Ironhide0991 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Humerus Fracture - ORIF Surgery, Frustrated

Hello BB people.

I happened to break my humerus 2 months back. Had to undergo an ORIF surgery. I am on physiotherapy now and trying to regain my full ROM.
    I had just started my journey in the fitness world about 2 years back. My journey has been marred by serious injuries 2 times and everytime I looked like I was getting better I was back to square one due to an injury.

Previously I suffere fractures in both my hands, left wrist and right elbow. I started training again after about 1.5 months of the injury and recovered very quickly. I had almost fully recovered when my humerus broke. For the ORIF surgery, the docs cut through my tricep and fixed a plate and 8 screws to keep the bone in place. It has been 2 months of extreme frustration for me. I was in my best shape ever and now I am facing a setback. Its so hard to just sit at home and not be able to go to the gym or do any kind of activities that include your arms for that matter.

I want to know if anybody has had any such experience, specifically humerus-related, and how have you handled it.
    I am highly demotivated right now. I have gained a hell lot of weight and my muscles have deflated. Thinking about the time it will take to get back to where I was before breaking the humerus frustrates me.

Just a few questions I would like to ask-
    - How long did it take you to get rid of the elbow stiffness and straighten your arm?
    - After how many months of your surgery did you start training heavy again?
    - How long did it take you to get back to the shape you were in before the injury?

Need a lot of motivation to get back to where I was.
    Last edited by Ironhide0991; 07-04-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Baptised in Fire and Ice DoogShnooglis's Avatar
    DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Eesh, that looks gnarly. I've never broken an arm, but once when I busted a rib, it meant I couldn't really do most things, because basically everything puts pressure on the ribcage. You have definitely a more ass-kicking injury, but you should at least be able to get a lot done. For one thing, you can do some cardio for a while to help cut down some fat you want to lose anyway. You can also do plenty of different leg and ab exercises, back extensions - stuff like that. Keep in mind that any muscle you built before the break is already built. It's not like it's disappearing; It's just sort of deflating. It'll pump back up pretty quickly after you get back to normal exercise. For now, getting back in to get re-acclimated to the gym with some cardio and lower body stuff will get your blood pumping to help speed your recovery along. Injuries happen, but as long as it's eventually gonna heal, it's nothing but a temporary speed bump.
    I'm a carnal, organic anagram / Human flesh instead of written letters / I rearrange my pathetic tissue / I incise, I replace, I'm reformed / I eradicate the fake pre-present me / Elevate me to a higher human form / The characters I am, made into a word complete / Then I'll be the new norm

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Originally Posted by DoogShnooglis View Post
    Eesh, that looks gnarly. I've never broken an arm, but once when I busted a rib, it meant I couldn't really do most things, because basically everything puts pressure on the ribcage. You have definitely a more ass-kicking injury, but you should at least be able to get a lot done. For one thing, you can do some cardio for a while to help cut down some fat you want to lose anyway. You can also do plenty of different leg and ab exercises, back extensions - stuff like that. Keep in mind that any muscle you built before the break is already built. It's not like it's disappearing; It's just sort of deflating. It'll pump back up pretty quickly after you get back to normal exercise. For now, getting back in to get re-acclimated to the gym with some cardio and lower body stuff will get your blood pumping to help speed your recovery along. Injuries happen, but as long as it's eventually gonna heal, it's nothing but a temporary speed bump.
    Hey, how's the rib doing now?
    Yea currently that's the way I am going to go. Will be starting with the cardio in a few weeks to get rid of the fat. Then I will concentrate on my lower body, and start light exercises with the upper-body and slowly build up from there. Guess I should start doing heavy in about 7-8 months.
    My only fear right now is the ROM, whether I will get full ROM back or not.
    Also, my plate and screws will be removed after 1.5-2 years. So maybe after that I can really start pushing myself.

Anybody has experience with plate-screw removal?

DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DoogShnooglis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Rib's fine now. That was a some years ago. You'll definitely get full range of motion back. You just might have to put work into making it happen. Anywhere they made a cut and anywhere that spends a long while immobilized can wind up being tighter. But that just means you need stretches to get back to where you need to be. You should be solid soon enough. And now you have a spot you'll never break again. Woo!
    I'm a carnal, organic anagram / Human flesh instead of written letters / I rearrange my pathetic tissue / I incise, I replace, I'm reformed / I eradicate the fake pre-present me / Elevate me to a higher human form / The characters I am, made into a word complete / Then I'll be the new norm

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Originally Posted by DoogShnooglis View Post
    Rib's fine now. That was a some years ago. You'll definitely get full range of motion back. You just might have to put work into making it happen. Anywhere they made a cut and anywhere that spends a long while immobilized can wind up being tighter. But that just means you need stretches to get back to where you need to be. You should be solid soon enough. And now you have a spot you'll never break again. Woo!
    Yes, I am working on the stretches. But it's damn painful.
    Never break again?
    You mean my humerus will be stronger than ever in that part?

Yeah, when a broken bone rebuilds, it comes back stronger. Over time, it can even out to an extent, but you're also lifting, and weight lifting is one of the best ways to do bone training. If you've ever seen like karate guys punching the hell out of makiwara boards or muay thai dudes kicking the **** out of palm trees, they're doing the same thing. As you keep putting stress on the bones with your lifts, over time, they'll keep getting denser and stronger, and you'll be less and less likely to ever break any of those bones again.

Daniel0823 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello, now i have the same situation in my humerus With 8 screws; i want to know it you go back to the gym and how go or went your recovery.

Registered User Aditya1lukalapu's Avatar
    Aditya1lukalapu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I 've broken my humerus ( compound fracture ) and also multiple fractures to my ankle.(3 hairline fractures ) on 24/6/15(motor vehicle accident) . I was in the best shape of my life pre injuries . Now there are 2 plates and 14 nails in my left humerus I've been through orif . I started walking with the cast post 3 days . And normally post 10 days and coming to the humerus , my shoulder was frozen so as the bicep and forearm I've been through physio therapy post 45 days the surgery for 5 days . It is one hell of a torture . Through out the physio I was on ice packs now post 5 days the physio I started lifting very less weight like say it 5pounds post physio day 1 . Now today by day 5 I'm lifting 20 pounds with my broken hand ,I worked out my biceps , traps and thighs and actually the stitches(63) that were put on my hand got finally stretched along with the skinand and I felt relaxed . I was de - motivated post accident and started loosing all the gains as I was on a heavy medication like 12 pills a a day . I am planning to hit the gym on September 1st week ie 65 days post surgery and planning to do a low weight - high rep workout . With a high protein diet as this is off season . Btw I'm 6"3 and 79 kg post surgery and now 74.1 kg . Have a speedy recovery .

ralle12345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Same situation

I broke my humerus doing arm wrestling.
    I was on until the surgery. And off gear after for a while. I got a fat embolism during the surgery and was for 7 days in a coma. Only on day 5 they startet feeding me through the nose. So i lost a lot of gains etc. i did get depressed a little in the hospital when i looked i the mirror but this just motivated me more to train again. I just focused a lot on what i can train good and didn’t care if my broken arm didn’t do gains. Better have 1 big arm than than 2 small arms. This is now 3 months ago an my orthopedic said it 2 more months i can bench press whatever i want. I do now only machines for chest and back.
    Hgh Whould support healing as well.

nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000) nitefeatherz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ralle12345 View Post
    I broke my humerus doing arm wrestling.
    I was on until the surgery. And off gear after for a while. I got a fat embolism during the surgery and was for 7 days in a coma. Only on day 5 they startet feeding me through the nose. So i lost a lot of gains etc. i did get depressed a little in the hospital when i looked i the mirror but this just motivated me more to train again. I just focused a lot on what i can train good and didn’t care if my broken arm didn’t do gains. Better have 1 big arm than than 2 small arms. This is now 3 months ago an my orthopedic said it 2 more months i can bench press whatever i want. I do now only machines for chest and back.
    Hgh Whould support healing as well.
    You're bumping a really old thread...they likely aren't around to answer anymore.
    "We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot." Eleanor Roosevelt