Mark8147 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Routine advice for beginner.

I've been doing weight training off and on for years now, nothing ever too seriously. However I got back into it after I hit 30 and noticed the effects were much greater than when I was younger. So for the past few months I have been doing this routine. But wanted to check it to make sure I wasnt overtraining and doing a varied enough routine. With work I only really have an hour free a day, and a basic weights bench, so my routione is tailored to that.
    All exercises are 3 sets of 8 reps decreasing to 6 reps on the final set.
    Day 1- Chest. Flat bench with barbell. Incline bench and decline bench both with dumbells.
    Day 2 - Bicep. Preachers with dumbells. Standing curls with bicep curl bar. Hammer curls. And seated bicep curls.
    Day 3 - Tricep. Skull crushers with bicep curl bar. Narrow grip flat bench. Kick backs. Dips.
    Day 4 - Back/Shoulders. Upright barbell row. Seated shoulder press. Seated shrugs with dumbells. Bent over rows.

Then I have a day off and start over. I understand that this isn't the most thorough routine, and yes, I should do leg exercises. But my goal is just to have a nicely defined upper body. I eat pretty healthily, try to get as much protein as possible including a shake after each workout. I am noticing results, although my chest is developing much more slowly than my arms and shoulders. Any advice will be appreciated.

NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatMuscleBrit will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

as i am a guy who is 38, you need to tidy up and make your regime and reduce the amount of excercises...
    i have been training for 4 years and this is my standard split, but i do change reps and sets and rest and even do special sauce methods every time a body part seems to be lagging...
    Monday - Legs = squats 4/5 sets, leg extension and curls, heavy calf work 6-8 sets (now i have 2 days till my next leg day so im limiting my excercises)
    Tuesday - Upperbody = bench press 4/5 sets, fly's, rows and 1 armed pulldowns, ohp with side raises and rear delt on pec dec (very light cable bicep and triceps) (light calves)
    Wednesday = rest day
    Thursday = legs = squats 4/5 sets and leg press 4/5 sets, leg ext and leg curls+heavy calf work
    Friday = rest dat
    Saturday = upperbody = bench and incline+ flys, rows and pulldowns and pullover with cable machine,ohp,then sides raises and rear delts then machine press, 4/5 sets of bicep curls and tricep pushdowns. (light calves)
    Sunday = Rest dat
    Last edited by NatMuscleBrit; 05-08-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: grammar

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Mark8147 View Post
    I've been doing weight training off and on for years now, nothing ever too seriously. However I got back into it after I hit 30 and noticed the effects were much greater than when I was younger. So for the past few months I have been doing this routine. But wanted to check it to make sure I wasnt overtraining and doing a varied enough routine. With work I only really have an hour free a day, and a basic weights bench, so my routione is tailored to that.
    All exercises are 3 sets of 8 reps decreasing to 6 reps on the final set.
    Day 1- Chest. Flat bench with barbell. Incline bench and decline bench both with dumbells.
    Day 2 - Bicep. Preachers with dumbells. Standing curls with bicep curl bar. Hammer curls. And seated bicep curls.
    Day 3 - Tricep. Skull crushers with bicep curl bar. Narrow grip flat bench. Kick backs. Dips.
    Day 4 - Back/Shoulders. Upright barbell row. Seated shoulder press. Seated shrugs with dumbells. Bent over rows.

Then I have a day off and start over. I understand that this isn't the most thorough routine, and yes, I should do leg exercises. But my goal is just to have a nicely defined upper body. I eat pretty healthily, try to get as much protein as possible including a shake after each workout. I am noticing results, although my chest is developing much more slowly than my arms and shoulders.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Train your entire body in balance.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733