IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Anterior Delt Strain/Injury... Help please

I know this is for PTs, but I could really use some advice please. I have been seriously back in the gym for about 2 months after a 6 year period of being fat (had a family, growing business...). Prior to my 6 year hiatus I was 6ft 220lbs and around 9% bodyfat. As of around 2 months ago I weighed 285lbs and was just plain weak and fat.

Since my return to bodybuilding I have dropped 28lbs of fat and have increased my strength over 33% across the board. I have been doing this via full body weight workouts (compromising of compound exercises in super sets) and cardio (walking and swimming).

Now here's the problem:
    I am feeling tight and sore in the front delt of my right arm (very front of my right shoulder).

I first felt the pain 4 days ago, about an hour after a tough full body weights workout. I took two days off and the pain/tightness went away. I went back into the gym and did another full body workout but with heavier weight and less reps. Close to the end of workout, I did a superset of behind the neck standing military press and big bar bicep curls (8 reps each). At about rep 5 of the bicep curls the tightness came back. I finished the set and stopped.

Half an hour later my front delt was sore (about an inch from where the chest meets the shoulder and an two inches from the top of my shoulder. It is now the next day and I am not experiencing any pain unless I lift something (like my son) with my right arm. My right arm has full range of motion without any pain.

How long should I stay out of the gym?

What rep range should I do when I return the gym?

Is swimming good for it?

Are there any supplements that can help with this?

What exercises should I avoid? I am trying to do full body workouts of compound movements.

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!
    Last edited by IamBackJack; 08-21-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Adding a question

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this isn't really a question for trainers, you need to be examined by a physiotherapist or similarly qualified professional.

IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10) IamBackJack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I appreciate what you have posted, but I am asking personal trainers as they have many clients and can give some advice.

Guidance would be appreciated.

Update: I swam today and my shoulder is feeling a bit better. I don't think I tore my rotator or anything remotely that serious. It is probably just a part of my body shocked and struggling from the hard training of the last two months, after years of not training.

Advice to my questions would be appreciated.

Thanks