hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why don't I grow like I did when I was in my 20s?

I am serious! I am having a really hard time being patient. On my current program I think I will be back where I was in my 20s by November. I had a slightly better foundation then but I wasn't lifting legs or back at all and I had incredible chest and bicep growth in 2.5 months doing no compound work except for bench press. I am soo tempted to try and ramp the weight up faster but I have a lot more aches and pains and recover slower than I did back in college so I fear I will injure myself. Thanks for your amen or opinion otherwise in advance!

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by hpfiend View Post
    I am serious! I am having a really hard time being patient. On my current program I think I will be back where I was in my 20s by November. I had a slightly better foundation then but I wasn't lifting legs or back at all and I had incredible chest and bicep growth in 2.5 months doing no compound work except for bench press. I am soo tempted to try and ramp the weight up faster but I have a lot more aches and pains and recover slower than I did back in college so I fear I will injure myself. Thanks for your amen or opinion otherwise in advance!
    From your AV it looks like you never grew even in your 20. Stop blaming age and stay consistent in the gym. Your lack if training, not your age, is holding you back.
    On the list for Bannukah

tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First, you're still in a prime period. It wasn't exactly because you were in your 20s. It was because of the novice gains that people get when they start doing lifts. We all get it, even those of us who started after 35. After your novice gains end then your body levels off.

Working out and gaining muscle is a formula, but it's not exact. People say it's 10% workout and 90% diet. If you are not making gains then your diet is the likely culprit whether it be timing of food intake or overall macros in your diet.

Apply yourself and use the wealth of knowledge on the internet and you will be fine and make nice gains.

I did the same as you and stopped until I was 40. At 40 I weighed 320lb. Today, almost 3 years later, I weigh 295lb. I have lost a large amount of fat and put on a large amount of muscle. I'm not an asthetic on dieting so I'll never really worry much about my weight but I get asked a lot now if I'm a bodybuilder. That never happened before. I stuck with it and ate to grow and good things happened. That's what you should do if you're serious. Eat to grow, workout to break down muscle tissue, and the growth will come.
    Instagram: tomnationwide
    Twitter: @tomnationwide

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    but I have a lot more aches and pains and recover slower than I did back in college so I fear I will injure myself.
    Sounds like you either aren't resting enough or aren't getting enough protein. (Or it's still your first week of training when everyone gets DOMS). I'm 5 years older than you and work out 6 days a week on a cut, but I don't really have a lot of aches and pains.
    May 3 - 183 ; May 10 - 181; May 17 - 181; May 24 - 181; May 30 - 178.5 ; Jun 7 - 176.5; Jun 14 - 174.5; Jun 20 - 173;
    Jun 28 - 172.5; July 5th - 171; July 12th - 171; July 19 - 170;

hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hpfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies everyone! No I was never a monster like some of you but I was 142 lbs benched 205 1RM and and curled 40 lb dumbells 10RM. For me I was jacked I have been doing Allpro workout since February and while I haven't stalled yet and my upper back is bigger than it ever has been, my chest growth is a lot slower than the 3x3 lifting I was doing in my 20s. I am not getting DOMS pains- mainly joint and tendon stiffness/inflammation. I did mark Rippetoe's starting strength with more rapid weight addition and it was too fast and I got injured, all pro seems a little too slow at 10% every 5 weeks.

I have been eating more or less every 2 hours with as much protein as I can but I don't know if I am getting enough. I sleep about 7 hours a night -id like more but my kids get up at 630 and I need to get up at 5 to have time to fit a workout in without distraction. I go to bed at 10.

Thanks!
    Last edited by hpfiend; 06-27-2014 at 08:19 AM.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Thanks for the replies everyone! No I was never a monster like some of you but I was 142 lbs benched 205 1RM and and curled 40 lb dumbells 10RM. For me I was jacked I have been doing Allpro workout since February and while I haven't stalled yet and my upper back is bigger than it ever has been, my chest growth is a lot slower than the 3x3 lifting I was doing in my 20s. I am not getting DOMS pains-

I have been eating more or less every 2 hours with as much protein as I can but I don't know if I am getting enough.

Thanks!
    How many calories per day are you eating, and how many grams of protein and fat each day?

And at that level of intake, how much weight have you gained in the last 4 weeks?
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for the replies everyone! No I was never a monster like some of you but I was 142 lbs benched 205 1RM and and curled 40 lb dumbells 10RM. For me I was jacked I have been doing Allpro workout since February and while I haven't stalled yet and my upper back is bigger than it ever has been, my chest growth is a lot slower than the 3x3 lifting I was doing in my 20s. I am not getting DOMS pains- mainly joint and tendon stiffness/inflammation. I did mark Rippetoe's starting strength with more rapid weight addition and it was too fast and I got injured, all pro seems a little too slow at 10% every 5 weeks.

I have been eating more or less every 2 hours with as much protein as I can but I don't know if I am getting enough. I sleep about 7 hours a night -id like more but my kids get up at 630 and I need to get up at 5 to have time to fit a workout in without distraction. I go to bed at 10.

Thanks!
    At your weight you should be getting at least 100g of protein daily, 125g would be optimal and about 50g of Fat.

How often you eat really makes no difference at all. Calorie timing really doesn't have any effect. What does make a difference is how much you eat... Period. You should be eating over maintenance on a daily basis.

Based on your body weight, height, age and working out 3x / week, your TDEE is about 1973 Calories. You should be eating at least 10% above that for a lean bulk and 15-20% above if you want to get aggressive.

Having trouble getting the calories in? Drink Milk...
    ()---() York Barbell Club #26 ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #34 ||---||
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #74 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #10 ──<//>─<\\>──

Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150771833

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DuracellBunny has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks!
    So let me get this right, you are doing a different programme to the one you did in your 20's and are seeing different results and your first conclusion is that it's due to your different age and not the different programme...............
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Milk and peanut butter is about all I am eating every 2 hours in addition to a after workout protein shake 3 days a week on top of carb cereal with milk and berries for breakfast, Pb sandwhich for lunch and chicken and beans for dinner. I will start tracking and see where I am at. The only reason I don't do the 3x3 any more is ,though I do have a power rack, I work out alone these days instead of having a big workout buddy to force me beyond failure. I also was playing around just trying to lift as much weight as possible back then- no legs, no compound lifts, no real program - I figured I would have better results with all pro

Thanks for the replies I am sensing I should stop talking now.
    Last edited by hpfiend; 06-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.

brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000) brucedelaney is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Milk and peanut butter is about all I am eating every 2 hours in addition to a after workout protein shake 3 days a week on top of carb cereal with milk and berries for breakfast, Pb sandwhich for lunch and chicken and beans for dinner. I will start tracking and see where I am at. The only reason I don't do the 3x3 any more is ,though I do have a power rack, I work out alone these days instead of having a big workout buddy to force me beyond failure. I also was playing around just trying to lift as much weight as possible back then- no legs, no compound lifts, no real program - I figured I would have better results with all pro

What I've bolded is probably the most important step in starting to figure this out.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #26 ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #34 ||---||
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #74 []---[]
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #10 ──<//>─<\\>──

Workout Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150771833

Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dr0Scott will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was at my best between 34-36, so whilst training in your 20's can be beneficial because of your natural hormone levels - better training, diet and rest can make up for it when you are older.

In any case, you are where you are. Use what you have and make the most of it - any one can have a much better physique with hard work and a decent plan of action.

Go for it, and good luck!
    "It's just a matter of time"

ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well - your diet sucks (go back and read the nutritional stickies), and in all likelihood your intensity is probably right there along with 98% of everyone else in the gym...the 98% that never change. Don't feel bad - these are the most common issues amongst people failing to move forward. You're in good company...but if you want different you have to do different.
    http://www.buffleheadprod.com
    Life begins underwater

- 25 July 1972 Cata-pole barred from competition because it contains carbon fibers.

"Those who assume hypotheses as first principles of their speculations...may indeed form an ingenious romance, but a romance it will still be." Roger Cotes - preface to Newton's Principia Mathematica 2nd ed 1713

Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tmax55 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I get joint pains if I don't get enough fat in my diet...yes fat!
    Its not enough!

BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000) BLK00TJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've made more progress in shorter time in my 40s than I ever did in my 20s. I took 15 years off and came back to lifting last year. I am almost back to where I was in my 20s in less than a year and at a lighter weight. Most of my year was spent cutting from all the fat gain (40lbs). I expect that within the next 6 months to a year I'll surpass my 20s numbers.

CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000) CropDusterMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    About the only thing I do better now than in my twenties is make money and better decisions! ;o)
    "Common sense is not so common".

GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50) GasHed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ScubaDave View Post
    Well - your diet sucks (go back and read the nutritional stickies), and in all likelihood your intensity is probably right there along with 98% of everyone else in the gym...the 98% that never change. Don't feel bad - these are the most common issues amongst people failing to move forward. You're in good company...but if you want different you have to do different.
    What's a good definition for intensity? Going to failure? Supersets? Short rest time?

tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomnationwide is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GasHed View Post
    What's a good definition for intensity? Going to failure? Supersets? Short rest time?
    Intensity is a high level of strength. The kind he's talking about is MENTAL so that it leads to PHYSICAL.
    Instagram: tomnationwide
    Twitter: @tomnationwide

Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Old-Time-Lifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Carrying more muscle now as I close in on 55 than ever before.

OP stop yer whining and lift heavier things...

ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ScubaDave is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GasHed View Post
    GasHed - I measure intensity by my level of focus, the degree to which I'm applying myself on each and every lift, my level of exhaustion at the conclusion of the workout. I generally take the later sets of each exercise to failure. But that's really pushing the mind over muscle in the later sets - sometimes with spotter assistance. Watch people that are in the gym to train and train hard. Pattern your efforts after theirs. Intensity is hard to define, but you know it when you see it. The one thing I do know is the intensity level of 99% of the people in the gym is laughable - they're there to say they went to the gym, not to train. Good luck!!
    Life begins underwater

- 25 July 1972 Cata-pole barred from competition because it contains carbon fibers.

"Those who assume hypotheses as first principles of their speculations...may indeed form an ingenious romance, but a romance it will still be." Roger Cotes - preface to Newton's Principia Mathematica 2nd ed 1713

Originally Posted by tomnationwide View Post
    Intensity is a high level of strength. The kind he's talking about is MENTAL so that it leads to PHYSICAL.
    OP - tomnationwide said it much more succinctly than I did.
    Life begins underwater

mikegyver has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The main difference I can see now vs in my 20s is I could work out longer back then but I often over trained. I didn't workout properly in my 20s and wasn't consistent enough until 35 and the past 5 years have been nice gains.

MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MyBBing2pointO has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

???
    imho your peanut butter diet is weird.
    I am cranking down protein powder 4x a day and eating 4 protein rich meals a day.
    You should grow fast due to muscle memory....I'd research diet....I think that is where your problem lies.