Closed Thread
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1278
    Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fructose will however head straight for the liver glycogen store and blow ketosis.

lochick87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

After Workout

Would some oatmeal after my workout be ok? If not, what foods can I eat after a workout? Thanks.
    GO ASTROS! WE BEE-LIEVE!!

"Things can be different only of you make them different."

Oct 20 - 178
    Oct 27 -
    Nov 4 -
    Nov 11 -
    Nov 18 -
    Nov 25 -

Max Bench - 225
    Max Squat - 295
    May Leg Press - 340
    Max DB Curl - 35

dilly has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Re: After Workout

Originally posted by lochick87
    Would some oatmeal after my workout be ok? If not, what foods can I eat after a workout? Thanks.
    Oatmeal post worktout is not what you want. You want simple carbs (think dextrose) with whey protein. You want an immediate insulin spike post workout. Oatmeal will cause a smaller sustained insulin spike because the body must break down the complex carbohydrate chains.
    " Never eat more then you can lift" - Miss piggy
    " If at first you don't succed, find out if the loser gets anything" - Bill Lyon

lochick87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What solid foods would be good then?
    GO ASTROS! WE BEE-LIEVE!!

"Things can be different only of you make them different."

Oct 20 - 178
    Oct 27 -
    Nov 4 -
    Nov 11 -
    Nov 18 -
    Nov 25 -

Max Bench - 225
    Max Squat - 295
    May Leg Press - 340
    Max DB Curl - 35

Immediately post workout IMO there are none. You want liquids. If you absolutley must have solid foods post workout (although I don't see why you would) you would want something with a very high GI.
    " If at first you don't succed, find out if the loser gets anything" - Bill Lyon

IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey Dilly......not disagreeing with you, but I am currently experimenting with using cooked oatmeal in my post workout shake

My understanding is that the effect of exercise is such to create a significant nutrient partitioning stimulus such that the glucose will be targeted to muscles worked and fat will continue to be used for fuel even during the period of raised insulin.

I am not noticing any negative effects from this and the rest of my day is normal keto (I train at 6:00am), plus I feel better without the large surge of plasma glucose that come from dex.

I would not suggest this for the initial stage of keto, but after that I don't think it would be a problem.

Originally posted by IPR
    Hey Dilly......not disagreeing with you, but I am currently experimenting with using cooked oatmeal in my post workout shake

My understanding is that the effect of exercise is such to create a significant nutrient partitioning stimulus such that the glucose will be targeted to muscles worked and fat will continue to be used for fuel even during the period of raised insulin.

I am not noticing any negative effects from this and the rest of my day is normal keto (I train at 6:00am), plus I feel better without the large surge of plasma glucose that come from dex.

I would not suggest this for the initial stage of keto, but after that I don't think it would be a problem.
    Interesting IPR!

joyboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm trying a keto diet and I know I can't have fruits, milk or soda. But are these allowed on the carb up day.
    Last edited by joyboy; 10-24-2003 at 12:43 PM.

irongiant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help

I am 6'6'' 312 lbs. I did atkins before and lost a bunch of weight and a bunch of muscle. I literaly became weaker the lighter i became. I want to try this but after hours of reading a few things are a little blury. This is what I have:

1gm protien per pound of lean body mass
    50gm of carbs
    30/30 shake post workout w/ 10gm glutamine on cardio days
    need help with amount of fat

also on carb loading days, how many carbs? Does protien and fat intake stay the same? Possibly ALA on carb days also.

I would like to thank everyone in this forum for all of the great info. And thanks in advance for your help with this.

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally posted by joyboy
    I'm trying a keto diet and I know I can't have fruits, milk or soda. But are these allowed on the carb up day.
    Fruits only in very limited small amounts........A few diet soda's a week will not hutrt most IMO. Same most carbs except fiberous green ones for your carb-ups.

Talking I think I have it!

Ok here it is:

15 cals per pound of actual body wt. - 500 cals=total cals

1gm protien per lb of lean body wt. x4 = protien cals

50 gm of carbs x4 = carb cals

total cals - protien cals - carb cals = fat cals

Fat cals/9 =fat gm

30/30 post work out shake doesn't count toward totals

On carb load says...protien stays the same

fat gm should be cut down(0 or less than a gm per kg of lbm)

carbs should be 10-12 gm per kg of lean body mass.

could someone verify this or is the blurr just starting to make sense to me?

Lightbulb one more thing

Since your caloric intake is based on wt.
    as you lose you should adjust your fat cals to lower total cals.

is this right?

I hope this is right since it is really starting to make sense.

Re: one more thing

Originally posted by irongiant
    Since your caloric intake is based on wt.
    as you lose you should adjust your fat cals to lower total cals.

is this right?

I hope this is right since it is really starting to make sense.
    Yep............

but keep in mind if energy levels fall....and WO's suffer from it for long.....up the fat a bit.

-- Chi

Got it!

Thanks, I start tommorow.

NewStyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto and Fiber Question

While on the Keto Diet. When adding your vegetables to each meal. I am only 20 grams of carbs per day. Does fiber substract some of the carbs per serving say if fiber is 5 and carbs are 3 then the serving is only 2 carbs. I hope I did not complicate this.
    You are what you eat!

yes net....... carbs = total carbs - fiber - sugar alcohols.

cable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think i posted this in the wrong section before....

what's going on?

quick question before i try this out...thanks for the great posts, btw!

i've always gone high protein and decent carbs in the beginning of the week, then less and less throughout the week, but keeping the protien...

i noticed from the keto article that minimal to no carb is expected from sun - fri, then carb up from fri night - sat...
    from the keto diet plans i was reading, many are going up to 60 grams a day of carbs plus a cup of juice after workout...is this the correct method? it seems 50-60g a day plus juice after workout is a lot for each day (~80g), then you still have the carb-up on the weekend...or is 30-40 g plus juice post workout a day w/ carb up during the weekend more reasonable??

thanks!

It depends on the individual. I am using 50 gm of carb a day and have lost 7lbs in the first week. For some this may be too many carbs, while others may be able to do more. Start low and adjust up a little at a time. The post workout shake should be 30 gm protien and 30 gm dextrose. It should be absorbed by the muscles quickly and should not be counted towards your total count. Also don't forget the ever important fat gm. This is where i had always failed in the past.

thanks for the tip. ive always been high protein, low carbs. but i want to try this plan out since it has had some good results. i plan on calculating it all out, carbs/protein/fat...

i always have a high protein/low carb shake after i work out, but i've never had juice after my workout. since you said it doesn't count towards the daily intake numbers, then it makes more sense...i was curious how some people managed only 40 gr a day and they were drinking juice post workout...
    Last edited by cable; 11-06-2003 at 09:12 AM.

Be careful with Juice. Make sur it is 30 gm dextrose. Glucose, dextrose, etc. all produce different insulin responses.

thanks again irongiant.

i've never had any form of sugar after my workout. just a lil that comes from my protein shake.

what's the best source you recommend then, orange juice? or do you buy the dextrose powder and mix it in?

what % of protein/carbs/fat do you shoot for everyday? i need to get out of the low carb, low fat mindset to prepare for this...

I buy dextrose and mix it in. A company called NOW makes it in 2 lb bags.
    Last edited by irongiant; 12-03-2003 at 04:39 AM.

pumpish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hello !
    is it ok to eat only chicken breast , oilves and protein shakes in a keto diet? some thing like this

meal 1 250 g chicken breast and 100 g olives

meal 2 protein shake and 100 g olives

meal 3 250 g chicken breast and 100 g olives

meal 4 protein shake and 100 g olives

meal 5 250 g chicken breast and 100 g olives

meal 6 protein shake and 100 g olives

or if you have any similar diets that works or any ides please share

thanks

pumpish has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i got some replyes and it seems the diet above is not a good idea
    what do you guys think about this:

protein shake

cardio training

egg ham olives

pro shake half an avokado oliveoil shot

samon olives

pro shake rest of avokado oliveoil shot

gym trianing

big beef

can of tuna oliveoil shot

i dont know why but it feels really strange to eat bacon and cheese and stuff since i.ve always learned that its big no no, isnt it better to have a little more olive oil or something instead of all the "bad" fat in the diets???

thanks again for any tips

Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Danz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is my first post! I have been reading these boards for a long time now but could never get round to posting anything myself.

Anyway, I have 2 questions:

In a 'raw and uncut' interview on bodybuilding.com with Craig Titus, he say's that he uses a ketogenic diet. He says that he uses high fat/high protein and carbs up every 3rd or 4th day as opposed to carbing up every 7th day. Why is that? Does it keep leptin levels high? Does it maintain muscle mass better? Why carb up so often?

If carbing up every 3rd or 4th is better than carbing up every 7th day, I'll do it.

I am around 4% bodyfat right now, so I am not fat, but I would like to tighten my glutes a little.

My second question is just for reference purposes. How many calories are there in a tablespoon of oil?

Ma3stro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    quick question.

I've been on CKD for 2 weeks now. The first day i planned to start CKD i got sick (not from the CKD) so i didn't work out the entire 2 weeks. I planned to start my carb up today untill tomorrow 6 p.m. I am gonna do a full body workout today. The question is, should i carb up today or wait till next week?

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do you need to take fat every meal to stay in a state of ketosis?

If you take a meal with just proteins, is the body going to use the proteins for energy or bodyfat instead?

thanks.

Timber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Timber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Chi_town

I have one of these books at my desk at work and you'd be supprised how ofter I use it as I add new and exciting foods to my diet. Keto or not, I like to know what I am eating now, unlike when I didn't care about my nutrition.
    Could you please PM me or reply here with what book you purchased and found helpful?

Thx bro,
    Timber

It's a bit older but still a great refference IMO......

"The NutriBase Guide to Carbohydrates, calories and fat in your" food"

by Dr. Art Ulene.

Any good book store should have this or many references like this one I use. I will get a new one someday that includes fiber content, as the one I have does not give that breakdown.

-- Chi

SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SycoraX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ok, started my keto today. I've got a couple of questions.

Should I intake any carbs before cardio or weight training workout or leave all the carbs for post-workout drink?

Is gatorade powder + Optimum's 100% whey good for post-workout shake?

Thanks.