BetaAlphaman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

York Megamax 3001...again?

Hey dudes! Picked up a home gym for free from a relative, turns out the be one of the hardest things to assemble from the obsolete instructions. Can anyone help me out here with the cable ending assembly?

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BetaAlphaman View Post
    Hey dudes! Picked up a home gym for free from a relative, turns out the be one of the hardest things to assemble from the obsolete instructions. Can anyone help me out here with the cable ending assembly?

Is there something else that's suppose to attach to the cable? Like maybe a handle that clips on for doing rows or curls?

I assume that there's a hole through the black ball, right?

Okay, so I'm assuming that you need a loop at the end and that the ball has a hole in it...

1) Thread the cable through the hole in the ball.

2) Snug the ball all the way up to the stop on the machine.

3) Make a loop in the end of the cable. If there's enough space to thread the cable back into the ball again, do so, but don't push it so far in that it emerges from the other side.

4) Use the U-bolt and the other piece which slides onto the two prongs of the U-bolt to secure the cable right next to the ball. Thread the washers (hopfully there are two of them) onto the ends of the U-bolt and then put the nuts on next. Tighten the whole thing up so that the cable won't slip. (I'm you're missing a washer, go to your local hardware store and get a new one.)
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It does not look like you have the original cable that came with the machine. The original cable is most likely 1/8" wire with a PVC jacket. The jacketed cable should 3/16" diameter. The end of the cable should be terminated with an eye. The pictured cable looks much larger than is typically used. If it is larger, it will be stiffer and the machine will not operate as smoothly as it would with the proper, flexible cable. If the replacement cable is not jacketed, it will cause excess wear on the pulleys, which are plastic.

It would be best to get a proper cable for your machine. Using the cable clamp will result in a weak connection that could fail if the clamp is not installed properly. (The saddle must always be against the live end.) If you must use it, I suggest using two cable clamps with a thimble to form the eye. Check out this page http://www.fdlake.com/wrclips.html for info on installing cable clamps.

You can buy proper pulley machine cable at:

http://www.exercise-equipment-parts.com/cab-125-b.html
    See also, http://www.exercise-equipment-parts....ent-cable.html which shows various cable ends.

This company also sells replacement cables: http://www.yukon-fitness.com/Merchan...D/PRTS/CBL-BLD

Cables specifically for the York Megamax 3001 are sold by http://www.gymdoctor.co.uk/york-3001...bles-130-p.asp

The York supplier would be your best option. As you can see from the picture the cable has swaged ends. One end has a thimble. The other end has a rubber washer as stopper, the ball, a steel washer, and a swaged eye.

daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) daniel327 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There is a reason that the machine was given away for free.

Basically, your relative has alleviated themself of the burden of disposing of their trash.

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

Thanks KBKB and RestoringTally, will try that out asap. Clive I have read those over and over again, you should see the lack of depth that is printed on those instructions, nothing on the paper indicated the assembly of the cable ending.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Is there something else that's suppose to attach to the cable? Like maybe a handle that clips on for doing rows or curls?

I assume that there's a hole through the black ball, right?

Okay, so I'm assuming that you need a loop at the end and that the ball has a hole in it...

1) Thread the cable through the hole in the ball.

2) Snug the ball all the way up to the stop on the machine.

3) Make a loop in the end of the cable. If there's enough space to thread the cable back into the ball again, do so, but don't push it so far in that it emerges from the other side.

4) Use the U-bolt and the other piece which slides onto the two prongs of the U-bolt to secure the cable right next to the ball. Thread the washers (hopfully there are two of them) onto the ends of the U-bolt and then put the nuts on next. Tighten the whole thing up so that the cable won't slip. (I'm you're missing a washer, go to your local hardware store and get a new one.)
    Hey KBKB, was wondering how to specifically use the U-bolt and the washers (I happen to have 2 extra washers lying around)? How would I be able to fasten the cable through the U-bolt (some kind of technique to secure it)?

Edit: I managed to try it out, threading through the ball and back into ball again, it's the U-bolt that I can't seem to use properly. The current assembly has the cable sliding back out. Would appreciate any help!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by BetaAlphaman; 04-24-2014 at 01:48 PM.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Hey KBKB, was wondering how to specifically use the U-bolt and the washers (I happen to have 2 extra washers lying around)? How would I be able to fasten the cable through the U-bolt (some kind of technique to secure it)?
    Referring to this photo...

a) Take the U-bolt and put it around the pair of cables (which form a loop).

b) Thread the piece with the two holes in it, which is near the black ball in your photo, onto the U-bolt. The notched end should be facing the cable.

c) Place one washer on each of the threaded ends of the U-bolt. (If you don't have lock nuts, you might want to also add a lock washer on top of each flat washer)

d) Thread one nut onto each end of the bolt and tighten firmly and evenly. You may wish to use some thread locker as well. (Medium strength - usually blue - Loctite is good for this application. You'll put the thread locker on the bolt threads prior to attaching the nuts.)

I would give serious consideration to RestoringTally's post. That said, you probably don't want to sink very much money into it. It seems entirely possible that you could spend more on a replacement cable than the machine is worth.

CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)

Edit: I managed to try it out, threading through the ball and back into ball again, it's the U-bolt that I can't seem to use properly. The current assembly has the cable sliding back out. Would appreciate any help!

Okay so the reason the York instructions don't explain this, is that this is a homemade replacement cable. Search wire rope clamp to see how this works. You'll probably need to buy a "thimble" to complete this. You have it right in the picture but I would double back that much wire rope I'd leave a minimal amount protruding past the clamp so the ball could seat against the clamp.

A crimped swage connector would be be better if properly made.

Those big black washers are obviously not part of the cable assembly. They must be for a large pivot. I'm guessing one between each pec-deck arm and socket.

Doh! I totally missed that photo when I replied.

Originally Posted by CliveWarren View Post

You have it right in the picture but I would double back that much wire rope I'd leave a minimal amount protruding past the clamp so the ball could seat against the clamp.
    I think you meant to say "...but I would not double back that much wire rope. ..."

If so, I agree with you.

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Doh! I totally missed that photo when I replied.

I think you meant to say "...but I would not double back that much wire rope. ..."

If so, I agree with you.
    That's what I meant to say. I can't believe we are giving these cable machines any love, but I enjoy all things mechanical.

The current assembly seems to handle light weight easily but when it gets up to 40-50 it starts to slip, as in the wire starts to come through the ball and everything becomes undone. So the suggestion is to get some kind of thimble to secure it? Will def look around.

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RestoringTally is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The current assembly seems to handle light weight easily but when it gets up to 40-50 it starts to slip, as in the wire starts to come through the ball and everything becomes undone. So the suggestion is to get some kind of thimble to secure it? Will def look around.
    Re-read my comment above. Check out the link on proper installation of wire cable clamps. You should use a thimble and at least two clamps, with the saddle against the live wire (the wire carrying the load that goes to the pulley). Also, it looks like the cable clamp you have is too large for the size wire cable you are using.

If you have a marine store near you they may have wire cable accessories. West Marine will even swage the connectors for you. They may even have the correct cable (Vinyl jacketed 1/8" core) instead of the bare steel in your pics.

Do it right or don't bother. It would hurt to have the cable fail as you are doing a facepull.