GabrielTigre54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GabrielTigre54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GabrielTigre54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GabrielTigre54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GabrielTigre54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GabrielTigre54 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Favorite Exercises for Obese Clients

Hey everyone,

I recently passed my trainer certification course and started training with Freedom Fitness. As I'm sure you can imagine, I have a relatively high amount of obese clients. With this being said, I'd like to know some of y'alls favorite exercises for your bigger clients.

Aside from both LISS and HIIT cardio on more low-impact machines like the elliptical or stationary bike, I tend to have my clients do a lot of basic movement patterns to the best of their ability like ball squats, seated overhead press, step-ups, or even a clean & press if they're capable. I usually have them perform two exercises in a small 20s each "circuit" to keep their heart rate elevated. I track down the weights/reps/sets for them to assure them and myself that they're making progress.

These are just some examples of what I do, but like I said, I've been training for about a month and a half and am still relatively new to this. I would love to hear what some of you more experienced trainers have to say. Appreciate any responses.

Also, if you have any general advice, I'm all ears. Although I'm new to the field, I really want to do my best to be the personal trainer I wish I would have had. Cheers.
    "Lifting light weight for high reps and sets and expecting to get bigger and stronger, is like sitting in front of a light bulb expecting to catch a tan: It's just not going to happen" -Mike Mentzer

BoostGetsULaid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoostGetsULaid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoostGetsULaid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoostGetsULaid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BoostGetsULaid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are doing fine so far, I would incorporate some TRX band exercises also. I use the Bosu Ball to test their stability and to strengthen their support muscles. Plyo-box step with a curl and an overhead press at the top is a great way to raise their HR too! Exercise bands will be great to have them stretch with and work on their hip flexors since more than likely they will not be that flexible. Exercise balls are a great way to train them to engage their core when doing exercises such as DB chest press, OH press, etc.

Give this a shot,
    10 plyo-box step-up curl to press
    10 pushups on Bosu-Ball (ball is upside down to help with stability)
    15 ball squats
    10 squat + rows with exercise band
    ...repeat 3 times with a rest in-between each circuit!

Best of Luck!
    -Chris M.
    Youtube: chrismcglynnfit
    Instagram: chris_mcglynnfit

VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50) VictoryWon4Him will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I commend you Gabriel for wanting to do the best job you can as a PT for yourself and for your clients. Some PT's could care less about their clients and it's all about the $$. Be sure to search around on this site for some great suggestions for exercise for obese people. You can also see many great exercises and routines on Youtube to help give you ideas for training exercises and routines. As you said, it's all up to the individual and what they can physically do, but as I'm sure you know, you always want to do your best at giving them a good routine, but nothing too hard that may embarrass them or make them feel insecure about being in the gym. Like most clients, you must continue to strive for encouraging them to perform a good training plan/routine while helping boost their self esteem and willingness to continue at the gym (and hopefully with you as their trainer). The more you personalize things and help your clients meet their goals , the more "word of mouth" spreads about you and being a great trainer = more clients, more business and overall satisfaction that you're truly helping people. Best of luck to you OP!
    Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

"You can't put a price on good nutrition and overall health"

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BoostGetsULaid View Post
    You are doing fine so far, I would incorporate some TRX band exercises also. I use the Bosu Ball to test their stability and to strengthen their support muscles. Plyo-box step with a curl and an overhead press at the top is a great way to raise their HR too! Exercise bands will be great to have them stretch with and work on their hip flexors since more than likely they will not be that flexible. Exercise balls are a great way to train them to engage their core when doing exercises such as DB chest press, OH press, etc.

Give this a shot,
    15 ball squats

Best of Luck!
    -Chris M.
    Wow, I think this post pretty much contains everything.

Registered User ChrisMcGlynnFIT's Avatar
    ChrisMcGlynnFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BoostGetsULaid View Post

Give this a shot,
    15 ball squats

Best of Luck!
    -Chris M.
    If anyone wants to add me on BodySpace I am deactivating "BoostGetsULaid". I will be using this one from now on.
    Cheers,
    Chris M.
    26yo, 165lbs, Nationally qualified Men's Physique competitor, Interested in powerlifting now!

Youtube: www.youtube.com/chrismcglynnfit
    Instagram: @chris_mcglynnfit
    ********: www.********.com/chrismcglynnfitness