Thread: Rogue R3

fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Rogue R3

Ordered my Rogue R3 infinity last Sunday at 2am, received it Tuesday morning via UPS freight (basically overnight!). I had to wait till today to build it up, I took some photos (which I can't post yet) during the process so I can share my experiences with other noobs.

I do some seem to have quite a bit of lateral sway. I have it bolted via 2" lag screws to 3 sheets of 3/4" OSB (4' x 6' though due to space restrictions). The sway was there before I bolted it but bolting it down only seemed to calm it down mildly. It doesn't feel unsafe at all just thought I should ask if this is normal? I ordered it with the monkey bar crossmember in place of the fat/skinny bar which I have mounted upside down because I'm only 5'7" so do I need to order additional crossmembers? I can take a video of the sway and post it to youtube if anyone wants to see it. Front to back this thing is solid as a rock but laterally I can rock it by hand enough to make the platform move. It doesn't seem to present any issues during use but being my first rack and subsequent first install I thought I should consult the pros to see if perhaps I did something incorrectly.

I ordered a superbench and landmine too. Everything is definitely top notch stuff and am very pleased with the products. I will post up a complete review with pictures once I hit 50 posts. I would like to throw a shout out to the regulars here, alot of useful information in the archives of the posts here which helped guide to this setup. It was expensive but I believe it was worth it given my goals of minimal footprint maximum saftey/functions.

KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fat1977 View Post
    I will post up a complete review with pictures once I hit 50 posts.
    You can attach photos now, you just won't be able to embed your photos. Someone here will often do the embedding for you. That said, it may be worth waiting until you hit 50 posts so you can control the captions, etc.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ordered my Rogue R3 infinity last Sunday at 2am, received it Tuesday morning via UPS freight (basically overnight!). I had to wait till today to build it up, I took some photos (which I can't post yet) during the process so I can share my experiences with other noobs.

I do some seem to have quite a bit of lateral sway. I have it bolted via 2" lag screws to 3 sheets of 3/4" OSB (4' x 6' though due to space restrictions). The sway was there before I bolted it but bolting it down only seemed to calm it down mildly. It doesn't feel unsafe at all just thought I should ask if this is normal? I ordered it with the monkey bar crossmember in place of the fat/skinny bar which I have mounted upside down because I'm only 5'7" so do I need to order additional crossmembers? I can take a video of the sway and post it to youtube if anyone wants to see it. Front to back this thing is solid as a rock but laterally I can rock it by hand enough to make the platform move. It doesn't seem to present any issues during use but being my first rack and subsequent first install I thought I should consult the pros to see if perhaps I did something incorrectly.

I ordered a superbench and landmine too. Everything is definitely top notch stuff and am very pleased with the products. I will post up a complete review with pictures once I hit 50 posts. I would like to throw a shout out to the regulars here, alot of useful information in the archives of the posts here which helped guide to this setup. It was expensive but I believe it was worth it given my goals of minimal footprint maximum saftey/functions.
    This is normal for that rack design. Plywood is not concrete. It will hold up fine however, don't worry.
    ▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fat1977 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well here are some photos of everything packaged, unpacked and various stages of the build process. I used the band peg attachments as handles to move the cage around to drill holes and cut the mat, worked out pretty well.
    Attached Images

Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mech6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Embeded

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #61 ▪█──█▪

a couple photos of the super bench, extremely solid piece of equipment. lots of flexibility and smooth operation, I like it pretty well, I wanted something easy to adjust so I would be more likely to do incline or decline work. The foot operation is very easy and fluid. There are compromises of course but for what you can do with it, works well. Also made some weight storage pins using 5/8" carriage bolts, washers and some metal piping. I wasn't sure how many I would want and where I would want them located so I opted for the DIY version rather than spend $60/pr.

One of the requirements was the entire thing needed to fit on the 4x6 platform when not being used, I used the 2' section of scrap from the 4'x8' OSB sheets that were trimmed to 4x6 for the platform to create a smaller platform (20" x 15") for the end of the bench when working from the front of the cage, you can see it hasn't been covered with rubber matting yet but it can be stored on the platform when not being used. I am waiting for some vertical bar holders but I did order a York 6' chrome bar as you can see in the photos to help with the restricted space. It fits in the space being stored on the jcups but I'll feel better when it is secured in a storage holder of some sort as there are kids running though here alot. This is the same reason I used smaller diameter pipe on the weight storage pins with big washers to hold the on, makes it difficult to move the plates but they won't fal off if a dog or child runs into them. This entire setup is in our entry/mud room, lots of traffic. Anyway, The bar feels like a quality bar but I don't have enough experience with bars to say one way or the other. I don't have any shots of just the bar but I picked this one based on some info attyguy posted in another thread.

It will be some work to unpack and repack for each workout but it beats driving to the gym or over to my friends house. I can set my own schedule and have no excuses to not train. Having only benched on a smith machine I can say freeweights are a major departure and i have a lot to learn on form and technique, even unracking the bar is foreign right now. Overall I am very pleased with the quality of all the components and customer service from both Rogue and Ironmaster are top notch. Any and all questions via chat or email were answered in short order. Items were shipped the next day and in the case of rogue received the following day (they are in columbus, OH and I am in Fairmont, WV which has a dedicated daily freight route to Columbus)
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by Mech6 View Post
    This is normal for that rack design. Plywood is not concrete. It will hold up fine however, don't worry.
    Thank you, I suspected as much but I just wanted to be sure before I hurt myself or someone else by overlooking some aspect of the build process. Everything is level and the uprights have the same distance top and bottom. Didn't think there was anything else I could really do but maybe get longer lags and some washers but I just don't get the impression it will eliminate it so I doubt I bother with it.

KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) KBKB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm thinking that adding a fat/skinny pull up bar might help with stability:

a couple photos of the super bench, extremely solid piece of equipment. lots of flexibility and smooth operation, I like it pretty well, I wanted something easy to adjust so I would be more likely to do incline or decline work. The foot operation is very easy and fluid. There are compromises of course but for what you can do with it, works well. Also made some weight storage pins using 5/8" carriage bolts, washers and some metal piping. I wasn't sure how many I would want and where I would want them located so I opted for the DIY version rather than spend $60/pr.

One of the requirements was the entire thing needed to fit on the 4x6 platform when not being used, I used the 2' section of scrap from the 4'x8' OSB sheets that were trimmed to 4x6 for the platform to create a smaller platform (20" x 15") for the end of the bench when working from the front of the cage, you can see it hasn't been covered with rubber matting yet but it can be stored on the platform when not being used. I am waiting for some vertical bar holders but I did order a York 6' chrome bar as you can see in the photos to help with the restricted space. It fits in the space being stored on the jcups but I'll feel better when it is secured in a storage holder of some sort as there are kids running though here alot. This is the same reason I used smaller diameter pipe on the weight storage pins with big washers to hold the on, makes it difficult to move the plates but they won't fal off if a dog or child runs into them. This entire setup is in our entry/mud room, lots of traffic. Anyway, The bar feels like a quality bar but I don't have enough experience with bars to say one way or the other. I don't have any shots of just the bar but I picked this one based on some info attyguy posted in another thread.

It will be some work to unpack and repack for each workout but it beats driving to the gym or over to my friends house. I can set my own schedule and have no excuses to not train. Having only benched on a smith machine I can say freeweights are a major departure and i have a lot to learn on form and technique, even unracking the bar is foreign right now. Overall I am very pleased with the quality of all the components and customer service from both Rogue and Ironmaster are top notch. Any and all questions via chat or email were answered in short order. Items were shipped the next day and in the case of rogue received the following day (they are in columbus, OH and I am in Fairmont, WV which has a dedicated daily freight route to Columbus)

Pics embedded.

It looks like an efficient use of the space you have.

GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GarageIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I'm thinking that adding a fat/skinny pull up bar might help with stability:

Yeah, that's what I did with that crossbox rack I built. It helped and was pretty sturdy when unbolted. Bolted down to concrete I didn't notice much different between this setup and the basic R3.

()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

I think mech6 is right about this. I mean obviously concrete is 1000x more rigid than OSB, the platform feels solid but put 1000# on it and start rocking its going to give some. I think Lowes or depot had a long piece of threaded rod, I might pick that up to test with and if it helps at all get an additional crossmember as you suggest.

I've never been to a gym or used any commercial grade equipment but this is definitely in a different class from the smith machine I was using at a friend's house and will last a lifetime. I had debated between the echo and infinity model for a couple weeks but the lack of certain accessories for the echo lead me to the infinity. I could have (and maybe should have) had the desired accessories fabricated by blackwidow or mech for the echo (or gotten a rack altogether from blackwidow with accessories) but I was losing access to my current equipment and needed to get something in quickly.

Again, just wanted to thank the forum members for all the advice (directly and indirectly)

Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000) Vmango is just really nice. (+1000)
    My R3 is very stable bolted into the concrete. That being said there is very slight sway. I'm having Mech fab me some swing safeties and another fat chin bar cross member and I'll be sure to report if the extra chin bar takes care of the sway.

please do! thank you

lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nice looking setup! It's very similar to what I'm using.

I got the Rogue RML-390F (the flat foot one, doesn't require bolting down) and already am regretting it since the plywood bolt-down solution seems to work just fine. Keep us updated on how the plywood works out. I'm also using the Superbench, great little piece of equipment.

Oh well, maybe I can come up with a way to bolt it down after all that trouble.

Originally Posted by lthompson94 View Post
    Nice looking setup! It's very similar to what I'm using.

I got the Rogue RML-390F (the flat foot one, doesn't require bolting down) and already am regretting it since the plywood bolt-down solution seems to work just fine. Keep us updated on how the plywood works out. I'm also using the Superbench, great little piece of equipment.

Oh well, maybe I can come up with a way to bolt it down after all that trouble.
    What are your regrets about buying the RML-390F ? Expense? Lack of stability? Something else?

alen129 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rml-390f

^^ I wanted to ask the same question. I'm deciding between half rack and full, but if i decided to go with full i wanted RMl-390f so i would like to know your thoughts.

Having wrestled with the same decision and, having the RML-390F in the cart several times myself, I believe he is stating he should have saved the $100 and just bolted it down to a platform like this. However, I would like to point at the platform cost approximately $100 to build. The deciding factor(s) for me were the fact I would have needed to put a mat or something down anyway (~$40 of the $100 cost), the weight difference between the 2 (although small difference) and general cost of 2x3 vs 3x3 accessories (also small but can add up quickly). They are all nice systems, just comes down to what you want I gues. Now, if he states he also has sway or stability concerns then that does kind of make it regrettable.

Edit:
    I completed by first all pro workout last night. Free weights are different world than smith machine, I have a lot of stability issues. It took forever to get through the routine as I am also learning my hole spacing needs and the exercise order requires a good deal of set up and tear down in some cases. Not a bad thing just comes with the territory of a prescribed program. The order I used before had more to do with minimizing plate changes rather than efficient muscle working. Glad I bought extra J hooks for moving the bar in and out of the cage and the 6 footer makes it even easier.

Also, I suck at squats, my back is killing me, gotta learn to keep the head up, chest out. Also having not followed a properly balanced program for 18 months has left my shoulders sort of rolled so I can't grip the bar with my hands and have to use straps. I'll get there though, I'm pretty certain its a good kind of pain, like when you have been standing all day meaning you "got worked"
    Last edited by fat1977; 03-24-2014 at 06:09 PM.

lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) lthompson94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    What are your regrets about buying the RML-390F ? Expense? Lack of stability? Something else?
    It's a great rack, don't get me wrong - but yeah it has some stability issues on heavier lifts that get racked hard against the back of the j-cups, or by some ring work. It can slide or tilt. This is prevented by having a good spotter assist on re-rack, and working inside the cage, but alone I can get some slide in it re-racking bench too hard in around the 255-275 range. Squats aren't as bad unless you really dump the weight into the jCup, but have slid it re-racking as low as 365. I don't think that's exclusive to this rack though, I mean it has a 295lb weight, all 11 gauge. It also limits you with things like gymnastic rings, the matador, etc.

Keep in mind I'm talking about the entire rack sliding, not the uprights being rickety. The only issue is that it isn't bolted down, not that it's flimsy in any way. It's incredibly solid for a bolt-together. TI have the fat/skinny on front, seems to help.

All that said, if you absolutely need a rack that isn't bolted down, it's one of the best out there under $1000, and I'm super satisfied with it overall. But honestly, build a platform and get the bolt-down. Even if you don't have issues with it currently, at some point you'll wish it was secured to the floor. Just my 2 cents... didn't wanna hijack the thread
    Last edited by lthompson94; 03-24-2014 at 07:01 PM.

It's a great rack, don't get me wrong - but yeah it has some stability issues on heavier lifts that get racked hard against the back of the j-cups, or by some ring work. It can slide or tilt. This is prevented by having a good spotter assist on re-rack, and working inside the cage, but alone I can get some slide in it re-racking bench too hard in around the 255-275 range. Squats aren't as bad unless you really dump the weight into the jCup, but have slid it re-racking as low as 365. I don't think that's exclusive to this rack though, I mean it has a 295lb weight, all 11 gauge. It also limits you with things like gymnastic rings, the matador, etc.

Keep in mind I'm talking about the entire rack sliding, not the uprights being rickety. The only issue is that it isn't bolted down, not that it's flimsy in any way. It's incredibly solid for a bolt-together. TI have the fat/skinny on front, seems to help.

All that said, if you absolutely need a rack that isn't bolted down, it's one of the best out there under $1000, and I'm super satisfied with it overall. But honestly, build a platform and get the bolt-down. Even if you don't have issues with it currently, at some point you'll wish it was secured to the floor. Just my 2 cents... didn't wanna hijack the thread
    Thanks for your reply. I don't recall anyone else posting in this forum who actually has an RML-390F.

Repped!

59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 59phinz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

In addition to these issues, you also miss out on the sumo base and lower band pegs (I'm not sure if you can use upper band pegs, but the holes are there). Also, keep in mind that the longer base in contact with the floor means that it's critical that your floor be level. I was toying with buying a welded rack (from Stray Dog Strength, as I mentioned in another thread), but ended up going with the R3 30" bolt together (2x3, not the 3x3 ML) as it gave me the most flexibility with an uneven floor (my rack area runs towards the basement drain).

I'm very glad I went with the R3 30" bolt together, once it's bolted to the floor and torqued tight, you cannot get a bit of sway in any direction!

NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10) NordicViking is on a distinguished road. (+10)

1) Is it sitting on a stall mat? If not try it for a little more friction (it's only around $36). You can still put a nice pice of plywood 42"x48" on the stall mat if you rather want to squat on top of a wood floor
    2) Add some plate holders with 45s, to add some more weight to the rack. Seems like you should have room for one on each side without it getting in the way of squatting.
    I rep back!

6'3" SW: 301 CW: 237 GW: 200 10% BF

Originally Posted by NordicViking View Post
    1) Is it sitting on a stall mat? If not try it for a little more friction (it's only around $36). You can still put a nice pice of plywood 42"x48" on the stall mat if you rather want to squat on top of a wood floor
    2) Add some plate holders with 45s, to add some more weight to the rack. Seems like you should have room for one on each side without it getting in the way of squatting.
    Yeah it's on stall mats, guess I could have added that. I've considered putting weight storage on it for stability, but was concerned with things like decline benching, rack pulls, etc. since it's only 30" clearance. I'm probably going to go ahead and do that, at least to test it out. Worst case just use the front uprights and flip the bench around etc. Otherwise I'll just grab some brackets from a hardware store and bolt it down eventually. Good suggestions though!

For what it is, it's an excellent rack. The issues come from it not being bolted down, not from being a crappy rack. Just wanted to throw it out there in case someone was undecided. Get the bolt-down!

I figure the more info on the 390F that's out there, the better. I had a tough time finding reviews for it when I bought it.