Page 1 of 32 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Belts - A Comprehensive Guide

The topics “Do I need a belt” and “What belt should I buy” are such a frequent occurrence that it has warranted a detailed posting on the topic.

Before using a belt, learn to breathe

Many people, unaware of detailed anatomical and physiological processes, breathe incorrectly when exercising. Reading the latest article from shiny muscle magazines lining grocery store shelves or the newest blog entry from the current exercise-guru-flavor-of-the-week, the average person exercising believes that you inhale during the eccentric portion of a lift and exhale during the concentric portion of the lift, since this is the oft spouted advice of said sources. In reality, the best way to prevent an orthopedic injury while performing any compound movement is to perform a “Valsalva maneuver,” the execution of which is described below:

“When you inhale, your diaphragm contracts and the volume of your thoracic cavity increases. As air flows into your now larger lungs, pressure equalizes between the outside and the inside. When you clamp down to hold your breath and tighten your trunk muscles, you create a pressure gradient between the inside and the outside. This pressure increases markedly with the intensity of the squeeze. Since your thoracic and abdominal cavities are separated by only your diaphragm, abdominal pressure increases, too. The spinal vertebrae are being held in the correct anatomical position by your back musculature. This correct position is reinforced by static pressure transmitted to the spine across the essentially non-compressible contents of the abdominal cavity. Pressure in your abdominal and thoracic cavities is therefore transmitted to your spine from the anterior and lateral directions, and the spinal erectors are generating pressure from the posterior. When pressure in the thoracic cavity increases with a big held breath, and this pressure is increased by the tightening of the abs and obliques, support develops for the spine as if a rigid cylinder were surrounding the spinal column. A weightlifting belt adds to this effect, its main function being to add support to the cylinder from the front and sides, rather than to apply pressure from the back.” (Starting Strength 3rd Edition, Mark Rippetoe)

In summary, take a deep breath down into your belly and hold it while squeezing your “core,” then perform your lift. Reset your breath between reps.

What does a belt do?

A lifting belt amplifies the effect of the Valsalva maneuver. It does this through a mechanism know as cylindrical stress. The best example cylindrical stress is displayed in the metal hoops wrapped around oak barrels. By keeping your belly from expanding when you inhale deeply, the intra-abdominal pressure is exponentially increased, making your torso much more rigid than without it. The first purpose of intentionally raising your internal pressure gradient is increased force transmission. Essentially, you can lift more weight with a belt than without it, because your upper body, specifically your spinal column, will remain erect under a greater load than without the intra-abdominal pressure generated by the belt. The second purpose is protection of the back while lifting. If you can lift more weight with a belt than without it, then it stands to reason that using a submaximal load will be a less dangerous endeavor with the belt rather than without it.

Do I need a belt?

If you are looking to get bigger or stronger, the answer is yes. Whether you are a bodybuilder, a powerlifter, or a weightlifter, lifting progressively heavier weight is the best way to build strength, mass, and power. Obviously powerlifters will use a belt, but many bodybuilders doubt the efficacy of the tool. Think about it like this – will doing your bench press sets with 225 lbs or 315 lbs make you bigger? That logic can be applied to squats and deadlifts (or insert whatever exercise here), and any exercise where you must maintain an upright torso under load will benefit from a belt.

If you are looking to remain injury free or to begin lifting after an injury related to your back, the answer is clear yet again. Any load you lift with a belt on is a safer lift than without it, for reasons explained above. A common objection to using the belt is the idea that your “core” won’t be worked as well while using one. This couldn’t be further from the truth. If you were able to squat 225 lbs for 8 reps without a belt, but you are able to lift 315 lbs for 8 reps with one, do you really believe your core is not being worked just as hard? Try standing up under a heavy squat without your abs and spinal erectors fully engaged, with or without a belt… It isn’t possible. To reemphasize, a belt does not lessen the activation and use of your core musculature.

Using the belt

Now that you know how to breathe and have realized a belt will help you with your lifting goals, you must learn to properly use the belt. It is rather simple, actually - when donning your belt, it should be pulled as tightly as possible across your midsection between your rib cage and your iliac crest (typically, centered on your belly button) while still allowing you to fully contract your abdominal musculature. This will allow it to have its greatest effect. Now simply breathe as described earlier, and then lift. Be sure to loosen the belt between sets.

How to choose a belt

For the static lifts (such as squats and deadlifts), the best designed belts are the same height for the entire circumference of the belt, they are made of leather, and they are never padded. Since the purpose of the belt is to increase intra-abdominal pressure, and since it does that through cylindrical stress, the height of opposite sides must be of equal heights in order to distribute pressure equally across the surfaces it contacts and it must be rigid - it’s a simple matter of pressure per square inch. The most common height of a quality belt is 4” around. Although there are other height belts, 4” belts are ideal for most people.

The next consideration is thickness. Quality belts typically come in 10mm and 13mm. For most general strength and bodybuilding trainees, the 10mm belt will provide all the support desired, while competitive powerlifters will want a 13mm belt for maximum support under load. The reason why everyone besides a powerlifter should get a 10mm is that the thicker belt is painfully uncomfortable. Most people will have an adjustment period to the 10mm before they get it broken in while the 13mm will, in most cases, remain as rigid as the day it was purchased.

Now that we have determined most lifters should be wearing a 4” high 10mm belt, the next point to consider is the buckle. There are generally three choices to pick from, though some manufacturers have more exotic designs. The basic choices are the single prong buckle, double prong buckle, and lever. Buckles are generally less expensive than levers, and more abundant in choices as well. The double prong distributes stress more evenly across the belt and buckle than the single prong style, but is more difficult to manage getting on and off. If the belt is high quality, the double prong offers no advantages over the single prong since this very simple design is essentially bulletproof if the buckles are quality hardware. Lever belts are a much different and unique; they can get much tighter than the prong style belts and are easier to take off as well with the drawback that adjusting them is more difficult than the prong styles. Another point to consider is that lever buckles can fail, and that is the last thing you want to happen when you are half way up with a heavy squat. The quality brands have an extremely low failure rate and usually offer a very long (if not lifetime) warranty on the buckle, but it is still something to consider. If you like to wear your belt the same tightness for all lifts, your waist doesn’t fluctuate in size frequently, and you want to get the belt as tight as possible, the lever belt is a good choice. For most people, though, I recommend a single prong belt – they are cheaper, easier to adjust, and borderline indestructible.

Since we discussed quality in this section, I’ll address price here. There is a noticeable difference in construction quality between a budget belt and a quality belt, but there is a very small price difference between them. Cheap belts have inconsistent thickness which means that the pressure will be distributed unevenly on the belt – the thinner spots won’t hold pressure as well as the thicker spots do. Although it won’t be drastic, it will affect the ability of the belt to do its job. The stitching, riveting, and buckle quality is inferior on a budget belt as well – they will eventually need to be replaced, while a quality belt will last forever (some of the manufacturer’s warranties are literally forever). Also, a quality belt gets more comfortable with use while a cheap belt just wears out. The difference in price between a budget belt and a quality belt is almost negligible. Most of the cheap brands of belts that meet our criteria are around $20 cheaper than our most affordable quality brand. It is cheaper to buy one quality belt than to buy two cheap ones, so over the life of the belt it will actually be less expensive to buy a quality belt than a cheap belt. Moral of the story? Don’t be cheap.

TL, DR

Most lifters should buy a 4” high, 10mm thick, unpadded single prong leather belt from one of the vendors listed below.

Approved manufacturer list

Pioneer Fitness - https://generalleathercraft.com/ - My personal favorite, I (currently) own 14 of their belts. They're constructed from 100% vegetable tanned leather and always made to order in the USA. They have the single widest range of options available from any brand. They also have a patent "Pioneer Cut" single prong design that allows for 1/2" adjustments rather than the standard 1" adjustments on every other belt.

Best Belts - http://www.bestbelts.net/ - All their belts are handmade custom per your order. They have excellent customer service, fast construction time for a custom belt, are quite affordable, and they are among the highest quality belt money can buy. You can’t go wrong with any of their products, but the Athlete belt is their specialty – it comes feeling broken-in straight out of the box and is made from 100% vegetable tanned leather.

Inzer - http://www.inzernet.com/ – Inzer makes a fantastic lever belt. They use Robus leather, which is a laminated design that makes the belt stiffer that all vegetable tanned leather. If you want a black belt, they have it in stock. If you want any other color, you’ll have a 2 month wait. Their product is of superior quality, but their customer service is junk. Don’t expect to be communicated with or notified when your belt ships.

Titan - http://www.titansupport.com/products/powerlifting-belts - Titan is unique in that they make both expensive exotic belts as well as very affordable quality belts. In fact, they make some of the most affordable belts on the list – the Toro Bravo. If you’re on a budget, you should consider this belt.

Bob’s Belts - http://www.bobsbelts.com/ - Another handmade belt outfit, similar to Best Belts, but a bit more expensive. Very high quality product. They use Robus leather just like Inzer.

Cardillo - http://www.cardillousa.com/products/weightbelts/ - Extremely high quality belts. The 410DL and 410GL are works of art. They're know for using garment leather instead of suede on their belts, giving them a very unique look and an extremely comfortable feel.

SBD - https://www.sbd-usa.com/product/sbd-belt/ - SBD only has a single belt: a 13mm lever belt in one colorway. They have an extremely unique patented lever however. The lever is designed such that it's fully adjustable just like a prong belt.
    Last edited by cmarti063; 12-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Here's a photo of my 10mm single prong Inzer Forever Belt:

Last edited by KBKB; 05-16-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Northernmoris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Spot taken. Will sell for reps or edit in with pics.

I own 2 Best Belts. I could not ask for more. They were custom ordered to size and color. They even will custom color the stitching. I have a Athlete cut and a 3" belt. Everything from ordering, communication and shipping is top notch.

What I would consider garbage:

Schiek with its plastic parts in the buckle

Golds gym 100% leather

Last edited by Northernmoris; 05-17-2014 at 04:21 AM.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #3 ▪██─────██▪

○---○ [[[[-----]]]] York Barbell Crew #52 [[[[-----]]]] ○---○
    ( DD Crew, Globes, Kg's, + )

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #45 ▪█─────█▪

~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for posting this!

Hopefully, we can fill the thread with reviews/pics of specific belts.

Edit:

I'll be adding a quick review of my Inzer Lever Belt later on today. Might as well keep the front page full of quality.

Inzer Lever Belt Review:

Background:
    I've been in the sport of powerlifting since 1999. I've been through a few belts in my time & this is the most current belt I own as of this review. Previous to this, I owned a double prong belt (never again) & have used single prong belts. I've owned this belt at least 7 years. I honestly can't remember when I purchased it, but that sounds about right.

The Belt:

As you can see, there's no buckle. The construction of the belt is far more simple as nothing needs to be folded over and stitched to accommodate a buckle & associated hardware. Instead, you're left with a lever, 4 holes for the lever to grip onto, and the belt itself.

The belt itself feeds the excess belt in instead of out. By this, I mean, the excess belt on a pronged belt is fed through a loop & sticks out. This isn't the case with a lever, the excess feeds under the portion of the belt where the lever locks in place. It's nice in that there's no excess belt flopping around.

Here's a shot of the 4 holes where the lever belt actually grips. Pictures are outside & inside of the belt respectively. Not much to see here. There is noticeable wear via compression, but the integrity of the belt has stayed intact.

Here's a few shots of the lever. Please excuse the oxidization. The belt was left in less than ideal conditions. These buckles do not oxidize under normal use at all.

As you can see, two of four prongs have teeth to grip while the latter two are just place holders. This system has never failed me. It locks in quickly & holds tight. The lever is held in place with two screwed. I did not upload a picture as it's fairly a straight forward concept. The screwed can be loosened or tightened with a coin, although a flat head screw driver is far easier to use.

Overall Impression:

Pros:
    1. Solidly made belt. No fraying of stitching or any other portion.
    2. Lever belt quickly & securely holds in place.
    3. Is easier to fit the belt tightly to the lifter.
    4. Much easier and faster to remove than a pronged belt.
    5. Always has the proper fit dialed in.

Cons:
    1. Not easily adjustable. May required tools or a coin.
    2. Levers have a higher tendency to fail, but this is very rare.
    3. Lever does not lock in place unless the fit is tight on the lifter.

The pros speak for themselves. I want to address number three of the cons. The lever only functions properly under tension. If the belt is not tight, with some force of the lifter pushing against it (I am not speaking of belly out, pushing the belly out, style of lifting), it will not secure itself, can & will come undone. This is something to consider. Why one wouldn't wear the belt tight enough to make the lever work properly is beyond me though. While the lever allows for an insanely tight fit, beyond that of a pronged belt, you do not have to wear it that tight. So long as the belt is snug, it will hold. I always wore the belt snuggly, not insanely tight & never had to guess if it fit properly. This saved a lot of set up time. Both equipped powerlifters, as well as those who simply want/need a belt for lifting, can benefit from the lever.

Overall, these are great belts if you need support in the big 3 (yes, this works well for those who arch hard in the bench). If you need less support for movements like overhead pressing or longer sets where a tight belt inhibits breathing, you will either want only invest in a pronged belt or buy a pronged belt for that use.
    Last edited by Synthetickiller; 05-17-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great write up, thanks!

I'll just add this:

Here is a link to a good BestBelts.net review thread by BloodType3R, several other members have contributed experiences too:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151713203

While not mentioned above, here is a link to a great review from WildTim of the cheap bodybuilding.com belt:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159318071

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great thread ! But, overseas the choices aren't as great. Here's a review for all of our U.K. and European brethren, on a belt over there.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=161911123
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    4 inch Titan lever belt and 3 inch Best Belt. I pretty much use the 3" Best Belt exclusively now.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Cleveland33 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Northernmoris View Post
    I own 2 Best Belts. I could not ask for more. They were custom ordered to size and color. They even will custom color the stitching. I have a Athlete cut and a 3" belt. Everything from ordering, communication and shipping is top notch.
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    4 inch Titan lever belt and 3 inch Best Belt. I pretty much use the 3" Best Belt exclusively now.
    I think it would be beneficial for you guys (and anyone else with multiple belts) to explain what you feel are the differences between a 3" and 4" belt, and why you have both and why you choose to use one over the other.
    Boomer Rep Crew #1
    []---[] Equipment Crew #37 []---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #3 ()---()

"You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit."
    -Wendler

squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    just thought i'd add this vid, as it clearly demonstrates the Valsalva maneuver (inhaling through the abdomen, not the chest)

Also i picked up an relatively cheap belt ($35 AUD), just thought i'd leave some feedback on the differences for anyone thinking of going down this route

even cheaper version here (most likely from the same factory) - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-L...-/161227616388

it's definitely no Inzer Lever belt, but its a 4in, 10mm belt and has a quick release buckle (works quite well)

one thing to note for anyone else looking at buying cheaper belts, is they generally aren't made from a single piece of leather (my one seems to be 3 layers) where as the good stuff like Inzer's are made from a single piece of leather (not correct - see correction in below post), so that is what you are generally paying for
    Last edited by squareznboxez; 05-20-2014 at 04:55 AM. Reason: misinformation re: inzer belts

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by squareznboxez View Post
    one thing to note for anyone else looking at buying cheaper belts, is they generally aren't made from a single piece of leather (my one seems to be 4-5 layers) where as the good stuff like Inzer's are made from a single piece of leather, so that is what you are generally paying for
    Just thought I'd respond to this part. Even an Inzer is not a single thickness of leather. A cow's skin is not that thick especially not in a large enough piece to make a belt. All 10mm+ belts will be laminated. Usually you will have two thick pieces that comprise the body of the belt and an inner and outer skin of decorative leather. This is why stitching matters.

One big difference between cheap belts and expensive ones is in the edge treatment. When those four layers are beveled slightly and properly burnished they look like one, especially when dyed black. This obviously add a couple of manufacturing steps, some of them hand work, and so a lot of cost.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250) squareznboxez has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for clarifying that, helps alot as in Aus we don't have the chance to touch and feel the belts as they are only available online for the most part

also intersting as Inzer make this claim, but its true they don't specifically claim the belts are made of one piece of leather, rather its one thickness

Taken from their website:
    All Inzer Forever Belts are one solid thickness of the finest, select, exclusive leather. It is not layers glued together cheaply to make thickness as some other brands that can come loose years later. There are no compromises in quality in the Forever Belt .

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Just thought I'd respond to this part. Even an Inzer is not a single thickness of leather. A cow's skin is not that thick especially not in a large enough piece to make a belt. All 10mm+ belts will be laminated. Usually you will have two thick pieces that comprise the body of the belt and an inner and outer skin of decorative leather. This is why stitching matters.

One big difference between cheap belts and expensive ones is in the edge treatment. When those four layers are beveled slightly and properly burnished they look like one, especially when dyed black. This obviously add a couple of manufacturing steps, some of them hand work, and so a lot of cost.
    Last edited by squareznboxez; 05-20-2014 at 12:07 AM.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Taken from their website:
    All Inzer Forever Belts are one solid thickness of the finest, select, exclusive leather. It is not layers glued together cheaply to make thickness as some other brands that can come loose years later. There are no compromises in quality in the Forever Belt .
    It appears that 14 oz leather is the thickest available and it is only 5.7 mm thick.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e...therguide.aspx
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Also look at the dimensions of a full hide, you just aren't going to be getting a lot of four inch belts out of one. The hides are also thickest in the belly region and thing as you go towards the spine.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sucks that Spud belts weren't mentioned.

My review of the Spud belt is here:

Spud Inc. Deadlift Belt Review

Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Sucks that Spud belts weren't mentioned.

My review of the Spud belt is here:

Spud Inc. Deadlift Belt Review

The Spud belts are built very well, but they aren't optimal since they have "give" due to the material they are constructed from. They are more comfortable out of the box than a stiff leather belt, but comfort shouldn't really be a concern when you are wearing the belt for less than 30 seconds at a time. They do serve a purpose for deadlifting, similar to 3" and 2.5" leather belts. I'll add a detailed post on belts for deadlifts later this week.

jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I posted this question in the other belt thread but it may have gotten overlooked because this thread was started around the same time.

I'm about to buy my first real belt and have narrowed to Inzer and Best. Disregarding lever option are there any pros to going with Inzer over Best? I'm leaning to Best for customer service reasons but just wondering if it's of equal quality. I know both are great so I can't go wrong either way but just wondering if there's any superiority with Inzer.

Originally Posted by jrv1932 View Post
    I posted this question in the other belt thread but it may have gotten overlooked because this thread was started around the same time.

I'm about to buy my first real belt and have narrowed to Inzer and Best. Disregarding lever option are there any pros to going with Inzer over Best? I'm leaning to Best for customer service reasons but just wondering if it's of equal quality. I know both are great so I can't go wrong either way but just wondering if there's any superiority with Inzer.
    Only if you want a black belt - Inzer keeps those in stock, so they ship almost immediately. If you want any other color, and you don't want a lever, get a Best Belt.

jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    Only if you want a black belt - Inzer keeps those in stock, so they ship almost immediately. If you want any other color, and you don't want a lever, get a Best Belt.
    Awesome, thanks! Yeah I like the look of the lever but don't think I really need it so I decided on a single prong. I've read a ton of reviews of both of these belts and nothing but good things as far as quality so I'm sure I'll be happy. Best Belts it is! Just need to pick the color now

haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For the shorter folks out there, is it better to get a 3" belt rather than the 4" (for squat/deads)?

I read some comments stating that for those 5'6 and under the 4" belt digs into their torso while deadlifting making it not as effective.

I'd like to pick up the best belt athlete for squats and dead, but am considered that the 4" might be too wide (digging in) for deadlifts

I realize I can buy a 4" and 3" belt, but it's not feasible at this point for me

thanks

Originally Posted by haku123 View Post
    For the shorter folks out there, is it better to get a 3" belt rather than the 4" (for squat/deads)?

I read some comments stating that for those 5'6 and under the 4" belt digs into their torso while deadlifting making it not as effective.

I'd like to pick up the best belt athlete for squats and dead, but am considered that the 4" might be too wide (digging in) for deadlifts

I realize I can buy a 4" and 3" belt, but it's not feasible at this point for me

thanks
    I promise to get a detailed post about reasons to use a belt other that a 4" belt this weekend. Long story short, almost everyone should be using a 4" belt for squats (and overhead press). 5'6" is not terribly short, so you fall in this range. Deadlifts are a different story (also the bench press and Olympic lifts). Measure the distance between the third from bottom rib (the first past your floating ribs) and your Iliac crest- that is roughly the height of the belt that is ideal for you to deadlift in. If that measurement is less than 4", you should probably get two belts. If money is an issue, get the 4" belt and I'll post about how use the 4" belt on deadlifts if it doesn't fit naturally in my big post.
    www.instagram.com/mastodonstrength/

haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) haku123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I promise to get a detailed post about reasons to use a belt other that a 4" belt this weekend. Long story short, almost everyone should be using a 4" belt for squats (and overhead press). 5'6" is not terribly short, so you fall in this range. Deadlifts are a different story (also the bench press and Olympic lifts). Measure the distance between the third from bottom rib (the first past your floating ribs) and your Iliac crest- that is roughly the height of the belt that is ideal for you to deadlift in. If that measurement is less than 4", you should probably get two belts. If money is an issue, get the 4" belt and I'll post about how use the 4" belt on deadlifts if it doesn't fit naturally in my big post.

thanks ordered an athlete belt

looking forward to your article

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The Spud belts are built very well, but they aren't optimal since they have "give" due to the material they are constructed from. They are more comfortable out of the box than a stiff leather belt, but comfort shouldn't really be a concern when you are wearing the belt for less than 30 seconds at a time. They do serve a purpose for deadlifting, similar to 3" and 2.5" leather belts. I'll add a detailed post on belts for deadlifts later this week.
    I have the 3-ply Spud belt pictured above; and it's one thick and stiff belt. I also have two leather budget belts. The Spud is breathable and more comfortable, just like you said.
    Harmonia Early Music: http://www.harmoniaearlymusic.org
    SymphonyCast: http://symphonycast.org
    Performance Today: http://performancetoday.publicradio.org
    Studio360: http://www.studio360.org
    RadioLab: http://www.radiolab.org
    TED Radio Hour: http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/
    This American Life: http://www.thisamericanlife.org
    On Being: http://www.onbeing.org
    Snap Judgment: http://www.snapjudgment.org/radio-show
    Radio IQ: http://wvtf.org
    LibriVox: https://librivox.org/

Sorry if this has been posted. I couldn't find anything but Bob's Belts is now doing lever option. Apparently they are using a third party for the lever so don't know the quality of it.

twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) twodog is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry if this has been posted. I couldn't find anything but Bob's Belts is now doing lever option. Apparently they are using a third party for the lever so don't know the quality of it.
    I'm sure that it's quality since Bob's is up there with Cardillo, Best, and Inzer. It's hard to find any bad product from this group.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

Originally Posted by twodog View Post
    I'm sure that it's quality since Bob's is up there with Cardillo, Best, and Inzer. It's hard to find any bad product from this group.
    Yeah I'm sure it is but on his site he even says he can't warranty the lever since he doesn't make it and will charge $20 for a replacement.

I'm still going to go with Best when I order my belt here shortly because of price and turnaround time but damn those Bob's Belts look top notch.

Yeah I'm sure it is but on his site he even says he can't warranty the lever since he doesn't make it and will charge $20 for a replacement.

I'm still going to go with Best when I order my belt here shortly because of price and turnaround time but damn those Bob's Belts look top notch.
    Good decision to go with Best, Dean has made my last two belts and I love 'em. Good luck !

Had someone ask for close up of the 'generic' 10mm quick release belt i picked up a few weeks back - I've used it a fair bit since then, its a solid belt, definitely not as stiff, sturdy or heavy compared to the brand name 10mm and 13mm belts

That said the support is far superior to the contoured style belts (narrower at the front) as I've been able to sample a few at my gym's box of spares

Also a side note, for those wondering with the buckle poking into the stomach, it does very slightly, but it doesn't cause any discomfort during a lift or anything to hinder its function

I'm a big fan of the quick release as a poor-man's version of the lever belt, its effortless to disconnect - would recommend

Buckle:

Belt end:

Strap:

Put together

deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) deyer77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is anyone here into leatherworking? Anyone attempted to make their own belt?

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Had someone ask for close up of the 'generic' 10mm quick release belt i picked up a few weeks back - I've used it a fair bit since then, its a solid belt, definitely not as stiff, sturdy or heavy compared to the brand name 10mm and 13mm belts
    Which belt is this exactly? Is it this one http://www.titansupport.com/products...thickness.html

Are these different leathers http://www.titansupport.com/products...thickness.html and http://www.titansupport.com/products...thickness.html different quality? They're different price.

Why is this a poor man's lever belt? Seems like it could be the best of both worlds, easy to adjust width for multiple users or a user's weight changes. Are there any belts of this type with good leather? Titans cost as much as brand name 10mm belts, around $100.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

It's distributed by a company called Morgan, who sell a variety of training gear, primarily boxing gloves, pads etc. They order from a common factory to several other brands and stamp their branding on them - hence the generic tag - found here - http://morgansports.com.au/QUICK-REL...LT_p_1670.html

I'm not knocking it, I'm a big fan of quick-release buckles, however i have seen smaller versions of it crack around the prong area

From what I've read, as long as you have an even width all the way around the belt - 3.5in/4in the belt is going to do its job - far superior to a tapered belt which is thin at the front and wide at the back - thicker and higher quality leather will mould better to your body shape over time

The Morgan one is made out of Pakistan, the Titan one is made in the USA, totally different factory and quality I'd imagine

Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Which belt is this exactly? Is it this one http://www.titansupport.com/products...thickness.html

Are these different leathers http://www.titansupport.com/products...thickness.html and http://www.titansupport.com/products...thickness.html different quality? They're different price.

Why is this a poor man's lever belt? Seems like it could be the best of both worlds, easy to adjust width for multiple users or a user's weight changes. Are there any belts of this type with good leather? Titans cost as much as brand name 10mm belts, around $100.