Rmcg192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear

So I tore my ACL a few months ago playing football (Soccer) when my knee popped during a 50-50 tackle.
    I'm unfortunately still awaiting an operation which should hopefully be in the next few months.
    In the meantime, I'm growing increasingly concerned about my legs. As I kind of expected i'm putting on weight which sucks but i've increased the amount of time spent in the gym to combat this.

However, I am nervous about training my legs. I done weighted squats at 60 kilo (basically nothing) and even then I felt a lot of discomfort in the leg.

Can anyone suggest any training I can do for my lower body to reduce muscle loss?

Ps my primary concerns are for my hamstrings, glutes and quads. I can't run.

Cheers

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You 5'7 and 165 - you dont have any real muscle mass to be honest. Best thing you can do is get the operation and recuperate from then. If you can have an actual PT work with you, then I guess you got more options, sorry.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Rmcg192 View Post
    So I tore my ACL a few months ago playing football (Soccer) when my knee popped during a 50-50 tackle.
    I'm unfortunately still awaiting an operation which should hopefully be in the next few months.
    In the meantime, I'm growing increasingly concerned about my legs. As I kind of expected i'm putting on weight which sucks but i've increased the amount of time spent in the gym to combat this.

However, I am nervous about training my legs. I done weighted squats at 60 kilo (basically nothing) and even then I felt a lot of discomfort in the leg.

Can anyone suggest any training I can do for my lower body to reduce muscle loss?

Ps my primary concerns are for my hamstrings, glutes and quads. I can't run.

Cheers
    I tore my knee in hs. I got the surgery 2 weeks after it was torn, so I guess my situation is different since I didn't have to wait 6+ months. But, I was sent to a physical therapist prior to the surgery to do exercises to get my rang of motion have and strengthen it a bit, or rather minimize muscle loss.

But, muscle loss really is minimal prior to surgery since you are still walking around on it. It is when you are completely off of it for several weeks when see muscle loss. If you tore it 3 months ago, you should have full range of motion back and be walking just fine. And therefore you will not see any muscle loss. You will see muscle loss after the surgery. There are plenty of stationary exercises that you can do to strengthen the area prior to surgery.

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Go to your physio. Might be best not to train until surgery.
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek