Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31
    NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by KoolDJVader View Post
    LOL, yep probably owned too many belts.

Have you experienced any movement between the layers of your treated belt? After a while, my belt felt like the layers were separating. I got it double stitched so it probably wasnt going to fall apart but but bits of the adhesive was coming off through the holes. I wondered if the oil treatment compromises the glue a bit. I think maybe because I clamp the belt on a power rack to help get it on and off stresses the belt and pulls the adhesive off from the leather. I never asked Matt to look at it because I stopped using it and too lazy to put it in a box and send it back but may one day. (My untreated 10mm which I use the same method hasnt had this issue)
    Yeah. I remember seeing some guy's belt on a SS forum way back and telling you about it. That was one reason why I was so hesitant on buying a belt from them. Plus seeing how their suede belts were more prone to peeling whereas the Inzers and Best Belts don't really have that issue. Mine has been like that from day 1 and you can see the bottom layer protruding out a bit from the picture. For the single prong, the layers are always bending backwards and sliding against each other every time it is being used. So I can see how that can be problematic many many years from now. I think it's a non issue for the lever belt though since all I'm doing is flicking the lever mechanism on and off.

PRs
    472.5/365/612.5
    Front Squat: 455
    Overhead Press: 215

KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NavyRoll View Post
    Yeah. I remember seeing some guy's belt on a SS forum way back and telling you about it. That was one reason why I was so hesitant on buying a belt from them. Plus seeing how their suede belts were more prone to peeling whereas the Inzers and Best Belts don't really have that issue. Mine has been like that from day 1 and you can see the bottom layer protruding out a bit from the picture. For the single prong, the layers are always bending backwards and sliding against each other every time it is being used. So I can see how that can be problematic many many years from now. I think it's a non issue for the lever belt though since all I'm doing is flicking the lever mechanism on and off.

Ah yes, I remember you referencing the SS post, think Rippetoe deleted that thread over some petty feud.

Anyway, yeah my belt ended up looking like that with the uneven layers and the sliding around of the layers was progressively getting more pronounced in a year's time. I really loved that belt at first and like you said, probably may not be an issue with a lever since you don't need to bend any part of the belt to get it on. But probably wouldn't recommend a treated prong belt anymore

NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NavyRoll is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ah yes, I remember you referencing the SS post, think Rippetoe deleted that thread over some petty feud.

Anyway, yeah my belt ended up looking like that with the uneven layers and the sliding around of the layers was progressively getting more pronounced in a year's time. I really loved that belt at first and like you said, probably may not be an issue with a lever since you don't need to bend any part of the belt to get it on. But probably wouldn't recommend a treated prong belt anymore
    I've always been curious, does untreated belt share the same smell that the treated leather belt has?

I know your untreated leather belt actually came in looking darker and visually almost identical to your other treated belt, which surprised me. Kind of makes me wonder if Matt ever makes a mistake and sends out an untreated belt instead of a treated one every once in a while.
    PRs
    472.5/365/612.5

KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000) KoolDJVader is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've always been curious, does untreated belt share the same smell that the treated leather belt has?

I know your untreated leather belt actually came in looking darker and visually almost identical to your other treated belt, which surprised me. Kind of makes me wonder if Matt ever makes a mistake and sends out an untreated belt instead of a treated one every once in a while.
    Yeah, the untreated belt had that strong leather smell. You're right, can't tell which belt is treated and untreated just by sight or smell. But definitely by feel as the 13mm treated leather belt is way more pliable than the 10mm untreated. I have an untreated 13mm lever belt and even though it will likely never get all that pliable (which is why I wanted it for max support), after it broke in, its really not any less comfortable than a treated belt since its high quality leather.

Yeah, the untreated belt had that strong leather smell. You're right, can't tell which belt is treated and untreated just by sight or smell. But definitely by feel as the 13mm treated leather belt is way more pliable than the 10mm untreated. I have an untreated 13mm lever belt and even though it will likely never get all that pliable (which is why I wanted it for max support), after it broke in, its really not any less comfortable than a treated belt since its high quality leather.
    My brother recently ordered a treated 6.5mm single prong and it has that very distinct general leathercraft smell. His is way stronger than mine though, to the point that it is filling our entire living room with that leathery smell. I definitely remember mine wasn't that strong when I had initially received it. So I've been wondering how the treating process goes when manufacturing a belt and whether if what I have is actually an untreated belt or a halfassed treated one lol. Interesting to hear that both treated and untreated share the same aroma though.
    PRs
    472.5/365/612.5

My brother recently ordered a treated 6.5mm single prong and it has that very distinct general leathercraft smell. His is way stronger than mine though, to the point that it is filling our entire living room with that leathery smell. I definitely remember mine wasn't that strong when I had initially received it. So I've been wondering how the treating process goes when manufacturing a belt and whether if what I have is actually an untreated belt or a halfassed treated one lol. Interesting to hear that both treated and untreated share the same aroma though.
    It may be just in my head but the 13mm untreated lever belt that I bought during their last sale (the pre Chistmas one this fall) seemed to have a stronger leather smell than all the previous times I ordered their leather belt.(if my memory holds....I bought the treated 13mm single prong in early 2017, the untreated 10mm single prong around December 2017 and my first 13mm untreated lever sometime mid 2018)

I know the smell eventually dissipates so maybe they're selling more belt these days than a couple of years ago so the leather is "newer" in the recent belts.

xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi guys,

I'm currently researching info and shopping for my first belt. I decided to purchase one after hurting my back (lumbar sprain) just before Christmas.

Because I never used one before, I'm trying to buy one at my local fitness gear store (fitnessdepot). They have 3 models that seems to align somewhat with the OP's recommendations but only one of the three is 10mm tick (basically a pioneer single prong clone, oiled leather, 4" wide) , the other two are 8mm tick (suede, one dual prong 4" wide, the other lever lock 3.75" wide).

I was wondering how much of a difference the 8mm vs 10mm would make and if 3.75" vs 4" would make? I'm planning to try them on and see which fits the best but having more knowledge on the subject in advance would potentially help me having a easier time picking the right one in the store.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by xdoomhammerx View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm currently researching info and shopping for my first belt. I decided to purchase one after hurting my back (lumbar sprain) just before Christmas.

Because I never used one before, I'm trying to buy one at my local fitness gear store (fitnessdepot). They have 3 models that seems to align somewhat with the OP's recommendations but only one of the three is 10mm tick (basically a pioneer single prong clone, oiled leather, 4" wide) , the other two are 8mm tick (suede, one dual prong 4" wide, the other lever lock 3.75" wide).

I was wondering how much of a difference the 8mm vs 10mm would make and if 3.75" vs 4" would make? I'm planning to try them on and see which fits the best but having more knowledge on the subject in advance would potentially help me having a easier time picking the right one in the store.

Thanks in advance.
    The 3.75" vs 4" shouldn't make much of a difference, probably won't even notice (I think my first Best Belts Athlete Cut belt was closer to 3.75" than 4"). The 10mm belt if its all leather (and good leather at that) should be more supportive than the 8mm suede (if its just single suede then the belt will have ~6.5mm of leather) but 8mm suede will most likely give you all the support you need or want (again if its good leather).

Probably wouldn't bother with a double prong, out of all the belts I would probably get the 10mm

xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xdoomhammerx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The 3.75" vs 4" shouldn't make much of a difference, probably won't even notice (I think my first Best Belts Athlete Cut belt was closer to 3.75" than 4"). The 10mm belt if its all leather (and good leather at that) should be more supportive than the 8mm suede (if its just single suede then the belt will have ~6.5mm of leather) but 8mm suede will most likely give you all the support you need or want (again if its good leather).

Probably wouldn't bother with a double prong, out of all the belts I would probably get the 10mm
    Thanks for the information. I purposely avoided mentioning the price of the belts as to not influence your recommendations.
    The suede 4" wide, 8mm thick, double-prong belt is $49 CAD fitnessdepot.ca/J11QMO30971139/powerlifting-belt-suede-2-prong-black-medium.html
    The suede 3.75", wide 8mm thick lever-lock belt is $69 CAD fitnessdepot.ca/J11QMO30971139/powerlifting-belt-suede-lever-lock-black-s-m.html
    The leather 4" wide, 10mm thick, single-pring belt is $98 CAD fitnessdepot.ca/J11QMO30971139/nl-powerlift-belt-deluxe-oil-2tone-medium.html

Since it's my first one, I'm not 100% sure I want to spend near $100 on it, but I'll see how they look and feel when I go try them on. Buy once, cry once I guess...
    Last edited by xdoomhammerx; 02-06-2020 at 12:52 PM.

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not sure the belt will help all that much with your back issue....

Originally Posted by sera310 View Post
    Not sure the belt will help all that much with your back issue....
    My back is almost totally recovered. I just want an extra insurance to not get hurt again while doing heavy deadlifts. (strongly recommended by my physiotherapist)

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xdoomhammerx View Post
    My back is almost totally recovered. I just want an extra insurance to not get hurt again while doing heavy deadlifts. (strongly recommended by my physiotherapist)
    It's worth noting that some people aren't able to comfortably get into position and deadlift with a 4" belt. It's entirely dependent on the person - for example, longer torso is more likely to find 4" comfortable. It may work great for you, but something to be aware of, especially with your back injury history. The belt could do more harm than good if your form suffers. In that case a 2" or 3" belt might work better, but will also be less supportive.

Hi guys, I ended up buying the lever-lock suede belt. However when trying it out and comparing to the other two belts, I realized that the description was wrong. It was not 3.75 inches but 4 inches wide. it was the one that fitted the best and the lever-lock will be easier to tighten/release between sets. Now I need to try it out at my next squat day (still not cleared for deadlifts yet).

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge. It was really helpfull.