Australian Guy Abroad 2MuChBoDyFaT's Avatar
    2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Pull Ups - Grip Width

Hey guys,

Just after a general idea of what grip width "most people" use for the pull ups ?

I have been doing wide grip, but sometimes I feel a bit of a twinge in my bad shoulder. I also read that doing a wide grip places excessive stress on the shoulder joint

Can you still get lat development from a shoulder width (or slightly narrower than shoulder width) grip ? Or does this turn them into a purely back development exercise ?

Extremist Pullup ...... are you out there ?

b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    back = lats. Many people try to work there infraspinatus by doing them wide, but this isnt a good idea

Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Big Ad is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I only do shoulder width grip pull ups and i seem to get plenty of lat recruitment, personally i think the while wide grip targets lats thing is a bit of a myth. Like you say it can be pretty hard on the shoulders too.
    I have been Michael's number two guy for about five years, and we make a great team. We're like one of those classic famous teams. He's like Mozart and I'm like Mozart's friend. No, I'm like Butch Cassidy and Michael is like Mozart. You try and hurt Mozart, you're gonna get a bullet in your head, courtesy of Butch Cassidy.

dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dougc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Too wide of a grip irritates my shoulders. I found that the most comfortable grip is just a bit wider than shoulder width. Still get plenty of lat recruitment. I also find that if I start the movement by depressing my shoulders, scapula I feel it more in my lats and take my arms out of it by visualizing forcing the elbows down and back.

bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bingpwr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post
    Too wide of a grip irritates my shoulders. I found that the most comfortable grip is just a bit wider than shoulder width. Still get plenty of lat recruitment. I also find that if I start the movement by depressing my shoulders, scapula I feel it more in my lats and take my arms out of it by visualizing forcing the elbows down and back.
    +1

lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lukebr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah?

ive found the wider i go the more im feeling it in my lats.

from when i do it i find the closer my grip is the more i feel it in my biceps and it feels like im cheating so i always try to keep it really wide.

BUT

if you gettin shoulder irritations from it then id say dump it rather than continue to do it and work on maybe strengthening your shoulder or switching exercises

DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DEVzzz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just do wide, shoulder, and narrow hammer grip.

If wide was uncomfortable for me I would drop it though.

x2 on the comment about concentrating on moving the elbows, this helps me with any back exercise to take the arms out of it.
    Never put your head down.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 2MuChBoDyFaT View Post
    Hey guys,

Just after a general idea of what grip width "most people" use for the pull ups ?

I have been doing wide grip, but sometimes I feel a bit of a twinge in my bad shoulder. I also read that doing a wide grip places excessive stress on the shoulder joint

Can you still get lat development from a shoulder width (or slightly narrower than shoulder width) grip ? Or does this turn them into a purely back development exercise ?

You can certainly get good width from a shoulder width grip. I currently do my weighted pullups at a very slightly wider then shoulder grip form, and have seen excellent results. While I wouldn't say that the wider grip equals a wider back is a myth, it certainly is not necessary for lat stimulation. The bottom line is, try to do different widths occasionally instead of focusing on one exclusively.

If I remember correctly, Extremist posted that he was doing them shoulder width currently. If that doesn't prove it, what will?
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2MuChBoDyFaT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the replies. (repped who i could before I ran out of charge)

Cheers ~

DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanielX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    After reading an article about the myth of wide grip to get wide 5 years ago,I've only ever done reverse grip shoulder width and slightly narrower pulldowns/chins.I got good width from staying away from the "pulling my damn shoulders out of my socket" feeling which seem to target the upper lats just under your armpit.Your lats get a better "pre-stretch" from shoulder width than from wide grip.Sure the biceps come into play but it's not a big deal.Triceps are what fail first in bench press exercises...so what.
    "The government today announced that it is changing its emblem from an Eagle to a CONDOM because it more accurately reflects the government's political stance. A condom allows for inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed. "

GrecoWrestler-Kickboxing MastaM's Avatar
    MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    do you guys do them palms facing toward you or away from you if you do them shoulder width?

Originally Posted by MastaM View Post
    do you guys do them palms facing toward you or away from you if you do them shoulder width?
    We are talking about "pull ups" .. so palms facing away dude

(palms facing towards you are "chin ups")

Cheers ~

GrecoWrestler-Kickboxing MastaM's Avatar
    MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MastaM has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    alright thax bro, ya i knew that but was just making sure because people often use pull ups in the wrong manner

taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taipan_342 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 2MuChBoDyFaT View Post
    Hey guys,

I have ongoing problems with my right shoulder but the weird thing is one of the few exercizes i dont feel any discomfort with is pull-ups. I just use the pull-up bar they have at my local gym and its just slightly wider then shoulder width although you can position your hands wider. I also arch my back alittle bit and try and treat the movement as a row more so then a pull-up, i dont exaggerate it but enough to take any real pressure off of my shoulders.