Voters
316. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upright row

128 40.51%
  • Side lateral raise

188 59.49%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    rich0331 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    in regards to upright rows with dumbbells...

Originally posted by midian
    the weight would bounce against your chest,
    I do NOT agree one bit, I've done em with db's and had no problem, just don't go overboard with the poundage your using

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Upright Rows vs Side laterals

Originally posted by r6phantom
    Because you can stimulate the medial head with more weight on upright rows, does it make it better? This is following the logic that bench presses are better than flies, squat is better than leg extension, etc...

If you read my other post i am using bench, deadlift, squat, bbrow and chins in my hst routine. My delts are lagging and dont know which exercise i should focus on. And yes i know upright rows puts my rotator cuff in a vulerable position.
    it dosn't exactly follow that logic
    the Medial heads arn't the prime movers on uprights (lest I don't think so)
    it's arguable that pecs arn't on flat bench, but they do some work so it might be comparable there, but I personally think Flys over Uprights
    and I voted thusly

P.O.S. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I remember reading about an exercise that is good for the rotator cuff, makes it stronger and more flexible.

If I find it again, I'll post a link.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/likness22.htm

If I did said exercise, and maybe a rotator cuff stretch ??? along with it, would that make upright rows safer?
    Last edited by P.O.S.; 08-21-2004 at 10:35 AM.

RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiNgMaSteR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Up right rows cause shoulder impingement and = bad in the long run. Plenty of other good exercises to work the shoulders.
    Link to my journal.....

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=359604

Stats=currently injured ankle

best lifts at 180

bench 225/10 275/2
    Deadlift 405/5 455/1
    Full oly style Squat 325 w/belt

A.M. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It seems to me that if your upper arm is doing exactly the same movement as it would in a side lateral then there can't be any problems. Obviously this isn't the case with barbell upright rows, but dumbell one's can be done with the hands in several different positions, so I think you could do them with the upper arm performing the same movement.

champs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    executed properly there is no problem with upright rows and the primary mover is infact the medial delt.

To avoid impingement/shoulder problems

Grasp bar at shoulder width or slightly wider
    Lean (a tiny bit) forward slightly at waist
    Pull directly up keeping the bar as close to your body as possible
    Stop when your upper arms are in line with your shoulders (important! use a mirror, for most people this will be when the bar is in line with lower-middle chest)

Lower slowly, repeat

There is no need to go higher, the majority of the work done once you pass parrallel is done by the traps (plus the issues with rotator cuff strain/impingement arise during this part of the rom)

Essentially your delts are moving through the same range of motion as with a lateral but it's a compound exercise and will hopefully allow you more leeway when it comes to progressive weight increments. Probably the best compound exercise for hitting the medial delt head.
    Last edited by champs; 03-01-2005 at 09:04 PM.
    This is my sandbox, I'm not allowed in the deep end, and here is the rock where I met the leprechaun, he tells me to burn things.

Oh boy sleep! thats where I'm a viking!

Me fail english? unpossible!

Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Limbo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lightbulb

Hang cleans.

They're like upright rows except without the shoulder worries.

Hang cleans are decent, but they are too non specific delt-wise. Not to mention alot of the work is done by leg/hip extension.
    This is my sandbox, I'm not allowed in the deep end, and here is the rock where I met the leprechaun, he tells me to burn things.

DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50) DUILEE will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Does anybody else find it funny that every couple of months atleast one movement or exercise all of the sudden become dangerous. Squats, Bench press, upright rows, behind the neck push/pulls, leg press, etc. The funniest thing is a year later they magically become good for you again. Quit doing squats, quit doing bench press, quit doing military press, quit doing upright rows. Quit being such pussies, go to ballet if lifting is too dangerous for you.
    If you were a hotdog would you eat yourself?

Why not have the best of both worlds? Go to the ballet AND lift.

UnderWare1213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can anyone explain to me what a "Cuban press" is?
    20 years old | 5'8" 150lbs | ~8% body fat | Ectomorph | Training since December 2004

Max lifts:
    Deadlift - 385lbs
    Squat - 335lbs
    Bench - 225lbs

ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about bent over bb rows? they work your lats? can someone give me a list of exersises which work your back please, specialy lats.
    thankyou
    5"6
    142lb

DEADLIFT: 130kg x3
    BENCH: 82.5kg x3
    SQUAT:100kg x1 (bare in mind ive only just started squats)

Goals-
    After summer

150-55lb
    Deadlift-140kg x+1
    Bench-90+kg x1+
    Squat-over 130kg x1+

About 12% BF (less if anything)

on the usual bulking diet 5-7 meals a day.
    im on...ON 100% whey gold ;) (strawberry :D)post workout, 1 scoop (plus a tin of tuna)

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    to the nipple nevel, done slowely and controlled it can be a great excerise.

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    dont bump ancient threads...