inpain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sternoclavicular joint :(

Day before yesterday I was doing the lever one arm press for shoulders, I hadnt loaded the barbell too heavy ( 30 kgs). I didnt have any problems while I was executing the movement, however while keeping the barbell down, I experienced a burning surge in my collar bone towards the sternoclavicular joint. I immediately stopped and checked the area of trauma. The bone has jutted out slightly, there is mild pain if i press that area, but no instability and i still have complete range of motion. However there is slight pain when i try to take my hand over my head.
    Please advise, its been three days, I have stopped all workouts, its maddening.

Update:

I was at the doc, had my x ray taken. The doc says there is no dislocation or any damage to the bone in the xray.
    But the bone is still jutting out, and i do feel mild pain when i press the affected area.
    Last edited by inpain; 06-25-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Why are there no replies or advices of any kind??????

000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10) 000new000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Advice: Don't do anything that puts your arm over your head.
    Do everything that doesn't hurt it.
    Ask yourself if theres some reason you don't want to workout that you are using that to cover for.

cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by inpain View Post
    Day before yesterday I was doing the lever one arm press for shoulders, I hadnt loaded the barbell too heavy ( 30 kgs). I didnt have any problems while I was executing the movement, however while keeping the barbell down, I experienced a burning surge in my collar bone towards the sternoclavicular joint. I immediately stopped and checked the area of trauma. The bone has jutted out slightly, there is mild pain if i press that area, but no instability and i still have complete range of motion. However there is slight pain when i try to take my hand over my head.
    Please advise, its been three days, I have stopped all workouts, its maddening.

Update:

I was at the doc, had my x ray taken. The doc says there is no dislocation or any damage to the bone in the xray.
    But the bone is still jutting out, and i do feel mild pain when i press the affected area.

From my experience, my SCJ injuries takes a while to heal. I've had three of them. First one took about 3 months, the second one took about 6 months, and the third one took three weeks. One thing I did differently with my last one was I didn't workout on it. The first two I didn't want to lose any gains, tried to work out on it, and ended up making it so much worse.

Something else that I think that helped was sleeping on about four pillows to help prop up my back. I noticed that when I woke up in the mornings was when it hurt the most. I contributed that to the way I was sleeping. I think when I sleep, my shoulders tend to be arched back a bit, putting constant strain on my SCJ all night. Sleeping at about a 140 degree angle helped relieve that.

Now I just need to find out why I have so many injuries there. The last one flared up out of nowhere. It was my week off from the gym. Maybe tight chest, back, or trap muscles is causing it. Anyone have any idea?

What sort of exercises did you avoid ? Are there any protective pads or something available to support the joint during workouts?

cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbates79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What sort of exercises did you avoid ? Are there any protective pads or something available to support the joint during workouts?
    I would highly recommend just taking some time off to allow it to heal. These injuries can last a while if you make it worse. If you absolutely can't do that, then these are the exercises I would avoid:
    Any kind of chest exercises (especially Flys)
    Any kind of shoulder exercises
    Shrugs
    Dips
    Any kind of back exercise that causes you to have to reach above your head (pull ups, lat pull downs)
    Traditional back squats as this an cause your shoulder blades to be held in a retracted position, putting stress on your SCJ.
    Possibly deadlifts. This never really bothered mine, but I also don't use a lot of weight. For someone that does, it could put a lot of stress on the SCJ while holding that much weight.

Thanks a lot for your reply mate, I havent been working out at all since the time it happened. However I did go for small run yesterday (9.5km). Sadly it is very depressing for me to be static, I use exercise as an anti depressant. Being ex military, I do have my demons that i fight on a day to day basis. And exercising helped me a lot with it. 3 years back I was in a similar cluster**** situation, i met with an accident and was incapacitated for 4 months, not being able to move drove me sheer nuts and I ended up seeing the wrong end of the bottle( drinking everyday )
    I dont want to end up on the same road again.
    Most of my workout is hybrid, cardio (sprints, runs,ruck runs light weight, bag training ) mixed with body weight exercises ( rope climbs, variations of pull ups, handstand pushups, calisthenics) and weight training (push presses, dead lifts, bench press ( not heavy), weighted dips, weighted pull ups) so i am pretty much ****ed with this injury.

I did go to the gym today (couldnt help it) worked out bis and tris, and tested what are the comfortable and uncomfortable movements and exercises, as you said i will be totally avoiding all pushing exercises, (tried a bit of pushups, no pain but uncomfortable). I was tempted to try the pullups and the ropeclimb which i did sucessfully without encountering any pain or uncomfortable movement. While executing pull ups i noticed if i control the ROM i dont feel anything in the area of trauma. I am competing in an event on the 6th of september, its on the same lines as the tough mudder but not as tough :P.
    Last edited by inpain; 06-28-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: gramatical **** ups and additions :P

UPDATE:

I have totally avoided all pushing movement excercises, push ups, bench presses, shoulder press, dips etc. But I have been indulging in pull ups, rope climbs, cardio, heavy bag. I havent felt any discomfort or stretch in that particular trauma. The joint still looks a bit out but it doesnt have the sensitivity, soreness and the mild weird pain I experienced the whole week. I have a follow up with a doctor and an osteopath on the 8th of July. But I think I will take it easy with the above mentioned pushing exercises for some time just to be sure.

Its been a bit more than two weeks, the pain has almost completely subsided. I dont feel any stiffness to the joint nor any kind of pressure.
    I still am avoiding major pushing movements all together, however the bone still jutts out as it did on day one of the injury. However unlike day one, there is no soreness and sensitivity. The osteopath has said it was a mild sprain. I would like to know, in the event of a mild sprain to the sc joint , will the bone jutt out forever, even if there is no pain or instability. I dont care about the cosmetic aspect, my fear is will it reoccur.

bump

Update

First day: Completed push presses with complete ROM without pain or any discomfort. But will take it easy.
    For people who are suffering from this its best to completely avoid all pushing movements and some pulling moving movements ( provided you do it with controlled rom). The most difficult part for me was not working out, but there is no other way.

fuckeverything has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi all

if any of u are experiencing pain/instability/popping of the collarbone in the area look into prolotherapy..it has worked for many who have this problem as well as many other injuries

also stay away from any movements that cause bad pain, have caused bad pain, cause things to pop out of place/have done so

goldyahmed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its been a bit more than two weeks, the pain has almost completely subsided. I dont feel any stiffness to the joint nor any kind of pressure.
    I still am avoiding major pushing movements all together, however the bone still jutts out as it did on day one of the injury. However unlike day one, there is no soreness and sensitivity. The osteopath has said it was a mild sprain. I would like to know, in the event of a mild sprain to the sc joint , will the bone jutt out forever, even if there is no pain or instability. I dont care about the cosmetic aspect, my fear is will it reoccur.
    what about your Bone jutt,its gone or still there?because I am also facing same problem