caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Personal Trainer...in a wheelchair?

Hello everyone - i just wanted to see if i could get some opinions on this.

I am an ACSM CPT and hold my Bachelor's in Exercise Science. I also have paralysis from the chest down and use a wheelchair full-time. Almost exactly 4 years ago, I broke my neck diving into shallow water which caused my Spinal Cord injury at the C-5/6 level.

I am a relatively new trainer (8 months) - but not new to athletics or fitness (played college football before my accident). I currently train out of a small but brand new community center in a low-income area. I have very few clients BUT all have found success and seen results since training with me. I am really having trouble finding new clients. In an effort to do so (given my current gym's demographic and size), I've applied to all the major corporate gyms and the following happens: I apply/send my resume/credentials and receive a phone call within 48 hours. I interview well (I mean - I don't think I'm an *******) and wait for the decision. I get the response "Unfortunately we are unable to continue with the employment process". No mock training session or anything.

It's pretty sad when my 4-year degree from a private liberal arts institution can't get me employment at 24 hour fitness. I have a obvious passion for the field and it is not going to go away because of my "disability". I know safety is a huge concern, although I like to think I am smart enough (and educated) not to put clients in situations where I am unable to physically help.

Are there any PT Managers out there with some insight? Is this an image thing? Is it like that everywhere? Would you hire me?

Thank you to anyone that has taken the time to read this. I appreciate it.

CO

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Unfortunately due to the sad state of affairs our world is in, people are likely to evaluate you based on the chair first and your knowledge and ability second. It shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately you have to find someone who can see past it. Just like people who think a skinny trainer or young trainer doesn't know what they are doing.

Sounds like you are doing well where you are and you have an option to keep building slowly there. Another option to build clientele might be to actually market yourself to the disabled community. Are there any agencies or groups you could contact and offer them some training for their members? Since you have a good perspective on things, they would be much more likely to want to support you.

Another thing is are you mentioning your disability in your interviews? I'd basically not even reveal it unless they outright ask - if they then book a practical then at least you have a chance to get in front of them and show them that just because you're in a chair doesn't mean you can't be a great trainer.

caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caobungen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    Unfortunately due to the sad state of affairs our world is in, people are likely to evaluate you based on the chair first and your knowledge and ability second. It shouldn't be that way, but unfortunately you have to find someone who can see past it. Just like people who think a skinny trainer or young trainer doesn't know what they are doing.

Sounds like you are doing well where you are and you have an option to keep building slowly there. Another option to build clientele might be to actually market yourself to the disabled community. Are there any agencies or groups you could contact and offer them some training for their members? Since you have a good perspective on things, they would be much more likely to want to support you.

Another thing is are you mentioning your disability in your interviews? I'd basically not even reveal it unless they outright ask - if they then book a practical then at least you have a chance to get in front of them and show them that just because you're in a chair doesn't mean you can't be a great trainer.
    Thanks WoofieNugget...I really appreciate your thoughts. I actually started an adaptive strength and conditioning program that meets once a week. Basically training the wheelchair basketball team and other individuals with physical disabilities. As far as the interviews go...I arrive in my wheelchair and can't really hide it lol. I guess I'm just having a hard time with the rejection - especially because before I was injured I like to think I was in pretty good shape. Nothing else to do but keep trying.

I hope that anyone else that runs into a situation like this hopefully thinks twice and hopefully sees both sides.

Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Perhaps you should be really up front and address the wheelchair and the ways in which it doesn't impair your ability to train, in the interviews? The managers are probably coming from a bit of an uneducated standpoint and if you can put an ease to their immediate doubts, it might help. I don't know if you are already doing this though.

On another note, what a horrible thing to have happened to you. I admire your attitude and determination to succeed in spite of it!

mayeriment is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am going to follow this story. I am a 50 year old female born with Spina Bifida. Currently, I am a wheelchair user and I am studing for the ACSM CPT exam and the ACSM CIFT exam, simultaneously. It is my plan to start a not-for-profit organization on my property that will be a Christian based public garden open to and accessible toward all types of disabilities. Our focus will be native plants; hands on activities amongst nature; nature presentations and fitness classes for anyone who wants to participate. My plan is to be the instructor of the classes, among other things in the organization.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by caobungen View Post
    Hello everyone - i just wanted to see if i could get some opinions on this.

I am an ACSM CPT and hold my Bachelor's in Exercise Science. I also have paralysis from the chest down and use a wheelchair full-time. Almost exactly 4 years ago, I broke my neck diving into shallow water which caused my Spinal Cord injury at the C-5/6 level.

I am a relatively new trainer (8 months) - but not new to athletics or fitness (played college football before my accident). I currently train out of a small but brand new community center in a low-income area. I have very few clients BUT all have found success and seen results since training with me. I am really having trouble finding new clients. In an effort to do so (given my current gym's demographic and size), I've applied to all the major corporate gyms and the following happens: I apply/send my resume/credentials and receive a phone call within 48 hours. I interview well (I mean - I don't think I'm an *******) and wait for the decision. I get the response "Unfortunately we are unable to continue with the employment process". No mock training session or anything.

It's pretty sad when my 4-year degree from a private liberal arts institution can't get me employment at 24 hour fitness. I have a obvious passion for the field and it is not going to go away because of my "disability". I know safety is a huge concern, although I like to think I am smart enough (and educated) not to put clients in situations where I am unable to physically help.

Are there any PT Managers out there with some insight? Is this an image thing? Is it like that everywhere? Would you hire me?

Thank you to anyone that has taken the time to read this. I appreciate it.

CO
    Maybe you can be a physical therapist assistant. Personal training is a very physical and visual field so it will be very hard to find a job.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

I wish the best

Originally Posted by mayeriment View Post
    I am going to follow this story. I am a 50 year old female born with Spina Bifida. Currently, I am a wheelchair user and I am studing for the ACSM CPT exam and the ACSM CIFT exam, simultaneously. It is my plan to start a not-for-profit organization on my property that will be a Christian based public garden open to and accessible toward all types of disabilities. Our focus will be native plants; hands on activities amongst nature; nature presentations and fitness classes for anyone who wants to participate. My plan is to be the instructor of the classes, among other things in the organization.
    I do think its important to hire people if they have the educational required for the job and caobungden does fit the criteria. I wish him luck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class