schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Click/plucking tendon behind knee

When I squat down I get clicking behind my knees. Or it kinda feels like the tendon on the backside (outer edge) of my knee is being plucked. It doesn't hurt per se but it feels odd and it kinda throws off my form as it's distracting.

I can't quite squat down to parallel as I'm recovering from an issue that brings me a knee cap pinch and bad hip flexor pain. But I'm wondering if the tendon plucking/clicking is related.

Could the plucking be a sign of tightness? Where would I track the tightness back to? I've been doing stretching and Myofascial release with a ball and foam roller for months so it's frustrating that I'm still so tight.

Any insight on the back of the knee causing the tendon to pluck?

schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) schnauzers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bump! Anybody have advice?

I've looked up other similar threads and some say it could be a right IT band issue or tight glute medius. Well I consistently foam roll, ball roll, use the tiger tail roller and things never loosen up. No matter how muh time I spend, I'll wake up tight the next day.

My PT has been doing manual therapy and acupuncture since January and nothing bring relief.

Anything else I can try? Is there some sort of condition that I could have where my muscles resist soft tissue work and just will not release? This is becoming very prohibitive to my workouts.

Thanks.

kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kaleida is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi!!
    I don't know if my issue is the same as yours, just thinking out loud....but sometimes I get clicky noises if bones are slightly out of place, and the click can show up somewhere other than the joint that was out of place. For example I went to the chiropractor and he said my right SI joint was out of place...he fixed it and then a click in my shoulder disappeared. I also have some clicking in my hip that went away when I fixed my pelvis alignment (I had anterior pelvic tilt, lateral pelvic tilt, and even some rotation).
    My powerlifting journal:
    Adaptation ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169905603

Hey kaleida Thanks so much for your reply.

I have issues with my T spine and have what they're calling thoracic ring dysfunction, where my T spine isn't aligning properly due to various tightness and imbalance elsewhere. So all the tight bits pull other parts out of place. Thing is, my only initial symptom was the pinch I'd get under my left knee cap. Now, I've got the plucking tendons too (and almost debilitating bad hip flexor tightness and pain)...and this is after months of treatments. It's like no amount of treatment is helping...physio, acupuncture, soft tissue work, massage, self Myofascial release at home...I'm just getting tighter and tighter.

It makes sense that if my IT bands or glutes or hip flexor are tight (and they always are BIG time) that will affect other body parts. But I'm baffled as to why all this attempt at relieving the tightness isn't working. And it's not like I'm lifting heavy either.

goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) goirish3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hows your form? I use to get popping in my knee, i widened my stance and it eliminated it almost immediately.

Form is fine, it's some kind of structural issue. I can't manage more than quarter or third squats anyway because of the pain in my left knee cap, hip flexor pain and plucking behind the knee. And this is still after not going to the gym since January and just doing basic rehab/prefab stuff at home.

ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZFD9187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by schnauzers View Post
    Form is fine, it's some kind of structural issue. I can't manage more than quarter or third squats anyway because of the pain in my left knee cap, hip flexor pain and plucking behind the knee. And this is still after not going to the gym since January and just doing basic rehab/prefab stuff at home.
    Always stretching pre and post? Sounds like your tendons aren't lubed up for the lifts. I had a bad knee that was always bugging me, began stretching deep in hammy's and quad's and it slowly went away. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by ZFD9187 View Post
    Always stretching pre and post? Sounds like your tendons aren't lubed up for the lifts. I had a bad knee that was always bugging me, began stretching deep in hammy's and quad's and it slowly went away. Just a thought.
    Yeah, it's annoying. I do some foam rolling,tiger tail rolling and light dynamic stretching before I workout and then do longer ball holds in tight spots after the workout.

The trainer I worked with (not using him currently as I'm concentrating funds on PT and hands on treatments now) had a live FB chat session today and I asked about this issue and his response was:

"It could be the IT band gliding over a bone spur on the femur. Do tons of foam rolling and get some tissue work done on the area. It could also be from increasing the remodeling rate of the glutes faster than the IT band. This happens a lot when people do more glute work and see progress quickly. The muscle adapts faster than the tendon."

I do the foam rolling and the tissue work already. I see what he's saying about the glutes but my glutes aren't exactly that far along anyway so I don't think that's my issue. I think it's mega tightness that's leading to pulling and then misalignment. The mystery is why I'm not responding to any self/hands on attempts at releasing the tight muscles

dnclarke944 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Clicking plucking tendon behind and edge of knee

Hey there! I know this thread is over five years old but was hoping you found a solution to this plucking. I have the identical issue your describing on the side and kind of behind my right knee. When ever I go down to squat or especially deadlift the tendon or IT band or whatever is slipping against something. As you’ve stated I am constantly foam rolling and grinding on the lacross ball to loosen up hams, glutes, and quads. All of which is just temporary at best (like a matter of minutes of relief). This isn’t painful but I know it’s not right and it’s messing up my form and creating problems for my left hip flexor. This has been going on for well over a year now and you are literally the only person I know combined with internet land having this issue. Please let me know if there was a solution. Thanks!