Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Tiggerwool's Muscletech Clear Muscle Log

First, I want to thank the awesome folks at MuscleTech for letting me test not 1, not 2, but 3 bottles of their brand new Clear Muscle! Even at 30% off (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mu...ar-muscle.html ), as Bodybuilding.com is running right now, that’s a $210 log! Clear Muscle was recently part of a clinical study at the University of Tampa where subjects in the non-placebo group experienced fantastic results. I’ll let you read about it here: http://www.muscletech.com/products/clear-muscle/#_

Although those logging Clear Muscle have not been required, we have been encouraged to follow the same workout of those in the study, which was provided in detail on their website: http://www.muscletech.com/products/c...cle/trainhard/. The subjects in the study followed a pretty rigorous 3-5 day/week workout, one that I will be following as closely as possible (I don’t have a leg press, DBs only go to 50lbs, etc.). If you take a moment to read the workout, you may get a better picture of why even the placebo group gained 4lbs of lean body mass in just 12 weeks.

Gaining weight (fat or muscle) has never been an issue for me, however, losing body fat is always a challenge. It has been particularly difficult over the last 8 months or so, and the weight has come on, as well as my appetite. I can normally maintain and often lose weight going very low carb, but even that has been a struggle. So, I’m back to the 2000 calorie, 200g protein, 200g carb, 50g fat diet via 5 meals daily that you will often find recommended in these forums. It is effective, and has worked for me in the past. My intention with this log is to lose ~2lb of fat weekly while maximizing the effects of the workout and Clear Muscle to help me maintain as much lean body mass as possible.

On day 1, I weighed in at 248.6lbs, with a waist (belly button) measurement of a whopping 44.5 inches and the pic to prove my ‘winter/spring’ gluttonousness:

Go Utes!
    Army Vet

My logs and reviews: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155552093

Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tiggerwool is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yesterday morning I woke up much later than usual due to the holiday, took a serving of Clear Muscle and some Proats for breakfast and went at it.

We’ve actually known about the workout for a couple of weeks, and the Monday workouts were clearly the back-breakers of the bunch. So to acclimate myself a bit, I’ve been doing it twice a week for 3 weeks. Starting right off with your 8-12 rep max seems a bit dangerous without a warm up, which isn’t mentioned in the training. I prefer warming up with the same exercise that I plan my working sets, but I’ve found that just getting your body warm is nearly as effective, so I started on the treadmill at max incline for a short 5 minutes. I feel it made a big difference. Has anyone else found success with warming up prior to the workout?

All sets have 60 seconds of rest:

Back Squat:
    185lbs X 8 reps X 3 sets

Bench Press:
    165lbs X 8 reps
    165lbs X 8 reps
    165lbs X 12 reps
    Too light, will up the reps to 10 next Monday. Also, I find my shoulders get quickly injured if I go regular grip, so I’ve been using a ‘closer’ grip, where hands are straight above shoulders, right on the first knurling. It does force one to lower the weight, and it puts more work on the triceps.

Deadlift:
    225lbs X 8 reps X 3 sets

Pull ups (assisted with green band):
    8 reps X 3 sets
    I’ve gained too much weight to do 8 reps, but I’m improving quickly.

Dips:
    8 reps X 3 sets
    Again, the weight thing, though 3 weeks ago I couldn’t do 5, so there is improvement here, too. Also, I had forgotten that the pullups and dips were supposed to be supersetted, so I’ll have to fix that next Monday.

Bent over row:
    105lbs X 10 reps X 3 sets
    Pitiful. I’ve always been unbelievably weak on these. Much better on cable rows. DB rows, landmine D handle rows, etc. This one throws me off balance, puts weird tortion on my lower back, and makes me fatigue so fast it’s embarrassing

Dumbell shoulder press:
    50lbs X 2 hands X 12 reps
    50lbs X 2 hands X 10 reps
    50lbs X 2 hands X 10 reps
    I only have 50s, so this will be an issue soon. Not sure if I should just do more reps or start doing barbell.

Barbell Curl/Triceps extension superset:
    52.5lbs X 8 reps (cable curl) then 12 reps (tris) X 3 sets
    The curls are almost too heavy and the tris are just too light, so I think next workout I will do cable triceps extensions, but use the ez curl bar for the curls.

If you haven’t done 60 second rests for a ton of compound exercises recently, I suggest you give it a shot. You feel like you can’t catch your breath, but feel fantastic afterwards!
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great start tiger buddy, Kick butt during this log and keep us updated.

Can't wait to see what they can do for you, Don't forget to train your butt off
    Kick.com/beetoxic
    Give me a Follow for some REP

Originally Posted by BlueRev View Post
    Great start tiger buddy, Kick butt during this log and keep us updated.

Can't wait to see what they can do for you, Don't forget to train your butt off
    Thanks, Blue! Good to 'see' you again! Training hard no issue here. Controlling appetite is issue!
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Update on Wednesday (5/28) workout:
    Compared to day 1, day 2 in the 3 workouts per week is almost…relaxing? I’ve never done maximal intended velocity repetitions, and 48 hrs after day 1, going from 1 min rest to 3 mins is a big change. We kept looking at the clock and wondering when to start our next set.

Squats –
    225 X 5 reps X 5 sets Did these as fast as possible. I think it may be wise to actually lower the weight
    Bench (I go narrow grip to reduce shoulder issues)
    205 X 5 reps X 5 sets Again, may be a little too high for the intention of this exercise
    Deadlift –
    250 X 5 reps X 5 sets. This was actually right in line. Speed and control felt good.

Reading the study, it appears that the subjects did 40-60% of 1RM on this exercise. So, my narrow grip bench max is 285, I should be doing closer to 145. Recent squat is in the 350 range, so 175 is more appropriate. But Deadlift is 410, so 250 isn’t as far out of range as the others, but 205 may be more in line.
    What about Clear Muscle? Well, I have two thoughts. I had some explosive bathroom fun the morning after the first day…but there was no discomfort. My diet hadn’t changed, so I have nothing else to ‘blame’ it on.
    However, I can blame Clear Muscle for the other thought. Normally, after a stressful leg day (like Monday), I feel some DOMS (maybe in the 3-4 out of 10 range), and 2 days later I’m in the 5-8 range. Well, on Tuesday it was more like 2…and Wednesday it was literally 0. Not one bit. None at all. This could very well be where Clear Muscle makes the difference.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    3 solid sets of lifts. In on this tigger
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Just finished my Friday workout and I HAVE to comment on Clear Muscle…but you’ll have to wait until the end…

The Friday workout takes FOREVER. 4 minutes rest is just about nap worthy. 82 minutes of rest alone. The exercises and number of sets appear to be a mirror image of Monday’s workout, except 3-5 reps w 4 mins rest instead of 8-12 with 1 min. However, there are some changes that don’t make sense, and I suspect may even be a typo. For example, all of the workouts are 3 sets except the first 2 are 5? That’s not the way day 1 is…Also, day 1 has a superset of pullups and dips, but day 3 has pullups and DB presses…however dumbbell presses are also later in the workout? I proceeded as if they were typos…

Squats
    275X5, 295X4, 295X3 I strongly suspect this will go up quickly. My knee problems appear gone.

Bench
    225X5, 245X4, 255X3 Another lift I suspect will go up quickly

Deadlift
    315X3, 345X3, 345X3 Used straps on the last set, grip went quickly

Pushups/dip superset
    3 unassisted pullups are about my max at this weight, so that worked, but I couldn’t put on the dip belt in time to throw an extra 35lbs on for the dips, so I did very slow reps (3)

Rows
    165X5, 165X5, 165X5…this is too easy to cheat. Kinda hard to do a low-rep max on these without cheating

Military presses (the workout calls for DB, but mine only go to 50…)
    135X5, 155X5, 165X4
    Curls/tri extension superset
    Curls – 115X3X3, Tris 90X3X3 I did the curls with my back against the wall – far less cheating that way. Also did the extensions with a cable, again less cheating

Now, onto my thoughts about Clear Muscle…If you’ve followed my logs, you know that I usually workout with a 6’3” orangutan (he has a 6’6” wingspan), weighing 250. We call him DROD. Well, he was DYING today because of the speed and intensity of Wednesday’s workout. His legs wouldn’t work right, and on his last deadlift set, he even got a Charlie horse and could not continue. This guy is 16 years my junior. I smoked him today, even on deadlifts (the only lift where he is stronger than I). The DOMS was debilitating. I had none. As in, 0 on the 10 scale. Nothing at all. I have no other reason to believe my great workout today and lack of any DOMS whatsoever is due to Clear Muscle. Simple as that.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Originally Posted by emergency View Post
    3 solid sets of lifts. In on this tigger
    Sweet! Glad to have you along!
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

My weight Saturday morning actually went up (from last Saturday morning) by 2lbs to 250.6. I’m desperately clinging on to the hope that the Memorial Day BBQ sabotaged the rest of my week….because if I’m wrong that means my metabolism has slowed to a crawl and I’ll have to go on the African diet/marathon training to actually drop weight. Which, in turn, will make my metabolism worse. Anyway, so instead of just guessing my macros, I’m going to start logging them. If I was sub 10% bodyfat this wouldn’t be an issue. But at 250lbs, I should be losing weight just by dropping sugars and wheat – much less what I’ve been doing:

Meal 1: ¼ cu. Quick oats and 1 scoop Chocolate Phase 8, 3 fish oil tabs
    Meal 2: 4 oz. seasoned chicken breast, 1 cu. Fibrous veggies, ¼ cu. Basmati rice
    Meal 2: 4 oz. fat-trimmed sirloin, 1 cu. Fibrous veggies, ¼ cu. Basmati rice
    Meal 4: 1 scoop Phase 8, 1 TBSP Dextrose, 1 TBSP Maltodextrin
    Meal 5: 4 oz. Salmon filet, 1 banana
    Snacks: 2 oz. Almonds

Fat: 72g
    Carbs: 157g (21g fiber)
    Pro:192g
    Calories: 1981

This is my typical M-F day. I’m thinking of lowering fats and going for more carbs, which should be pretty easy by replacing the nuts with a couple of servings of fruit. Thoughts?
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

This past weekend I felt some stiffness from Friday’s workout – mostly shoulder girdle. I didn’t really feel sore per say, just, old? Anyway, it only manifested itself at a family swimming party. Once again, the workouts are simply destroying DROD. Truth be told, he spends his 10 hour workdays running around delivering hospital supplies, where I am behind a desk. My recovery is probably better than my 16 year junior.

I spent some time stretching out, on the treadmill and doing some light squats before my sets:
    Back Squat:
    205 X 8 reps X 3 sets

Bench:
    165 X 10 reps X 3 sets

Deadlift:
    240lbs X 8 reps X 3 sets

Pullup/dip superset (I can’t do 8 pullups yet, so I’m just doing AMRAP):
    8/8, 8/8, 5/6 (assisted pull-ups)
    Bent over row: Last week I could only do 105 lbs for 10 reps 3 X, so I watched a few vids. Poor form. With the better form:
    125lbs X 8 reps X 3 sets

DB shoulder Press:
    50lbs X 2 hands X 12 reps X 3sets. Now that I’ve done all that I can (and I don’t have >50lb DBs), I haven’t decided to do BB, or just raise reps

EZ curl bar/Tri pushdown superset:
    85lbs X 8 reps/65 lbs X 8 reps…x 3 sets

Finished the workout in 41 mins. We were pretty good at sticking to the rest times, but it got a little stretched when swapping weights or moving pins due to DROD's orangutan arms.

I was able to raise the weight or reps on every single exercise in just one week. My recovery (if DOMS is any indication) is outstanding!
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Wednesday's workout is such the polar opposite of Monday. 3 minutes is very relaxing. I haven't done much 'max speed' work before, but it felt good. I did lower the weight, and I can see where the utility of this work comes in. Suprisingly, I felt no strength loss at all in any sets, but I kept getting slower while trying to go as fast as possible:

Squats
    185 X 5 X 5

Bench
    160 X 5 X 5

Dead
    225 X 5 X 5

Drod and I enjoyed it. I'm hoping to see what the long term effects of such training are.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Church campout right after work on Friday, so I had to do the workout prior to a funeral this morning. Though I got up at 7, I still didn't give myself the time to complete this monstrously long workout, and had to cut it short. Though the weights were awesome, and I hit a never before achieved PR...

Squats
    295 X 3
    295 X 3
    305 X 3

Bench
    245 X 3
    255 X 3
    265 X 3 ----Lifetime PR!!!!

Dead
    315 X 3
    345 X 3
    355 X 3

Pullups/dips superset. I am not strong enough to do 3-5 reps of pullups with a weight belt, and putting the weight belt on between them seems like a waste of the superset objective. So I did 3 slower pullups and 3 super slow super deep dips for 3 sets

That's when I ran out of time....damnit

I did weight myself this morning, 252.2....+2lbs per week, are you kidding me? Anyone have a tapeworm I could borrow?
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Drod was unable to workout on Monday, so we decided to do ‘Mondays’ workout on Tuesday. I didn’t feel like working out on back-to-back days would be too much of an issue, as Wednesday’s workout is so….relaxing? compared to Monday.

Squats
    210 X 8 reps X 3 sets (improvement of 5lbs per rep over last week, and 25lbs over first workout)

Bench (I do these close grip, as my shoulders don’t injure so quickly)
    165 X 12 reps
    165 X 12 reps
    165 X 10 reps (improvement of 2 reps over last week, and 6 reps over first workout)

Deadlift
    245 X 9 X 3 (improvement of 5lbs per rep over last week, and 20lbs over first workout)

Pullup/dip superset (I do pullups assisted by green band, dips unassisted):
    8 + 8, 8 + 6, 6 + 4. Dips declined quickly. Combo of only 60 secs rest and tris blown out from bench.

DB Military Press
    50lbs X 2 hands X 12 reps, 12 reps, 10 reps (I’ve done 12 X3 before, but tris were just blown)

Row (I’ve mentioned this before, I just can’t do these right, my lower back gets too tight to continue WAY before arm/back exhaustion. Considering changing this to a seated cable row)
    115 X 8 X 3

EZ curl bar/ Tri pushdown superset:
    75lbs curl X 8 reps + 65lbs tri pushdown for 3 sets. I’m so exhausted by this time I can’t possible raise the weight. Finished the workout in 40:30, 30 sec faster than last Monday. I did not time my first workout. Workout was interrupted for 3-4 minutes by daughter, so next week I should destroy this time.

Overall thoughts:
    Leg soreness (or lack thereof) is still astonishing to me. I don’t recall doing this many reps of squats and deads without much leg soreness. Feels great! DROD my workout partner is starting to catch up. Ah, youth! I am feeling some overall stiffness and near- injury all over my shoulder girdle. It’s less muscle DOMS and more “you better take it easy, you know what happened last time” from my joints and tendons. Saturday’s close grip bench lifetime PR of 265 X 3 was likely the cause of the issue. Hoping my joints can keep up with my muscles. This has ever been my problem. I could always out bench my shoulders.

Anyway, I’m still having some bowel movement ‘softness’. Could be Clear Muscle but not 100% sure. This morning’s adventure was probably more attributable to the Thai-hot (not kidding, they actually label it that) Green Curry I had last night.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Yesterday’s workout was once again a walk in the park. Too much, in fact. Last Wednesday, we moved the weights down to ensure we were meeting the ‘speed and intensity’ goal of the workout, which came out very well. We decided to keep the weights the same this week, because as we went through the lifts last week, we kept slowing down. That wasn’t the case this week. I think our 5th sets of each lift were just as fast if not faster than our 1st sets. We will be raising the weights next Wednesday:

Squats
    185lbs X 5 X 5

Bench
    160lbs X 5 X 5

Deads
    225lbs X 5 X 5

Simple, very fast. So fast that we didn’t bother to time our 3 minutes rest from end of lift to beginning, rather just starting every 3 minutes.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) emergency has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    congrats on the lifetime PR the other day. training is looking solid.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

congrats on the lifetime PR the other day. training is looking solid.
    Thanks! i'm feeling strong as hell! I was hoping to get another PR on Friday's workout (I'll update that later today) but I felt a pull in my right pec and decided to stop the bench set. Always seems to happen lately. Just when I'm set to make some serious gains the injuries come in.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000) bradandblake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Looks like another person gaining weight while trying to lose on CM. I'm on a 500 caloric deficit, and I've actually stood still in my weight loss. Two others have gained while on their deficit. Kissadookie thinks it could be glycogen retention.

Originally Posted by bradandblake View Post
    Looks like another person gaining weight while trying to lose on CM. I'm on a 500 caloric deficit, and I've actually stood still in my weight loss. Two others have gained while on their deficit. Kissadookie thinks it could be glycogen retention.
    Thanks for stopping in and letting me know! I had a similar issue when taking a test sup. My appetite went absolutely nuts.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

A little late on my Friday workout and weekend weight in update. I’ll blame it on Father’s “Weekend” activities J

Felt very good going into this workout, hoping to hit another bench PR like last week. I don’t keep track of my non 1RM PRs on squats and deads, but I have to be getting close. I once again underestimated the amount of time it takes to finish this workout. The warmups and 4 min rest periods just push it to just shy of forever. And I was not about to be late to a date with my bride of 21 years…

Squats
    295 X 3
    305 X 3
    315 X 3

Bench
    255 X 3
    265 X 2….so, I felt a twinge again while doing bench. I have two now…one in my left shoulder, one in my right collarbone. I decided to suspend the bench in this workout. Hopefully I can resume on Monday’s workout.

Dead
    315 X 3
    355 X 3
    365 X 3

Pullup/dip superset. Just 3 slow pullups and 3 slow dips for 3 sets – although I increased reps for most sets above, I felt much weaker on these.

Bent over BB rows:
    185 X 3 X 3. Decent form this time. It’s scary how weak I am on this.

Military Press:
    135 X 3
    145 X 3
    155 X 3
    I went light on these due to the shoulder/collarbone stuff. I hope it didn’t make it worse.

Missed the curl/tri workout due to timing. Hopefully that will not be the case next week.

Saturday’s weigh in was 254.6. The past two weeks, I could not blame my weight gain on poor adherence to diet, but I could this week. I ate cleanly, just too much food in general.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

My workout partner is out of town on vacation, and I thought this would help reduce my overall time. Boy was I wrong. Details after the break:

Squat:
    215 X 8 reps X 3 sets (5lbs over last week, 30lbs over first workout)

Bench:
    165 X 12 reps
    165 X 12 reps
    165 X 5 reps (my triceps locked up…physically incapable of doing more. Fortunately I don’t think my shoulder and collarbone issues contributed)

Deadlift:
    250 X 8 X 3 (+5lbs over last week, and 25lbs over first workout)

Pullup/Dip superset.
    Here is where the wheels fell off. I could to the 8 pullups with a green band assisting, but due to the should problems, I could not do a single dip. I probably could have done it, but the pain was severe enough for me to know better than to make a small injury into a big one.

Military presses.
    I was terrified at this point that my shoulder injury and tricep ‘lockup’ was going to extend into these, so I lowered the weight to 40lbs. I easily did 3 sets of 12 reps. Maybe intensity of 6/10. I don’t think it effected either my tris or shoulder problems….silver lining there.

Rows:
    120lbs X 8 X 3. Hey! Actual improvement here! Decent form, too

EZ curl bar (with back against the wall) and Tricep pushdown superset.
    75lbs/65lbs X 8 X 3…same as first workout. I’m so exhausted by this time that the thought of increasing weights or reps is just daunting.

So, last week I completed the workout in 40:30. Today? 46. Not kidding. The main reason is because sometime after the deadlifts, my lower back muscles got a crazy pump that turned into a locked muscle group. It would not let go. My rests turned from 60 secs to more like 120 secs. I would just lie on the ground in an attempt to relax the muscle – but nothing seemed to work. I’ve read that others have the same problem, but some have turned it into a positive. I’ve tried using a belt, but I don’t think that’s helping.

So, negatives are that my body may be a little too old and out of shape for the intensity this workout brings. The injuries are starting to pile up and I may have to alter the workouts for maximum recovery (Is, Ys, Ts with bands always seem to help with shoulder issues, etc.). The positives are, hardly any DOMS at all even with repeated squats and deads where I’m increasing the weight every workout.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

I struggle with the Wednesday workout during these first 8 weeks. I’ve read over some other logs to help out, but since I’ve never done a speed and intensity session like this, I don’t know when to advance the weight, when to determine that it is or isn’t working, etc. I do know one thing, though. Last week I felt like every set and rep was quick, and I felt no slower on the 5th rep of the 5th set than I did on the 1st rep of the 1st set. So I increased all 3 lifts by 10lbs –

Squats
    195lbx X 5 X 5

Bench
    170lbs X 5 X 5

Deads
    235 X 5 X 5

The workout was simple enough, though I did find it odd that I was sweating lightly as there is 180 secs rest between sets of 5. Although it’s hard to tell, I do think that each rep was just slightly slower than last week’s 10lbs lighter version. I do feel like the 5th rep of each 5th set was still just as fast as the 1st of the 1st. Drod is on vacation, so I don’t have anyone to tell me that I’m moving faster or slower. Next week’s workouts will be a challenge, as I am traveling on business and the hotel gym isn’t conducive to bench, squat, dead. Last time I was there they had a sign that stated you could go to a local gym for $10 a day. I will see if that is still available.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

For the first time I think in this log I actually gave myself enough time to complete the Friday workout. It just takes so much more time than you think... Once again my shoulders just did not feel up to the task (and that effects 3 of the sets), but everything else was stronger than last week
    Squats
    295 X 3
    310 X 3
    325 X 3 (felt great! Really strong here)

Bench
    225 X 5 X 3 ( I backed off of the 3RM to help recover my shoulders)

Dead
    315 X 3
    355 X 3
    365 X 3 (same as last week, but form was better, should have done 4 reps or increased weight)

Pullup/dip superset. Did 3 sets of 3 pullups/3 dips slow. Shoulder feels a little better, but not much

Bent over rows
    185 X 3 X 3 again. Should do more reps next time
    Military press
    135 X 5 X 3. Like bench, increased reps but decreased weight
    Curl/tri superset. 95lbs on straight bar for the 3 sets of 3, and 90lbs on the tri pushdowns on the 3 sets of 3. Will try 5 reps next workout.

Weight on Sat morning was again 254.6. I am traveling all this week, but I think I found a place I can workout that will work.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

I was traveling just about all day on Monday, so I had to move my normal Monday workout to Tuesday night. The hotel ‘gym’ is complete crap, but for $5 there is a nice gym within walking distance. It has just about everything, but a little crowded at 5:30. The squat rack/deadlift area wasn’t being used much, although there were some monsters in the room. Everyone seemed to be doing isolation exercises. I did see one guy squat, but it was on a Smith machine. A few folks benching. However, even with the squat/bench areas free, there was no way I could get the maximum benefit from a 60 sec rest for all the exercises on a Monday workout. So, I did a modified Friday workout, where I stuck to 3-5 RM for just squat, bench, dead. Not enough time to complete the whole Friday workout, as I had a business dinner at 7pm (that lasted until 9pm!). Sometimes I had travel.

Squats:
    315 X 3
    335 X 3
    345 X 3
    I don’t know if it was the public arena, but I was just stronger, more motivated. Also, the real mirror (instead of a window at home), helped me see that my form is doing pretty well.

Bench:
    225 X 5 X 3
    Same shoulder issue, don’t dare go above 225 for the time being

Dead:
    315 X 3
    365 X 3
    385 X 1
    Only managed 1 on the 385…so I think I need to lower the weights a bit and go for 5 instead of ‘maybe’ hitting 3…

I have a few more days in town, need to figure out a way to get in the other two workouts this week with that gym…might have to do a morning workout – hopefully it’s emptier.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

sorry for not stopping in for a while! some really impressive session you have been putting out.

sorry for not stopping in for a while! some really impressive session you have been putting out.
    Hey emergency! Yeah, I am feeling super strong. If it weren't for these damn shoulder issues I know I'd be benching that elusive 315. I figure if I can get 265 for 3 reps on narrow grip, why not on normal grip?
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Originally Posted by Tiggerwool View Post
    Hey emergency! Yeah, I am feeling super strong. If it weren't for these damn shoulder issues I know I'd be benching that elusive 315. I figure if I can get 265 for 3 reps on narrow grip, why not on normal grip?
    Great to hear you are feeling stronger. I could not agree more on the shoulder issues can really make training hard sometimes in the aspect of just putting up some good weight and not causing further issues.

My sincere apologies for lacl of updates. I got back from the trip and immediately had symptoms of stomach flu. Ot has been a terrible week. No lifting, no eating..I keep telling myself. I will feel better and get back on it tomorrow but it just hasn't happenede.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

After the long layoff, I was finally able to workout yesterday! Not anything serious, and not enough to detail the weights. i just did so,e warmups and one loght set each of squats, bench and dead. I feel like I will finally be back on track for Wednesdays workout. I don't know what was wrong. We had family over, which included 5 under the age of 6. They often come with stomach issues, and one did throw up. But no one other than she and I did.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Finally got a REAL workout in today! Granted it was the Wednesday workout, and I was so weak I had to decrease the weights. Butt it felt good. Here is to getting back on track!

Squat
    185x5x5

Bench
    135x5x5

Dead
    225x5x5

All with 3 minutes rest, all at max speed.
    Go Utes!
    Army Vet

Originally Posted by Tiggerwool View Post
    Finally got a REAL workout in today! Granted it was the Wednesday workout, and I was so weak I had to decrease the weights. Butt it felt good. Here is to getting back on track!

Squat
    185x5x5

Bench
    135x5x5

Dead
    225x5x5

All with 3 minutes rest, all at max speed.
    Great to hear you are back at it and feeling better. those stomach bugs can really take it out of you.