Closed Thread
Page 1 of 278 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

AllPro: A Simple Beginner's Routine part V

Don't rep me for this thread, just continuing it since threads aren't allowed to go over 10k posts.
    ------------------------
    Part 1:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    Part 2:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=133395553
    Part 3:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=147447933
    Part 4:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=155009423
    Read the FAQ Below before asking any questions please!

Originally Posted by allpro
    A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    All Pro Notes and comments.pdf

FAQ

Question 1: So how many sets am I doing exactly?
    Answer: You are doing exactly 2 work-sets for each exercise. In addition, you are doing 2 warm-up sets for the first three exercises only (Squats, Bench Press and Bent Over Rows) - the remaining four exercises do not require warm-ups, however you can do them if you feel the need to. Here is a blue-print for all the sets you should be doing, in that order:

Squats: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bench Press: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Bent Over Row: warm-up, warm-up, work-set, work-set
    Over Head Press: work-set, work-set
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts: work-set, work-set
    Curls: work-set, work-set
    Calf Raises: work-set, work-set

Q2: How do I know what weight I should get started with for each exercise in the routine?
    A:
    This is explained in detail here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post928710923

Q3: Will I gain muscle mass on this routine?
    A:
    despite what you may think, gaining muscle mass is not just about lifting weights; the training is just a catalyst, which will create the conditions necessary for new musclee to be built. However, to actually build that muscle, you need to eat at a calorie surplus (consume more calories than you burn). There is no way around this, and you will not be able to avoid having to do some simple calculations if you want results. To understand this, visit this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981 and make sure to read and understand the entire first post by Emma. If you have any questions regarding diet, ask them in that thread. This is possibly the single most important thread you can read over here - if you will only read on thread, let it be that one.

Q4: I have never lifted before and I am completely out of shape. Is this routine appropriate for me?
    A:
    All Pro designed this routine with EXACTLY you in mind. It's perfect for you.

Q5: I have tested my 10 rep maxes for each exercise. I have already completed two full weeks of the first cycle, and the weights seem too low for me, I feel like I could lift much more! Should I increase the weight?
    A:
    first things first - avoid increasing weight mid-cycle and only do it with the beginning of the next cycle if necessary. Second, the routine is designed so that the first 2-3 weeks will feel relatively easy - this is true for everyone, and you are not superman for feeling the same thing. Finish the first cycle completely (full 5 weeks) without adding any weight to any exercise, even if it does feel too simple. If at the end of the 5th week of the first cycle you still feel that some of the weights are way too low, you may attempt to increase the weight by slightly more than 10% for the next cycle - however, this only makes sense if it was REALLY too easy for you. if it was just a "little" easy, you're better off sticking with the program. All of these dilemmas can be avoided if you simply test your 10 rep maxes for each exercise properly, so make sure to take your time doing that properly.

Q6: there is no triceps exercise in this routine, what gives?
    A:
    your triceps are being hit quite hard during both Bench Presses and the Overhead Presses - as a beginner, you do not need more than that. Do not add any extra triceps work or you are almost guaranteed to fail on either the BP's or the OHP's, or both.

Q7: I like doing pull-ups, push-ups, and standing on my head. Can I add in those exercises into the routine?
    A:
    do not add any extra exercises until you have completed a minimum of 3 cycles. Once you're going into the fourth, and you feel like you need to do some extra work on certain muscles, you can add an isolated assistance exercise for them - do only one set and at the very end of your routine (after calf raises). The assistance exercise follows the same rep scheme as all the other exercises. And do not ever add more than one assistance exercise per cycle - if you do so, and some of your other lifts stall, you won't know which of your new additions might have caused that stall. Stick to only adding one extra assistance exercise per cycle, up to a maximum of two (though I believe that is already pushing it). Only do this if you know and have solid reason to believe that you really do require that extra assistance work - if uncertain, ask in this thread, someone will surely help you out.

Q8: Why are there no regular Deadlifts in this routine, only stiff-legged deadlifts? I feel like a boss doing deadlifts
    A:
    there are two reasons for that:

1) Neither squats nor regular deadlifts address the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, spinal erectors complex) properly. By doing squats + stiff-legged deadlifts, this problem is solved, and a balance is introduced.

2) Squats and regular deadlifts are two exercises that are very taxing to the central nervous system. As a beginner if you did both of those exercises on the same routine, you are more likely to burn out sooner than later. Stif-legged deadlifts solve this issue.

Q9: what type of extra cardio should I do?
    A:
    it is best that you do not overdo your cardio on this routine, since it can get you fatigued enough to hamper your performance in the gym. Two 30 minute jogging sessions (moderate heart rate or HIIT) per week should be enough. I would make sure that none of your cardio takes place on the day right before any of your heavy days. Do any cardio you want to do on rest days. Remember though that cardio is primarily good for your cardiovascular system's health - for fat loss, your diet will be far more important than any cardio that you do.

Q10: What type of ab workouts should I do?
    A:
    seems like everyone responds to different ab exercises, so you will just have to try for yourself and see which one works best for you. you can do cardio either on your off days, or on your work-out days right after the work-out, assuming you still have enough energy for them. if you go for crunches or similar, make sure to do them with extra weight - aim for 15 reps on the first week of the cycle, and add 2 extra reps per week for a total of 25 reps on week 5 of the cycle. Ab workout is not necessary for everybody though - your midsection is getting tons of workout in this routine since it acts as a stabilizer in basically every single exercise. So up to you to decide, though it's probably a good idea not to introduce cardio until after you've completed the entire first cycle. Start with one set, and if it does not hinder your performance in the other exercises - add a second set at the start of the next cycle.

Q11: Are there any videos that show how each exercise should be performed?
    A:
    there are tons of them online. A good place to get started is this playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8FAF74A332E11464

Q12: Can I substitute any of the exercises in this routine for other exercises?
    A:
    as a general rule, no, you can't (barring certain situations where an injury may prevent you from doing a specific movement). One exception being the curls, which can be substituted for standing upright rows (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html). This is more of a compound exercise and it actually fits the rest of the routine more nicely. Curls were added by all pro mostly because "everyone would want to do them anyway", so if your ego will survive it, go for the upright rows instead of the curls - it's a far better overall body exercise. Up to you though.

Q13: Can I use dumbbells instead of a barbell to perform the exercises in this routine?
    A:
    Yes, you can. However, keep in mind that the program was designed with a barbell in mind; some of these exercises are more difficult to perform correctly with dumbbells, not to mention that as the weights you lift increase, your grip on the dumbbells will become a limiting factor (not so with a barbell). Do everything you can to get your hands on a bar, and only use dumbbells as a last resort.

Q14: damn, I missed my medium training day due to [insert any reason here]. What should I do?
    A:
    if for some reason you are not capable of performing three exercises on a given week, you can perform only two, however both will then have to be heavy days. Allow a minimum of 2 rest days both before and after your second heavy day on such a week. However, doing this too often will hinder recovery - the routine was very carefully designed for 3 weekly workouts, and changing that should only be done in extreme cases.

Q15: So I managed to complete all reps for both work-sets for all exercises on my "test day" (heavy day of week 5). How much should I increase my weights for those exercises?
    A:
    You should add 10% to each exercise that you passed, and don't forget to include the weight of the bar. For example, if you use an Olympic 45 lbs. bar, and you load that with 55 lbs. for squats, you would increase the weight up to (55 + 45)*1,1 for the next cycle, which would make it 110 lbs (again, this includes the barbell).

Q16: So I have managed to complete all reps for all exercises on all workouts, except for the overhead press... I only managed to get 11 reps on the second work-set of week 5 heavy day for those... can I bump the weight up anyway for the next cycle? I mean come on, I only missed one rep... pretty please?
    A:
    You can already see by the sarcastic way the question above was phrased that the answer is going to be "no" you can only increase the weight for the next cycle by 10% if you manage to complete 12 reps for each work-set on heavy day of week 5. Not a single rep more, and not a single rep less. If you failed even a single rep, you will need to repeat the weight for that failed exercise for the duration of the entire next cycle (5 week period). This is a safe-guard designed to make sure you do not keep infinitely stalling on the same exercise and to give the involved muscles enough time to rest and recover for some more banging.

Q17: How do I know if I am a "Beginner" or not?
    A:
    A beginner is, generally speaking, anyone who cannot squat twice his body weight, and bench press 1,5 times his body weight, for one repetition. So if you weigh 200 lbs for example, you should be able to squat once for close to 400 lbs. and bench press once for close to 300 lbs, in order to be considered to have moved beyond the "beginner" stage. It has nothing to do with how long you have been lifting weights - there are many people who have been going to the gym for a few years and who are still considered beginners. As long as your lifts are noticeably below the threshold described above, you are still a beginner and you'll benefit greatly from this routine.
    Last edited by nightanole; 03-25-2014 at 11:50 AM.

Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In on first page!

Awesome routine as proven by the need for Part V meaning some 40k+ posts... Keep it up everyone :-)

hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What would a good exercise be to add in cycle 3 ...i was thinking incline bench..

Originally Posted by hopla View Post
    What would a good exercise be to add in cycle 3 ...i was thinking incline bench..
    Most add shrugs or pull ups. What do you feel you are lagging on?

tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tonyflo04 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Let me chime in and say...follow this program as written...trust ME!!!! I'm proof that you can do good things 430 > 225 in under 11 months
    Weight Loss Journey Start - 13 May 2013: 435 Lbs.
    Goal: 190-210 range and sub25% BF
    *Former 400-lbs Crew*
    *Former 300-lbs Crew*

My Mottos:
    Better Everyday
    Win The Day

EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EGN123 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Reply to what you said to me in the old one:

Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    Bare min you cant break up weeks 3-5. Your choices are: skip week 4 light day, and replace it with week 5 heavy test day, and do it 2 days after medium day, or start again at week 2-3 when you get back. If you take a break or repeat a week it will give you a false test day.
    Ok well i might start back on week 3, i would like to replace the week 4 light day with test day but i am just worried i wont be able to increase my weight(even for lower reps) after the week off

sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sambris24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In.

Loving this routine

k1ngoftheranch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In..

GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First I want to say thanks for reposting this so we don't lose it. Also I must say, I'm feeling yesterdays workout today. Did some light treadmill this morning. Tonight all my muscles are tight and tired. AHHH tomorrow is medium day.

Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GP100 View Post
    First I want to say thanks for reposting this so we don't lose it. Also I must say, I'm feeling yesterdays workout today. Did some light treadmill this morning. Tonight all my muscles are tight and tired. AHHH tomorrow is medium day.
    Got to love medium day GP. I just started Cycle 6 and deload day was sweet.

In for the 5th installment.
    View my progress at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154724503

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

Low aim is the biggest crime a man can commit. -- Bruce Lee

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mainer215 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you feel you are lagging in chest then definitely add hammer grip incline dumbbell presses. AllPro really liked this one and I have to agree with his wisdom. Pull-ups, chins, or lat pulldowns would be my other choice.

Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." - George Sheehan

"Why do I lift? I have many things left that I want to do in my life and I cannot think of a single one that I can do from a scooter" - me

Night,

Thanks for setting up installment 5.

ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ClassActJack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    just wanted to be on the first page. So lah de dah dah here i fa la la am

hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10) hopla is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i'm lagging chest and shoulders..so you guys say shrugs,pull ups,hammer grip incline dumbbell presses,lat pull downs...so with pull ups i can do 2 reps of 3 sets only..which of that would be best at this point?..i am doing this program as written it says i can add an exercise from the third cycle...or at least that's what i read on thread

GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000) GreekTrojan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Making sure this thread gets the much needed bump/sticky it deserves.

On a more technical note, I am making progress on my squat form but I still think its off. Any off day (or during) work you could recommend to help getting my form down. My guess is that my quad flexibility is whats really holding me back as I'm having no problems with the deadlift (though I have been doing it sans platform, so I'm going to add a platform at the gym starting next cycle).

ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I used an online calc and couldn't hit my suggested bench 10rm (110) Does my trial-and-error 10rm become my new heavy day weight or what? Trying to get into the swing of cycle 1

jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimt91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you miss a rep on your heavy day of let's say, week 3... do you redo week 3 or the entire cycle starting at 8 reps(week 1)? Would you redo just that exercise you missed a rep on or all of the exercises (so basically at all times will you be doing the same amount of reps for everything)? In the FAQ about OHP, if you missed 1 rep on week 5 it says you have to redo that weight for the next cycle does this mean you add 10% to all of the exercises you completed, except for (in this case) OHP? Or would you redo all of the exercises and basically just restart the cycle with the same weight on everything?

Also I had a problem, I just started this routine, Friday was my initial 10 rep max test day. I was able to do 9 reps of 175, probably could have gotten 10, but I lost my balance(my legs are weak from surgery, but I'm good to go with lifting again so no worries there). It felt hard, but possible so I figured I'd start out my cycle at 165lbs. Today was my first day of doing the actual routine, but my legs were still slightly sore from Fridays 10 rep max test, but I felt I could still squat so I squatted and was winded after about 5 reps with no energy.. dropped the weight to 155lb and only got about 7 more reps out of that. Was pretty disappointed, but was thinking maybe since my legs are still a little sore and I'm on a cut, I just wasn't 100% ready to do my squats, so I put it behind me and went on... Bench press went for a pretty easy 170lb 2x8, then got to rows, at this point was pretty winded, but was able to do them without breaking form... On my final rep of rows though I got a sharp pain in my side and a tingling sensation throughout my body, didn't feel like a cramp or the lightheadedness you'll get from not breathing properly. It was like my whole body went numb and there was a hole in me or something hard to explain... Anyway I felt completely drained and somewhat nervous from that because I've never felt like that before and so I called it a day. At this point I was covered head to toe in sweat, looked like water was dumped on me. Overall I felt like I worked really hard, but my routine didn't play out how I wanted it to at all and I didn't finish everything. I have to lift tues/thurs/sat due to a schedule change this week, but every week other than this I have to do MWF. Since the next time I'll lift will be thursday, and I got to start back up Monday, should I just do my medium day with the weight I was planning on doing with everything before or should I reattempt my "heavy" day? Basically how should I finish out my week productively?

Thanks

kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000) kurent is just really nice. (+1000)
    Light days on this program are really light. Feels like I'm just warming up. Anyone else have a feeling you're just wasting time on light days? I think I'm going to do heavy-rest-medium-rest-light-rest-heavy, no need for two day rest.

Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jonmurgie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kurent View Post
    Light days on this program are really light. Feels like I'm just warming up. Anyone else have a feeling you're just wasting time on light days? I think I'm going to do heavy-rest-medium-rest-light-rest-heavy, no need for two day rest.
    How far into the program are you? I'm guessing Cycle 1 and probably week 1 or 2. Light days shouldn't feel That light as it's only 20% less than your heavy but remember that on the first 2 weeks your on a deload as you're only doing 8/9 reps of your 10 rep max so of course it's going to feel easy on light days.

Personally, you should stick to the routine as written and you'll so find yourself being pushed when you start getting to the 10/11/12 rep weeks and you will need that 2 days rest before heavy day. It might feel easy now but stick with it and it will get tougher, if not then maybe this routine isn't for you and you should try a 5x5 or something else.

All just my 2p so good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Answered in the other thread but put here as well for clarity...

Originally Posted by jimt91 View Post
    If you miss a rep on your heavy day of let's say, week 3... do you redo week 3 or the entire cycle starting at 8 reps(week 1)? Would you redo just that exercise you missed a rep on or all of the exercises (so basically at all times will you be doing the same amount of reps for everything)? In the FAQ about OHP, if you missed 1 rep on week 5 it says you have to redo that weight for the next cycle does this mean you add 10% to all of the exercises you completed, except for (in this case) OHP? Or would you redo all of the exercises and basically just restart the cycle with the same weight on everything?
    You can fail any rep on any day on any cycle EXCEPT the teat day which is Week 5 heavy, you don't redo any week at all. If you fail an exercise then they weight stays the same for THAT exercise only for the next cycle, every exercise you pass you put the weight up 10%.

Also I had a problem, I just started this routine, Friday was my initial 10 rep max test day. I was able to do 9 reps of 175, probably could have gotten 10, but I lost my balance(my legs are weak from surgery, but I'm good to go with lifting again so no worries there). It felt hard, but possible so I figured I'd start out my cycle at 165lbs. Today was my first day of doing the actual routine, but my legs were still slightly sore from Fridays 10 rep max test, but I felt I could still squat so I squatted and was winded after about 5 reps with no energy.. dropped the weight to 155lb and only got about 7 more reps out of that. Was pretty disappointed, but was thinking maybe since my legs are still a little sore and I'm on a cut, I just wasn't 100% ready to do my squats, so I put it behind me and went on... Bench press went for a pretty easy 170lb 2x8, then got to rows, at this point was pretty winded, but was able to do them without breaking form... On my final rep of rows though I got a sharp pain in my side and a tingling sensation throughout my body, didn't feel like a cramp or the lightheadedness you'll get from not breathing properly. It was like my whole body went numb and there was a hole in me or something hard to explain... Anyway I felt completely drained and somewhat nervous from that because I've never felt like that before and so I called it a day. At this point I was covered head to toe in sweat, looked like water was dumped on me. Overall I felt like I worked really hard, but my routine didn't play out how I wanted it to at all and I didn't finish everything. I have to lift tues/thurs/sat due to a schedule change this week, but every week other than this I have to do MWF. Since the next time I'll lift will be thursday, and I got to start back up Monday, should I just do my medium day with the weight I was planning on doing with everything before or should I reattempt my "heavy" day? Basically how should I finish out my week productively?

Thanks
    Hmmm, sounds like you've starters too heavy IMO. The first cycle 2 weeks of a cycle should be fairly easy to complete as they are deload weeks (you're only do 8/9 reps of your 10 rep max). I'd drop all the weights and carry on with the routine, you can increase more than 10% if you feel they are too light come the end of the cycle but try not to keep messing with the weights durning a cycle. What days you train is fine, just ensure you have 2 days rest before the heavy day.

Hope that helps a little, keep going and good luck.

Thanks
    Jim,

You can miss any rep of the program except for the reps on test day. If you fail test day you stay the same for next cycle.

Based on the information that you provided you have started way to heavy for your fitness level. This program works on two things, strength and endurance. It is always better for people to start this program on the light side as endurance can be an issue. I would do another 8 rep day on Thursday, doing the complete program but reduce your squat to 150 lbs, bench to 160 lbs, reduce BOR by 10%, and the rest of your weights by 10%. If everything goes well on Thursday then I would start new on Monday. This program is very friendly on a cut so don't stress about that. I would also advise that during your cut you only raise weight by 5% per cycle.

This is all based on my experiences with the program.

Good luck and keep at it.

As Jon said just do the program as written.

Yes it is real easy at first, it is designed that way. When you get farther in it will get harder. If you are a beginner then the accumulation of volume will start to add up. Just give it time.

This is a marathon not a sprint.

If you really want to see faster weight progression then I would recommend a different program such as SS or fierce 5.

There have been numerous posts over the years that show that in the long run all of the beginner routines, including this one, get you to the same place just using different progression schemes.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by ironlionzion3 View Post
    I used an online calc and couldn't hit my suggested bench 10rm (110) Does my trial-and-error 10rm become my new heavy day weight or what? Trying to get into the swing of cycle 1
    Iron,

Drop the weight by 10-15% on your bench and keep going for the rest of the cycle. Online calculators are just that and do not take into account that you have to actually push the weight. Not knowing how you tested for 10 rep max this is the best advice I can give. It has been my experience that it is better to start lighter then you think so that you maintain proper form.

Good luck.

i'm lagging chest and shoulders..so you guys say shrugs,pull ups,hammer grip incline dumbbell presses,lat pull downs...so with pull ups i can do 2 reps of 3 sets only..which of that would be best at this point?..i am doing this program as written it says i can add an exercise from the third cycle...or at least that's what i read on thread
    Do lat pulldowns with the appropriate weight scheme if you have the equipment to do them. If you want to do pull-up and your gym has an assisted pull-up machine use that.

Good luck.

SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can someone please tell me if this modified AllPro beginner routine will still be effective? The changes are designed to keep some pressure off my lower back (herniated lumbar disk).

Front Squats
    Bench Presses
    Chest-supported Dumbbell Rows
    Sitting Dumbbell Overhead Presses
    Stiff-legged deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FinTheFox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    On my first cycle of this and loving it. The routine has me getting in and out of the gym without wasting any time.

GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GP100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    After a few cycles your light day will be what your heavy day was.To be honest I usually go into light day thinking its going to be a cake walk. I get into it and I think "Oh crap, I thought this was suppose to be light day". Its usually because my muscles are toast from heavy and medium day. But I also think age plays into to it. Just give it some time.

ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100) ironlionzion3 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Mainer215 View Post
    Iron,

Drop the weight by 10-15% on your bench and keep going for the rest of the cycle. Online calculators are just that and do not take into account that you have to actually push the weight. Not knowing how you tested for 10 rep max this is the best advice I can give. It has been my experience that it is better to start lighter then you think so that you maintain proper form.

Good luck.
    Hey thanks man, that's what I'll do, from 110 lbs down to 95. That's medium day, so I'm still shooting for 100+ when I'm fully recovered. PRs baby. BTW tire flips are tha shizznit, doing just one is a long-term goal for me