Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)

Inspire FT2 Functional Trainer Review

When I was shopping for a functional trainer, I found limited information on the Inspire FT2, so I wanted to share my impressions. First, one of the appealing/necessary characteristics of this unit was overall height. Looking for commercial quality, I was having a very hard time finding a crossover or functional trainer that would fit in my basement with only about 86" of height.

Originally I had not even considered Inspire. This unit in particular is fairly pricey (especially compared to used commercial units) and I wasn't sure if the quality of Inspire would live up to my expectations. I ended up finding a deal on this setup and decided it was at least worth checking out. Boy am I glad I did.

As an overview, I ended up with the FT2 (which is a combo functional trainer and Smith machine), the upgraded 210lb stacks, their bench, and the leg attachment.

Overall, this functional trainer has vastly exceeded my expectations. Not only is it very well built (particularly for a "home grade" unit) but it is also smooth as glass in operation. There are more connection points than any other unit I've ever seen. I initially thought these were just overkill (and some still are in my opinion), but I actually use them more than I thought I would. Most importantly though, the traditional attachment points are unbelievably easy to adjust (can easily do both at the same time), have a ton of adjustment points, and glide up and down their support rails. The cable pulls operate smoothly with little to no perceptible loading. There is also an abundance of cable travel, but the resultant ratio weight reduction doesn't serve as an impediment with the upgraded stacks. As with all selectorized equipment, weight changes are a breeze. Really, I have nothing that I can think of to complain about with this as a functional trainer.

I have another Smith machine (which I rarely use), so this really wasn't a selling feature for me. However, it has actually been a nice addition. It operated fairly smoothly when I assembled, but I was underwhelmed. That all changed after a light Teflon lubing. Its bearings now glide on the rails effortlessly. The real selling point here is having the speed and ease of selectorized plates on a Smith. Additionally, this setup has the "weight multiplier" feature that eliminates the cable 1:2 ratio allowing for true full stack loading. It actually works pretty well and is, like everything else, no effort to change.

The machine comes with a variety of attachments (though I also use many of my own), 5lb weight plate adapters, and an all around nice package. I would not hesitate to recommend this setup. If you find a deal on one, don't hesitate. But honestly, if you have the means/desires, I think it's a surprisingly solid purchase at full price too. I hesitate to say this for fear of flaming, but it has I'm pretty sure become my favorite piece of equipment. I use it for just about everything to add variety (though my racks are used every workout too, so that should save me from some shunning )

One last note. There was a busted end cap on one of my posts. I contacted Inspire and they were helpful, prompt, and friendly. I was asking about ordering one, and they sent me a replacement free of charge. Great warranty/customer service.

Now for a couple basic pics (sorry for the poor quality)

That concludes the main review, but I also wanted to mention the bench and leg attachment. There is a reason that these are at the end. They are both perfectly adequate and are I'm sure just fine for most everything you'd want to do. However, I have too many nice(r) benches and don't really use this one at all. I'm not in love with the height, softness of the pad, or just overall shape and feel. That isn't trying to sound too harsh as it really isn't bad quality. Just like many of you, I have developed some pretty specific preferences and tastes for benches. The leg attachment gets similar feedback. The neat part is that it does attach to the lower cables giving you a selectorized addition for extension and curls.

And for good measure, a couple gratuitous pics of its new home in the main lifting section of my gym:

If anyone is on the fence about one of these, or has specific/general questions, feel free to post up or send me a pm. Hopefully this helps anyone considering or happening upon one.
    Last edited by jtaliani; 07-21-2014 at 08:37 PM.

ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000) ffrink is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey Jon,

Great review. What is stack capacity? I like the utility panel for hanging attachments.

Roundheads look good too!!

Repped!
    ++++++++

"The strong take from the weak but the smart take from the strong." - Pete Carril's father

jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000) jtaliani is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ffrink View Post
    Hey Jon,

Great review. What is stack capacity? I like the utility panel for hanging attachments.

Roundheads look good too!!

Repped!

Thank you my friend! The stacks have the 50lb upgrade. There are 20 10lb plates and the top #1 plate is I believe 15lbs with the loading pin. So total weight I believe is 215lbs per stack, but I just generically go by the numerical labels and call it an even 210lbs. So, on the Smith with the multiplier, you can get a total capacity of either 430lbs or 440lbs including the 5lb adder plates. And on cable exercises, you can get approximately 110lbs per hand.

Yeah, had to get a glimpse of the roundheads in there. They always beg to be in pics

meltdowncity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you mind telling what you paid for this unit with the weight addon? I Don't know if thats taboo to ask around here, sorry if it is. I'm considering getting this exact unit is why I'm curious (if that wasn't obvious).

Thanks if u reply

rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rdogg07 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jtaliani View Post
    When I was shopping for a functional trainer, I found limited information on the Inspire FT2, so I wanted to share my impressions. First, one of the appealing/necessary characteristics of this unit was overall height. Looking for commercial quality, I was having a very hard time finding a crossover or functional trainer that would fit in my basement with only about 86" of height.

Originally I had not even considered Inspire. This unit in particular is fairly pricey (especially compared to used commercial units) and I wasn't sure if the quality of Inspire would live up to my expectations. I ended up finding a deal on this setup and decided it was at least worth checking out. Boy am I glad I did.

As an overview, I ended up with the FT2 (which is a combo functional trainer and Smith machine), the upgraded 210lb stacks, their bench, and the leg attachment.

Overall, this functional trainer has vastly exceeded my expectations. Not only is it very well built (particularly for a "home grade" unit) but it is also smooth as glass in operation. There are more connection points than any other unit I've ever seen. I initially thought these were just overkill (and some still are in my opinion), but I actually use them more than I thought I would. Most importantly though, the traditional attachment points are unbelievably easy to adjust (can easily do both at the same time), have a ton of adjustment points, and glide up and down their support rails. The cable pulls operate smoothly with little to no perceptible loading. There is also an abundance of cable travel, but the resultant ratio weight reduction doesn't serve as an impediment with the upgraded stacks. As with all selectorized equipment, weight changes are a breeze. Really, I have nothing that I can think of to complain about with this as a functional trainer.

I have another Smith machine (which I rarely use), so this really wasn't a selling feature for me. However, it has actually been a nice addition. It operated fairly smoothly when I assembled, but I was underwhelmed. That all changed after a light Teflon lubing. Its bearings now glide on the rails effortlessly. The real selling point here is having the speed and ease of selectorized plates on a Smith. Additionally, this setup has the "weight multiplier" feature that eliminates the cable 1:2 ratio allowing for true full stack loading. It actually works pretty well and is, like everything else, no effort to change.

The machine comes with a variety of attachments (though I also use many of my own), 5lb weight plate adapters, and an all around nice package. I would not hesitate to recommend this setup. If you find a deal on one, don't hesitate. But honestly, if you have the means/desires, I think it's a surprisingly solid purchase at full price too. I hesitate to say this for fear of flaming, but it has I'm pretty sure become my favorite piece of equipment. I use it for just about everything to add variety (though my racks are used every workout too, so that should save me from some shunning )

One last note. There was a busted end cap on one of my posts. I contacted Inspire and they were helpful, prompt, and friendly. I was asking about ordering one, and they sent me a replacement free of charge. Great warranty/customer service.

Now for a couple basic pics (sorry for the poor quality)

That concludes the main review, but I also wanted to mention the bench and leg attachment. There is a reason that these are at the end. They are both perfectly adequate and are I'm sure just fine for most everything you'd want to do. However, I have too many nice(r) benches and don't really use this one at all. I'm not in love with the height, softness of the pad, or just overall shape and feel. That isn't trying to sound too harsh as it really isn't bad quality. Just like many of you, I have developed some pretty specific preferences and tastes for benches. The leg attachment gets similar feedback. The neat part is that it does attach to the lower cables giving you a selectorized addition for extension and curls.

And for good measure, a couple gratuitous pics of its new home in the main lifting section of my gym:

If anyone is on the fence about one of these, or has specific/general questions, feel free to post up or send me a pm. Hopefully this helps anyone considering or happening upon one.
    How has this machine held up?
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/866851/Picture023-vi.jpg

SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would also like to know how this machine has held up and would you still recommend it?

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SKIinKC View Post
    I would also like to know how this machine has held up and would you still recommend it?
    He hasn't posted for over a year now, not sure if he looks occasionally or not.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just FYI I speak to jtaliani periodically and another forum member and I had beers/bites with him a couple months ago.

His Inspire came up in conversation as I've been looking at FTs too. He's still a regular user, it has held up well, and he remains impressed with the functionality and smoothness of a "home" machine. Inspire seems to know how to cut the right corners to save $ without hurting function.

Hope that helps.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SKIinKC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That definitely helps, thank you C123C for the info! Have you narrowed your search down to a few functional trainers and if so, what are you considering?

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SKIinKC View Post
    That definitely helps, thank you C123C for the info! Have you narrowed your search down to a few functional trainers and if so, what are you considering?
    Probably the following order. Prime Fitness, Cybex Bravo, Free Motion, and who knows maybe an Inspire FT1 for low end small unit at the right price.

Don't let the "Home" quality if Inspire fool you. No, they aren't 6k commercial designs but this thing is solid and will hold up. I've messed with both FT1 and FT2. No doubt it will hold up in a home environment and last forever. That said, Prime is probably the unit to own followed by the Cybex.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sawtooth1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question

So I just received a Inspire FT2 and love it. But one issue I have is sometimes it’s hard to get both sides of Smith bar locked into same number or position. After further investigation I noticed the left side “when on bench” has a great deal of play in it. Anyone else noticed this? I have a short video if I can figure out how to post it.

Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sawtooth1 View Post
    So I just received a Inspire FT2 and love it. But one issue I have is sometimes it’s hard to get both sides of Smith bar locked into same number or position. After further investigation I noticed the left side “when on bench” has a great deal of play in it. Anyone else noticed this? I have a short video if I can figure out how to post it.
    I have an FT2 and I think it’s just some minor adjustments. Make sure the unit is pretty level across. Also,check out some Inspire videos ( you tube) on proper adjusting of the uprights and one on the adjusting of the upright movable pullies.

I had some issues when I first built mine and made these adjustments and it works extremely well. You will love the FT2. I use mine in some way or another on every workout

Attached Images

potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Loved the FT2 when I had it before I upgraded to the Cybex Bravo. I coveted the Bravo so much I even added a back pad to the FT2. It was the back pad that went on a ForceUSA functional trainer.

I’d post pics but don’t have enough posts to do so.

i.imgur.com/OOVYvE1.jpg

i.imgur.com/OOVYvE1.jpg

Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I bought an FT2 in September 2020. I didn't get the extra weight b/c the salesman told me that there is a feature that "doubles" the resistance. If anyone is interested in buying this product, it's important that you know, the "double weight" feature only works if you're using the bar/smith machine. It doesn't work on the cables. I'm not very strong (5'9", 186 lbs, about a 215 bench press) and it didn't take me long to "out grow" the weight stacks for several cable lifts. It's a pain to add the extra weight later, so I would strongly encourage you to purchase the extra weights.

The machine works really well. It's smooth, durable, etc. I have no concerns there. As far as a functional trainer goes, I think it's a really good one. In hind sight, I wish I had bought a good lat pulldown/row machine instead. The FT2 can do a lot of things really well, but nothing great. I think I could've gotten a rack, dumbbell set, free weights, and a good pulldown/lat row machine for about the same amount that I paid for the FT2. That would've worked much better for me. I'm not complaining. I really like the FT2, and I've had great results. The FT2 wasn't a bad choice, for the money, it just wasn't the best choice for me. Now, if you already have a good rack, dumbbells, free weights, etc. and you're wanting to add a functional trainer, this is a good one. For lat pulldowns and rows, it has some problems though. There's not a good foot rest to put your feet on when you're doing rows. There's not something to hold your legs down when you're doing pull downs. You have to sit on the floor when you're doing pull downs b/c it's too low to sit on the bench. This can be a pain if you're doing a light set b/c you have to get to your feet w/o using your hands. You can find a way to make it work, but there are issues.

One other suggestion if you decide to get it. I would suggest putting it on a mat with lines or something on it to help you keep your bench lined up. It's kind of hard to explain, but by eyeballing it, I never feel like my bench is in the right place. If I'm laying on the bench doing cable flies, I always feel like I'm a little too far to the left, or right, or front. It sounds trivial, but the thing's sitting on carpet now. I'm going to put a mat under it with a grid or something and probably mark a few spots with some chalk, so I can keep my bench lined up.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Prozach2 View Post
    I think I could've gotten a rack, dumbbell set, free weights, and a good pulldown/lat row machine for about the same amount that I paid for the FT2.
    Hindsight is always 20/20 but you have some really good advice there. People here are pretty good about asking what equipment you already have because not all purchases make sense right away. To me a functional trainer wouldn't even make it on my 'Top 10' list, it's more of a luxury item that I'd rather see someone pickup used on craigslist. Just missed my chance to get a Precor FT for $400 the other day, at that price they make alot more sense....
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Prozach2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Hindsight is always 20/20 but you have some really good advice there. People here are pretty good about asking what equipment you already have because not all purchases make sense right away. To me a functional trainer wouldn't even make it on my 'Top 10' list, it's more of a luxury item that I'd rather see someone pickup used on craigslist. Just missed my chance to get a Precor FT for $400 the other day, at that price they make alot more sense....
    At my old house, I had a garage gym with a bunch of free weights. I hadn't used the stuff in years. I hadn't really lifted at all since my first kid was born 11 years ago. So, when we moved, I gave everything away. Dumbest thing that I've done in a while. I gave away a dumbbell set of 5s to 80s, probably 400 lbs of plates, bars, etc. Now that I have an indoor home gym, I use it 3 to 5 times a week. I thought, since I'm old now (42) that I'd prefer a functional trainer to free weights. I don't. I really miss my free weights. I thought cables and a smith machine would be easier on my joints, but I've found the opposite to be true - especially for deadlifts and military press. I really don't like doing those lifts on the smith machine. I feel like it forces me to go in directions that aren't natural.

So, I've decided my next purchase will be a set of fixed dumbbells, 5-50. I want to buy new and have a budget of about $1,500. Let me know if you have a recommendation. I asked this question in another thread but haven't gotten any responses.

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For me an FT is top 5 and an essential, but it's really best suited to accessory movements. A Smith machine, on the other hand, is not even top 20. I like them for shrugs, standing calf raises and bent over rows, but that's about it.

ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000) ncsuLuke is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I bought an FT2 in September 2020. I didn't get the extra weight b/c the salesman told me that there is a feature that "doubles" the resistance. If anyone is interested in buying this product, it's important that you know, the "double weight" feature only works if you're using the bar/smith machine. It doesn't work on the cables. I'm not very strong (5'9", 186 lbs, about a 215 bench press) and it didn't take me long to "out grow" the weight stacks for several cable lifts. It's a pain to add the extra weight later, so I would strongly encourage you to purchase the extra weights.

The machine works really well. It's smooth, durable, etc. I have no concerns there. As far as a functional trainer goes, I think it's a really good one. In hind sight, I wish I had bought a good lat pulldown/row machine instead. The FT2 can do a lot of things really well, but nothing great. I think I could've gotten a rack, dumbbell set, free weights, and a good pulldown/lat row machine for about the same amount that I paid for the FT2. That would've worked much better for me. I'm not complaining. I really like the FT2, and I've had great results. The FT2 wasn't a bad choice, for the money, it just wasn't the best choice for me. Now, if you already have a good rack, dumbbells, free weights, etc. and you're wanting to add a functional trainer, this is a good one. For lat pulldowns and rows, it has some problems though. There's not a good foot rest to put your feet on when you're doing rows. There's not something to hold your legs down when you're doing pull downs. You have to sit on the floor when you're doing pull downs b/c it's too low to sit on the bench. This can be a pain if you're doing a light set b/c you have to get to your feet w/o using your hands. You can find a way to make it work, but there are issues.

One other suggestion if you decide to get it. I would suggest putting it on a mat with lines or something on it to help you keep your bench lined up. It's kind of hard to explain, but by eyeballing it, I never feel like my bench is in the right place. If I'm laying on the bench doing cable flies, I always feel like I'm a little too far to the left, or right, or front. It sounds trivial, but the thing's sitting on carpet now. I'm going to put a mat under it with a grid or something and probably mark a few spots with some chalk, so I can keep my bench lined up.
    If you have an adjustable bench you can do chest supported lat pulldowns and it works really well without needing something to keep your knees held down. You might need to weight your bench down and if you have an FID bench you can put it in decline with the leg rollers and a couple plates on top to make a makeshift leg holder. Check out coach_kassem on IG, he has a bunch of examples on there.

Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    If you have an adjustable bench you can do chest supported lat pulldowns and it works really well without needing something to keep your knees held down. You might need to weight your bench down and if you have an FID bench you can put it in decline with the leg rollers and a couple plates on top to make a makeshift leg holder. Check out coach_kassem on IG, he has a bunch of examples on there.
    Thanks for the tip. I've tried some different things with the adjustable bench and leg rollers, but the bar is too low. I can't get a full extension with my arms - and I'm only 5'9" - if I'm sitting on the bench. There are two center cables on the machine that are a little higher. They don't fit the lat pulldown bar that comes with the FT2, but you could buy a lat pulldown bar with the hook in the center (as opposed to on the ends) and do it that way. I'm not sure if it would be high enough or not. What I've been doing is sitting on the floor and holding a dumbbell between my legs. With anything I've wanted to do, I've found a way to make it work. I guess my point is, for half the price, I could have gotten a lat pulldown/row machine that works better. I think I would have preferred that.

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    For me an FT is top 5 and an essential, but it's really best suited to accessory movements. A Smith machine, on the other hand, is not even top 20. I like them for shrugs, standing calf raises and bent over rows, but that's about it.
    I don't know why, but I've never done bent over rows with the smith machine. I don't really like doing cable rows on the Ft2, so I'm going to try to do bent over rows instead.

Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000) Asjogren is just really nice. (+1000)
    Totally agree. I also have a FT2 but I didn’t buy it until after I had a rack and a set of dumbells. For Pulldowns, I use Prime ROT-8 handles on the top narrow pullies and sit on a Hammer Strength FWADJ bench which is pretty low at around 16” . I have a lat pulldown machine for wide pulls.

Definitely an accessory piece but I use it on every workout. Very versatile

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Top 5 seems a bit high to me, that's basically putting it right after a rack, bench, weights, and quality barbell. I'd probably have db's, a dedicated lat pulldown, couple specialty bars, various rack attachments, a 45 degree hyper, and a belt squat on my list before a FT. But I guess it all depends on your lifting style, I've never liked pressing movements on a FT so other than flys it would just be a HUGE machine for triceps/biceps/shoulders.

Over the years I've seemed to bounce back and forth between dedicated machines and a minimalist style home gym. Right now I'm enjoying a minimalist setup with rack attached pulleys, bench attachments, and a landmine. My gym looks empty compared to just a couple years ago when it was packed with Nautilus, York, and Hammer Strength machines LOL.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd put my FT in the top 5, but for me a Smith is a must. I'm in the minority on this, but it's more due to what my training has morphed into over the decades. I don't even have a power rack anymore in my gym. If I had the space I'd put it back up, but there are nuns that have seen more action than the inside of my power rack has over the last couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I spent my early 20s and most of my 30s doing basic heavy barbell and dumbbell exercises/routines. That's where I'd recommend any younger novice to start. Get a good foundation and go from there. Strength never mattered to me though, just the mirror. I'm debating getting rid of my PowerTec Leverage Gym next and replacing it with an Inspire Multi-Gym of some type. Something with weight stacks. I get tired of loading and unloading plates, moving the lever arms, etc. Plus I think my wife would use it more.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Top 5 seems a bit high to me, that's basically putting it right after a rack, bench, weights, and quality barbell. I'd probably have db's, a dedicated lat pulldown, couple specialty bars, various rack attachments, a 45 degree hyper, and a belt squat on my list before a FT. But I guess it all depends on your lifting style, I've never liked pressing movements on a FT so other than flys it would just be a HUGE machine for triceps/biceps/shoulders.

Over the years I've seemed to bounce back and forth between dedicated machines and a minimalist style home gym. Right now I'm enjoying a minimalist setup with rack attached pulleys, bench attachments, and a landmine. My gym looks empty compared to just a couple years ago when it was packed with Nautilus, York, and Hammer Strength machines LOL.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it went. My initial home gym was a power rack, Rogue 2.0 bar, plates, FID bench and FT. The lat pulldown and Powerblocks followed soon after.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can't get a full extension with my arms - and I'm only 5'9" - if I'm sitting on the bench. There are two center cables on the machine that are a little higher. They don't fit the lat pulldown bar that comes with the FT2, but you could buy a lat pulldown bar with the hook in the center (as opposed to on the ends) and do it that way. I'm not sure if it would be high enough or not.
    I “solved” that problem by linking a chain between the two ends of the bar, nice and tight, then clipping the high center carabiners to the chain. Gets enough extra height that, when leaning slightly back on the pull-downs, I get a decent stretch while sitting on the bench (I’m 6’3”, maybe a shade under).

Still have to weigh the bench down to keep it from moving, unfortunately, but it helps.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Originally Posted by Corbets View Post
    I “solved” that problem by linking a chain between the two ends of the bar, nice and tight, then clipping the high center carabiners to the chain. Gets enough extra height that, when leaning slightly back on the pull-downs, I get a decent stretch while sitting on the bench (I’m 6’3”, maybe a shade under).

Still have to weigh the bench down to keep it from moving, unfortunately, but it helps.
    Thanks for the tip. Just curious, is there any reason that you decided to do the bar with a chain running from end to end as opposed to a bar with the hook in the middle? I've seen people on youtube do it with a regular lat pulldown bar with the hook in the middle. They attach both of the high center cables to the lat pulldown bar.
    I'm asking b/c I've been keeping my eyes out for a cheap/used lat pulldown bar. I'll just buy a chain if that works better though.

robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10) robbieuva is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the tip. Just curious, is there any reason that you decided to do the bar with a chain running from end to end as opposed to a bar with the hook in the middle? I've seen people on youtube do it with a regular lat pulldown bar with the hook in the middle. They attach both of the high center cables to the lat pulldown bar.
    I'm asking b/c I've been keeping my eyes out for a cheap/used lat pulldown bar. I'll just buy a chain if that works better though.
    Inspire has a lat pulldown bar with holes for the 2 high pulleys to attach: https: //inspirefitness. com/product/aluminum-lat-bar/

I use the D handles in the high pulleys to perform narrow grip lat pulldowns using the smith bar & a towel to brace my legs, and sometimes connect the D handles to the adjustable pulleys in the topmost position to perform the chest supported pulldowns as mentioned by another forum member above.

Do you purchase the Inspire SCS bench as well? The adjustable foot pegs can be removed and inserted into the bench centering slot to brace your feet when performing seated rows.

It really is a nice machine, and I would encourage you to keep trying out exercises with it. My big 3 lifts all went up after using it more for everything after gyms shut down. I never intended to use it for heavier lifts, but now I'm quite fond of performing them on the FT2. My primary complaint has more to do with the amount of space it takes up in my smallish exercise room, which only became a problem after wanting to add a rack/squat stand at home.

ps. had to place spaces in the url link above as I do not meet the 50-post threshold.
    Last edited by robbieuva; 02-05-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000) Corbets is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Speed. Didn’t want to wait to find a bar, chains are easy at thr local hardware store.
    My home gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1623181551&viewfull=1#post1623181551

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

mrpmgym is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lats pulldown

I am new and about to purchase a ft2. I am reading views about lats pulldown above which is a must for me. I am bit confused. Those who use ft2, can they expand on whether it would serve the purpose of lats pulldown similar to traditional pull down machines. It would really help if they could say what possible positions pull down can be down in this trainer and how successful is it. Thank you

potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50) potatosoup will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used the smith bar to hold my legs down, and it worked beautifully.

There’s an attachment that you can get that connects to the “bench hold” at the bottom of the FT that serves as a foot rest for low rows. Im not sure if it comes with the unit. It’s a must.