vilago is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ironmasters Quick Lock Dumbell - play in plates, Normal?

To anyone who has a set of the Ironmasters 75lb or more quick lock dumbells, do you notice any looseness when using them at all unless you really torque the quick lock screw? I noticed that unless I really crank down on them there is still some movement which can be heard and felt during exercises which is a bit jarring, especially at higher weights. I reached out to Scott at IM and he says this is normal yet for all the reviews of these out there, I was expecting it to need a quick quarter turn and no rattling or looseness felt ever. I did not read that I need to turn it with ridiculously strong force to have it stay tight. Is this the experience of everyone else or am I just way off base? I have a video link for a demonstration of what i am experiencing but the forum won't let me post it because i'm new here.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vilago View Post
    To anyone who has a set of the Ironmasters 75lb or more quick lock dumbells, do you notice any looseness when using them at all unless you really torque the quick lock screw? I noticed that unless I really crank down on them there is still some movement which can be heard and felt during exercises which is a bit jarring, especially at higher weights. I reached out to Scott at IM and he says this is normal yet for all the reviews of these out there, I was expecting it to need a quick quarter turn and no rattling or looseness felt ever. I did not read that I need to turn it with ridiculously strong force to have it stay tight. Is this the experience of everyone else or am I just way off base? I have a video link for a demonstration of what i am experiencing but the forum won't let me post it because i'm new here.
    I'll notice just a little bit of rattle, no worse than using ProStyle dumbbells. It is being held together with a threaded screw, so the harder you crank it down the tighter it will get. I've never had it feel like they would come apart or even pinch skin or anything between the plates. I've never had the plates feel as if they were shifting back and forth when using them.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

vilago is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    I'll notice just a little bit of rattle, no worse than using ProStyle dumbbells. It is being held together with a threaded screw, so the harder you crank it down the tighter it will get. I've never had it feel like they would come apart or even pinch skin or anything between the plates. I've never had the plates feel as if they were shifting back and forth when using them.
    That's a good point, there are worse offenders out there in this area. I just felt like it needed a little TOO much torque to get properly tight. There never seemed to be any indication the screw would fall out. Thanks for the insight.

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Got mine used, had em for years and even then, they lock on and stay on pretty well. Plates are a bit marked up though from usage.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bryan88MA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have several pairs of the 75lb set. No rattle here but I do crank down on em pretty tight.

I've had some issues with engagement on the most recent pair I found used... Have to really press the plates together for the screw to engage. Sometimes I need to back the screw out a little before beginning to turn it. Probably more to do with tolerance stack up than anything else.

Once tightened, all of my pairs are solid and I don't worry about them.

Originally Posted by vilago View Post
    I'm only ecto on the outside