aberg225 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wanting to quit my new job already.

Hey guys just started my first trainer job, at first I like it but now I hate it. I like training people but I only getting paid on 40% sales commission I'm expected to get my own clients which is fine I've already made two sales out of 10 consults but 2 clients dropped out on me. This one guy I was training I was doing good with and he wanted to gain mass which he was, but he wasn't on a package and was only doing our 3 session special. He said money was tight so he might come back in the fall.

This other girl in her early 20's I messed up on, she enjoyed working with me at first then I put her through some harder workouts. Nothing extreme just basic things like DB flat bench, walking lunges, Lat pull down, abs. She was only on one workout a week package so she had DOMS a couple days after our workouts, She told my manager that she didn't want to train with me anymore and quit. If she would of told me she wanted to scale it down I would of had her do more bodyweight exercises if she told me. Then I got pulled into my managers office yesterday and she chewed me out for the client complaining to her and I didn't get any members through the door when I did prospecting (except the consults I did) because they just got bought by new owners last January and they remodeled the whole gym but the old owners and manager chased a lot of members out the door and pissed a lot of people off. So she told me that they are interviewing more personal trainers because they need to get more members through the door as if I have any control over how the old members feel about them.

When I interviewed with them they told me they had about 18 clients to hand me but she kept a couple and about 3 of them aren't training right now. So I got handed about 12 but all of them are on one workout a week packages so I'm only doing like 8 sessions a week and most of my clients cancel frequently so my paycheck is less than $200. So I initially thought that I going to be doing at least 20 sessions a week but I never asked what packages people are on so I was mislead. If I knew how much I would be getting paid I never would of took the job, I'm currently looking to get a job closer to my house at a different gym because I'm driving about 60 miles there and back everyday and some days I'm working 8+ hours and I don't make a dime. I feel like I'm spending all the money I make on gas to get down there and there is too much bad energy there and I need a fresh start. I'm an A-hole for quitting this early but I made more money at my last job working at a liquor store and I feel like I worked too hard for my certification (NASM) to be treated like this.

TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TypeNirvash has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not a PT, but a fancy certification doesn't entitle you to anything. There are a ton of people with certifications (and many with much more than you) who are willing to do your job for less. What separates you from them?

As a former salesman, though, I can tell you that the only thing preventing you from making money at this job is yourself. As a PT, your job is to sell YOURSELF. It sounds like you're incredibly negative that you got handed 12 clients that don't always show up. Big deal. That's $200 in your pocket that you otherwise wouldn't have had. And on top of that, they were kind enough to just give them to you.

I know a lot of PT's that have to make business for themselves, and a good portion of that starts outside of the gym. It doesn't sound like the gym is the problem here, it sounds like your negativity is causing your business to dwindle. If you want to make that certification mean something, then start by improving your client base.

Real men make great things out of bad circumstances. Will you?

Originally Posted by TypeNirvash View Post
    Not a PT, but a fancy certification doesn't entitle you to anything. There are a ton of people with certifications (and many with much more than you) who are willing to do your job for less. What separates you from them?

As a former salesman, though, I can tell you that the only thing preventing you from making money at this job is yourself. As a PT, your job is to sell YOURSELF. It sounds like you're incredibly negative that you got handed 12 clients that don't always show up. Big deal. That's $200 in your pocket that you otherwise wouldn't have had. And on top of that, they were kind enough to just give them to you.

I know a lot of PT's that have to make business for themselves, and a good portion of that starts outside of the gym. It doesn't sound like the gym is the problem here, it sounds like your negativity is causing your business to dwindle. If you want to make that certification mean something, then start by improving your client base.

Real men make great things out of bad circumstances. Will you?

I agree, I knew the pay wouldn't be good starting out but $200 a check? I've already made two sales out of ten people so I'm making progress but what am I supposed to do when I get chewed out and threatened to get fired for not getting members in the door when they're the ones who chased them out, whatever they did to piss them off is on them I can't say anything to make them change the way they feel about us. Yeah I'm glad they handed me 12 clients, I've been optimistic since I started there but when I'm getting chewed out and threatened to get fired over something I have no control over I'm not too enthusiastic, I literally have to sell half of my stuff every week just to buy gas to drive down there, I was in way over my head to be honest.

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by aberg225 View Post
    Hey guys just started my first trainer job, at first I like it but now I hate it. I like training people but I only getting paid on 40% sales commission I'm expected to get my own clients which is fine I've already made two sales out of 10 consults but 2 clients dropped out on me. This one guy I was training I was doing good with and he wanted to gain mass which he was, but he wasn't on a package and was only doing our 3 session special. He said money was tight so he might come back in the fall.

This other girl in her early 20's I messed up on, she enjoyed working with me at first then I put her through some harder workouts. Nothing extreme just basic things like DB flat bench, walking lunges, Lat pull down, abs. She was only on one workout a week package so she had DOMS a couple days after our workouts, She told my manager that she didn't want to train with me anymore and quit. If she would of told me she wanted to scale it down I would of had her do more bodyweight exercises if she told me. Then I got pulled into my managers office yesterday and she chewed me out for the client complaining to her and I didn't get any members through the door when I did prospecting (except the consults I did) because they just got bought by new owners last January and they remodeled the whole gym but the old owners and manager chased a lot of members out the door and pissed a lot of people off. So she told me that they are interviewing more personal trainers because they need to get more members through the door as if I have any control over how the old members feel about them.

When I interviewed with them they told me they had about 18 clients to hand me but she kept a couple and about 3 of them aren't training right now. So I got handed about 12 but all of them are on one workout a week packages so I'm only doing like 8 sessions a week and most of my clients cancel frequently so my paycheck is less than $200. So I initially thought that I going to be doing at least 20 sessions a week but I never asked what packages people are on so I was mislead. If I knew how much I would be getting paid I never would of took the job, I'm currently looking to get a job closer to my house at a different gym because I'm driving about 60 miles there and back everyday and some days I'm working 8+ hours and I don't make a dime. I feel like I'm spending all the money I make on gas to get down there and there is too much bad energy there and I need a fresh start. I'm an A-hole for quitting this early but I made more money at my last job working at a liquor store and I feel like I worked too hard for my certification (NASM) to be treated like this.
    Everything depends on what your life situation is, whether to quit or not. I would recommend that you use a gym trainer job for what it's worth, and what it's worth is an opportunity to network. If need be, stick with the "job" until you find the right connections whether they be clients or other trainers to allow you to progress to another training gig in a better, hopefully independent gym or even something outside the realm of fitness. About the first lady who you trained into oblivion, you CAN NEVER train clients like YOU want to train, unless they are exactly like you. You need to be more attentive to their individual needs and through experience you will learn to tell which clients you need to spoon-feed, which clients you need to try to take it easy on and which clients you need to virtually assassinate in the gym.
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What you and your fitness manager are going through is normal. You will start slow in this business because very few people are prepared to reach their fitness goals. I think a trainer in a previous post said something about screening. In the USA few chain gyms screen because personal training is seen as a secondary income source after merchandise and supplements. Also you are training during the off season so do not expect many people to be interested in training/working out.

Before I went into business for myself, I sold 30 different clients. Few were sensible/wealthy/disciplined enough to become long term clients. One session a week tells you that they are not really serious about training. Also, you are not goal setting well enough with your clients. The fitness manager and other gym leadership don't treat personal training as it should be. They tell you things like "give them a great workout etc..." But in reality, clients need to know how and when they are going to make a specific and change in their fitness. Sadly chain gyms don't do this, and folks like you lose all passion to train.

I recommend you go back in there and qualify your clients. Also, look at it as a numbers game. Maybe 5-10 out of 30 are going to be good clients. NASM also doesn't prepare trainers for sales very well. Focus on getting in front of as many folks as you can and keep selling.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

ProfHotTub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProfHotTub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProfHotTub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProfHotTub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProfHotTub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProfHotTub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProfHotTub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Welcome to the training world! Everyone working in the industry will have had a taste of what you're going through. Honestly just think of it as a learning opportunity. I will sympathize with you and say that yes some clubs/markets are straight up horrible environments. Meaning that you got a sales manager on your A$$ all day everyday, low income market who simply can't afford it, and big obstacles to cross to actually make a living. You have to realize that hopping in a club and making money training is extremely rare other than working for a mobile home training company that can immediately pimp you out to train clients and maybe some clubs that have an established sales team that sells for you. I've seen many small private clubs that pay an awesome split for new hires like 50% (about $40-$50hr) and just feed you clients, but that's their only taking veteran qualified trainers. Even then it will take months to build up clientele.

I feel for you but what Nirvish said is true. My advice it to train part time and then once things start to pick up where you can survive month to month then jump in full. Above all find the right club/business where you are happy with management and enjoy being there. You'll never be successful if you hate your place of work.
    PhD Kinesiology
    NSCA-CSCS
    ACSM-CPT
    NASM-CPT

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good advice above you need to sell yourself.
    If you do and your client likes you word of mouth will get you new clients.
    Remember some people are just plain cheap and think a once a week or three session trial will get them going.
    This is where you have to sell yourself.
    Its not always going to happen but you should still make a good impression and wish them well.
    You never know down the road they may come back your way after trying someone else or just thinking they had some good sessions with you. Don't take it personal as this is the training business.
    You really start to make a better income when you have your own clients not connected with a gym other than using their facility.
    This takes time to build up.
    You have to start somewhere so stick with it.
    You may have to get another part time job to make ends meet right now.

Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jmice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree, I knew the pay wouldn't be good starting out but $200 a check? I've already made two sales out of ten people so I'm making progress but what am I supposed to do when I get chewed out and threatened to get fired for not getting members in the door when they're the ones who chased them out, whatever they did to piss them off is on them I can't say anything to make them change the way they feel about us. Yeah I'm glad they handed me 12 clients, I've been optimistic since I started there but when I'm getting chewed out and threatened to get fired over something I have no control over I'm not too enthusiastic, I literally have to sell half of my stuff every week just to buy gas to drive down there, I was in way over my head to be honest.
    It's up to you as a trainer to sit down these 1x/ week clients And explain why that approach will not work. Upsell them turn them into long term clients. EARN the right to their business. You are the professional in this instance if you are good they will listen.

There are tons of new clients everywhere don't assume people know about your gyms past problem,.if they do tell them WHY you guys are new and improved best of all tell them they now have YOU.

I have a job that ds very similar to yours and I am booked everyday and my pay checks are double what I used to make selling cars for a lucrative automaker and I love my job .I can honestly tell what is holding you back is your attitude. You worked hard for your cert but if you quit now, what are you really saying?

This is your first pt gig, make it work or risk starting a negative chain of half assedness
    BCRPA /Ace certified : Personal trainer /Weight trainer /55+ third age /Group fitness

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Good advice above you need to sell yourself.
    If you do and your client likes you word of mouth will get you new clients.
    Remember some people are just plain cheap and think a once a week or three session trial will get them going.
    This is where you have to sell yourself.
    Its not always going to happen but you should still make a good impression and wish them well.
    You never know down the road they may come back your way after trying someone else or just thinking they had some good sessions with you. Don't take it personal as this is the training business.
    You really start to make a better income when you have your own clients not connected with a gym other than using their facility.
    This takes time to build up.
    You have to start somewhere so stick with it.
    You may have to get another part time job to make ends meet right now.
    I can't though that's the problem, I thought I was the contractor and I come in whenever I want but they want me here 10 AM-7PM Monday - Friday and when I'm not training people I'm prospecting on the phones and trying to get more members in the door. That's why its killing me because I'm driving down here everyday to do get paid for one session, so my entire check is going to gas, most of the gyms close too my house are corporate gyms and the trainers only train and they have selling managers and get base pay.

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    I can't though that's the problem, I thought I was the contractor and I come in whenever I want but they want me here 10 AM-7PM Monday - Friday and when I'm not training people I'm prospecting on the phones and trying to get more members in the door. That's why its killing me because I'm driving down here everyday to do get paid for one session, so my entire check is going to gas, most of the gyms close too my house are corporate gyms and the trainers only train and they have selling managers and get base pay.
    I've been in your situation before. I worked for a gym that talked a big game about creating a culture of fitness, taking really good care of clients, achieving goals and promoting wellness... but they were absolutely, 100% interested in revenue only. They hired too many trainers, threw them into hard-sell "consultations" with randomly chosen clients, and made no effort to promote success on either side. What you're saying sounds familiar.

This thread has a lot of truly gross pseudo-motivational cliches - be positive, earn the sale, sell yourself, etc - but let me tell you, after sitting through monthly "sales meetings" in which we "committed" to signing up X number of new gym members and PT clients, you start to notice that these lines are hollow, useless and played endlessly on repeat. They're used to make you feel like a lack of success is your own fault rather than that of the environment that someone else created and you are now trying to work within.

With that being said, my advice to you is run, don't walk. This gym pretty clearly doesn't care about anything but the sales that you might bring in, and it's not worth the stress and self-doubt that they'll heap upon you if you don't compromise your fitness-training goals to focus on your cold calling and pushy sales tactics. There are great fitness facilities (especially niche) with tight-knit groups of friendly, experienced trainers who are paid really well and produce great results for their clients - I know because I found one for myself. Keep looking! Good luck.

Originally Posted by lexinak View Post
    I've been in your situation before. I worked for a gym that talked a big game about creating a culture of fitness, taking really good care of clients, achieving goals and promoting wellness... but they were absolutely, 100% interested in revenue only. They hired too many trainers, threw them into hard-sell "consultations" with randomly chosen clients, and made no effort to promote success on either side. What you're saying sounds familiar.

This thread has a lot of truly gross pseudo-motivational cliches - be positive, earn the sale, sell yourself, etc - but let me tell you, after sitting through monthly "sales meetings" in which we "committed" to signing up X number of new gym members and PT clients, you start to notice that these lines are hollow, useless and played endlessly on repeat. They're used to make you feel like a lack of success is your own fault rather than that of the environment that someone else created and you are now trying to work within.

With that being said, my advice to you is run, don't walk. This gym pretty clearly doesn't care about anything but the sales that you might bring in, and it's not worth the stress and self-doubt that they'll heap upon you if you don't compromise your fitness-training goals to focus on your cold calling and pushy sales tactics. There are great fitness facilities (especially niche) with tight-knit groups of friendly, experienced trainers who are paid really well and produce great results for their clients - I know because I found one for myself. Keep looking! Good luck.
    This pretty much just echoed the voice that has been in my head for the past 2 weeks and the advice I have been looking for, thanks a lot. Ya haha I get enough motivational clichés from Elliott Hulses channel, I've gotten in touch with one of my friends who is also a trainer and he said they're looking for trainers and gave me his bosses number, so we'll see what happens. I'll probably give a 2 weeks at this job soon, even though I was about to grab my bag and walk out the door a couple days ago not ever wanting to see this gym again.