Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000)

Training after an "abdominal" hysterectomy

Well ladies, it looks like I might have to have an abdominal hysterectomy. I have many and very large fibroids. My uterus is the size of a 12 week pregnancy. Within the last two months, I've noticed one fibroid has grown from the size of a golfball to the size of a baseball. I can lay on my back and see a baseball size lump. The fibroids are too large to do it laparoscopically.

I'm very terrified about the thought of surgery but I'm really scared how my abdominal muscles will be affected and how difficult it will be to get back to lifting heavy again.

Any advise, good or bad experiences you ladies might have, I'd really appreciate it.

My OB/GYN doesn't workout or exercise so I'm sure she only has the "medical book" advise. I'll hopefully be going back to see her within the next couple of weeks.

gahh, I don't want to be cut on and have a 5-7in scar across my abdomen and I don't like the thought of having to start back at square one after surgery.

My nerves are shot.
    ~Moosifee~

"Yes, if you squat wrong it f**ks things up. If you squat correctly, those same f***ed-up things will unf**k themselves." -- Mark Rippetoe

(Cycle 3 : all pro's 636)

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    No chance they can do the procedure vaginally? I'd set up a consultation with your surgeon to discuss how your abdonimals will be able to heal, because it will really depend on the location/style of incision. My mom had a complete hysterectomy but she was able to do it *mostly* vaginally, so her incision was actually fairly minimal; she still had a very long recovery though.
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000) Deviant Motive is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been to 2 OB/GYN's and have been told the same thing.

I have too many and they are too big to go any other route.

~Moosifee~

"Yes, if you squat wrong it f**ks things up. If you squat correctly, those same f***ed-up things will unf**k themselves." -- Mark Rippetoe

-H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -H- has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sorry to hear that!!
    I have not had a hysterectomy but had my girls via c-section. Each time I was able to exercise after 6 weeks. There was a little pain initially with exercise, but I was able to get back to my routine fairly quickly. I think 6 weeks is usually the norm after such surgeries. I would not advise exercise sooner than Dr recommends because if something is messed up it would require even longer rest. (It is, as you know, significant physical trauma etc.)

It was hard for me to feel like I lost all fitness (I was on bedrest for 13 weeks prior to my first c-section) but really if you don't have a choice, just have to do it and make the best of it. Time goes fast (though doesn't feel like it at the time and all...) My ab muscles were not affected. Of course there was pain at first, but even in the hospital staff commented that I had strong abs lol. (Can't see them, but they are under there.) I have a little lower stomach fat because of the babies, but my surgeries and scar did not affect it and I don't mind it now.
    Hope it all goes as well as possible!
    "You pass on more to your children and your grandchildren than your eye color, your hair color, your crooked smile. You also pass on your enthusiasm, your spirit, your desire to compete. You provide the living example that they can become more than they ever thought they could. Because you did.”
    -- Nike

*TEAM AMAZON* Sisterhood of Iron

nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50) nicolemc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My mom had a hysterectomy, she had fribroids as well, and she had it taken out abdominally. Her incisions were actually incredibly tiny! It was like they sucked it out through a straw or something. Talk to your surgeon and let them know your concerns and what they would recommend. She was not able to do heavy lifting or anything for 2 months following the surgery. Your surgery will definitely mean taking sometime out but it won't be the end of the world. You will make your gains back and be healthier and fribroid free!

tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000) tasnana is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2009 and was told 8 weeks. No lifting of any thing more than 5lbs. or even vacuuming. I did light cardio by walking on the treadmill and light weights like arm raises after the first 4 weeks. You have to be careful and let your body heal. All your organs have moved around and until they settle you will be sore.

There is a web site and forum support group that really helped me out. its.
    hystersisters.com

Good luck!!

Thanks, I'll check that site out.

I'm just to the point that I'm ready to get rid of the problem. It feels really disgusting honestly. Feeling & seeing something the size of a baseball protruding from your abdomen is just really disgusting & knowing its still growing.

I was hoping I could just wait it out until menopause but it looks like I'd have something larger than a basketball by then. 10 years is along time.
    ~Moosifee~

fmburton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hysterectomy progress

I stumbled across your post and wondered how you did through all of this? I'm 7 weeks postop, abdonimal, and as a NPC competitor, scared my gym life won't ever be the same. Grateful for a successful procedure, but struggling to adjust to the changes and constant feeling of a prolapse. Knowing it's still early in the recovery process, I'm trying to be patient. I hope things have gone well for you!

All my best!

cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My mom had this same procedure done about a year and a half ago - her's was the size of a small melon and weighed 10 lbs! - and she recovered quickly and was back to working out within about a month. She was totally on bed rest for a good 4 weeks I'd say, though. Then she began to incorporate light walking, then gradually was able to work back up to the elliptical. Don't rush to do anything because then you'll just set yourself up for a longer recovery. The strength that you may lose in about a month or two will bounce back once you're all healed completely. Take it easy and good luck!

Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000) Jodie10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Deviant Motive View Post
    I've been to 2 OB/GYN's and have been told the same thing.

I have too many and they are too big to go any other route.

Might sound crazy but can you consult a plastic surgeon? Maybe they can at least perform a scar revision if there is no other way, or some laser treatments to help lighten and shrink your scar.

Sucks. Feel better soon.
    Under Construction.