simonso123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Football after torn labrum

Hey

In the past 2 years ive got 2 surgerys in my shoulder, because of a torn labrum in both of them. Both surgerys went perfect and the rehabs.
    I have played football 7 years now as a runningback, and i love it! I am determined to play again, but at the same time scared. Isnt there some Of you guys out there, who have been in the same situation? How does the shoulder react? Will it be good again? Right now i do a lot Of weight training, and it hurts a little bit in the shoulders sometimes after a session.

Is there some excercises you guys would reccommend for stabilizing my shoulders, right now i train my rotator cuff with elastics slings. I am wondering if gymnastic rings would help? And in general, do you Think its a good idea to start again?

I know its a lot Of weird questions, but i just need to ask.

Hope you can help

Regards
    Simon

brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10) brbarrett is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had a tear in my labrum as well, but from swimming in college. If you stick to your rehab/band work, you should never truly have any issues. I notice, that while not immediate, if I do not keep up with my band work, my overhead press lifts will suffer and I lose mobility in my shoulder such as reaching back for a seat belt and what not.

Once mine was healed I started lifting again and am now stronger than before, but am very careful to not hurt it again. Short of it all, just take care of it and do what you want.

Originally Posted by brbarrett View Post
    I had a tear in my labrum as well, but from swimming in college. If you stick to your rehab/band work, you should never truly have any issues. I notice, that while not immediate, if I do not keep up with my band work, my overhead press lifts will suffer and I lose mobility in my shoulder such as reaching back for a seat belt and what not.

Once mine was healed I started lifting again and am now stronger than before, but am very careful to not hurt it again. Short of it all, just take care of it and do what you want.
    Great to hear, i Will Stick to the vand excercises, and i use it as a Warmup before every upper body workout. But again great to hear!

Other comments?

Other comments? Maybe from some football players?

KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've torn my shoulder up and have 4 pieces of metal in it. Honestly mine was never and still is not the same. I rushed my rehab to try to get back on the football field which was a terrible mistake. I still played college football but my shoulder isn't the same.
    Stick to your band work and always properly warm up shoulders. Help yourself out when benching and dont use a super wide grip. The big thing is dont put yourself in a bad position while working out such as a wide grip on the bench ext...
    Build up the back of the shoulder because the front will come along because thats what you see in the mirror.
    Any questions or concerns feel free to message me!
    Good Luck i know how the grind is!

Originally Posted by KGD54 View Post
    I've torn my shoulder up and have 4 pieces of metal in it. Honestly mine was never and still is not the same. I rushed my rehab to try to get back on the football field which was a terrible mistake. I still played college football but my shoulder isn't the same.
    Stick to your band work and always properly warm up shoulders. Help yourself out when benching and dont use a super wide grip. The big thing is dont put yourself in a bad position while working out such as a wide grip on the bench ext...
    Build up the back of the shoulder because the front will come along because thats what you see in the mirror.
    Any questions or concerns feel free to message me!
    Good Luck i know how the grind is!
    Hey KGD54 i am srr to hear That, when did you get the surgery, and was it a normal torn labrum, because i dont have 4 piece of metal in my shoulder, but i feel so great in my shoulder, i can do DB press without problems. But i really apreciate your awnser. Thank you.

HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can I ask how both labrums were torn and what kind of tear (bankart lesion, slap lesion, etc.)? I had my left shoulder reconstructed from hockey and my right one is starting to go. Also what level of football are you playing at.
    Last edited by HammZ; 04-06-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Originally Posted by HammZ View Post
    Can I ask how both labrums were torn and what kind of tear (bankhart lesion, slap lesion, etc.)? I had my left shoulder reconstructed from hockey and my right one is starting to go. Also what level of football are you playing at.
    I play football in Denmark at a High level. It was both bankart lessions, and i dont know how, my shoulders just started to hurt and i played with it for 2,5 year because my doctor told me it was an overload, in the end i demanded him to get me an MR screening.

HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000) HammZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by simonso123 View Post
    I play football in Denmark at a High level. It was both bankart lessions, and i dont know how, my shoulders just started to hurt and i played with it for 2,5 year because my doctor told me it was an overload, in the end i demanded him to get me an MR screening.
    Was just more curious then anything, I broke my collar bone 3x in the shoulder I had surgery on before subluxing my shoulder from a hit and tearing mine. I think I played MAYBE 20 games between those 4 injuries so I know how much it sucks.

I guess all I can offer you are words of encouragement, keep up with your exercises and make sure you train both sides of your shoulder like mentioned above and you should be fine. If you played scared you're more likely to get injured. It took me like a full year before I really felt 100% but if I was good enough to play in any contact leagues I'd feel safe doing so. Good luck!

KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KGD54 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by simonso123 View Post
    Hey KGD54 i am srr to hear That, when did you get the surgery, and was it a normal torn labrum, because i dont have 4 piece of metal in my shoulder, but i feel so great in my shoulder, i can do DB press without problems. But i really apreciate your awnser. Thank you.
    Labrum and rotator cuff, also almost took the biceps tendon as well. I got the surgery in May 2009. I can db press without real problems when doing single arm i can tell which one i hurt but muscle strength is there in both shoulders.
    GOOD LUCK

ratcw74 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You and me have the same issue. I'm a junior and will be a senior next year in high school. I play offensive line. I injured both of mine during varsity games. One in warm ups and the the other in the game. Both tears were really bad. The tears were only so bad because I played an entire season on it which sucked. I already have had arthroscopy on the left shoulder which was my worst one. It went really well. I'm getting my right one done on the 23rd. The worst thing about it is just not being able to do anything. It really sucked watching my teammates lift while I sat there in my sling lol. Good luck!

AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I tore mine in 2006. I didn't play football but I played basketball at a high level with for years afterwards. I know there isn't a lot of contact in hoops but I dunked a lot and I would throw that **** down violently and pretty recklessly(which was how I tore it in the first place). I put a ridiculous amount of force on the repaired shoulder and I can honestly say I've had no problems with it at all since the surgery. Just stay on top of your band and scapula work. The one and only thing I cannot do anymore is incline barbell press. I can do dumbbells with no problem but barbell on incline hasn't felt the same since I tore it so I don't do that exercise anymore.

Long story short if you stay on top of your rehab/maintenance work your shoulder should be good to do whatever. It would take another type of incident(one that would somebody else's perfectly normal labrum) to tear it again.
    Instagram: @andythompson1

LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LaParkaNE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    wow thank god i've never torn anything

asalameh56 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Tore my labrum in my shoulder and have an upcoming senior season in football

i tore the labrum in my shoulder in October of 2018 and I plan to return to the field for my senior year, Im doing physical therapy right now. Anyone have any tips?

sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do a search in the injury section. There isn't really a football specific rehab and lifting routine for torn labrum recovery. In general, the keys are;
    1) Have a great Orthopedic Surgeon (look to professional sport team doctors)
    2) Have a great Physical Therapist (one who works with athletes)
    3) Take your rehab seriously. Assume that your new sport is "rehab" and you're going to excel at it like you did in football.
    4) Plan on getting labrum surgery instead of just rehab. The labrum doesn't heal on its own. Without surgery you have an %85 chance of recurrence.

My son tore his labrum on a tackle during the later part of his sophomore season. He choose not to do the surgery and had 4 months of PT. At the end of the PT there was no discernible play in his shoulder. He continued to do his rehab exercises everyday. During camp for his Junior season he noticed some discomfort in his scapula and it was decided to do an MRI at the end of the season. Two games into his Junior season a teammate blew through my son's upper arm severely tearing his labrum and ripping some bone from his scapula. Surgery happened less than 2 weeks after his injury. It took roughly 7 months for him to recover from the surgery enough to be cleared for football activities (training) and he was cleared to play in games prior to the start of his senior season. His doctors were MLB and NHL team doctors, highly respected in the field. His PT (DPT) worked with professional soccer, football, and baseball players as well as college football players. He returned to lifting roughly 4 months after surgery and he started light but progressed rapidly and was setting new PR's by 1 year post op. He plays football in college and his shoulder isn't an issue. He looks forward to his senior year on the DLine.