Closed Thread
Page 4 of 327 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by OhioStateBucki View Post
    I think it's become very distorted. I had "depression". Was positive I "had it" and had all the symptoms etc. Became suicidal at some points. I hid it for over a year until breaking loose in front of my parents. After that I was supposed to receive medication but ended up saying fuk that after some serious thinking for a couple days. One of the best decisions of my life.

This is my theory on it all, and to many of you I am calling it bullsh*t in terms of most people's definition. Read this in it's entirety with an open mind before criticizing and then I am up for a constructive debate.

I would say that depression is definitely real but it truly is a mindset. I am aware that there are physical changes in the brain but I believe that the mindset we take creates those imbalances. Similar to a placebo effect, which is a ridiculously powerful thing, in that we begin to think that we are depressed and then our body sort of believes us.

I know people use the drugs for it and they help, which makes sense. It replaces those imbalances. But when those people stop taking them, two things happen:
    -One: They believe the medicine "cured" them and now have a new mindset (one that believe it is not depressed) and the body rethinks itself into happiness
    -Two: They think the medicine is the only thing that helped and that it's a purely physical/genetic issue (similar to obese people and thyroid claims) and as a result taking them off the meds makes them go batsh*t insane/depressed again

Like I said, I used to let myself get depressed like this and thought about suicide a few times. Then I realized how powerful our mind really is and that if you force a thought process onto your own mind you will quickly adapt to it. Obviously, this as constructive as it is destructive so it depends on you.

So it becomes more of why do people begin to think themselves into this depression? This part is easy to explain. Very few people nowadays follow their true passions or at least have an enjoyable hobby on the side. Their existence is just this belief that one day they will be filthy rich and everything will be perfect, in the mean time it's ok for like to suck etc. Their spare time is spent doing meaningless things, watching TV etc. Not that there is a problem with TV or games, but if you do not have a legitimate hobby or passion to pursue you won't be happy. Then they begin to think themselves into depression.

So basically my theory boils down to attitude and mindset, just as most other things in life.

When was the last time you saw someone following their dream become majorly depressed? (The type of depression we refer to as medical, not a your dog died type of depression)

The people I have heard of being depressed are always the ones under extensive pressure to become a billionaire, an athlete or something that they don't necessarily desire to be but for whatever reasons try to force themselves to do.
    Not true at all, I for one have a physical problem where my body isnt recycling dopamine, im sure it can happen with seratonin as well.

Right now im depressed because taking dopamine decreases seratonin

WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by low blow View Post

so at the end of the day 80% of people with depression are just pussies and need to harden up
    couldnt the same be said for ptsd. some people suffer so bad that they cant deal with it. in the old days people would just off themselves. nowadays there are drugs.

not justifying the usage of the drugs in every scenario but some people cant deal. I can deal with it but my ex girlfriend couldnt without her prescription meds and her issues were actually in her head. (rich spoiled brat)
    49ers, Lakers, A's, Stanford
    Automotive/Smog tech
    2004 modded FXT

Reps for life : Niner fans, Jetlife

TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by PataciumEyeOdin View Post
    Not true at all, I for one have a physical problem where my body isnt recycling dopamine, im sure it can happen with seratonin as well.

What is the name of that problem and how have they tested your dopamine levels?

If they haven't done that, then the doc is feeding you BS for the placebo effect.

Registered User NeverStopMoving's Avatar
    NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by HughMadbrough View Post
    isnt depression just some serotonin/dopamin deficiencies...not that much to it really?
    Even though we make attempts to understand the biology, we should not ignore the psychology of the human mind.

Registered User NeverStopMoving's Avatar
    NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NeverStopMoving is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I'd love to hear how you are taking dopamine as it does not readily cross the blood brain barrier...

Not actually named untz. mynameisuntz's Avatar
    mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depression probably is real but its definitely a modern day disease - how come its only in the last 30 years (especially since SSRI's have been developed) have so many people been diagnosed with "depression".

O you've had a hard life and feel bad? Depression
    O you can't handle you aren't super model thin? Depression
    O you aren't smart/successful ? Depression

Just like somebody said in the beginning of this thread, 80% of the worlds population think we should be on cloud 9 with the abundant food/opportunities we have....yet many aren't.

so at the end of the day 80% of people with depression are just pussies and need to harden up
    False. It's probably the same thing as homosexuality. It's not that there are higher rates of homosexuality today, it's that more people are willing to come to terms with who they are.

Similarly, in the past depression was dealt with by, "oh just ignore it and it'll go away," or "don't bring it up." Now that it's more acceptable and seen as such, people are more willing to admit to it and seek treatment.
    All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AusPower has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh it's real and it's crippling.
    Bench: 572lbs (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9RrAfn0TfkY&feature=youtu.be)
    Squat: 924lbs (https://youtu.be/hnvJ0SdCYKw)
    Deadlift: 924lbs (https://youtu.be/KDS6TQ_--eM)
    Bent Over Row: 485lbs (https://youtu.be/dc-t9k3f208)
    Over Head Press: 405lbs (https://youtu.be/h3o4jOBa8IM)

Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000) Anonymuss is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol @ random *******s saying people are making it up or need to harden up

like saying a schizophrenic should stop playing around and acting like people can hear their thoughts

i sincerely hope your children/partners never suffer from depression, the lack of sympathy would be hard

PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10) PataciumEyeOdin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by NeverStopMoving View Post
    I'd love to hear how you are taking dopamine as it does not readily cross the blood brain barrier...
    l tyrosine converts to l dopa which converts to dopamine, l tyrosine has been proven to cross the blood brain barrier.

http://depression.emedtv.com/l-tyrosine/l-tyrosine.html

i wanna hear you stand in front of me and say it doesnt when I observe a massive physical and mental change when taking it.

I would laugh in your face pretty much as im doing now

N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000) N23 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am going thru depression right now, I recently broke up with my ex-gf and bestfriend since middle school. She wants nothing to do with me and has already moved on. To me that was the ultimate topper of years of anxiety and depression. Whenever I had problems she was the one I could talk to and she understood. Now shes cut me out of her life. I've had a hard time dealing with some deaths in the family and I always feel like I am a failure even when I succeed with flying colors. A lot of people tell me I'm good looking but I think I am ugly and have no desire to do anything anymore. Im on anti-depressants (on and off for past year but back on in past month) and talking with a therapist once a week. She has pin-pointed it as an identity crisis and depression. Who knows but its an awful feeling.
    Giants-Yankees-Bulls

Starting weight (Dec 11th) 285 lbs
    Current weight (June 9th) 237 lbs
    Goal weight 200 lbs

-Sometimes I win, sometimes I learn, but I never lose-

thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    my god, so many miscers coming out of the woodwork with depression
    ***Not done with my drink till I've crunched all the ice crew***

Registered Camel Eater low blow's Avatar
    low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WRXbrah View Post
    couldnt the same be said for ptsd. some people suffer so bad that they cant deal with it. in the old days people would just off themselves. nowadays there are drugs.

not justifying the usage of the drugs in every scenario but some people cant deal. I can deal with it but my ex girlfriend couldnt without her prescription meds and her issues were actually in her head. (rich spoiled brat)
    You make a good argument but I've got to say its a red herring fallacy --> "A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue"

I have nothing against anyone diagnosed with PTSD - this is a serious issue that comes about from very serious events.

and your ex-gf exemplifies my point - rich, spoiled beyond belief but "depressed" because of what...? Inability to be a superstar? "Too fat"?

Originally Posted by mynameisuntz View Post
    False. It's probably the same thing as homosexuality. It's not that there are higher rates of homosexuality today, it's that more people are willing to come to terms with who they are.

Similarly, in the past depression was dealt with by, "oh just ignore it and it'll go away," or "don't bring it up." Now that it's more acceptable and seen as such, people are more willing to admit to it and seek treatment.
    Again 80% is probably bull**** not 100%. I'll even say 50/50 - My point was is some people are being diagnosed or claiming to have depression over issues that really stem from being a pussy.

Originally Posted by Anonymuss View Post
    lol @ random *******s saying people are making it up or need to harden up

like saying a schizophrenic should stop playing around and acting like people can hear their thoughts

i sincerely hope your children/partners never suffer from depression, the lack of sympathy would be hard
    schizophrenic not equal to depression.

you can't make an argument where you throw in a different condition - its like me telling anybody with a cold to not take time off work/try not to act sick because other people have terminal cancer. A cold and cancer are real diseases 100% of the time (unless of course the person is intentionally faking having a cold) whereas depression is a diagnosis based on symptoms in almost all cases.

You make a good argument but I've got to say its a red herring fallacy --> "A Red Herring is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue"

I have nothing against anyone diagnosed with PTSD - this is a serious issue that comes about from very serious events.

and your ex-gf exemplifies my point - rich, spoiled beyond belief but "depressed" because of what...? Inability to be a superstar? "Too fat"?

Again 80% is probably bull**** not 100%. I'll even say 50/50 - My point was is some people are being diagnosed or claiming to have depression over issues that really stem from being a pussy.

you can't make an argument where you throw in a different condition - its like me telling anybody with a cold to not take time off work/try not to act sick because other people have terminal cancer. A cold and cancer are real diseases 100% of the time (unless of course the person is intentionally faking having a cold) whereas depression is a diagnosis based on symptoms in almost all cases.
    Disease

A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury

plz go

thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) thefederalist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

you have given out too much reputation in the past 24 hours
    ***Not done with my drink till I've crunched all the ice crew***

Registered Camel Eater low blow's Avatar
    low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000) low blow is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Disease

A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury

plz go
    Thank you for that definition but are you going to actually explain yourself?

TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomAnderson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I still get very down thinking about my mum. She was severly disabled for the last 4/5 years of her life (passed away April 2010). She had no motor control and couldnt even ****ing hug me She couldnt even speak for the last few years either, it hurt at the time not being able to talk with her, only talk at her (if that makes sense) and i cant escape it even now! It put a ton of stress on me and my brother/dad and that has carried on now as well.

I was offered counceling but i didnt take it, maybe i should of :\

Not sayin my example is bad or anything, but i do think depression exists.
    52°N

● 140k reps reset to 0 crew ●

Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armord is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thefederalist View Post
    My friend claims he's been depressed for years and takes all sorts of meds on and off. He gets really quiet at parties and ducks out early and unnoticed. Also, he's a pathological liar.

Arguments against his depression are:

A) He's rich
    B) He's good looking (no homo)
    C) He has a good, loving family
    D) We went to a top school
    E) He has a great job and a great apartment

Whenever someone mentions an actor/singer going into rehab and calls them beta or says that they're making excuses, he goes off about how you can't explain depression and that it's not something that goes away, etc. (the usual). My suspicion is that he's doing it for attention and to have an emotional excuse/loophole for being a beta ******* at times. It can't help that he comes from a family full of women. Thoughts MISC?
    Sounds like since he has nothing to b*tch about in life, he's making it up.
    ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
    ████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CasinoApe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was depressed not long ago due to a painful leg injury, it caused me alot of stress, i couldn't sleep and began failing my exams etc etc. It really seemed just like a stress response, i wasn't sad, i just lost interest/enjoyment in everything, no seuxal desire, nothing. It helped me deal with what was going wrong, i didn't care about school, which damaged my prospects somewhat, but it gave me the clarity and space to focus on my leg, the root cause of my troubles.

I think you mistake depression for feeling sad, most people do, depression does involve sadness and despair, but i never felt particularly sad, ofcourse the hopelessness of my situation was upsetting, but i was able to deal with it, and once me leg got better it became clear to me that life wasn't so bad. Depression basically isn't just prolonged sadness, its a lack of interest, the feeling that life has nothing to offer and that nothing will get better, thats your hopeless and powerless.

I never took any anti-depressants, some people will just have chemical imbalances that affect them, but with most theres an exterior stressor that has to be dealt with to overcome depression.

So yes, depression is real.
    But,
    Many,many people belittle the condition, it really ****ing pissed me off, it was so hard for me to get help, becase people had so many misconceptions, and then there were the people who claimed to have depression and an assortment of mental conditions when they don't, there just blaming there problems on something else other than themselves, their pathetic, they'll never achieve anything, god help them if they do become depressesed, they'll never have the acuity to logically deal with whats causing their stress, they'll just run and blame it on other things, i accepted my failure, embraced it, then dealt with it.

These are the same sorts of people you see on your ******** who can't sleep 'becuase they have insomnia' -- Not becuase they lack the discipline to get to bed on time, wake up at a reasonable hour, and don't leave their houses leading to the bodies confusion of night/day timing (melatonin is regulated by sunlight exposure)
    Strong adriana lima picture embed to post ratio
    ☆☆☆υк яєω☆☆☆
    The Legion of Good Samaritans
    Cymru am byth
    <<<<<<Rugby>>>>>>

TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheAdlerian has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Damn!

I just realized how stupid this thread is.

The term depression is just a desription of an emotional state, so of course it exists. It's just an extreme form of sadness.

Now if you ask "what causes depression" then you have a question about what's real and what isn't.

TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000) TERMplus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think you guys are being too one-sided on this issue: chemicals do affect your mood, but your mood also affect your chemicals.

I sort of agree with low blow -- depression IS diagnosed improperly, and it is treated improperly. Before considering the low chance that someone may have idiopathic depression, some deficiency in dopamine / serotonin, or weird dopamine / serotonin receptors, bad dietary and lifestyle habits should be the first thing the depressed person considers. Seriously, treating the symptoms is a completely idiotic way to practice medicine. SSRIs should only be used in the few cases where dietary and lifestyle factors are not significantly improving a patient's depression.

Also, denying the existence of depression because it is only caused by negative thought processes doesn't make much sense to me -- you're stating that it exists, but only because of negative thought processes; so, it exists, and you'd be making a horrible generalization if you were to say that every depressed person is faking it. Besides, we CAN see on a PET scan possible neurological differences between a depressed person and a normal person.

Depression is real. It is not, however, caused ONLY by chemical imbalances / negative thought processes; rather, it is caused by a combination of chemical imbalances, receptor activity, negative thought processes, ...

Originally Posted by TheAdlerian View Post
    Damn!

I just realized how stupid this thread is.

The term depression is just a desription of an emotional state, so of course it exists. It's just an extreme form of sadness.

Now if you ask "what causes depression" then you have a question about what's real and what isn't.
    haha my thoughts exactly

Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skyline89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Depression does not exist. We make it exist and its also a very feminine characteristic.
    -Misc Cologne Crew-

Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000) Ricky116 is just really nice. (+1000)
    How far does it go.

If I go kill someone tomorow can I just say "I have a chemical imbalance that causes me to kill that person", and that's alright?

To everyone who argues about it being real because its a chemical imbalance.... is everything not a chemical imbalance? Is brain activity not just a ridiculously complicated series of chemical imbalances? When do we stop blaming people for their own fukking fault? Where is you, and where is chemical imbalance... Where's the line?

If people say depression is real for this reason, then they must accept all of the consequences which includes a reduction in what we define as free will.

Originally Posted by Skyline89 View Post
    Depression does not exist. We make it exist and its also a very feminine characteristic.
    No it certainly is not!

The heroes from Homer were always shown as having giant emotional highs and lows, because they were amazing heroes. They'd tear their hair out in sadness and then go and do something about it later.

So, even back in ancient Greek times having strong emotion was seen as ultra manly.

Today, the passionate man may curl up and do nothing, or he might use that sadness and anger to do something. Some people go into medicine or write novels based on some incident in life that dragged them down.

echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000) echoareone is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Gotta come out of the woodwork.

There's biochemical depression, and situational depression.

Biochemical depression stems from some abnormality in your dopamine/serotonin pathways (and who knows if there are other, undiscovered chemical causes). You can have the best life imaginable, and still feel lost or hopeless or just sad, because your neurotransmitters are screwy. I don't like to use personal experience, but this applies to me (except I don't have quite the perfect life, but it's way better than many).

Situational depression, is, well...obvious. You're sad cause you're fat, ugly, your mom died and your GF dumped you. This is NORMAL, that you feel ups and downs because of events in life.

Should people be medicated for the latter? I strongly say no.
    As for the former, I can pretty confidently say that medication helps.

And for people who belittle depression and those suffering from it, wake up. It's a problem like any other problem, even if there are some people who make it melodramatic.

TLDR; obviously it's real, and not all depressions are created equal.
    The strongest weak guy you'll ever meet.

The Fitness Socialist AntonioWright's Avatar
    AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000) AntonioWright is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
    Seems like a crock of **** to me.
    Says the ignorant fool. You know nothing about feeling hopeless. Feeling like your only option was to leave the planet. Feeling like everything you did was a failure. What saved me was my family and the weight room. If it wasn't for that, I would be dead.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AntWrig

Twitter:Fitnesssocialist

Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mephisto91 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by _ZERO_ View Post
    Not the same kind of depression.

Clinical depression is caused by receptors in the brain reuptaking serotonin too rapidly.
    This. I'm sick of people seeming to want a mental disorder these days... Depression, OCD, ADD, f*cking anything that makes them look "unique" just like everyone else. Notice the irony.

You're f*cking sad, you don't "suffer from depression".
    Stupid people do stupid things, smart people out-smart eachother, then themselves.

Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have been clinically depressed before. If you don't think it is real you just have naturally high serotonin levels and an inability to imagine things from another perspective. Both are common for pretty much everyone. Only a small portion of the adult population actually battle with depression and it may be caused by behavior or chemical imbalances that encourage that line of thought and feeling. Maybe you should google depression and start reading the wiki article to start getting some idea of what it means to people who are oft times depressed.

The happiest people I know are the ones who want to accomplish the least in their lives. That's just my opinion though. Their perspective is completely different.

BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BigSkip has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
    Seems like a crock of **** to me.
    it is real, can be entirely chemical like the other guy stated.
    something about shrinkage of the hipocampus can also be a reason.

Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000) Getting_Cut22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mephisto91 View Post
    This. I'm sick of people seeming to want a mental disorder these days... Depression, OCD, ADD, f*cking anything that makes them look "unique" just like everyone else. Notice the irony.

You're f*cking sad, you don't "suffer from depression".
    I have Asperger's syndrome and I'm one of the highest functioning people I have ever come across in my life. I have an IQ in the 99th percentile and I'm a great athlete. The cost for me is OCD symptoms, some ADD, and depresion at times as well as very high stress levels all the time. You may think I want to feel special with these symptoms but they are legitimate issues that people face. Drugs can treat negative symptoms and I've only recently started using a psychiatric prescription that has already improved my day to day life dramatically.

When I come across posts like yours I feel happy for you that you have no idea what depression is and I hope you never do but do try to understand things from another person's point of view from time to time.

edit: i'm also stuck with non-24 or free running disorder which I assure you no one wants to have.
    Last edited by Getting_Cut22; 07-06-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000) Prose is a name known to all. (+5000)
    he probably isn't happy about his penor size.