Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What should my next purchase be? Barbell/weight set or Dip Station

Currently 295 pounds, so pretty heavy and new to lifting, I can't lift too much before i'm done right now. I currently have dumbbells and extensive knowledge of bodyweight exercises.

I'm pretty pleased with my dumbbell set right now and don't think I want to jump into barbell exercises anytime soon because of where my weight is at. So i'm leaning towards a dip station, also because dips are a great exercise in my opinion.

Am I wrong though? Would a barbell set with 100lb weights be better?

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you have a bench? That would be the next thing to get if you haven't already.

A barbell, plates, and power rack would be next, but only if you are going to use them. You can do a few movements with just a bar and plates, but the rack adds a ton of functionality. If you do get a bar and plates, you want a 45 lb olympic bar with 2" sleeves and 2x45, 2x25, 4x10, 2x5, and 2x2.5 lb plates minimum.

A standalone dip station isn't usually on most people's must-buy list because you can get a dip attachment for a power rack. Similarly, pull ups (or lat pull downs) are an important exercise, but often accomplished with rack attachments.

If you really just want to incorporate dips and you want to hold off on a big investment into other equipment, here’s a link to a station that I picked up recently and am enjoying quite a bit. You could easily sell it later if you buy a power rack and dip attachment.

https://xmarkfitness.com/products/dip-station

Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Steven6Shredz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I forgot to mention I do have an adjustable standalone bench, no rack or anything on it. Was thinking the same thing though about a power rack. That will be my last purchase after the dip station and barbell/weight set.

I should have all in a few months, damn bills. But yeah i'm leaning towards a dip station. I didn't know they came on power racks though, knew they came on power towers. I might look into that thank you.

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you are considering a 100 lb weight set, are you sure you are strong enough to do dips at 295lbs?

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    If you are considering a 100 lb weight set, are you sure you are strong enough to do dips at 295lbs?
    I got in one full rep twice before when I was still 315-320

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    For a home gym and at such a high bodyweight, I'd be more inclined to have you purchase a few different pairs of kettlebells. Dips at your bodyweight may be problematic.

If you were my client, I'd much rather have you work towards mastering KB and bodyweight movements, building core and connective strength while losing weight.

Depending on your strength level, I'd pick up a few kettlebells that include an 12, 16, 24, and 32kg. With that, you will have enough equipment for a year of training no problem.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

Originally Posted by SuicideGripMe View Post
    For a home gym and at such a high bodyweight, I'd be more inclined to have you purchase a few different pairs of kettlebells. Dips at your bodyweight may be problematic.

If you were my client, I'd much rather have you work towards mastering KB and bodyweight movements, building core and connective strength while losing weight.

Depending on your strength level, I'd pick up a few kettlebells that include an 12, 16, 24, and 32kg. With that, you will have enough equipment for a year of training no problem.
    Yeah, fair point. I didn't realize how dumb it sounded doing dips at this bodyweight until I posted. Maybe i'll hold off on both for now. Not familiar with kettlebells, will youtube some vids now.

Woah yeah kettlebells look pretty awesome
    I remember imitading kettlebell swings with dumbbells back in the day. I really like the kettlebell press for shoulders cause I have a lot of trouble getting form down for shoulder movements.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Steven6Shredz View Post
    Woah yeah kettlebells look pretty awesome
    I remember imitading kettlebell swings with dumbbells back in the day. I really like the kettlebell press for shoulders cause I have a lot of trouble getting form down for shoulder movements.
    Mark Wildman, Dan John, and Lebe Stark all have an incredible amount of free stuff on their youtube channels.

For roughly six months, I only worked out with 2 16 kg kettlebells and 2 24 kg kettlebells. When I went back to the gym, I could still bench the same amount and front squat the same amount and lost about 5kg. You can do a lot.

If you are strapped for cash, a 12kg, 16kg, and 24kg may be a good start (you can these pretty cheap from rogue).
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel