MattWenning is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Traveling and Working Out

How do you work out when you’re in the remote backcountry? It’s not like there were any gyms out there. And that led me to ask…

Do I need to take a break from training? Yes. Embarking on thousands of miles through diverse landscapes, I've come to understand that, even at an advanced fitness level, our bodies and minds require intermittent breaks from rigorous gym training.

We need to allow our ligaments, tendons, and our central nervous system (CNS) to recover, which is vital for long-term progress. But hold up: While it's absolutely essential to take a break, it doesn't mean stopping all forms of exercise. Strategic breaks can lead to rejuvenation, enabling our bodies to prepare for a new training cycle.

Creating an Optimal Exercise Protocol:
    Recognizing the need for a comprehensive exercise routine that would work throughout these challenges during extended motorcycle trips, I've developed a fitness approach that I built after a decade of experimenting. This approach sustains your elite-level progress once you get back to the gym. It's designed to accommodate the constraints of being on the road, ensuring that fitness goals are maintained even in the absence of traditional gym equipment.

I call it the Travel Program. And here are they key elements:

Flexibility:

Prioritize flexibility exercises to counteract the prolonged seated positions on motorcycles and promote overall joint health.

GPP (General Physical Preparedness) or Anaerobic Endurance:
    Develop a robust cardiovascular foundation to enhance stamina and endurance during long rides.

Diet and Nutrition:
    Emphasize the importance of maintaining a balanced diet to support overall health and fitness goals.

Daily Movement:
    Incorporate simple habits like walking for 10 minutes after every meal and stretching for 10 minutes every hour to counteract sedentary periods.

Bodyweight Exercises:
    Utilize a variety of bodyweight exercises, which are essential for maintaining fitness goals without the need for specialized equipment.

And guess what? I’m working on a manual so you can have it in your back pocket. I can’t wait to show you.

Talk to you guys soon. Be sure to check out my website.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When my son, college football player and T&F throws athlete was on an orchestral tour of Sweden and Norway he kept in shape by lifting when he could and using a TRX when he couldn't find heavy stuff to lift. Worked for him.

patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10) patrenna is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MattWenning View Post
    How do you work out when you’re in the remote backcountry? It’s not like there were any gyms out there. And that led me to ask…

Do I need to take a break from training? Yes. Embarking on thousands of miles through diverse landscapes, I've come to understand that, even at an advanced fitness level, our bodies and minds require intermittent breaks from rigorous gym training.

We need to allow our ligaments, tendons, and our central nervous system (CNS) to recover, which is vital for long-term progress. But hold up: While it's absolutely essential to take a break, it doesn't mean stopping all forms of exercise. Strategic breaks can lead to rejuvenation, enabling our bodies to prepare for a new training cycle.

Creating an Optimal Exercise Protocol:
    Recognizing the need for a comprehensive exercise routine that would work throughout these challenges during extended motorcycle trips, I've developed a fitness approach that I built after a decade of experimenting. This approach sustains your elite-level progress once you get back to the gym. It's designed to accommodate the constraints of being on the road, ensuring that fitness goals are maintained even in the absence of traditional gym equipment.

I call it the Travel Program. And here are they key elements:

Flexibility:

Prioritize flexibility exercises to counteract the prolonged seated positions on motorcycles and promote overall joint health.

GPP (General Physical Preparedness) or Anaerobic Endurance:
    Develop a robust cardiovascular foundation to enhance stamina and endurance during long rides.

Diet and Nutrition:
    Emphasize the importance of maintaining a balanced diet to support overall health and fitness goals.

Daily Movement:
    Incorporate simple habits like walking for 10 minutes after every meal and stretching for 10 minutes every hour to counteract sedentary periods.

Bodyweight Exercises:
    Utilize a variety of bodyweight exercises, which are essential for maintaining fitness goals without the need for specialized equipment.

And guess what? I’m working on a manual so you can have it in your back pocket. I can’t wait to show you.

Talk to you guys soon. Be sure to check out my website.
    Hiking is best cardio and pushups are an easy way to keep your strength up. If you can't go to the gym you could also do chinups on trees.