Closed Thread
Page 21 of 278 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast
    AlekTrev006 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just wanted to hop in here and state my thanks to All-Pro for creating this great routine. I have been using it since March-29th, when I committed to finally going back to the gym (Lifting weights), in conjunction with much better overall eating (actually counting Macros for the first time in my life - lol) - I had done the basic calorie counting and light cardio, in the past, but never anything this formalized (with the macros), and hadn't actually done free weight lifting for nearly 7-years !!

So coming into All-Pro, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've found it to be a great workout that has really started to bring out some muscular tone and definition (mostly on my upper arms, chest, and quads/calves), in just the few weeks that I've been doing it. I'm 5-10, 235 - and want to ultimately get down to 180-185, though I understand this may take a while (most people on BB.com seem to prefer the "lose only 1-pound of weight per week" method, as opposed to the more-widely stated "you can lose up to 2-pounds a week, healthily", that you see a lot online and in mags, etc).

My questions to either All-Pro (or anyone else on the program who could kindly chime in with the answers) are:

1.) For some reason, I had not paid full attention to the idea of "Heavy - Medium - Light" days - and for these first few weeks, had just been doing the same weights (still using the 25% , 50%, 100% for 2 work sets structure All-Pro mentions), for each of the days in a given week, while only increasing the Reps (as he mentions), from week to week. So - for example...my heaviest Barbell Curl that I have been doing so far is the 45-pound one, from my gym's rack, and for the first week I was doing it 8-reps, then 9 for second week, then 10 for third week, etc ....but since the weights would get so pathetically low for the 25% and 50% values, that they don't even challenge me - I've been using a modified value for some of the exercises.

For example, for my current Barbell Curls - I had been doing the 35-Pound Bar to do the 10 Warm Ups, then the 40-Pound bar for the second Warm Up set, then finally the 45-pound one for the two "Work Sets".

Is something like this "okay" to use when you are starting out and the weights don't actually "break down" into 50% or 25% of max - numbers, that are actually even enough to break a sweat (seriously, can you imagine me doing 11-pound bicep curls for my 25% of Max "Warm up" -lol !) ?

2.) I tried to correctly bring in the "Heavy / Medium / Light" part of the plan today, and simply used what I did Tuesday (with the full values) as my "Heavy Day" for the week. I then had today be my "Medium Day" with 10% less weight for the Work Sets. This ties in with my above question though, because it makes some of the exercises have basically the same "2nd Warm Up" weight value as the final "2 Work Set's" weight.

Example - if my Bicep Curl max is 45-pound bar, and I tried to "reduce that value by 10% for the Medium Day" - it basically turns back into a "40 Pound Bar" - but this is already what I have been using for my "2nd Warm up" number (the 50% of max Warm Up, if you follow me). Using this "Medium / Light' - etc - breakdown, would I actually do - Warm Up 1 - 35 Pounds, Warm Up 2 - 40 Pounds, Work Set-1 - 40 Pounds, Work Set-2 - 40 Pounds ??!? It seems odd that this is what All-Pro intended ?

Maybe it's just goofy because my starting-out weights are so light, and he assumed people would be starting with heavier values that easily break down into 25% / 50% - type of numbers ?

* I'm really confused about the upcoming "Light Day" - because reducing the Work Sets by 20% ! - would result in them being LIGHTER weights than some of my "Warm Up" weight values !?

I am sure I am goofing something up here, and apologize in advance if the error is an obvious one. In any case, I AM seeing good early results, and I am very appreciative to All-Pro for coming up with this whole routine. Thanks to anyone who can answer these 2 minor questions for me.

Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GP100 View Post
    cycle 6 week 4 medium day.

Sqt-185-4x7
    Bench-4x7
    BOR-150-4x7
    ohp-115-2x11
    sldl-185-2x11
    curls-80-2x11
    calfraises-185-2x11
    shrugs-150-2x11
    Still killing it man.
    View my progress at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154724503

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

Low aim is the biggest crime a man can commit. -- Bruce Lee

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by AlekTrev006 View Post
    I just wanted to hop in here and state my thanks to All-Pro for creating this great routine. I have been using it since March-29th, when I committed to finally going back to the gym (Lifting weights), in conjunction with much better overall eating (actually counting Macros for the first time in my life - lol) - I had done the basic calorie counting and light cardio, in the past, but never anything this formalized (with the macros), and hadn't actually done free weight lifting for nearly 7-years !!

So coming into All-Pro, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I've found it to be a great workout that has really started to bring out some muscular tone and definition (mostly on my upper arms, chest, and quads/calves), in just the few weeks that I've been doing it. I'm 5-10, 235 - and want to ultimately get down to 180-185, though I understand this may take a while (most people on BB.com seem to prefer the "lose only 1-pound of weight per week" method, as opposed to the more-widely stated "you can lose up to 2-pounds a week, healthily", that you see a lot online and in mags, etc).

My questions to either All-Pro (or anyone else on the program who could kindly chime in with the answers) are:

1.) For some reason, I had not paid full attention to the idea of "Heavy - Medium - Light" days - and for these first few weeks, had just been doing the same weights (still using the 25% , 50%, 100% for 2 work sets structure All-Pro mentions), for each of the days in a given week, while only increasing the Reps (as he mentions), from week to week. So - for example...my heaviest Barbell Curl that I have been doing so far is the 45-pound one, from my gym's rack, and for the first week I was doing it 8-reps, then 9 for second week, then 10 for third week, etc ....but since the weights would get so pathetically low for the 25% and 50% values, that they don't even challenge me - I've been using a modified value for some of the exercises.

For example, for my current Barbell Curls - I had been doing the 35-Pound Bar to do the 10 Warm Ups, then the 40-Pound bar for the second Warm Up set, then finally the 45-pound one for the two "Work Sets".

Is something like this "okay" to use when you are starting out and the weights don't actually "break down" into 50% or 25% of max - numbers, that are actually even enough to break a sweat (seriously, can you imagine me doing 11-pound bicep curls for my 25% of Max "Warm up" -lol !) ?

2.) I tried to correctly bring in the "Heavy / Medium / Light" part of the plan today, and simply used what I did Tuesday (with the full values) as my "Heavy Day" for the week. I then had today be my "Medium Day" with 10% less weight for the Work Sets. This ties in with my above question though, because it makes some of the exercises have basically the same "2nd Warm Up" weight value as the final "2 Work Set's" weight.

Example - if my Bicep Curl max is 45-pound bar, and I tried to "reduce that value by 10% for the Medium Day" - it basically turns back into a "40 Pound Bar" - but this is already what I have been using for my "2nd Warm up" number (the 50% of max Warm Up, if you follow me). Using this "Medium / Light' - etc - breakdown, would I actually do - Warm Up 1 - 35 Pounds, Warm Up 2 - 40 Pounds, Work Set-1 - 40 Pounds, Work Set-2 - 40 Pounds ??!? It seems odd that this is what All-Pro intended ?

Maybe it's just goofy because my starting-out weights are so light, and he assumed people would be starting with heavier values that easily break down into 25% / 50% - type of numbers ?

* I'm really confused about the upcoming "Light Day" - because reducing the Work Sets by 20% ! - would result in them being LIGHTER weights than some of my "Warm Up" weight values !?

I am sure I am goofing something up here, and apologize in advance if the error is an obvious one. In any case, I AM seeing good early results, and I am very appreciative to All-Pro for coming up with this whole routine. Thanks to anyone who can answer these 2 minor questions for me.

1) You probably can get away with heavy/heavy/heavy for the first cycle and maybe into the second cycle. The thing is that eventually it would cause a recovery problem and you will not be able to progress your lifts. By doing heavy/medium/light you are providing the necessary stimulus during the muscle recovery overlap periods and still getting results without beating yourself to a pulp.

Warm-ups only NEED to be done on the first three exercises (squat, Bench, BOR) therefore you should not need to worry about the warm-up weights for the other exercises. If you still want to do them then I would do 50% warm-ups because warm-ups should be just that and should not affect your ability to do your work sets.

2) In your example of curls. If you are curling 45 lbs on heavy day and you want to warm-up I would do two warm-up sets with 20 lbs and then do your 2 work sets at 45 lbs. On medium day I would use the same warm-up and then 2 work sets of 40 lbs. On light day I would do two warm-up sets with 20 lbs again and the two work sets of 35 lbs.

Most of us just pick a set of warm-up weights for each exercise and use the same weights throughout the entire cycle. As your lifts get heavier you may find it advantageous to use 33% and 66% warm-up weights as it becomes a bigger weight jump from 50%. Just do what you feel is right for you.

Hope this answers your questions but if it does not feel free to ask about anything you don't understand.

Good luck.
    View my progress at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154724503

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

Low aim is the biggest crime a man can commit. -- Bruce Lee

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

k1ngoftheranch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anyone else get joint pain???...picked up some glucosamine today...i know it takes awhile to build up in your system ...see if it helps...

GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks Mainer. I forgot to enter the bench weight. Went back and fixed it.

King no joint pain except for my left knee but its been messed up long before starting this. Actually over pst few weeks knee seems to be getting better. What I have had issues with last 2 weeks are my hands. They've been aching and grip giving out on the sldl.

msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) msp701 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys, I have an SLDL question.

I have always done them as the videos in the first post.

Yesterday, I saw this Candito video - youtube DOT COM /watch?v=08KtLCXYnwY (sorry, can't post links), where he does them much further out from his legs and off the floor.

What do you guys do? What are your thoughts on Candito's method?

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by msp701 View Post
    Hey guys, I have an SLDL question.

I have always done them as the videos in the first post.

Yesterday, I saw this Candito video - youtube DOT COM /watch?v=08KtLCXYnwY (sorry, can't post links), where he does them much further out from his legs and off the floor.

What do you guys do? What are your thoughts on Candito's method?
    While i havent watched the sticky video in a while, the candito way is correct other than this: If you can touch the floor, you should stand on plates or a platform to turn it into a deficit lift. The correct way to do the all pro SLDL is never touch the ground, or at least touch and go. Its main goal is to get the ham string rom as long as possible, with progression via range of motion. Adding weight to the lift is secondary to increasing the rom.

AlekTrev006 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mainer215 View Post
    1) You probably can get away with heavy/heavy/heavy for the first cycle and maybe into the second cycle. The thing is that eventually it would cause a recovery problem and you will not be able to progress your lifts. By doing heavy/medium/light you are providing the necessary stimulus during the muscle recovery overlap periods and still getting results without beating yourself to a pulp.

Warm-ups only NEED to be done on the first three exercises (squat, Bench, BOR) therefore you should not need to worry about the warm-up weights for the other exercises. If you still want to do them then I would do 50% warm-ups because warm-ups should be just that and should not affect your ability to do your work sets.

2) In your example of curls. If you are curling 45 lbs on heavy day and you want to warm-up I would do two warm-up sets with 20 lbs and then do your 2 work sets at 45 lbs. On medium day I would use the same warm-up and then 2 work sets of 40 lbs. On light day I would do two warm-up sets with 20 lbs again and the two work sets of 35 lbs.

Most of us just pick a set of warm-up weights for each exercise and use the same weights throughout the entire cycle. As your lifts get heavier you may find it advantageous to use 33% and 66% warm-up weights as it becomes a bigger weight jump from 50%. Just do what you feel is right for you.

Hope this answers your questions but if it does not feel free to ask about anything you don't understand.

Good luck.

Excellent ! Thanks for your kind and fast reply Mainer. I'm sure I can do "more" (heavier) weight for single/double/triple type rep numbers, but since the program wants me to do (at the moment) 11 or 12 reps of things (as I'm near the final week), it's hard to do higher weights (at the point I'm at, at least) - and still finish all of them successfully. So this is what I've been going on currently (consider this my "heavy day" numbers):

Squats - 30 pounds on bar, plus whatever the bar itself weighs / 50 for the 2nd warm up set / 70 for the final set

Bench - 50 plus bar for first warm up / 70 plus bar for second warm up / 80-90 for "work sets" (plus bar)

B-Over-Row- 30 / 40 / 45

Overhead Press (my favorite exercise I think - I just find this really enjoyable to do for some reason !) - 30 / 35 / 40-45

Stiff Legged DL - (my least favorite only cause I'm still fiddly with getting the form right and feeling it properly in the glutes / hamstrings as much as people say I should) - 20 (plus long bar) / 30 (plus bar) / 50 (plus bar)

BB Curls - 30 / 40 / 45

Calf - 110 / 150 / 170

--------------------

I realize these numbers are probably really pathetic, but I do find them actually causing me to develop muscle and tone in a lot of areas on my body, which I consider a good thing, thus far -so it must be doing some good. Also, I've noticed my heart rate (with my Polar HR tracker) goes crazy on both Squats and the Deadlifts (like 150-175 when doing these exercises, way more than any of the other exercises in the routine). I assume this is normal, as these two exercises really tax your overall body / muscles / etc ?

Lastly - is it accurate if (at the end of these workouts)- my Polar Calorie burn estimate (based on my 5-10/235 frame, and other biometrics programmed in) - should show around 750-1000 cals burned for the 1.5 hours or so it takes me to go through everything ? (I include a 15-minute light jog / warm up on Treadmill or Elliptical that typically burns 100 of those calories, and the rest comes from doing the various exercises, till I'm finished).

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by AlekTrev006 View Post
    Excellent ! Thanks for your kind and fast reply Mainer. I'm sure I can do "more" (heavier) weight for single/double/triple type rep numbers, but since the program wants me to do (at the moment) 11 or 12 reps of things (as I'm near the final week), it's hard to do higher weights (at the point I'm at, at least) - and still finish all of them successfully. So this is what I've been going on currently (consider this my "heavy day" numbers):

Squats - 30 pounds on bar, plus whatever the bar itself weighs / 50 for the 2nd warm up set / 70 for the final set

Bench - 50 plus bar for first warm up / 70 plus bar for second warm up / 80-90 for "work sets" (plus bar)

B-Over-Row- 30 / 40 / 45

Overhead Press (my favorite exercise I think - I just find this really enjoyable to do for some reason !) - 30 / 35 / 40-45

Stiff Legged DL - (my least favorite only cause I'm still fiddly with getting the form right and feeling it properly in the glutes / hamstrings as much as people say I should) - 20 (plus long bar) / 30 (plus bar) / 50 (plus bar)

BB Curls - 30 / 40 / 45

Calf - 110 / 150 / 170

--------------------

I realize these numbers are probably really pathetic, but I do find them actually causing me to develop muscle and tone in a lot of areas on my body, which I consider a good thing, thus far -so it must be doing some good. Also, I've noticed my heart rate (with my Polar HR tracker) goes crazy on both Squats and the Deadlifts (like 150-175 when doing these exercises, way more than any of the other exercises in the routine). I assume this is normal, as these two exercises really tax your overall body / muscles / etc ?

Lastly - is it accurate if (at the end of these workouts)- my Polar Calorie burn estimate (based on my 5-10/235 frame, and other biometrics programmed in) - should show around 750-1000 cals burned for the 1.5 hours or so it takes me to go through everything ? (I include a 15-minute light jog / warm up on Treadmill or Elliptical that typically burns 100 of those calories, and the rest comes from doing the various exercises, till I'm finished).
    When posting numbers, post numbers, not X + bar. So your bench isnt bad if you say 135 (or 1 plate).

Yes your heart rate will go through the roof. The Health cue is it drops like a rock. If you have 1 foot in the grave and one on a banana peel then your heart rate will go up, and stay up for 5-10minutes after you are done with the lift.

As far as calories burnt, Unless you are Felps you are not burning 500 calories an hour. While it is possible for some humans, you are not burning 500 cals an hour swinging around 150lbs ever few minutes. if that was the case then army folk on a rut march would spontaneously combust and come back after 2 hours 2 pounds lighter at the same hydration level. While it is possible to burn 1000-1500 calories an hour, you would have to be squating every 5 seconds for the entire hour.

A nice est for someone swinging around 150lbs is 250cals an hour. your weight doesnt really matter because you are not moving your carcass in the horizontal plain. Pushing 150lbs away from you is the same for 100 lb person as it is a 300lb person. At best there would be a calorie miss match on squats since its body wieght + load.

Registered User bulkinseasonbro's Avatar
    bulkinseasonbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been doing this routine for two weeks.
    I have done SLs for 2 years. First year was not correct - second year was better. Im about 176pounds 5'11 decent shape but a belly that i never had when i was younger and not happy about.

On to my question, why only2 worksets for muscles. Would more 3-4 sets not increase hyper or are you designing the program with the fact that most beginners would give up from all the volume. I was just wondering for the reason.
    My lifts right now on 5rep max are -
    Bench 160
    Deads 295
    squat 235
    rows 135
    OHP 95

I think I am a beginner - partially because I think I am. But my question was just why is it only 2 sets. I am so drained on heavy day after 8 reps for 2 sets - but I was just wondering why it sets 2 across and not more. I always thought bodybuilders do many sets across. Sorry to trouble yall

Originally Posted by bulkinseasonbro View Post
    I have done SLs for 2 years. First year was not correct - second year was better. Im about 176pounds 5'11 decent shape but a belly that i never had when i was younger and not happy about.

On to my question, why only2 worksets for muscles. Would more 3-4 sets not increase hyper or are you designing the program with the fact that most beginners would give up from all the volume. I was just wondering for the reason.
    Bench 160
    Deads 295
    squat 235
    rows 135
    OHP 95

I think I am a beginner - partially because I think I am. But my question was just why is it only 2 sets. I am so drained on heavy day after 8 reps for 2 sets - but I was just wondering why it sets 2 across and not more. I always thought bodybuilders do many sets across. Sorry to trouble yall
    Most beginner routines alternate squat/DL and bench/OHP and a few others. The reason everything is 2 sets on all pro is that you are hitting every muscle group 4 times. 2 sets OHP, 2 sets bench, boom 4 sets for triceps. Same with legs, 2 sets squat 2 sets SLDL, 4 sets total. You row and you curl, 4 sets for bicep.

Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Most beginner routines alternate squat/DL and bench/OHP and a few others. The reason everything is 2 sets on all pro is that you are hitting every muscle group 4 times. 2 sets OHP, 2 sets bench, boom 4 sets for triceps. Same with legs, 2 sets squat 2 sets SLDL, 4 sets total. You row and you curl, 4 sets for bicep.
    Makes sense.
    So will this cause greater aesthetic gains than doing 4 sets of just rows vs just 2 sets of rows and 2 sets of curls? I assume that when you break it up the curls is less taxing than the rows but you still work the biceps because you want growth in that area.

Also, i am correct to assume that I am a beginner right?

I am just tired of reddit.com/r/fitness and the whole do madcow or sl being shoved down my throat.

Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Bench 160
    Deads 295
    squat 235
    rows 135
    OHP 95

The AllPro workouts go like this from what I've gathered:

AllPro Beginner
    AllPro Novice
    AllPro Intermediate (I think there are 2 versions of this)

Originally Posted by Sader762 View Post
    The AllPro workouts go like this from what I've gathered:

AllPro Beginner
    AllPro Novice
    AllPro Intermediate (I think there are 2 versions of this)
    ok i read somewhere that if you can do 75% your bench and 100% your body weight in squats then you are not a beginner. So i am a bit confused. I guess it wont hurt to do a cycle of this and then move to novice - is there a link handy googling only shows me intermediate and beginner posts?
    Sorry for all the questions guys. Sort of new to this and sick of being a skinny bitch

Makes sense.
    So will this cause greater aesthetic gains than doing 4 sets of just rows vs just 2 sets of rows and 2 sets of curls? I assume that when you break it up the curls is less taxing than the rows but you still work the biceps because you want growth in that area.

Also, i am correct to assume that I am a beginner right?

I am just tired of reddit.com/r/fitness and the whole do madcow or sl being shoved down my throat.
    Not quite. You can work with the heavy 2 set weight of the row vs 10-15% lighter to complete 4 sets. All pro is a fatigue based training method. Its why there is a 90 sec max time limit on rest, vs other programs where its 3-5min(technically infinity, but past 5min the odds of getting another rep are slim). The first set prefatigues you for the 2nd set so you get just as much growth, but working with lighter weights. So the super heavy (compared to doing 4 set weight) row prefatigues you for the curl.

You are a beginner on this routine till around the time you can do body weight for 12 reps on the bench and 1.5x bw on the squat. Before that this program will still work for you better than an intermediate routine.

Madcow is an intermediate routine for people who already hit the magic numbers of 1 plate OHP, 2 plate bench, 3 plate squat, and 4 plate normal dead lift, all for reps. Before that, even the reddit police should say to do a 5x5 or SS before you start madcow. Plus madcow is to put on meat for college football players, so make sure that "look" is what you are going for.

Kyusss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started this routine today and figured I'll make a post here. I could use some advice, especially regarding the curls. I have no experience with working out prior to this.

(converted kg into lbs)
    Squat: 77

Bench press: 62
    I'm using dumbbells for this since I feel more comfortable doing this on my own. Couldn't quite target my chest very well but I assume my form will improve over time.

Bent-over row: 77

Overhead press: 62
    Also used dumbbells, feels better that way. Is it okay to do these seated?

SLDL: 88
    Seemed like it was hitting my lower back a lot more than my hamstrings. I was going as low as right below the knee, will try to go lower next time and see if that helps.

BB Curls: I couldn't finish my second set because my forearm gave out before really hitting the biceps. I have some kind of injury there. I have no problems doing machine preacher curls, I wonder if I should do those instead since it is just an isolation excercise anyway? Or should I do the upright rows instead and forget about curling?

Calf raises: 192
    I do these with a machine leg press, the kind where the chair moves horizontally. Don't suppose it matters much how calf raises are done.

ok i read somewhere that if you can do 75% your bench and 100% your body weight in squats then you are not a beginner. So i am a bit confused. I guess it wont hurt to do a cycle of this and then move to novice - is there a link handy googling only shows me intermediate and beginner posts?
    Sorry for all the questions guys. Sort of new to this and sick of being a skinny bitch
    75%/100% is the point on all pro beginner that you switch to novice, which is 3 sets of 4-8 reps for the first 3 lifts. its a segway before you hit bw for 12 bench and 1.5x bw for 12 squat. At that point you move on to all pro intermediate v2 which is 4 sets of the first 3 lifts witrh 4-8 rep range, with 2 heavy days per week (no heavy/medium/light). All 4 allpro intermediate routines are combined in one sticky, but its pretty hetick and not many postings.

Originally Posted by Kyusss View Post
    I started this routine today and figured I'll make a post here. I could use some advice, especially regarding the curls. I have no experience with working out prior to this.

(converted kg into lbs)
    Squat: 77

Bench press: 62
    I'm using dumbbells for this since I feel more comfortable doing this on my own. Couldn't quite target my chest very well but I assume my form will improve over time.

Bent-over row: 77

Overhead press: 62
    Also used dumbbells, feels better that way. Is it okay to do these seated?

SLDL: 88
    Seemed like it was hitting my lower back a lot more than my hamstrings. I was going as low as right below the knee, will try to go lower next time and see if that helps.

BB Curls: I couldn't finish my second set because my forearm gave out before really hitting the biceps. I have some kind of injury there. I have no problems doing machine preacher curls, I wonder if I should do those instead since it is just an isolation excercise anyway? Or should I do the upright rows instead and forget about curling?

Calf raises: 192
    I do these with a machine leg press, the kind where the chair moves horizontally. Don't suppose it matters much how calf raises are done.
    squats good
    Bench press with dumb bells will be slower progression. To work chest more, pause more at chest level.

OHP. Stand if you can, its the 2nd core workout. Alot of us have to do them seated because of them there ceilings. But seriously you might have to drop the weight by half if you get to 110lbs and then try standing, your back will compress into an S.

SLDL, sounds like form problem, you might be doing the Romanian version by mistake. If you are not feeling a massive stretch in your hams you are doing it wrong, and just bouncing up and down with your back. Remember to bend your legs alittle, and back should be parallel with floor when the weight is touching the floor if you are using 45's. Remember not to touch the floor, if you can, stand on a platform so you can go lower.

99% of the problems with the BB curl is hand placement, and remembering to never move your wrists. In a worse case you can lock your wrists away from you so you break the habit of curling the weight towards you with your wrists. Hand placement should be touching knees if you bend down to pick up the bar, or at least a half a hand closer than your bench grip(doesnt help since you use db's)

Anything goes on calf raises since its an accessory for people who have problems with calf size (sorry its mostly genetic). As long as its full range you are good.

Kyusss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    squats good
    Bench press with dumb bells will be slower progression. To work chest more, pause more at chest level.

OHP. Stand if you can, its the 2nd core workout. Alot of us have to do them seated because of them there ceilings. But seriously you might have to drop the weight by half if you get to 110lbs and then try standing, your back will compress into an S.

SLDL, sounds like form problem, you might be doing the Romanian version by mistake. If you are not feeling a massive stretch in your hams you are doing it wrong, and just bouncing up and down with your back. Remember to bend your legs alittle, and back should be parallel with floor when the weight is touching the floor if you are using 45's. Remember not to touch the floor, if you can, stand on a platform so you can go lower.

99% of the problems with the BB curl is hand placement, and remembering to never move your wrists. In a worse case you can lock your wrists away from you so you break the habit of curling the weight towards you with your wrists. Hand placement should be touching knees if you bend down to pick up the bar, or at least a half a hand closer than your bench grip(doesnt help since you use db's)

Anything goes on calf raises since its an accessory for people who have problems with calf size (sorry its mostly genetic). As long as its full range you are good.
    Thanks.

I'll keep my wrists in mind for the curls and do the OHP standing then, perhaps with a barbell.

I was probably doing Romanian DL's. Should I keep my shoulder blades together for the SLDL?

deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    guys I want to add these to the routine

- Weighted hanging leg raises
    - Reverse crunches
    - Decline sit ups (elbow to opposite knee)
    - Oblique cable crunches
    should I do these on the rest days or on the working days

how many minutes of hiit cardio should I aim for along with the above mentioned exercises

also I just wanted to know how much should a guy stepping in the gym for the first time select how many pounds to start off with all the exercises?
    Last edited by deepsal; 04-18-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Originally Posted by Kyusss View Post
    Thanks.

I'll keep my wrists in mind for the curls and do the OHP standing then, perhaps with a barbell.

I was probably doing Romanian DL's. Should I keep my shoulder blades together for the SLDL?
    No, lock your shoulder blades down, you are allowed to round your upper back, but locking the blades down and setting your hips back alittle will prevent lower back rounding.

Originally Posted by deepsal View Post
    guys I want to add these to the routine

- Weighted hanging leg raises
    - Reverse crunches
    - Decline sit ups (elbow to opposite knee)
    - Oblique cable crunches

should I do these on the rest days or on the working days
    also I just wanted to know how much should a guy stepping in the gym for the first time select how many pounds to start off with all the exercises?
    Do them when ever you want if they dont affect your lifts. If they affect your lifts then do them right after medium and light workouts, and possibly the day after light day.

This is a beginners routine that corrects major muscle imbalances every one has so there is no recommended weight. Some people are bench monsters but cant squat the bar. Others couldnt row a boat but can pick up a tank.
    Read the faq and do the routine trying to pick a weight you can do 5-10 times, then pop that number in rep calc to get your ten rep max. Then just start the program at 8 reps.

deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50) deepsal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No, lock your shoulder blades down, you are allowed to round your upper back, but locking the blades down and setting your hips back alittle will prevent lower back rounding.

Do them when ever you want if they dont affect your lifts. If they affect your lifts then do them right after medium and light workouts, and possibly the day after light day.

This is a beginners routine that corrects major muscle imbalances every one has so there is no recommended weight. Some people are bench monsters but cant squat the bar. Others couldnt row a boat but can pick up a tank.
    Read the faq and do the routine trying to pick a weight you can do 5-10 times, then pop that number in rep calc to get your ten rep max. Then just start the program at 8 reps.
    thanks for replying....if you don't mind
    -I am 5"10 180 pounds with a high bf % due to being a vegan living on a low protein diet for most of my life,combined with sedentary lifestyle

should I
    a)eat at maintenance for 6 months and cut
    b)eat 100 cals above maintenance and cut after 6 months
    c)cut and get around 12% bf then bulk
    d)bulk with 120% of maintenance(don't want to)

Originally Posted by deepsal View Post
    thanks for replying....if you don't mind
    -I am 5"10 180 pounds with a high bf % due to being a vegan living on a low protein diet for most of my life,combined with sedentary lifestyle

should I
    a)eat at maintenance for 6 months and cut
    b)eat 100 cals above maintenance and cut after 6 months
    c)cut and get around 12% bf then bulk
    d)bulk with 120% of maintenance(don't want to)
    We recommend not changing your diet for the first 2 cycles unless: diet is complete crap, or your are morbily obese. If you are in the lower 20's for bf or skinny fat, and were not gaining weight before the program, and getting around 100 grams of protein a day, its best to stick with your current eating habits. Over 2 cycles you will normaly find you lost 2lbs of fat and gained 2lbs of muscle, without even trying.

As for a min recomended diet:
    100grams of fats
    100grams of protein
    150-200 grams of carbs.

Dont go below those on a cut. If you need more calories to perform or to keep from losing weight(skinny fat), keep upping the carbs (normal range for a male is 300-400 grams when not on a cut). The 100 grams of protein is enough to gain over a pound of muscle a week (contrary to the advice of someone selling you a supplement), and the 100 grams of fats is enough to keep your joints and hormone levels healthy.

Now you can go higher than 100g on fat and protein, but it shouldnt be a goal. Hell if you just ate straight 3000 cals of oats every day you would hit over 100 grams of protein.

Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sader762 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

That is just a guide.

I can do the 75/100 thing now with no experience. I have been active all my life working out, but I haven't lifted weights in 20 years. So I am a beginner. For my first cycle through AllPro I picked a weight that I know I could of passed 12 reps on all the exercises. Why? Because I felt it was very important to make sure that my form was very good before I tried to tackle heavier weights, especially since I have become slightly older...

I am sure that by cycle 3 of AllPro things will get pretty tough.

ETA: Added in my Macros for those wondering

5'9" - 172#

Currently Cutting at 1900 CALs
    Carbs - 190
    Protein - 125
    Fats - 70

When eating at Maintenance (My TDEE) at 2400 CALs
    Carbs - 240
    Protein - 145
    Fats - 100

I use MyFitnessPal
    Last edited by Sader762; 04-18-2014 at 01:15 PM.

campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500) campeao is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hamstrings still hurt from the heavy session

Would it be better to make today the "light" session and in 2 days the medium due to the muscle still being sore

TheJTF2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJTF2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJTF2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheJTF2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started cycle 1, but I forgot the deloadings .. Should I finish cycle 1 without ever deloading and start the Heavy/Medium/Light days on cycle 2 or start now ?

After my workouts I am tired, but I feel like I could do just a little more. ( Probably do to low weights for cycle 1, I will probably increase 15% to start cycle 2)

LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10) LittlestGiant is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LittlestGiant View Post
    Did my testing few days ago to start the program, novice program so 3 sets for reps progressing from 4 to 8 on first three exercises.

This is what I got..

Squat-135lbs for 6 reps. Gonna start here. Maybe had another rep and I got 185lbs for one few days before but was really trying to go deep so feel good here

Bench press-135lbs for 5 reps. Should I just go ahead and start here since it was so close or knock it down to 125 or 130 for first cycle??

BOR-85lbs for 6 reps. Could have and did get a bit more weight but felt my form and reps weren't solid so gonna start lower here at the 85lbs

OHP-65lbs for 10 reps. Little struggle so feel good here

SLDL-155lbs for 10 reps. Feel good here no grip issue either and my hammies are really feeling it still two days later

BB curls-55lbs for 10 reps. Struggle here but hit 10 with form so gonna start here

Calf raises-185lbs for 10 reps. Again felt good so feel good starting here

So how does this all look?? Suggestions on the bench press??

Also beginning of the week I weighed 139.4lbs so am I ok to do novice version?
    Did anyone have any input for me??

Originally Posted by LittlestGiant View Post
    Did anyone have any input for me??
    You probably should not be moving to the novice program since you do not meet the 75% BW Bench Press for 12 reps and the 100% BW Squat for 12 reps.

I have a feeling that this is what the experienced lifters will tell you.

Originally Posted by Sader762 View Post
    You probably should not be moving to the novice program since you do not meet the 75% BW Bench Press for 12 reps and the 100% BW Squat for 12 reps.

I have a feeling that this is what the experienced lifters will tell you.
    Hes doing 135 for 5 on the bench. I didnt switch till i did 135(45's) for 12, and then i only switched due to shoulders not liking the high volume set. he might only be doing 105(25's and a 5) for 12 for 2 sets. I was also doing bo rows for 115(35's) for 12.

k1ngoftheranch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So im doing sldl with 185# standing on a platform knees very slightly bent go down til bar hits feet but i mostly feel it in lower back?? I am pretty flexible...??