Page 269 of 269 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269
Results 8,041 to 8,054 of 8054
    tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Vicks-you'll be fine just do 3×5

Cautious-forearm work would probably be a waste of your time but go ahead, again with shrugs. You dont need decline because it works the chest pretty much the as any other chest exercise

Devbruh-you could always do back squat on both days and add sldl on day 2.

melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50) melpa64 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is doing an upper body say on a Monday resting Tuesday and upper body wednesday enough time to rest? I know everyone is different and I am still sore by the third day but is this risky? I.e. injuries.

cubic25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey all,

I've started the U/L intermediate routine after having done the Novice full body for the last 6 months. I love it. I've never gained this quickly and I never realised how much I neglected legs when I was doing other routines over the years.

I've got a couple of questions about subs.

I have intermittent lower back problems, mostly related to work. I have a spasm around my quadratus lumborem and erector spinae. I'm no good with movements that cause me to load up in a flexed position......if that makes sense.

Due to this, BOR and Pendlays are an issue for me.

What would be the best exercises to sub for these?

BOR - seated cable row?
    Pendlays - Dumbell row?

Weighted back extensions, Romanian deads and both squat variants are fine for now, surprisingly.
    Due to equipment restriction, I've subbed leg press with front squats, so now I'm doing them twice in both Lower A and B. Is that OK?

Also, I just need some clarification about one exercise. In both Lower A and B, it asks for leg curls. When I google leg curls, about 50 different exercises come up. Can someone please post a link to which specific one he means?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.
    Last edited by cubic25; 04-13-2020 at 05:19 PM.

tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000) tommy4life is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cubic25 View Post
    Hey all,

I've started the U/L intermediate routine after having done the Novice full body for the last 6 months. I love it. I've never gained this quickly and I never realised how much I neglected legs when I was doing other routines over the years.

I've got a couple of questions about subs.

I have intermittent lower back problems, mostly related to work. I have a spasm around my quadratus lumborem and erector spinae. I'm no good with movements that cause me to load up in a flexed position......if that makes sense.

Due to this, BOR and Pendlays are an issue for me.

What would be the best exercises to sub for these?

BOR - seated cable row?
    Pendlays - Dumbell row?

Weighted back extensions, Romanian deads and both squat variants are fine for now, surprisingly.
    Due to equipment restriction, I've subbed leg press with front squats, so now I'm doing them twice in both Lower A and B. Is that OK?

Also, I just need some clarification about one exercise. In both Lower A and B, it asks for leg curls. When I google leg curls, about 50 different exercises come up. Can someone please post a link to which specific one he means?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

Odd that rdl and squats dont bother you but rows do, especially pendlay...might want to check form. But if you have to, BOR can be swapped for any row and pendlay for any row where elbows arw out and pulling towards the chest.

Would be better to sub leg press for lunge variatiin (walking, reverse, split squat)

Leg curl >
    Attached Images

agc1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agc1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agc1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agc1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) agc1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have a home gym with a power rack, high/low cable pull, barbell, dumbells and bench.
    I've been doing the upper /lower workout since the beginning of the year and have used numerous substitutions mentioned in this thread for things like leg press, curl and extension as I don't have the machines. I have also put in the deadlift on lower b with the subs mentioned.

However, I'm not sure if what I am doing is for the best. Is thre anything I can do to improve the lower workout?

Lower A
    Squat
    Good mornings
    Lunge
    Nordic ham curls
    Calf raises

Lower B
    Deadlift
    Lunge
    Bulgarian split squat
    Nordic ham carls
    Calf raises

cubic25 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tommy4life View Post
    Odd that rdl and squats dont bother you but rows do, especially pendlay...might want to check form. But if you have to, BOR can be swapped for any row and pendlay for any row where elbows arw out and pulling towards the chest.

Would be better to sub leg press for lunge variatiin (walking, reverse, split squat)
    >
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    You were right about RDL and squats. They do bother me.
    I spoke too soon the other week. I tried doing squats the other day and I destroyed my lower back. It seems that any exercise that involves bending at the hip, with weight in front, is out for me. At least until my lower back is fixed and my core strength is up. Even with the correct technique, the risk of injury is too high for me.
    Split squats seem fine, as you seem to be more upright when doing them. Other than that, I'm going to have to sub RDL, pendleys and squats for other exercises.

Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Animal2692 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    How come calves only get 3 sets on lower days for a total of 6 weekly sets on the upper/lower program? Pushing and pulling gets about 12 weekly sets
    Weighted calisthenics>weights anyday. Relative strength>absolute strength

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -Leonardo da Vinci

dlent17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Substitute exercise

Can I sub front squats and just repeat with regular back squats?

Rows Could've Saved Jack Camarija's Avatar
    Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Camarija is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    15 weeks of progress under bastardized Fierce Five: Novice Upper Lower High Frequency Program

Thank you davisj3537 and everyone helping answer questions!

Date
    Week 1
    January 21, 2020
    Week 16
    May 7, 2020

Weight
    193 lbs 172 lbs

Body Fat %
    ~ 25 % ~ 18.04 %

Unflexed Front
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Unflexed Side
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Flexed Front
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

Flexed Side
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler!

*edit*
    Second set of eyes suggests I started at around 23% bodyfat and ended at 13% bodyfat
    Last edited by Camarija; 05-08-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    ► Fierce 5 Novice Upper Lower High Frequency Training Log
    ► https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177960231&p=1606704581&viewfull=1#post1606704581
    ○ 220 lbs / 32% bf / Oct 11, 2019
    ○ 193 lbs / ~23% bf / Jan 21, 2020
    ◘ 171 lbs / ~13% bf / June 3, 2020

chillz88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Substitute for walking lunges

I have been doing the fierce 5 dumbell program for 2 months. The gyms haven't been open in my part of the country. So got a pair of adjustable dumbells and on it. I slowed the progression less than half as prescribed(lesser weights) and on maintenance calories.

My question is if I can substitute walking lunges for alternate front or back lunges? Also I cant do single leg dls(hurts my back). So I do them for DB rdls both legs for 30 reps. Just wanted to let you people know my rdls aren't very maxed out in the program as my other lifts.

Thank you.

air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) air2fakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chillz88 View Post
    My question is if I can substitute walking lunges for alternate front or back lunges?
    You'd lose some balance and coordination benefits, but sure. If you can do walking lunges you might as well do them though.

Originally Posted by chillz88 View Post
    Also I cant do single leg dls(hurts my back). So I do them for DB rdls both legs for 30 reps. Just wanted to let you people know my rdls aren't very maxed out in the program as my other lifts.
    That's fine as long as you understand you're just maintaining if you're doing the same thing week to week. You could also try good mornings and see how they feel.

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    You'd lose some balance and coordination benefits, but sure. If you can do walking lunges you might as well do them though.

That's fine as long as you understand you're just maintaining if you're doing the same thing week to week. You could also try good mornings and see how they feel.
    Thankyou. Doing walking lunges without gym in a small room with little space for 2 months during isolation gets boring and tiring really quick.

Thinking of upping the weight just a bit more and doing front/ back lunges. Might strengthen my walking lunges too when I come back to it. Another option is split squats(without foot elevation? . What are your thoughts on that as a sub for walking lunges? Seems similar. Do these exercises hit similar muscles besides walking lunges needing more core and balance.

gezelligee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am following Dumbbell Workout at home. I don't have a bench. Can I change Floor Press with Push-Ups? I don't feel abs involvement, mostly my front arm is working. I have done bench press, dumbbell press and their incline/decline versions before, so I know how I should feel after workout and I know how to keep a proper form.

I searched the topic and cannot see about this, surprised why never asked tbh.

Originally Posted by gezelligee View Post
    I am following Dumbbell Workout at home. I don't have a bench. Can I change Floor Press with Push-Ups? I don't feel abs involvement, mostly my front arm is working. I have done bench press, dumbbell press and their incline/decline versions before, so I know how I should feel after workout and I know how to keep a proper form.

I searched the topic and cannot see about this, surprised why never asked tbh.
    Same situation at home. Gyms not open yet. I do floor press too. More triceps involvement, but chest does work if you arch and push your chest up and locked while doing the movement.