FoReVeR0515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Vertical Jump Training Log - FlytRight

I just recently started Brandon Todd's FlytRight training program, so I figured I would post a log here.

I love playing basketball. It's been a dream of mine, since high school, to be able to dunk, and dunk well. That's one reason for my training, another being to improve overall athleticism. This should also help with rebounding, blocking, speed, and explosiveness. Before starting the program, I could grab the rim, off of two feet and one. I've done this since high school, so luckily it seems I haven't lost any ability since then.

My info and starting stats:
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 174 lbs.
    Standing vertical: 23" - This was performed right next to a wall for measurement, so may have affected how high I could get.

I have so far completed the first week, and yesterday, completed day one of week two. Since I haven't worked out much since I got out of the Army, my body has really been feeling it with soreness, but I think it's now starting to get used to it. I feel like I'm recovering faster.

I don't have a specific schedule to test my gains, so I will just test my vertical when my legs feel good and recovered, every now and then.
    Last edited by FoReVeR0515; 05-06-2014 at 04:49 PM.

mr7five7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FoReVeR0515 View Post
    I just recently started Brandon Todd's FlytRight training program, so I figured I would post a log here.

I love playing basketball. It's been a dream of mine, since high school, to be able to dunk, and dunk well. That's one reason for my training, another being to improve overall athleticism. This should also help with rebounding, blocking, speed, and explosiveness. Before starting the program, I could grab the rim, off of two feet and one. I've done this since high school, so luckily it seems I haven't lost any ability since then.

My info and starting stats:
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 174 lbs.
    Standing vertical: 23" - This was performed right next to a wall for measurement, so may have affected how high I could get.

I have so far completed the first week, and yesterday, completed day one of week two. Since I haven't worked out much since I got out of the Army, my body has really been feeling it with soreness, but I think it's now starting to get used to it. I feel like I'm recovering faster.

I don't have a specific schedule to test my gains, so I will just test my vertical when my legs feel good and recovered, every now and then.

Bro could you post the workouts and everything. I saw that guy from another site and was amazed by his jumping ability. I wish you luck with this program

Originally Posted by mr7five7 View Post
    Bro could you post the workouts and everything. I saw that guy from another site and was amazed by his jumping ability. I wish you luck with this program
    I thought about doing that, but I'm not sure if I should, since it's a paid program ($5.99 on Android). Though at one time I believe it was free. Let me get back to you on that.

Tonight I finished my second week of the workout. My quads are thrashed right now, but in a good way of course. There are different phases, and that completes the first two "free" weeks. I believe it used to be free for the first two weeks, and each phase thereafter was paid. But now, at least for Android, it's all included for $5.99, as of this writing.

There are five phases altogether: Two free weeks, Beginner, Intermediate, Advance, and Maintenance. Since I hadn't been working out much for a good while before starting this program, I decided to start from the very beginning.

I'm not sure yet about posting the workouts, as mentioned above. I'll get back with you on that one.

I won't be posting my workouts, as it is a paid program. That wouldn't be fair to the program's creator, nor others who purchased the program.

I will post things such as how I feel after/about the workouts, and my progress/results. Even exercises in the workout, without going into detail on sets/reps, etc.

I will say that there aren't any heavy weights involved at the beginning, just a few exercises involving dumbbells and one with a weight plate. The Intermediate phase is when using a barbell comes into play, with squats, dead lifts, etc.

Went to an outside court yesterday to shoot around, but it didn't turn out so well since it was a bit windy. Not to mention the ball getting dusty and less grippy. So I wound up taking more close shots, layups, and hook shots. I need to find an indoor court to practice and play on.

I did do some jumping, but my quads were still sore. I was able to dunk a rock, but I'm not certain if the goal is actually 10' or off by an inch or two.

Today is day 2 of week 3 (Beginner week 1) of the workout, which I will be doing this evening. My legs are feeling pretty good and recovered today, so that's good.

I won't be posting my workouts, as it is a paid program. That wouldn't be fair to the program's creator, nor others who purchased the program.

I will post things such as how I feel after/about the workouts, and my progress/results. Even exercises in the workout, without going into detail on sets/reps, etc.

I will say that there aren't any heavy weights involved at the beginning, just a few exercises involving dumbbells and one with a weight plate. The Intermediate phase is when using a barbell comes into play, with squats, dead lifts, etc.

Yeah that is true. I just wanted to see what type of exercises are involved with the program and also see what the first two weeks were since it was free a while ago. Do you have to buy anything for this program. Like, what exact things do you need? Also, how is your progress, has your vertical went up yet?

Yeah that is true. I just wanted to see what type of exercises are involved with the program and also see what the first two weeks were since it was free a while ago. Do you have to buy anything for this program. Like, what exact things do you need? Also, how is your progress, has your vertical went up yet?
    No problem, I can definitely list some exercises. Heavier weighted exercises with a barbell don't come in until the Intermediate phase. Below are some, but not all, of the exercises from the very first two weeks:
    - Box jump
    - Tuck jump
    - Pullups
    - Full crunches
    - Frog hops
    - Sprints
    - Flight up - Quick, explosive jump from a stand still, jumping as high as possible
    - Fight circuit - Six different exercises performed in succession, with dumbbells. For example, after completing five reps of each of the six exercises, in succession, that's one set.
    - Curls
    - Body squats

Here some equipment suggestions I have for the whole program, from also looking ahead to the other phases:
    1. Jump rope - Not necessary, but makes it easier to ensure you're jumping properly during the exercise.
    2. Dumbbells - You will definitely want these, and of varying weights. Every two weeks, you're supposed to go up a little from your previous weight. The ones that are adjustable via plates work well. In a document included with the app, it says not to increase past 25 lbs. if under age 16, and not to exceed 50 lbs. if older than that.
    3. Jump/plyo box/stand - You will need something to jump onto and off of, high enough to require good effort.
    4. Barbell w/plates and rack - It isn't used until the Intermediate phase, but I know it will be needed for squats, hang cleans, dead lifts, etc.
    5. Cable machine - This is something I don't have, so I'm not sure how I will substitute it yet, but it would be for lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns. Doesn't come in until the Intermediate phase.
    6. Medicine ball - Used for Power Slams. You jump up and throw/slam the ball to the ground.
    7. Something to do pull-ups and dips on.

I do this program at home, and the only thing I don't have available is a cable machine. I'll figure something out though. It's way more convenient than going to a gym for me. I just step out into my garage.

As for my progress so far, I feel I have gained a little. My initial vertical jump test was performed barefoot and I measured at 23". Today my legs were feeling pretty good, so I tested again, this time with shoes. I measured my standing reach again of course, since wearing shoes now. Then I performed my vertical jump, with a one-step start (one foot stays in place, while the other steps up from behind, then jump). So today I got 25.5". How much could have being barefoot affected my result, if at all? I feel not much. Definitely not by 2.5" though.

So that's where I am at 2 1/2 weeks in.

No problem, I can definitely list some exercises. Heavier weighted exercises with a barbell don't come in until the Intermediate phase. Below are some, but not all, of the exercises from the very first two weeks:
    - Box jump
    - Tuck jump
    - Pullups
    - Full crunches
    - Frog hops
    - Sprints
    - Flight up - Quick, explosive jump from a stand still, jumping as high as possible
    - Fight circuit - Six different exercises performed in succession, with dumbbells. For example, after completing five reps of each of the six exercises, in succession, that's one set.
    - Curls
    - Body squats

Here some equipment suggestions I have for the whole program, from also looking ahead to the other phases:
    1. Jump rope - Not necessary, but makes it easier to ensure you're jumping properly during the exercise.
    2. Dumbbells - You will definitely want these, and of varying weights. Every two weeks, you're supposed to go up a little from your previous weight. The ones that are adjustable via plates work well. In a document included with the app, it says not to increase past 25 lbs. if under age 16, and not to exceed 50 lbs. if older than that.
    3. Jump/plyo box/stand - You will need something to jump onto and off of, high enough to require good effort.
    4. Barbell w/plates and rack - It isn't used until the Intermediate phase, but I know it will be needed for squats, hang cleans, dead lifts, etc.
    5. Cable machine - This is something I don't have, so I'm not sure how I will substitute it yet, but it would be for lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns. Doesn't come in until the Intermediate phase.
    6. Medicine ball - Used for Power Slams. You jump up and throw/slam the ball to the ground.
    7. Something to do pull-ups and dips on.

I do this program at home, and the only thing I don't have available is a cable machine. I'll figure something out though. It's way more convenient than going to a gym for me. I just step out into my garage.

As for my progress so far, I feel I have gained a little. My initial vertical jump test was performed barefoot and I measured at 23". Today my legs were feeling pretty good, so I tested again, this time with shoes. I measured my standing reach again of course, since wearing shoes now. Then I performed my vertical jump, with a one-step start (one foot stays in place, while the other steps up from behind, then jump). So today I got 25.5". How much could have being barefoot affected my result, if at all? I feel not much. Definitely not by 2.5" though.

So that's where I am at 2 1/2 weeks in.

Nice man keep up the good work. Hopefully you get to that Andrew Wiggins vertical

Nice man keep up the good work. Hopefully you get to that Andrew Wiggins vertical
    Heck, I'd be happy even getting to 34"-35". But I will keep working at it. One of the reasons I like this program is because it's not just vertical jump training, but also whole body fitness.

Yesterday's workout makes [s]4 1/2[/s] 3 1/2 weeks completed so far. I'm feeling good. There are few things I have modified along the way, such as doing lower reps with a higher weight when bicep curling, and doing other exercises for abs when crunches are called for.

Those Flight Circuits are killer! I've been using 10lbs. dummbells for them, but the reps went up the past few times, so it's rough.

I also made a mistake in one of my previous posts. I said that using a barbell doesn't come in until the Intermediate phase, but I looked again and it's actually used during the last week of the Beginner phase for dead lifts. Won't matter to most, but I felt I needed to correct myself on that one.

I haven't played any ball lately, unfortunately, so I haven't tested jumping since my last post about it.
    Last edited by FoReVeR0515; 05-23-2014 at 07:32 PM.

I have now completed four weeks and one day, and today will be day two of Beginner week 3. I still haven't been to play any and haven't tested jumping, so I'm eager for that once my legs recover enough and I have a chance to get to a court.

My normal workout days for the week are Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The first time I veered from this schedule was this past Saturday, in which I pushed Saturday's workout to Sunday. I didn't feel like my legs were recovered enough, so the extra day did a world of good. I then continued my normal schedule from Monday.

I can definitely tell a difference in the way my legs look, which is awesome to me, considering I haven't started heavier weight exercises yet. Hopefully it's more fast-twitch muscle fibers developing, that I'm noticing. I'm ready to get to the heavier weights though, to improve overall strength.

Well, I have decided to take a one-week break from the FlytRight program, for a few reasons:
    1. I want to do more playing basketball and real-world jumping.
    2. Before starting yesterday's workout, I was not rested well enough and my body was not feeling it, as it was going to be a longer session. I figured "What's the point?" if I couldn't give it my all and do it right.
    3. This will also give me a little more time to study for exams to get an IT certification that I'm aiming to get.

I'm definitely not stopping, and I will pick up where I left off on Friday of next week. Like I said, I will be playing some basketball and jumping a good bit until then.

I've been playing basketball some and it feels good to play pickup games again. Normally when I would go to the court close to where I live, there aren't other people there playing. Maybe due to me going at odd times. But the other night there was a group of guys there that I was able to play with. I'm going again this evening, so hopefully there are some people there. If not, I'll just work on shooting. I'm a little rusty from not playing much in a while.

While playing, I felt good and springy. I am able to grab the rim with two hands off of a two-feet jump, and I couldn't do that before starting the program. It's good to see yourself progressing and know that you're not training for nothing. It may not be much, but it's progression.

Also, I've come upon an issue that will impact my training. Starting in the Intermediate phase, squats will be implemented. So I decided to do a little squatting to get an idea of where I am, as I haven't done it since high school. What I found out is that I have very limited flexibility in my chest/shoulders in the range needed for holding onto the barbell when doing squats. Even with my hands out wider than I normally would, my chest/shoulders are so tight that I can barely get the bar to where it should be on my back. And when I get there, it hurts pretty bad as a result of the tight muscles, and I can't hold it more than a few seconds. So this is preventing me from even doing a squat.

This is when I realized that I need to do some flexibility training. Upon doing a little research, I saw recommended multiple times to do exercises like shoulder dislocations and chest stretches. I tried the shoulder dislocations, with a broom stick as advised, with my arms as wide as I could. I couldn't get it over without bending my arms, and even then it hurt some. So what I will do is go as far as I can with keeping my arms straight and work from there. I will also be doing chest stretching exercises.

One thing that I know is that this sucks. It may put a delay in my training until I am flexible enough. I hope it doesn't take me long to get to where I can squat comfortably.

So, I've decided to put my training on hold until I can become flexible enough for squatting. Though I will still be playing basketball and jumping, so I should retain any progress I've made.

jumpman17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man, just came upon your training log. I also bought the Flytright Android app and was glad to see someone else doing the training program. Seeing your progress gives me a lot of inspiration. I started doing the program a few months ago but each session would take 2-3 hours and I'd be so sore afterwards that I'd need almost 1 week of recovery time, so the 4-days-a-week schedule laid out by the program was not realistic for me. Glad to see that you were able to handle it though. I do feel like my vertical has improved slightly--from not being that close to rim to allllmost grazing the bottom of rim. Anyway, hope to see you posting your progress again soon because it's good motivation for myself to try harder.

Originally Posted by jumpman17 View Post
    Hey man, just came upon your training log. I also bought the Flytright Android app and was glad to see someone else doing the training program. Seeing your progress gives me a lot of inspiration. I started doing the program a few months ago but each session would take 2-3 hours and I'd be so sore afterwards that I'd need almost 1 week of recovery time, so the 4-days-a-week schedule laid out by the program was not realistic for me. Glad to see that you were able to handle it though. I do feel like my vertical has improved slightly--from not being that close to rim to allllmost grazing the bottom of rim. Anyway, hope to see you posting your progress again soon because it's good motivation for myself to try harder.
    Sorry about how long it's been since I've updated. I have yet to start back on the program, though I am still playing basketball to keep my legs up. I originally took a break to work on flexibility for squatting, but still exercising. Well, I wound up tweaking my neck and couldn't do anything for a while. I tried pullups once a few days after it happened, but that made it worse. Since it healed completely, I've been exercising, but slacking on working to improve flexibility.

We're going on a ten day trip in a few days, so I'm starting tomorrow with flexibility training. Then hopefully not long after we get back, I'll be able to squat and continue the program.

I too am glad to hear someone else's account of doing the program. It was hard on my body for the first couple of weeks, because I hadn't worked out in a good while before that. Some of the workouts are long and take everything you have to finish, while doing everything correctly. If you feel you aren't recovered enough on a workout day, just take that as a rest day and push it to the next day. I had to do that once. But just hang in there and you'll adjust.

Make sure to hydrate before working out and drink while working out as well. Make sure you get some carbs in you in the few hours prior to working out as well, for the energy will be needed. I would also suggest a protein shake afterward, to help in muscle recovery.

I'd like to keep up with your progress, if possible. Maybe you could create a log. Anyway, good luck and keep it up!
    Last edited by FoReVeR0515; 08-04-2014 at 10:45 PM.

k1k1r1k1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello guys, i have bought FlyghtRight for android and i will start with program today. But i have few questions:

1. Rest between exercises and between sets how much?
    2. I paid 5.99$ for app and right now i have acces to all 5 programs, after 2 weeks would i have to pay again? How is that work?
    3. You start program with 2 free weeks, then continue with basic, intermediate..?

Im glad to see that program is working, and i hope it will work for me also.

I am 168cm tall and my weight is 78 kg. I sometimes play basketball, and i miss like 1cm to touch rim. Also i have never before trained for higher jump but i have alway been able to jump high. So my hope is to jump and catch rim with both hands after this program.

Originally Posted by k1k1r1k1 View Post
    Hello guys, i have bought FlyghtRight for android and i will start with program today. But i have few questions:

2. I paid 5.99$ for app and right now i have acces to all 5 programs, after 2 weeks would i have to pay again? How is that work?
    3. You start program with 2 free weeks, then continue with basic, intermediate..?

Im glad to see that program is working, and i hope it will work for me also.

I am 168cm tall and my weight is 78 kg. I sometimes play basketball, and i miss like 1cm to touch rim. Also i have never before trained for higher jump but i have alway been able to jump high. So my hope is to jump and catch rim with both hands after this program.
    I will try to help as best I can.

----Answer: I usually rest for around 45-60 seconds between sets. Though rest a little longer if you really need it, and build up to lower rest times. I try to minimize the rest time between the different exercises as well. Long enough to get a swig of water and catch my breath.

----Answer: No, it's just that one-time fee. You have access to all the phases without paying anything extra.

----Answer: Depending on where you are in your physical fitness level, you could start in a later phase. I opted to start with the first two free weeks and go in order from there.

It looks like you're the same height as Brandon Todd. Good luck with the program and reaching your goals!

Sorry about how long it's been since I've updated. I have yet to start back on the program, though I am still playing basketball to keep my legs up. I originally took a break to work on flexibility for squatting, but still exercising. Well, I wound up tweaking my neck and couldn't do anything for a while. I tried pullups once a few days after it happened, but that made it worse. Since it healed completely, I've been exercising, but slacking on working to improve flexibility.

We're going on a ten day trip in a few days, so I'm starting tomorrow with flexibility training. Then hopefully not long after we get back, I'll be able to squat and continue the program.

I too am glad to hear someone else's account of doing the program. It was hard on my body for the first couple of weeks, because I hadn't worked out in a good while before that. Some of the workouts are long and take everything you have to finish, while doing everything correctly. If you feel you aren't recovered enough on a workout day, just take that as a rest day and push it to the next day. I had to do that once. But just hang in there and you'll adjust.

Make sure to hydrate before working out and drink while working out as well. Make sure you get some carbs in you in the few hours prior to working out as well, for the energy will be needed. I would also suggest a protein shake afterward, to help in muscle recovery.

I'd like to keep up with your progress, if possible. Maybe you could create a log. Anyway, good luck and keep it up!
    Unfortunately, I did not continue stretching while on our trip. I need to get committed to flexibility training so I can get back in the program. Come on me, step it up!