Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Best Machine or Smith Machine for Squats

Hi. I finally convinced the place I live at to buy some weights for legs. But I need to find them one to buy. As of right now, the only machines they have for legs is a leg extension and leg press.

They can't purchase a free weight rack for squats for some reason dealing with insurance, so it has to either be a machine for squats or smith machine.

-Is a squat machine any better than a smith machine? If not, are there any brands I should look for?
    -Also thinking of buying a calf raise bench. Any point to this if they buy a smith machine?

zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is there an Olympic bar with free weights available? Learn how to do a power clean and do front squats. Or find a better gym.

That would be my recommendation.

Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lamperouge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by zalcrux View Post
    Is there an Olympic bar with free weights available? Learn how to do a power clean and do front squats. Or find a better gym.

That would be my recommendation.
    Part of me liking this gym is that it's where I live, really large, and really convenient for managing work, school, and fitness. I tried a gym, but it's hard to handle all 3 when it's not where you live.

Anyway, the gym is on the rooftop and they have concrete throughout the building. So power cleans and front squats aren't encouraged because if the bar isn't placed on the ground softly, 4-5 floors of residents can hear it.

How about a hybrid option? Maybe a active balance bar? One of the titan machines?

They just want something to stop residents from dropping the bars and something safe (Free-weight bar with stoppers is the limit). There was an injury earlier last year from someone who didn't set a stopper, so they took it out after insurance dealings.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have the Powertec Lever Squat machine.

It's OK for squats, but not as good as barbell back squats.

If I was to start again, I'd probably choose a leg press / hack squat machine instead.

zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50) zalcrux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Lamperouge View Post
    So power cleans and front squats aren't encouraged because if the bar isn't placed on the ground softly, 4-5 floors of residents can hear it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drttm5r66A

RL Erik 'Iwhspr Fe comes' matrix563's Avatar
    matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) matrix563 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had considered what Daniel had but I wanted something better so I got this:

magnum perfect squat 400

expensive new but I've seen them go for 50-120 a lot since I bought mine for 370 lol. well worth it.
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||

~ 5th dimensional being ~

slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50) slimneverdies will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    [QUOTE=daniel327;1266168301]I have the Powertec Lever Squat machine.

I have this and I actually love this machine. To me it's comfortable and depending on my foot placement I get a nice quad/ham burn. Of course it's a supplement to the good ole back squat that I usually do before this machine....
    Long live Slim

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    They can't purchase a free weight rack for squats for some reason dealing with insurance, so it has to either be a machine for squats or smith machine.
    Consider getting a Jones Machine, such as the Hoist PTS-1000. A Jones machine is similar to a Smith in that it allows the attached bar to move up and down, but it also allows motion forward and backward too, which comes a lot closer to the movement allowed in a true free weight squat.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000) dknatural74 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If it has to be a machine, and not free weights....THE HACK SQUAT!! The one where the pads rest on the traps; not the sissy a** one where the pad rests on your upper glute/lower back region. I keep my feet close together and low on the platform, toes pointed slightly out, and go deep. Then drive up using all quads!! Unbelievable machine; amazing results. I often superset barbell squats and this!

FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dknatural74 View Post
    If it has to be a machine, and not free weights....THE HACK SQUAT!! The one where the pads rest on the traps; not the sissy a** one where the pad rests on your upper glute/lower back region. I keep my feet close together and low on the platform, toes pointed slightly out, and go deep. Then drive up using all quads!! Unbelievable machine; amazing results. I often superset barbell squats and this!

X2 - Hack squats are one of the best, if not the best alternative to real squats and are safe... Try to find a commercial quality one such as Icarian, Hammer Strength, Body Masters, etc.

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pit shark.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    -Is a squat machine any better than a smith machine?
    A Smith would offer a lot more options than a dedicated 'squat-type' machine. It could be used not only to work legs, but also shoulders and chest.

Calves can be worked on Smith as well.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    I have the Powertec Lever Squat machine.

It's OK for squats, but not as good as barbell back squats.

If I was to start again, I'd probably choose a leg press / hack squat machine instead.

I was gonna say either one of those. But if they have the $ this is my favorite. It's the only piece I really miss from having a gym membership.

[]---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 21

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    A Smith or Jones machine would give you a lot of options other than just legs. If free weights were out of the question one of these would be the main piece in my gym. If you don't have one in your gym yet you need one.

If it must be a squat machine, you should get this one.

I don't know how good it is for squatting on but it sure would look awesome on a rooftop.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi. I finally convinced the place I live at to buy some weights for legs. But I need to find them one to buy. As of right now, the only machines they have for legs is a leg extension and leg press.
    I see this as being adequate for working your quads. Unless the leg extension doubles as a leg curl, there's nothing for you hamstrings. The glutes and calfs are neglected too. So I would recommend a GHD and seated calf.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    If it must be a squat machine, you should get this (H-Squat) one.

I don't know how good it is for squatting on but it sure would look awesome on a rooftop.
    How do you get into that thing? Does it come with an built-in ladder on the other side? I liked some of the comments on it:

Originally Posted by Random Internet People
    "Who let Rube Goldberg design a leg press machine?"

"This thing looks like Optimus Prime and a Nautilus Rack had an illegitimate child"
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post
    I see this as being adequate for working your quads. Unless the leg extension doubles as a leg curl, there's nothing for you hamstrings. The glutes and calfs are neglected too. So I would recommend a GHD and seated calf.
    Abductors and adductors are ignored as well.
    www.instagram.com/mastodonstrength/

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

-Is a squat machine any better than a smith machine? If not, are there any brands I should look for?
    -Also thinking of buying a calf raise bench. Any point to this if they buy a smith machine?
    Wow! Those are tough constraints.
    You need a good rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Anti-Circumcision Police JonathanRhimes's Avatar
    JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000) JonathanRhimes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There are several belt squat machines available...the old school Simmons model, Power Lift, pit shark...you can also wear a shoulder harness to suspend the movement from the upper body.

Get one of those and call it a day.
    *Equal Protection Clause Advocates Crew*
    *Libertarian Crew*

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    A Smith or Jones machine would give you a lot of options other than just legs. If free weights were out of the question one of these would be the main piece in my gym. If you don't have one in your gym yet you need one.

If it must be a squat machine, you should get this one.

i think there was one at the gym i went to in college. there were a lot of legitimately large dudes lifting heavy weights at this gym. i might have seen 2 people using that thing. it's a monstrosity.

i honestly think i could put this in my basement, cut a hole in the ceiling, load the plates from the basement and walk upstairs to mount the machine and do leg presses...

also is no one going to chastise whoever it was that bumped this old thread? or is that not a thing anymore?
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60