5 your bodyweight

BRB Starting Strength

Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 1Bleak View Post
    So this summer I made tons of gains on my vert, I can dunk easily now with two hands, but now that school started our basketball coach is making us run cross country for conditioning, 2 hours a day 5 days a week. How do I maintain my vert? I was thinking doing a few sets of depth jumps when I get home or something but I think that would lead to overtraining, and I would have to re warmup. Idk what to do, in my opinion cross country is horrible for basketball, better to do interval sprints or something
    Sorry I can't help you with anything but if you don't mind can you tell me what exaclty you are doing for plyometrics?

BAperformance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree, cross country isn't the best training for basketball players.

The volume that you'll be running will make it difficult to do any type of other training. You can still do some lifting, but you'll end up losing body weight throughout the cross country season. Your lifting will be mostly strength development.

I would only do jumping exercises once per week, and only when you're fully rested from all of the running. Go for quality jumps.

Good luck. There's not much else I can say except do anything you can to get out of having to run cross country haha.
    BoostAthleticPerformance.com

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BAperformance View Post
    I agree, cross country isn't the best training for basketball players.

The volume that you'll be running will make it difficult to do any type of other training. You can still do some lifting, but you'll end up losing body weight throughout the cross country season. Your lifting will be mostly strength development.

I would only do jumping exercises once per week, and only when you're fully rested from all of the running. Go for quality jumps.

Good luck. There's not much else I can say except do anything you can to get out of having to run cross country haha.
    This. (And I sympathize, I'm no fan of XC myself).

Depth jumps... are probably the most effective but also the most dangerous plyo you can do. Be careful out there, OP! Between the running volume and your desire to do plyos, you could easily overdo it and hurt yourself. Do NOT do plyos when you are tired from practice. Coordination and a fresh central nervous system are important.

At your age, though, you're pretty resilient. You can probably keep up a decent vertical or at least retrain it despite the cross-country running. If I were you, I'd take serious advantage of all the hills you'll be doing. Hill sprints are pretty great for explosiveness.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Not saying you should lie to your coach, but now would be a good time to "sprain" your ankle...

Originally Posted by Heimdalll View Post
    Sorry I can't help you with anything but if you don't mind can you tell me what exaclty you are doing for plyometrics?
    I do standing broad jumps, squat jumps, depth jumps, 40 yard sprints, jumps for height, and I also dunk almost everyday for fun. I keep reps low and rest at least 3 minutes between set so I recover completely. Reps are under 8 usually

I do standing broad jumps, squat jumps, depth jumps, 40 yard sprints, jumps for height, and I also dunk almost everyday for fun. I keep reps low and rest at least 3 minutes between set so I recover completely. Reps are under 8 usually
    Thanks. Poverty reps

Originally Posted by TheArchangels View Post
    bump

What do you squat?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kids can strength train, just keep it sensible (i.e. higher reps, lower weight) (http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...g/art-20047758). If you do a little research you'll also find that younger lifters will add on muscle at lighter weight loads (less % of 1RM) than adults. For vertical jump you not only need good strength (i.e. BP .85-1.0 x Body Weight, Squat 1.5-2.0x BW) but as you say "quickness". Read up on plyometrics as this is what will help in your vertical. Careful though, many plyometric routines are inappropriate for those who don't have a good basic strength level.

and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) and1_balla52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Teach your central nervous system to move weight quickly and explosively. A strong base helps, but just because you can squat a house doesnt mean you can jump high. Being strong and being EXPLOSIVE are two different things. Being strong gives you more potential to be explosive but it doesnt make you explosive. Jump squats, trap bar squats, things like that will help. Use good form also. Forget a lot of the bs out there, like the moon shoes and all of those programs. Basically it comes down to being able to move weight quickly! Nothing else! Look at Kevin Durant...I bet he can squat a significant amount of weight, but I bet he cant squat massive amounts...but he can jump out of the gym...being 6'10 helps, sure, but hes explosive with what strength he does have.
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Online Coaching darr_fit@yahoo.com
    Like me on ********:https://www.********.com/darrfitness
    "The strongest steel is forged in the fires of h*ll"

SWAGGYP0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dunking

I am 17, 6'3" and weigh 160 lbs. I can grab the rim but cant get close to dunking. For my basketball team we work out a couple days a week, do box jumps and a couple sets of squats. I squat about 175 lbs. I have a very poor diet and eat only junk food, is that a factor in my weak vertical? What can I do to increase it, ive heard doing pushups help but i dont see how.

Lifting, especially deadlifts and ATG squats. Stretch everyday, and I dunk 5 days a week. On youtube search isaiah Rivera basketball you can see my progress. In January I couldn't dunk and I can now windmill

SWAGGYP0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lifting, especially deadlifts and ATG squats. Stretch everyday, and I dunk 5 days a week. On youtube search isaiah Rivera basketball you can see my progress. In January I couldn't dunk and I can now windmill
    WOOWW. You got some crazy dunks and thanks for the help, i will try it. Do you eat clean?

I would say first order of business is to get your squat to 1.5 times your bodyweight.