Page 150 of 278 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 148 149 150 151 152 160 200 250 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 8322
    Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TnTNZ View Post
    You're not confused. You know the answer. You're just looking for an easy fix. There isn't one. If you want to lose belly fat, you need to be tighter on your diet. It's a simple answer. It's just not an easy one. You can throw some steady state cardio in to assist, but it's easier to not put the calories in, rather than burn them off.

Cool, well still stick to that start point. Follow the progression scheme, and use the reset protocol when needed. Everything will work.
    Thanks for underlying what I already underlied. With all due respect, have you ever tried to run two different programs in a row like a cycle with a specific timing? If not what is the exact reason?

Because what I asked is "....IF this can be, a back yard solution since diet cannot be tighter?" So your EASY fix, may be my DIFFICULT alternative, in the end the answer can be a sharp&rough "NO" (which will probably be, as I mentioned) but with an expectation of a reason. Not a text combined full of information gathered through Fierce 5 Routine pages of the thread itself.

Thanks for your input, but I expect a yes/no for modifiying an alternative hypertrophy program meanwhile with Fierce 5 Upper/Lower, with a reason based on programming dynamics since maybe that missing part of disciplinary about nutrition can be fulfilled by exercises/routine/intensity/volume focusing or whatever we need to name it on shoulder or lats, not in terms of nutrition.

I just want to learn the reason for that yes or no, if it is possible please.

liftertr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hi, thanks for the great routine man.I am doing your int U/L.I have some questions.I have read all the info in the first page you said weighted back extensions,good mornings etc. are good subs for rdl but is the rdl a good sub for back extensions because I don't likem them it give my lower back pain.And I am doing sean nale's one arm row instead of bow it is a bit different than kroc row is it okay?.Lastly, I saw lots of exercise videos about reverse flies and everyone is different :/ can you give me an example video with dumbells.Thank you so much

TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mertcann85 View Post
    Thanks for underlying what I already underlied. With all due respect, have you ever tried to run two different programs in a row like a cycle with a specific timing? If not what is the exact reason?
    I haven't tried running two programs at specific timings because of the following

To lose 'belly fat' you are looking to lose body fat, you cannot target the area that your body burns fat, it will do what it does, (and most guys tend to have the 'love handle' problem, myself included). The only way to target fat loss at a specific location on your body is surgically. So doing specific exercises to 'burn fat' is demonstrably pointless, there is plenty of evidence for this.

So in to get rid of body fat you need to burn more energy than you consume in order to start using up your reserves. There are two ways to do that. Burn more energy, (ie. do more exercise), or put less energy in, (ie. eat less).

Now given that it's really *really* easy to ingest calories, (I can and do easily eat 800 cals inside of 10 minutes at breakfast), and it's really really hard to burn them off, (a good weight session of an hour will typically burn off ~500 calories for me). Given the choice, I would choose to put less energy in, than try and burn more off. Why? because you mentioned 'lazy option', eating less is the lazy option because I have to actually *do* less to put myself in a caloric deficit and lose fat.

If I *was* going to cycle two programs it would be a weight program, in this case fierce 5, and a cardio program, (ie doing cardio on the days I wasn't lifting)... not another weight program.

Edit: Reading back over your post, basically it boils down to this. You need to give your diet as much effort, if not more, as you do for your lifting. You have to take control, it'll take planning, and it won't be easy, but man... neither is putting 100+kg on your back squatting down and standing back up and I assume your either doing that, or trying to. Ditch the excuses, and take control. You have to eat whatever is at work? Then take stuff to work. You get home at 23:30 and have to eat what ever is there? make sure whatever is there is right for you.
    Last edited by TnTNZ; 03-21-2017 at 05:41 AM.
    Training Log : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175236371
    PRs- (in KGs at meets): 170/120/200
    FMH Crew - The Crazy Uncle

Nanakorobi yaoki

Koino16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Newbie

Need help cuz im newbie any suggsrion about my daily routine

First
    Breakfast oatmeal and bacon and i take 1scoop whey protein ,10grams bcaa 5000 powder and 2 tablets amino acids 2222 and 1 cup of coffe 30mins rest and hit the gym and finish gym i relax again in 30mins and i take 1 scoop whey protein , 5 grams creatine and 2 tablets amino acids 2222

Last one going to bed i take 1scoop whey protein and 5grams glutamine

Any suggstion anyone? Im new sorry

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MattJ45 View Post
    Hi, quick question ref the weight. I'm just starting the novice routine, should I pick a weight that relatively comfortably allows me to hit the require reps, or should I be failing most sets?
    Just wanted to add to what TNT said. If you're failing most sets then you'd have to reduce weight according to the reset protocol on the first page. Your entire questions tells me you either didn't read the first page or didn't plan on using the program correctly. Either mistake will lead to a lack of results.

Not trying to criticize you, just trying to point you in the right direction brother.

Because what I asked is "....IF this can be, a back yard solution since diet cannot be tighter?" So your EASY fix, may be my DIFFICULT alternative, in the end the answer can be a sharp&rough "NO" (which will probably be, as I mentioned) but with an expectation of a reason. Not a text combined full of information gathered through Fierce 5 Routine pages of the thread itself.

Thanks for your input, but I expect a yes/no for modifiying an alternative hypertrophy program meanwhile with Fierce 5 Upper/Lower, with a reason based on programming dynamics since maybe that missing part of disciplinary about nutrition can be fulfilled by exercises/routine/intensity/volume focusing or whatever we need to name it on shoulder or lats, not in terms of nutrition.

I just want to learn the reason for that yes or no, if it is possible please.
    You posted a lot of info and I'll try to address it all. First I want to say that if your diet isn't controlled then it's going to be nearly impossible to get handle on your bodyfat % and change your love handle situation. You seem to understand this, but for others reading, it had to be said again. If your diet is not controlled little to no progress will be made in terms of body composition. Getting within a few hundred calories a day is controlled by my standards. Over time you should still be seeing a trend of either gaining weight or losing it depending on your goal at the time. TNT already wrote a good post about this so I'm not going into any more detail. Again, you seem to realize this, but for others, it had to be mentioned.

With that out of the way...So your idea is that if you spent a handful of months out of the year focusing on bringing up certain bodyparts then they would help hide fat on your love handles. This is right and wrong and I'll try to explain it as concisely as I can.

The first thing that jumps out at me is balance. It isn't that Fierce 5 is sensitive to balanced development; it's our bodies and my interpretation of them. So like you mentioned hopping around between programs specifically designed to pour a bunch of work into certain body parts would lead to imbalances. You simply can't put a bunch of work into say shoulders and lats without fukking up your body. This takes a while to show itself in terms of pain, but it's going to happen eventually. Once they are fukked up there isn't going back. I've had two shoulder surgeries and it is absolute trash at this point. This approach would help hide some problems areas, but obviously it isn't reducing fat. It's also going to take a VERY long time to actually bring those areas up to a point that they help hide anything. Every cycle you ran to increase the size of those muscle is going to further fukk up your body and get you closer to making buddies with a shoulder surgeon.

Another downside is shortening the progression cycle. Let's use 5/3/1 for an example because it's easy to understand. You are supposed to start using 90% of your 1RM and slowly month by month add weight to it. This cycle doesn't get hard for several months. For the first 2-3 months you're laying the ground work to make good strides in months 4+. If you switched after 3 months then you'd have just walked away from the best gains the program would have given you. All good programs work this way on different levels, but in every scenario you're not making your best gains in the first few months. That's why programs that start hard, heavy and have "12 week program" are commonly criticized. There is no peaking. Without peaking you're going to make worse progress. That's why beginners who hop around on different programs every 4 weeks make terrible progress.
    Originally Posted by liftertr View Post
    hi, thanks for the great routine man.I am doing your int U/L.I have some questions.I have read all the info in the first page you said weighted back extensions,good mornings etc. are good subs for rdl but is the rdl a good sub for back extensions because I don't likem them it give my lower back pain.And I am doing sean nale's one arm row instead of bow it is a bit different than kroc row is it okay?.Lastly, I saw lots of exercise videos about reverse flies and everyone is different :/ can you give me an example video with dumbells.Thank you so much
    1. Yes RDL is good
    2. Not familiar with it, but I'm sure it's fine.
    3. Notice it's a horizontal pull and not incline. Notice the pause at the top. His thumbs are pointed forward, but you can point them down if you like.

Originally Posted by Koino16 View Post
    Need help cuz im newbie any suggsrion about my daily routine

First
    Breakfast oatmeal and bacon and i take 1scoop whey protein ,10grams bcaa 5000 powder and 2 tablets amino acids 2222 and 1 cup of coffe 30mins rest and hit the gym and finish gym i relax again in 30mins and i take 1 scoop whey protein , 5 grams creatine and 2 tablets amino acids 2222

Last one going to bed i take 1scoop whey protein and 5grams glutamine

Any suggstion anyone? Im new sorry
    Well in general I'd say that when you run out of the BCAA, amino acids and glutamine then don't order anymore. It's not helping you right now. If you'd been lifting for 10 years and were trying to squeeze the last tiny bit of muscle out of your genetics then it can be helpful, but all that crap isn't responsible for even 5% of your results right now. It's just costing you money.

In terms of general advice, I'd suggest reading the FAQ. They have tons of good info about stuff you probably hadn't thought to ask about yet. Literally everything you need to know is in there if you take the time to go through it all slowly enough to retain it.

gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gesler0811 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A lot of new posters in this thread obviously failing to read FAQs.....

Like, seriously. Why would you come to a program's page and not read the instructions before asking your questions?
    Better Every Day: A Log About Lifting, Supps, and Life
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174233481

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It is written million times that gaining fat is almost impossible during bulking phase
    What? You have that completely backwards. It's almost unavoidable to gain some fat when you bulk.

Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mertcann85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RK42 View Post
    What? You have that completely backwards. It's almost unavoidable to gain some fat when you bulk.
    Grammar edited, thanks.

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post

You posted a lot of info and I'll try to address it all. First I want to say that if your diet isn't controlled then it's going to be nearly impossible to get handle on your bodyfat % and change your love handle situation. You seem to understand this, but for others reading, it had to be said again. If your diet is not controlled little to no progress will be made in terms of body composition. Getting within a few hundred calories a day is controlled by my standards. Over time you should still be seeing a trend of either gaining weight or losing it depending on your goal at the time. TNT already wrote a good post about this so I'm not going into any more detail. Again, you seem to realize this, but for others, it had to be mentioned.

With that out of the way...So your idea is that if you spent a handful of months out of the year focusing on bringing up certain bodyparts then they would help hide fat on your love handles. This is right and wrong and I'll try to explain it as concisely as I can.

The first thing that jumps out at me is balance. It isn't that Fierce 5 is sensitive to balanced development; it's our bodies and my interpretation of them. So like you mentioned hopping around between programs specifically designed to pour a bunch of work into certain body parts would lead to imbalances. You simply can't put a bunch of work into say shoulders and lats without fukking up your body. This takes a while to show itself in terms of pain, but it's going to happen eventually. Once they are fukked up there isn't going back. I've had two shoulder surgeries and it is absolute trash at this point. This approach would help hide some problems areas, but obviously it isn't reducing fat. It's also going to take a VERY long time to actually bring those areas up to a point that they help hide anything. Every cycle you ran to increase the size of those muscle is going to further fukk up your body and get you closer to making buddies with a shoulder surgeon.

Another downside is shortening the progression cycle. Let's use 5/3/1 for an example because it's easy to understand. You are supposed to start using 90% of your 1RM and slowly month by month add weight to it. This cycle doesn't get hard for several months. For the first 2-3 months you're laying the ground work to make good strides in months 4+. If you switched after 3 months then you'd have just walked away from the best gains the program would have given you. All good programs work this way on different levels, but in every scenario you're not making your best gains in the first few months. That's why programs that start hard, heavy and have "12 week program" are commonly criticized. There is no peaking. Without peaking you're going to make worse progress. That's why beginners who hop around on different programs every 4 weeks make terrible progress.

This is the reason I wrote it. I guess moving into early intermediate level or let's say progressing is not only about knowing your body and increasing the numbers, but also going deeper into the informational level; is my humble opinion. I try to optimize gains although it is too early via looking for alternatives, maybe even tiny shortcuts or adjustments that can be tailored according to my daily life conditions.

My bad that, could not figure it out how long it will take to have that illusion related to lats or shoulders against love handles. I read a lot that, you are not a big fan of recomposing yourself, and I totally follow your path in this issue regarding to your knowledge and experience. So, a little effort on diet is the only exit way. Again, as usual; keeping it simple will be the solution.

Reasons&science&experience...

Thank you for your time, got my response.

MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    Just wanted to add to what TNT said. If you're failing most sets then you'd have to reduce weight according to the reset protocol on the first page. Your entire questions tells me you either didn't read the first page or didn't plan on using the program correctly. Either mistake will lead to a lack of results.

Not trying to criticize you, just trying to point you in the right direction brother.
    I had read it, honest!! But I take your point. I read it all initially at the weekend, and having started last night thought about this question. For whatever reason I didn't make the link to your notes about reset which in hindsight is stupid on my part, my bad.

I do plan to to run the program to the letter. Having tried various other stuff over the years and only recently finding these forums, I'm looking forward to following something that seems to have been generally accepted as a good long term plan.

I'll crack on!

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Grammar edited, thanks.
    You actually have pretty decent english.

Dani163 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I began the program on Monday with workout B I switched the front squat to barbell squat, but I didn't do the pause barbell squat. Is it still permissible to do a barbell squat without the pause? Also, I think I hurt my knee when I did the squat on my way up. It feels kind of weird right now too, it doesnt hurt but it could get hurt if I do one more mistake on the exercise. What happened was that my knees didn't cooperate on the way up even though my toes were pointed outwards, but I think I should go a little bit lighter today when I do workout A and do 3x5 barbell squats.

Is it possible to do a barbell behind the back squat and RDL on the same day, because I have a hard time doing the front squat because it is a pain in the ass to front squat with the barbell over my delts.

TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TnTNZ has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is the reason I wrote it. I guess moving into early intermediate level or let's say progressing is not only about knowing your body and increasing the numbers, but also going deeper into the informational level; is my humble opinion. I try to optimize gains although it is too early via looking for alternatives, maybe even tiny shortcuts or adjustments that can be tailored according to my daily life conditions.

My bad that, could not figure it out how long it will take to have that illusion related to lats or shoulders against love handles. I read a lot that, you are not a big fan of recomposing yourself, and I totally follow your path in this issue regarding to your knowledge and experience. So, a little effort on diet is the only exit way. Again, as usual; keeping it simple will be the solution.

Reasons&science&experience...

Thank you for your time, got my response.
    Davis covered your question brilliantly as he always does. My response was geared around a kind of 'cost/benefit analysis' I got your point about trying to create the illusion, but for me it's a case of 'fat is easier to lose, than muscle is to build'. One of the other mods around here Ironwill2008 has a great tag line, 'you can't out train bad nutrition' and it holds up so true. The really are only two tricks to this it would seem, consistency and hard work. Well I suppose there is three, but we're talking natural methods here
    Training Log : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175236371
    PRs- (in KGs at meets): 170/120/200
    FMH Crew - The Crazy Uncle

Nanakorobi yaoki

Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Morning,

Thought I'd update you! I'm absolutely shattered. The caloric deficit seems to be taking it's toll or I'm having a bad week, I've added in 30 or so minutes of steady state cardio on an incline treadmill which is estimated at 250ish loss of calories at a time in a bid to speed up the process. I'm 9 weeks into my cut and I've dropped about 8lbs in total, not quite the speed I wanted to be fair but I only added cardio in over the last 3 weeks. I'm now down to 201.5lbs with an initial target of 196 (I ideally want to drop further down to 182 but I'm not sure it's going to happen if I feel like this).

My lifts in this time have all hit personal bests (however when I was 182lbs a few years ago I wasn't too far away from these lifts which is a bit beyond belief right now (apart from deadlifts as it was only one set doing 5*5). I'm currently at finishing the increased rep week and am at Bench 57.5KG (126lbs) Squat 90KG (198lbs ish) and deadlift working sets 120KG (265lbs ish).

I've not really seen any visible changes to weight, or muscle which can be frustrating at times but hey ho, I know the score.

My question today is about spotters.. I go to the gym alone, always have done. Last year I had an injury with 80kg on my back with squats that put me out for a considerable time with sciatica so this mentally plays a part. Anyway's yesterday I felt I was giving it my all to ensure that I got my final reps of each set up safely. How am I going to feel next week (on a deficit) when the weight is 95KG and two weeks after at 100KG? I understand how progressive overload works etc but I do fear that I'm possibly putting myself at risk going for now basically personal records every single week without having a spotter?

Any thoughts?

liftertr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hi davis,I did the changes you told me and program feels even better(int U/L).I have a few questions.I changed flies with flat dumbbell press in upper b day.You told that any chest exercise is okay are compounds are okay too?Because flies does not work your tri's.I feel I am pushing a little much(ohp,flat bench and tri pushdowns and each one works more or less triceps) is it okay or should I change flat dumb's with chest iso exercise.And second question which type of pushdown you recommend(straight bar,v bar,I can not say cable cause my gym does not have that :/ maybe towel)? Thank you man

bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Irwell1986 View Post
    Morning,

Thought I'd update you! I'm absolutely shattered. The caloric deficit seems to be taking it's toll or I'm having a bad week, I've added in 30 or so minutes of steady state cardio on an incline treadmill which is estimated at 250ish loss of calories at a time in a bid to speed up the process. I'm 9 weeks into my cut and I've dropped about 8lbs in total, not quite the speed I wanted to be fair but I only added cardio in over the last 3 weeks. I'm now down to 201.5lbs with an initial target of 196 (I ideally want to drop further down to 182 but I'm not sure it's going to happen if I feel like this).

My lifts in this time have all hit personal bests (however when I was 182lbs a few years ago I wasn't too far away from these lifts which is a bit beyond belief right now (apart from deadlifts as it was only one set doing 5*5). I'm currently at finishing the increased rep week and am at Bench 57.5KG (126lbs) Squat 90KG (198lbs ish) and deadlift working sets 120KG (265lbs ish).

I've not really seen any visible changes to weight, or muscle which can be frustrating at times but hey ho, I know the score.

My question today is about spotters.. I go to the gym alone, always have done. Last year I had an injury with 80kg on my back with squats that put me out for a considerable time with sciatica so this mentally plays a part. Anyway's yesterday I felt I was giving it my all to ensure that I got my final reps of each set up safely. How am I going to feel next week (on a deficit) when the weight is 95KG and two weeks after at 100KG? I understand how progressive overload works etc but I do fear that I'm possibly putting myself at risk going for now basically personal records every single week without having a spotter?

Any thoughts?
    I train alone and without a spotter. I just ensure I never go to failure and stop if I feel i'm going to struggle to get the last rep out safely - especially on bench.

With squats you have the safety rails to drop the bar if your need to, but it is best to go with caution and follow the reset protocol where necessary.

Deads and rows you can drop the bar too and OHP you can so shouldnt be too many issues there.

If you are worried about injuring yourself due to form breakdown/failure you should already be thinking rest/reset in your head.

Amandeep3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How do you know which program to use out of novice or intermediate?
    I'm currently 72kg and for bench do 3x8 on 65kg, for deadlifts 3x8 on 100kg, for pullups can do 2x8 and 1x6 and just coming back from ligament damage to ankle so getting back into squats slowly but am leg pressing 4x10 on 100.

Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irwell1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bob2589 View Post
    I train alone and without a spotter. I just ensure I never go to failure and stop if I feel i'm going to struggle to get the last rep out safely - especially on bench.

With squats you have the safety rails to drop the bar if your need to, but it is best to go with caution and follow the reset protocol where necessary.

Deads and rows you can drop the bar too and OHP you can so shouldnt be too many issues there.

If you are worried about injuring yourself due to form breakdown/failure you should already be thinking rest/reset in your head.
    Safety bars **** me over, I hit into them when I drop so it puts me off.

Originally Posted by liftertr View Post
    hi davis,I did the changes you told me and program feels even better(int U/L).I have a few questions.I changed flies with flat dumbbell press in upper b day.You told that any chest exercise is okay are compounds are okay too?Because flies does not work your tri's.I feel I am pushing a little much(ohp,flat bench and tri pushdowns and each one works more or less triceps) is it okay or should I change flat dumb's with chest iso exercise.And second question which type of pushdown you recommend(straight bar,v bar,I can not say cable cause my gym does not have that :/ maybe towel)? Thank you man
    You can keep the press. No harm is giving the tris extra work in this case. Any kind of pushdown you like brother.

This^^^

post a form video if you'd like help. Form or lack of a plan for failing is what will injure you, not failing a rep.
    Originally Posted by Amandeep3 View Post
    How do you know which program to use out of novice or intermediate?
    I'm currently 72kg and for bench do 3x8 on 65kg, for deadlifts 3x8 on 100kg, for pullups can do 2x8 and 1x6 and just coming back from ligament damage to ankle so getting back into squats slowly but am leg pressing 4x10 on 100.
    I would go novice. If you do it for a few months and don't like it then move to intermediate.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In 3 years I've used the safeties 2 times..
    Once the bar slipped down my back from sweat and crap knurling, the other my eyes got too big and I missed 250kg..

Just set them 1 notch lower, so you have room at the bottom to just dump it 2"... And if you occasionally hit the safeties and not so the time your Form need work for depth consistency and tightness.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Then the safety bars are not correctly places.

This is where a power rack with adjustable safeties proves itself as THE necessary piece of weight room equipment.

If your form is really consistent you can get safety bars set JUUUST below your maximum depth...but if you need to set them even deeper, you can.

I rarely hit the safeties...even when set this close to within an inch of my bottom position.

So...just set them lower

bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    For someone who has previously injured themselves squatting this sounds like a mistake.

Surely you can set them lower - and if they are already on the lowest setting and you're hitting them then maybe you are squatting too low which again could be a mistake for someone who has had trouble in the past?

I know I wouldnt want to step into the rack and squat without having the safetys on, even if it is just a mental thing, its still an edge.

Just my thoughts...

Check out pure gyms equipment to see what sort of squat rack it is. I'm just on phone so can't link. The safety bar slots are static and the lowest one is too high for a short arse like me and the actual rack legs itself are a bit too low hence the bar causing me injury last time (I think)

For someone who has previously injured themselves squatting this sounds like a mistake.

Surely you can set them lower - and if they are already on the lowest setting and you're hitting them then maybe you are squatting too low which again could be a mistake for someone who has had trouble in the past?

I know I wouldnt want to step into the rack and squat without having the safetys on, even if it is just a mental thing, its still an edge.

Just my thoughts...
    Maybe I am squatting too low but that's a big thing to change, it's automatic now. You're right about the mental edge and that's something that plays on my mind every time which is what I was trying to say. Maybe that's my only option... get comfortable with not going so low

Maybe I am squatting too low but that's a big thing to change, it's automatic now. You're right about the mental edge and that's something that plays on my mind every time which is what I was trying to say. Maybe that's my only option... get comfortable with not going so low
    Its a personal thing based on your own anatomy.

I jumped on the 'ass to grass' bandwagon and was pummeling my lower back with buttwink and sloppy form in the hole. Leaving aside flexibility and mobility, some people just perform better with not going so low.

Have you ever filmed your squat from the side to check form and alignment?

I dont know about pure gym, but my gym has a half rack with adjustable safety bars and it's great.

MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Davis - would it affect my progress if I chucked in a couple of extra ab exercises?

pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pjizel69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Davis - I'm struggling to find a way to incorporate your awesome routine in my training schedule. I've fairly recently gotten in to distance running, and do roughly 4 competitive half marathons a year and run about 20-30 miles a week. I still want to continue my strength training in addition to my running. I realize that doing both will prevent me from excelling at either sport, but am OK with that.

I have been doing the novice routine for about 4 months now, but it is pretty hard to hit the goal weight every workout because I'm running so much. Would you suggest I follow the smaller weight increases if I continue this routine? Would you have any other suggestions for me?

I typically run 3-4 days a week, then your novice routine 3 days a week (sometimes lift + easy run on the same day).

My 5RM for the lifts are:

Squat - 245 lb
    Bench - 185 lb
    RDL - 245 lb
    Military - 115 lb
    Pendlay - 155 lb

Appreciate any advice you have!
    Controlled Labs PROnom 23 Sponsored Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149258483

Gold Feast Juicy Watermelon Sponsored Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147325173

White Flood V2 Updated Flavor Weekly Reviews - Electric Lemonade
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137503983

Hey Davis,

How often should I do each exercise during the three workouts on the novice program, should I totally ignore dips or when should I begin doing dips? I would like to do include all exercises as much as possible so I can see a progress, but I want to make an effective improvement as well like improving my bench so I can lift heavier there. What's your recommendations on this?

If face pulls is included in workout a on Monday and Friday, should I do face pulls on both of the days so I can be able to increase the weight the next week or is it possible that I do the face pull exercise on Monday and reverse flies on Friday, and still be able to increase the weight on both exercises the next week?

I'm 4 days into this program and I've never been training the same muscle group every 48hrs so this Is something new to me, please advice me if you can!

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dani163 View Post
    Hey Davis,

How often should I do each exercise during the three workouts on the novice program, should I totally ignore dips or when should I begin doing dips? I would like to do include all exercises as much as possible so I can see a progress, but I want to make an effective improvement as well like improving my bench so I can lift heavier there. What's your recommendations on this?

If face pulls is included in workout a on Monday and Friday, should I do face pulls on both of the days so I can be able to increase the weight the next week or is it possible that I do the face pull exercise on Monday and reverse flies on Friday, and still be able to increase the weight on both exercises the next week?

I'm 4 days into this program and I've never been training the same muscle group every 48hrs so this Is something new to me, please advice me if you can!
    It seems to me that you are asking "should I do the program or should I not do the program?", in which case, well, I hope you know the answer

The regular novice full body program says to do face pulls every A day, yes? So why would you not do face pulls on every A day?

Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    It seems to me that you are asking "should I do the program or should I not do the program?", in which case, well, I hope you know the answer

The regular novice full body program says to do face pulls every A day, yes? So why would you not do face pulls on every A day?
    I'm asking if it is permissible to switch one exercise to one another that's an acceptable substitute, for face pulls the acceptable substitute is reverse flies, correct? So should I keep improving my muscle groups doing the same exercises over and over again or should I train by switching the exercises to the ones in the ''acceptable substitute'' list every once in a while..?

Page 150 of 278 FirstFirst ... 50 100 140 148 149 150 151 152 160 200 250 ... LastLast