erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Constant DOMS Client Over 50

I have been doing quite a bit of research trying to determine whether this is a "normal" enough reaction or if it's something my client should be concerned about. I'm familiar with the cause and symptoms of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness of course, but everything I've studied has cited the fact that muscle soreness decreases once an exercise has been repeated regularly enough for the muscles to get used to the demand of the exercise.

My client has just brought to my attention that she's been walking for years and still experiences muscle soreness in her legs the day after walking. This is not something that has just started since adding additional workouts with me into the mix. I told her I'd honestly never heard of that type of chronic DOMS but that I'd look into it. Well, I've looked into it and can't seem to find a thing related to it. Has anyone had any experience with this or heard of such a thing? Walking seems to be a simple enough motion for the muscles to accept. If she were new to walking, she might expect to experience DOMS for a week or so after walking, but for years? I'm thinking perhaps she might want to talk to her physician to rule out an illness.

Any suggestions, tips, etc.

ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by erinrose07 View Post
    I have been doing quite a bit of research trying to determine whether this is a "normal" enough reaction or if it's something my client should be concerned about. I'm familiar with the cause and symptoms of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness of course, but everything I've studied has cited the fact that muscle soreness decreases once an exercise has been repeated regularly enough for the muscles to get used to the demand of the exercise.

My client has just brought to my attention that she's been walking for years and still experiences muscle soreness in her legs the day after walking. This is not something that has just started since adding additional workouts with me into the mix. I told her I'd honestly never heard of that type of chronic DOMS but that I'd look into it. Well, I've looked into it and can't seem to find a thing related to it. Has anyone had any experience with this or heard of such a thing? Walking seems to be a simple enough motion for the muscles to accept. If she were new to walking, she might expect to experience DOMS for a week or so after walking, but for years? I'm thinking perhaps she might want to talk to her physician to rule out an illness.

Here is something that may help you out. Especially considering your client is older...

www (dot) bodybuilding (dot) com/fun/south127 (dot) htm

Especially keep in mind the following:

"In the case of the young athlete, DOMS sets in because they lack muscular conditioning and because the pro-inflammatory response system that's triggered by exercise is over-active and not adjusted to their training volume.

By contrast, advanced athletes are likely to experience DOMS, not because they lack muscular conditioning, but because their enzyme levels and their inflammatory response systems are slower and less efficient due to age. In both cases, both young and old athletes lack the anti-inflammatory enzymes needed to stifle prolonged inflammation and DOMS onset."

At any rate, it can never hurt to have them check in with their physician....especially considering they themselves do not know what the issue is. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Mike

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Muscle soreness an also be a relative thing - she may consider what she is experiencing pain or DOMS even though it actually isn't.

A simple way to check that would be to have her reduce her walk by say 50% and see if the DOMS goes away. If it does, ease it up to 75% of what she was used to and find the distance where it kicks back in. That is likely her tolerance at this point. She might be chronically overdoing it and never letting her muscles rest.

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by erinrose07 View Post

I don't think this is DOMS at all. If the client has a history of smoking or diabetes, my guess would be Peripheral Artery Disease(PAD). PAD could cause pain and a whole host of other problems after walking or exercise. Specifically that the pain is limited to the legs and after walking, make me feel like this is what the problem is.

Link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/CON-20028731
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) erinrose07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ragingonion07 View Post
    Here is something that may help you out. Especially considering your client is older...

www (dot) bodybuilding (dot) com/fun/south127 (dot) htm

Especially keep in mind the following:

"In the case of the young athlete, DOMS sets in because they lack muscular conditioning and because the pro-inflammatory response system that's triggered by exercise is over-active and not adjusted to their training volume.

By contrast, advanced athletes are likely to experience DOMS, not because they lack muscular conditioning, but because their enzyme levels and their inflammatory response systems are slower and less efficient due to age. In both cases, both young and old athletes lack the anti-inflammatory enzymes needed to stifle prolonged inflammation and DOMS onset."

At any rate, it can never hurt to have them check in with their physician....especially considering they themselves do not know what the issue is. Hope this helps!

Regards,

Mike
    Thank you for sharing this info & link--very helpful. I will share the information with her as well but suggest mentioning it to her physician as well just to be safe. I didn't realize that anti-inflammatory enzymes decreased like this, it actually makes plenty of sense. I love this profession because I'm constantly challenged to go deeper into the science behind the body's reactions to exercise, age, diet, lifestyle, etc. It's a never-ending learning process. Thanks again for sharing this knowledge.

[QUOTE=Endevorforever;1283132801]I don't think this is DOMS at all. If the client has a history of smoking or diabetes, my guess would be Peripheral Artery Disease(PAD). PAD could cause pain and a whole host of other problems after walking or exercise. Specifically that the pain is limited to the legs and after walking, make me feel like this is what the problem is. [QUOTE]

Hi,
    Thanks for bringing this up; another interesting point. She isn't a smoker or diabetic but she does have hereditary high blood pressure. I'll see what I can find about this maybe being related to the symptoms. Thank you!
    Last edited by erinrose07; 08-21-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    Muscle soreness an also be a relative thing - she may consider what she is experiencing pain or DOMS even though it actually isn't.

A simple way to check that would be to have her reduce her walk by say 50% and see if the DOMS goes away. If it does, ease it up to 75% of what she was used to and find the distance where it kicks back in. That is likely her tolerance at this point. She might be chronically overdoing it and never letting her muscles rest.
    That's true...if she's been walking every day for so long. It just seems like such a basic exercise that our bodies are pretty well-designed and intended to do--it'd surprise me if she was overtaxing herself by this; but, she might benefit from taking a few days off every once in a while.

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    [QUOTE=erinrose07;1283167161][QUOTE=Endevorforever;1283132801]I don't think this is DOMS at all. If the client has a history of smoking or diabetes, my guess would be Peripheral Artery Disease(PAD). PAD could cause pain and a whole host of other problems after walking or exercise. Specifically that the pain is limited to the legs and after walking, make me feel like this is what the problem is.

Hi,
    Thanks for bringing this up; another interesting point. She isn't a smoker or diabetic but she does have hereditary high blood pressure. I'll see what I can find about this maybe being related to the symptoms. Thank you!
    Keep us posted on how things turn out.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ragingonion07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=Endevorforever;1283203581][QUOTE=erinrose07;1283167161]
    Originally Posted by Endevorforever View Post
    I don't think this is DOMS at all. If the client has a history of smoking or diabetes, my guess would be Peripheral Artery Disease(PAD). PAD could cause pain and a whole host of other problems after walking or exercise. Specifically that the pain is limited to the legs and after walking, make me feel like this is what the problem is. Keep us posted on how things turn out.
    Yes please do! We learn something new here as a result as well! Best of luck!

gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gorbeth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If she has high BP, she likely had peripheral artery disease, and also likely kidney damage. She should definitely see her doctor in case her K is high, BUN and creatinine are high, or Ca is high. All of the above could cause the cramps and aches.
    BFing mom. Pediatric ICU Nurse. Farm girl stuck in the Sin City. BJJ Purple belt.