Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10) helhedded is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for making this thread. I've been shopping around for about a month and settled on Best Belts. I sent my order in yesterday and I got a confirmation last night with an estimated ship date of around the first of July. I'm really looking forward to getting it and I'll make sure to give it a nice review/comparison to my current el-cheapo Valeo 4" belt.
    more/more/more

jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was all set to order a Best Belt and had called a couple of times and left messages. I gave it a week and never got a call back. I'm sure I could have ordered online but I wanted a multi color belt. Even to this day they haven't called back. Not sure what happened but I know that Dean and Jackie have had some medical issues in the past and maybe something was happening with that and they were unavailable. I will not hold this against them because of all of the great reviews and may order a belt from them in the future, but because I did not hear from them I decided to go with Bob's Belts. I originally decided against them mainly because of the 6-10 week shipping time. The price is more as well but I was willing to pay a little more for top quality .

I exchanged some emails and calls with Julie Morris and she was extremely helpful with everything. She offered to send me a multi colored belt that they had on hand at a discount. I was tempted because it was really nice but decided to wait and customize my own. Bob's currently isn't doing multi colored belts because they got backed up from a fire that burnt their facility down but he said he'd go ahead and make me one and put a rush on it to get it out asap. I ordered it last Saturday and I'm hoping it will get here in the next couple of weeks.

As soon as I get it and use it I will post up a review with pics since its tough to find any reviews for them. I got a 10mm single prong. I was tempted to go with their lever but judging by pics on their site it looks like they use the Lifting Large levers and won't warranty it. I think they are only making lever belts because they've gotten many requests but I figured I'd just go with what they've been doing well for almost 40 years and get the prong.

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jrv1932 View Post
    I was all set to order a Best Belt and had called a couple of times and left messages. I gave it a week and never got a call back. I'm sure I could have ordered online but I wanted a multi color belt. Even to this day they haven't called back. Not sure what happened but I know that Dean and Jackie have had some medical issues in the past and maybe something was happening with that and they were unavailable. I will not hold this against them because of all of the great reviews and may order a belt from them in the future, but because I did not hear from them I decided to go with Bob's Belts. I originally decided against them mainly because of the 6-10 week shipping time. The price is more as well but I was willing to pay a little more for top quality .

I exchanged some emails and calls with Julie Morris and she was extremely helpful with everything. She offered to send me a multi colored belt that they had on hand at a discount. I was tempted because it was really nice but decided to wait and customize my own. Bob's currently isn't doing multi colored belts because they got backed up from a fire that burnt their facility down but he said he'd go ahead and make me one and put a rush on it to get it out asap. I ordered it last Saturday and I'm hoping it will get here in the next couple of weeks.

As soon as I get it and use it I will post up a review with pics since its tough to find any reviews for them. I got a 10mm single prong. I was tempted to go with their lever but judging by pics on their site it looks like they use the Lifting Large levers and won't warranty it. I think they are only making lever belts because they've gotten many requests but I figured I'd just go with what they've been doing well for almost 40 years and get the prong.
    Bummer about Best Belt's - I had an issue with not getting a call back but ordered online as I wasn't going for a multi-color. Looking forward to pics and reviews of your new belt. I think you will be perfectly happy with the prong.

jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jrv1932 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by aclockworkoi View Post
    Bummer about Best Belt's - I had an issue with not getting a call back but ordered online as I wasn't going for a multi-color. Looking forward to pics and reviews of your new belt. I think you will be perfectly happy with the prong.
    yeah I have no issues with Best. I know they are a small family run business and things happen. They have a ton of great reviews so I know they are a good company. I was thinking of just ordering online but I really wanted multicolor . Once I contacted Bob's and they said they'd get it out quick I just decided to go with them since I know the quality from any of the top manufactures would be great.

BTW thanks for the advice on the 10mm . I was really trying to convince myself to get a 13mm but you and a couple others convinced me 10 was fine and I think I made the right choice.

CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yeah I have no issues with Best. I know they are a small family run business and things happen. They have a ton of great reviews so I know they are a good company. I was thinking of just ordering online but I really wanted multicolor . Once I contacted Bob's and they said they'd get it out quick I just decided to go with them since I know the quality from any of the top manufactures would be great.

BTbestbelt1.jpgbestbelt2.PNGbestbelt3.jpgbestbelt4.jpgW thanks for the advice on the 10mm . I was really trying to convince myself to get a 13mm but you and a couple others convinced me 10 was fine and I think I made the right choice.
    Sorry you were not able to get a hold of bestbelts. It seems it may be easier to get a hold of them via email then phone. I ordered mine online and got a reply from them via email within a day. They are a small family own business and can understand that sometimes messages may get missed. Unfortunately it happened with you. Fortunately, you are getting a really good belt and will be looking forward to your review since you are right, there are not many reviews on bob's belts.

I just got my belt from bestbelts (10 mm athletic cut) and have to say that they are quick, took about 2 weeks (I got it a week earlier than they anticipated it to be shipped which was an awesome surprise).

The belt is really nice and seems to made very well and durable. as others have said, there are 9 holes, and the 5th hole is the one you measure to your waist size, so you can go 4 holes looser or tighter. someone mentioned to maybe consider going a 1/2 to 1" smaller than your measured size and I think that would probably be ideal. I haven't used the belt much yet since I am not quite on my heavy days yet (won't really use the belt until I get to my heaviest set on my heavy day). however, I have used it alittle and will use the 7th hole for squats since that seems to be tight enough and supportive. I still have 2 more holes to go smaller, but don't think I will be able to breath if I go any smaller.

The belt is relatively comfortable (I don't have anything to really compare it too). doesn't seem to dig into my hips or ribs (that was my concern with the inzer belts and that they were really stiff until you broke them in). I have the single prong and it is actually not very hard to buckle and unbuckle (which was my other concern about a buckle compared to a lever).

I am very happy with my purchase and probably would go with them again if I needed a belt.

pics are below. sorry I still am not smart enough to imbed them.

thanks to everyone in this link for their great input on belts. I was stuck between inzer and best belts. since this was my first real belt, I decided it would be safer to go with a single prong since didn't know how much I would have to adjust th belt (and did not want to fiddle with a lever). seems if you want a prong belt, bestbelts is the way to go. I think if decide to eventually get a lever belt, then I will go with inzer, but I think I will be happy with my bestbelt for awhile.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #57 []---[]

Originally Posted by CYMlift View Post
    Sorry you were not able to get a hold of bestbelts. It seems it may be easier to get a hold of them via email then phone. I ordered mine online and got a reply from them via email within a day. They are a small family own business and can understand that sometimes messages may get missed. Unfortunately it happened with you. Fortunately, you are getting a really good belt and will be looking forward to your review since you are right, there are not many reviews on bob's belts.

I just got my belt from bestbelts (10 mm athletic cut) and have to say that they are quick, took about 2 weeks (I got it a week earlier than they anticipated it to be shipped which was an awesome surprise).

The belt is really nice and seems to made very well and durable. as others have said, there are 9 holes, and the 5th hole is the one you measure to your waist size, so you can go 4 holes looser or tighter. someone mentioned to maybe consider going a 1/2 to 1" smaller than your measured size and I think that would probably be ideal. I haven't used the belt much yet since I am not quite on my heavy days yet (won't really use the belt until I get to my heaviest set on my heavy day). however, I have used it alittle and will use the 7th hole for squats since that seems to be tight enough and supportive. I still have 2 more holes to go smaller, but don't think I will be able to breath if I go any smaller.

The belt is relatively comfortable (I don't have anything to really compare it too). doesn't seem to dig into my hips or ribs (that was my concern with the inzer belts and that they were really stiff until you broke them in). I have the single prong and it is actually not very hard to buckle and unbuckle (which was my other concern about a buckle compared to a lever).

I am very happy with my purchase and probably would go with them again if I needed a belt.

pics are below. sorry I still am not smart enough to imbed them.

thanks to everyone in this link for their great input on belts. I was stuck between inzer and best belts. since this was my first real belt, I decided it would be safer to go with a single prong since didn't know how much I would have to adjust th belt (and did not want to fiddle with a lever). seems if you want a prong belt, bestbelts is the way to go. I think if decide to eventually get a lever belt, then I will go with inzer, but I think I will be happy with my bestbelt for awhile.
    Nice belt! Yeah no doubt Best makes a top notch belt that will probably last you as long as you lift. I had contemplated the lever and almost went with Inzer or Titan longhorn and then Bob's lever belt once I saw they started making them. Would be convenient to just undo the lever between sets. In the end I chose single prong because I just feel the prongs are better quality in general . Not that I lift enough weight to break a lever but I know there have been quite a few broken. I've never heard of a prong from a top manufacture breaking. I still may get a cheaper lever belt like the Lifting Large belt to use as well.

CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CYMlift has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Nice belt! Yeah no doubt Best makes a top notch belt that will probably last you as long as you lift. I had contemplated the lever and almost went with Inzer or Titan longhorn and then Bob's lever belt once I saw they started making them. Would be convenient to just undo the lever between sets. In the end I chose single prong because I just feel the prongs are better quality in general . Not that I lift enough weight to break a lever but I know there have been quite a few broken. I've never heard of a prong from a top manufacture breaking. I still may get a cheaper lever belt like the Lifting Large belt to use as well.
    Agree, levers would be nice, but single prongs work. of course can never have too much gear, so having another belt as a lever would be nice = ).

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Any practical difference between finished/oiled and suede leather? Or is it just a top finish for looks? Does one get dirtier? Absorb sweat less?
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Any practical difference between finished/oiled and suede leather? Or is it just a top finish for looks? Does one get dirtier? Absorb sweat less?
    It's just the top layer it affects. Chalk shows a lot on the sued (I like the look, personally) but not nearly as much on the oiled leather. Finished leather is typically more expensive than suede, but both materials function the same as an outer layer.
    www.instagram.com/mastodonstrength/

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Help! I can't deadlift in my 4" belt!

As discussed in the original post of this thread, a weightlifting belt is an extremely useful tool for training. A 4 leather belt in 10-13 mm thickness is ideal for almost everyone for squats, but may not work for everyone during their pulls, specifically if you are a conventional deadlifter. Another quote from Mark Rippetoe:

The squat is quite obviously different from the deadlift. The squat starts at the top, loads eccentrically into the bottom, and rebounds back up, while the deadlift starts from the bottom concentrically. The squatter gets squeezed into the bottom of the range of motion with help from the load, while the deadlifter has to assume the hardest position of the lift unloaded, with no help from the weight at all. If the squatter wears a belt that jams up the bottom of the ROM, good! It aids the rebound. But the same jamming can interfere with the deadlifter's ability to squeeze into the most efficient position to pull from, with no help from a loaded descent, creating an incomplete back-set and a power leak even before the pull begins.

Granted, a wider belt provides better abdominal containment and more uniform hoop tension than a narrower belt. But if it keeps you from getting into the correct position to pull effectively, it hardly matters that it works better for part of the job. If you can't get set correctly, you can't pull correctly.

The case for a second belt

If this situation applies to you, the ideal option is to purchase a narrower belt that allows correct setup of the deadlift (or clean/snatch/Romanian deadlift/stiff-leg deadlift, etc). There are options to acquire 2.5-3 belts from a few of the vendors on the Approved Vendor List in the first post. Dean of Best Belts has both sizes available at an excellent price.

An alternative to a second leather belt is to pick up a Spud Inc deadlift belt. Although nylon belts are generally not as effective as leather at creating hoop tension since nylon is pliable, it is this exact reason that you may consider this for your pulling belt. If a narrower leather belt is still difficult for you to get into position with, a slightly more pliable material could be required. This belt comes in two thicknesses, a 2-ply and a 3-ply. It makes sense to get the thickest belt that still lets you get into position, so the 3-ply should be the first option if this is the route you decide to go down.

In case you only want one belt

A less ideal option to picking up a second belt is to learn to use the 4 belt in a modified manner such that you are able to are still able to get into position and get support out of the belt at the same time. The easiest, though least effective, method of wearing the belt differently for pulls is to simply wear it a notch looser. This is sub-optimal since it lessens the effectiveness of the belt in general, but it is better than no belt at all.

The second option is to wear the belt higher up on the waist. This is a better option than wearing a looser belt for most people. This is Eric Lilliebridge deadlifting with his standard 4 belt noticeably higher on his waist.

Finally, if you have a partner, you can wear the belt backwards. You will need someone else to put it on and take it off for you, but this is possibly the best of the three options for those that dont have a second belt and cant wear their belt in the standard fashion for their pulls.

TL, DR

If you can only have one belt, it should be a 4 belt as discussed in the first post. If you have the need for a different option for your pulls, buy a 2.5 or 3 leather belt from Best Belts, or a deadlift belt from Spud Inc. If you cant afford a second quality belt or just dont feel like toting a second belt around, wear your belt a notch looser, a bit higher, or backwards.

djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I want to know if anyone has gotten their hands on the 2.5 inch Bestbelt? I know some of you have the 3 inch belt, it would be great to get some feedback on pulling exercises and also state your height since that affects the comfort of the belt. I'm not sure if there are any disadvantages to a 2.5 inch belt when used specifically for pulling exercises vs a 3 inch belt.
    ▪██─────██▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #48 ▪██─────██▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #34 ▪[M]====[6]▪

Originally Posted by djslik916 View Post
    I want to know if anyone has gotten their hands on the 2.5 inch Bestbelt? I know some of you have the 3 inch belt, it would be great to get some feedback on pulling exercises and also state your height since that affects the comfort of the belt. I'm not sure if there are any disadvantages to a 2.5 inch belt when used specifically for pulling exercises vs a 3 inch belt.
    The disadvantage of a 2.5" instead of a 3" is that the 3" offers 20% more support than the 2.5" belt If both would fit. What is the distance between your Iliac crest and your false ribs? I'd use that as a general guide.

Just got my Bob's belt in, less than 2 weeks from order date. Was pleasantly surprised! Didn't actually expect it until next week. Awesome looking belt and quality!

Will post a review after a couple of sessions

Just got my Bob's belt in, less than 2 weeks from order date. Was pleasantly surprised! Didn't actually expect it until next week. Awesome looking belt and quality!

Will post a review after a couple of sessions
    Very nice. Looking forward to your review. It's always a nice surprise when you get something earlier then expected. Enjoy the belt.

djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000) djslik916 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    The disadvantage of a 2.5" instead of a 3" is that the 3" offers 20% more support than the 2.5" belt If both would fit. What is the distance between your Iliac crest and your false ribs? I'd use that as a general guide.
    Just measured and its 4 inches between iliac crest and false rib, would a 3 inch belt allow enough range of motion to setup for deadlifts and power cleans.

Just measured and its 4 inches between iliac crest and false rib, would a 3 inch belt allow enough range of motion to setup for deadlifts and power cleans.
    I think it really depends on you and don't think measurements are going to help much. If you can try a 4" belt to see how it feels would be the best way to see how it may feel. Try to see if a local store has one to try one on. While it will not be an exact replica of a belt you may get, but it will at least give you and idea of what it may feel like.

For example, I am slightly shorter then 5'7" and my best belt is 4". I don't think my torso is long or short, average. My belt feels fine for squats. I just used it for stiff leg DL and it felt ok. Haven't used it for DL yet, but I don't think it would be a prob per se since the SLDL went ok. You are taller and unless you have a short torso, I don't think you need a thinner belt than 4".

Haven't used it for DL yet, but I don't think it would be a prob per se since the SLDL went ok. You are taller and unless you have a short torso, I don't think you need a thinner belt than 4".
    Setting up for a deadlift or an Olympic lift is different than for an SLDL. Ideally, the 4" belt would work for both pulls and squats, but sometimes it doesn't work that way, hence my long post about deadlifts.

Have you tried your 4" belt yet? You could possibly get away with it, but if it doesn't work out, get the 3" belt. For reference, I'm 6'0", but only have 2 3/4" between my Iliac crest and my false ribs, so my second belt option would be the 2.5" belt. Make sense?

Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    Setting up for a deadlift or an Olympic lift is different than for an SLDL. Ideally, the 4" belt would work for both pulls and squats, but sometimes it doesn't work that way, hence my long post about deadlifts.

Have you tried your 4" belt yet? You could possibly get away with it, but if it doesn't work out, get the 3" belt. For reference, I'm 6'0", but only have 2 3/4" between my Iliac crest and my false ribs, so my second belt option would be the 2.5" belt. Make sense?
    I would respectfully have to disagree on your point that the set up is different. the main difference between the SLDL and a DL is that in a SLDL, your knees are as straight as your hamstring flexibility allows you (aka, leg can be bent, but needs to be stiff), therefore the bar is not as close to your shins as a regular DL (I am talking about a stiff leg DL and not a straight leg DL). if your hamstrings are very tight, your stiff leg DL may not be that much different in position as your regular DL. the difference is that you are pulling with your hamstrings and glutes with the Stiff leg and not using your quads like the DL. The stiff leg DL is pretty much like a Romanian DL with the difference that it starts from the floor like a DL and not from the top like the Romanian.

I don't think measuring the space you have between your ribs and the iliac crest is a great way to tell whether one size belt is going to help vs a thinner belt. it really depends on feel per lifter. I know you are trying to help, but giving generalized guidelines can give people a incorrect idea of what to look for.

it unfortunately comes down to trying a belt size and seeing if it works and I do not think there is any other way around it. I think I have alittle less space then you do from what you are measuring below and I do not think my 4" belt is an issue.

I would respectfully have to disagree on your point that the set up is different. the main difference between the SLDL and a DL is that in a SLDL, your knees are as straight as your hamstring flexibility allows you (aka, leg can be bent, but needs to be stiff), therefore the bar is not as close to your shins as a regular DL (I am talking about a stiff leg DL and not a straight leg DL). if your hamstrings are very tight, your stiff leg DL may not be that much different in position as your regular DL. the difference is that you are pulling with your hamstrings and glutes with the Stiff leg and not using your quads like the DL. The stiff leg DL is pretty much like a Romanian DL with the difference that it starts from the floor like a DL and not from the top like the Romanian.

I don't think measuring the space you have between your ribs and the iliac crest is a great way to tell whether one size belt is going to help vs a thinner belt. it really depends on feel per lifter. I know you are trying to help, but giving generalized guidelines can give people a incorrect idea of what to look for.

it unfortunately comes down to trying a belt size and seeing if it works and I do not think there is any other way around it. I think I have alittle less space then you do from what you are measuring below and I do not think my 4" belt is an issue.
    I intend no disrespect to you either, and would like to continue the discussion to address your points and hopefully clarify a few things.

The lifts in question are all detailed quite well in Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition. For all intents and purposes, the terms "Stiff Legged Deadlift" and "Straight Legged Deadlift" are interchangeable, with the term "straight" being a slight misnomer since your knee joint should be unlocked but in extension. This is the only way to avoid use of the quadriceps and shift focus to the hamstrings. This places your hips as high as possible and creates a relatively open angle between your torso and thighs. Your hips are lower in the deadlift since your knees are bent to allow the use of the quadriceps to push off the floor. This creates a more acute angle between your torso and thighs, bringing your gut and your quads much closer together, often touching even without a belt (depending on specific body anatomy and composition, of course). This is where the belt affects the ability of the lifter to properly set up in a deadlift that wouldn't affect setting up in a SLDL - your stomach and legs never touch in a SLDL but usually do in a deadlift. The exception to this is for skinny folks - you are only 133 lbs, and I believe that could be why you don't notice this effect. Furthermore, I wouldn't recommend using a belt for SLDLs for a variety of reasons, but mostly since this is a submaximal lift so torso rigidity should not be a limiting factor for the lift.

Moving on, the term "thinner" is being incorrectly applied here - thinner would mean selecting a 10mm over a 13mm or a 6 mm instead of a 10 mm. "Shorter" or "narrower" is the term you are looking for. This is not an attack, just wanting to make sure we are discussing with uniform terminology. To restate, a lifter should always attempt to use a 4" belt before resorting to a shorter belt since it most effectively performs the function the belt is designed for. With a lifter that is unable to assume a proper starting position in a pull with a standard 4" belt, the problem is typically related to incorrect proprioception about the degree to which the lower back is extended, causing the lifter to not pull out all flexion from the lumbar spine before initiating the lift. A belt that sits above the anterior superior iliac spines will alleviate this problem. Everyone's natural waist is a bit different, which is why it is recommended to try the 4" first. If it doesn't work effectively, the phenomenon described above is most readily fixed by moving the belt above the ASIS, which is most effectively accomplished by using a shorter belt. Since we are trying to clear the iliac crest, and since most lifters have the top of their belt rest just below the false ribs (not the floating ribs, which are technically also false) for several reasons, this measurement is a very simple way to estimate the tallest effective belt if the 4" doesn't work.

I would like to reemphasize that the narrower your waist, the less likely this is to be an issue. The taller your torso and the shorter your legs, the less likely this is to be an issue.
    Last edited by cmarti063; 06-28-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: small grammatical correction

I just used my 4" belt for the first time last night and it's my first "real" belt and in no way was it uncomfortable or hinder my Deadlift. I felt a slight pinch around my hips but nothing that caused pain , especially being a brand new heavy duty belt on my first use. I'm not tall at 5'8" but do have a slightly longer torso. My belt is 10mm. I would definitely suggest to find a 4" belt to try before you go and buy a shorter belt.

I just used my 4" belt for the first time last night and it's my first "real" belt and in no way was it uncomfortable or hinder my Deadlift. I felt a slight pinch around my hips but nothing that caused pain , especially being a brand new heavy duty belt on my first use. I'm not tall at 5'8" but do have a slightly longer torso. My belt is 10mm. I would definitely suggest to find a 4" belt to try before you go and buy a shorter belt.
    This is exactly what I recommend doing. The more important aspect for deadlifting than comfort is ensuring that you can still properly set your lower lumbar before initiating the lift. Filming your lift can help if you don't have a good training partner.

I have a spuds 4 inch belt and moving it up higher gave me enough room to deadlift. I haven't ordered my bestbelt yet, but I'll report back when I do.

[b]Bobs Belt Review[/b]

Ok as promised here is the review and some pics of my new belt.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread the customer service was excellent. I dealt with Julie Morris and she could not have been more helpful. I asked if there was any way I could get the belt a little quicker than what the site says(6-10weeks) and she said she would do the best she could and they would put a rush on it. They did have a couple of belts on hand that she offered to send asap at a discount but I wanted to customize my own. They currently aren't offering multi colored belts on the website due to their backlog but Bob said he would go ahead and do it for me. I ordered my belt on Saturday June 14 and received it on Tuesday June 24.

Bob's now makes lever belts and I sort of regret not getting a lever now but I went with a single prong 10mm belt. Upon inspection the belt looked absolutely perfect. High quality in every aspect. It is fairly stiff but not quite as stiff as I imagined(this is my first real belt). I can't wait until it's broken in to see how if feels and forms to my body.

I use it for squats, deads, rows, and shoulder presses and there is no discomfort at all. Slight pinching on my hip area on Deadlifts but nothing that caused any pain. Makes me feel that maybe a 13mm would have been fine had I went for that. It's extremely supportive in all lifts and I just can't imagine a better quality belt.

Only bad thing and it's my fault. I originally ordered a size 36 as that's my current measurement but I called and changed to 34 before they started since I'm currently cutting. 36 would have been the better option for me. This belt actually comes with 12 holes and at its tightest I'm at the 8th hole. That still leaves some room but 36 would have been much better.

One thing I'll be keeping an eye on as far as quality. I've seen a lot of reviews for some of the better belts and have seen things like suede coming apart at the tip, heavy stretching on the suede, and some wear on the holes that are used. Not big issues but I know ironwill has mentioned that he has a Cardillo belt that basically has no issues after almost 20 years even in the holes and that is amazing, whereas I know some of these other belts had these issues in a few weeks or months. I paid $134 for this belt which is right up there with Cardillo so my expectations would be that this holds up just as well if properly taken care of. After only a few uses this belt looks like it will last forever!!

Once again anyone looking for a high quality belt and is willing to pay a little more I highly suggest giving Bob's Belts a go. Quality and service could not have been better.

RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Anyone have any experience with the Toro Bravo or Longhorn belts? I'm looking at a Toro Bravo (only double prong is available) for 79$ shipped. The Longhorn is ~10$ more, not really sure what the difference is besides the logos on them.

or I can get a best belt (athlete cut) for 87$ shipped. (Leaning towards this one)

Suggestions?

Edit: Actually just ordered the best belt, 500lb deadlift coming soon
    Last edited by RedSox1990; 07-04-2014 at 04:55 AM.
    IG: dontstressbenchpress

Will follow back

Originally Posted by RedSox1990 View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the Toro Bravo or Longhorn belts? I'm looking at a Toro Bravo (only double prong is available) for 79$ shipped. The Longhorn is ~10$ more, not really sure what the difference is besides the logos on them.

or I can get a best belt (athlete cut) for 87$ shipped. (Leaning towards this one)

Suggestions?

Edit: Actually just ordered the best belt, 500lb deadlift coming soon
    Good choice. Best Belts is very highly regarded here, probably the best bang for your buck.

As far as Titan goes for future reference for anyone. Their Toro belt is their most basic and a softer leather is used. I've heard the leather gets very soft with time. The longhorn and Brahma belts are better stiffer leather and on the lever versions Toro uses the cheap lever while the other 2 use a better lever that they claim is the best lever made. Longhorn and Brahma models come with a lifetime warranty on the belt and lever.

I was considering a Longhorn before I got my belt and Lifting Large has a good selection and restocks pretty quickly if they're out.

RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000) RedSox1990 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good choice. Best Belts is very highly regarded here, probably the best bang for your buck.

As far as Titan goes for future reference for anyone. Their Toro belt is their most basic and a softer leather is used. I've heard the leather gets very soft with time. The longhorn and Brahma belts are better stiffer leather and on the lever versions Toro uses the cheap lever while the other 2 use a better lever that they claim is the best lever made. Longhorn and Brahma models come with a lifetime warranty on the belt and lever.

I was considering a Longhorn before I got my belt and Lifting Large has a good selection and restocks pretty quickly if they're out.
    Thanks for the info on those, I would have probably been fine with any of them but I heard good things about Best Belts and the price difference was minimal. Now just the dreaded wait for it to arrive.
    IG: dontstressbenchpress

Will follow back

PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000) PostOfficeRus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    About to purchase an Inzer belt, question on sizing:

I am abotu a 33-34 belly measurement dependin gon time of day, which size should I get? Inzer says medium is 30-33 and large is 34-38.

Originally Posted by PostOfficeRus View Post
    About to purchase an Inzer belt, question on sizing:

I am abotu a 33-34 belly measurement dependin gon time of day, which size should I get? Inzer says medium is 30-33 and large is 34-38.
    Large.

Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zache418 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Does the leather belts need maintenance and care? I've using my Liftinglarge.com economy belt since 2 weeks and leaving it in my closet after my training ! Thanks!
    Canada Crew
    Positive crew
    Traditional Wet Shavers Crew
    Rep back

D/S/B PR
    315 lbs/275 lbs/235 lbs

Originally Posted by Zache418 View Post
    Does the leather belts need maintenance and care? I've using my Liftinglarge.com economy belt since 2 weeks and leaving it in my closet after my training ! Thanks!
    No special maintenance required, hanging it up when not being used works just fine. You should not lay things on top of it, though.