Closed Thread
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    n00b123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was wondering. I know that a bdy with more lean mass burns more energy than a fatter person. When you say that a person should eat around 15x their bodyweight to maintain mass. but if a person at 6 foot weighs 205 with 16% body fat, wouldn't a person at 6 foot weighing 170 at 6% need to ingest more calories to maintain his size? This has just been bothering me and I would like to know your oppinions on this matter.
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Drumboy354 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by greg
    Thanks, but by doing 1gram of pro. for lb of Bw should be enough? Or should i eat like 180 just to make sure i dont loose any thing?
    If I were you, yes. That's if you can, don't think that you will lose all of your muscle if you don't, but if you can I'd say do it. I weigh about 175, and I'm taking in a little under 300 grams of protein a day. That's just because the diet I made had a lot of protein in it, I didn't plan it that way :-D
    "If I'm making it a point to live a healthy, fit lifestyle, why would some 150-pound 5'5" girl think I'd be into her?!" -iamchris (haha thanks for that one)

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks, but by doing 1gram of pro. for lb of Bw should be enough? Or should i eat like 180 just to make sure i dont loose any thing?
    Sorry I disagree with Drumboy on this.

Keto is not a high protein diet, but highish fat. If you want to lose fat you must be in calorie deficit, whichever diet you use.

If you take in too much protein, with cals restricted to 10 times LBM the only place you can cut the cals from is fat. Result you will be using protein for energy instead of fat. Keto is muscle sparing because you don't burn protien.

I say stick with 1g per lbs LBM, plus or minus (this isn't exact science). Then check your carbs and make sure youe eat enough fat. Fat is the key to keto.

greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) greg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Got another question, what does LBM mean?????

IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000) IPR is just really nice. (+1000)
    Got another question, what does LBM mean?????
    Lean Body Mass.

Its your weight minus the fat. Hence two guys weighing the same but at different bf% would cut at different cals as their metabolically active weight is different.

BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What exactly happens if you slip up on your keto diet.
    If you are in ketosis and say eat a granola bar and 3 miniture snickers bars, lol. What happens?

Originally posted by BornHard-13
    What exactly happens if you slip up on your keto diet.
    If you are in ketosis and say eat a granola bar and 3 miniture snickers bars, lol. What happens?
    Depending on how much carb to take in, your insulin level will jump and you will stop burning fat for fuel and stop producing ketones.

BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BornHard-13 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by IPR
    Depending on how much carb to take in, your insulin level will jump and you will stop burning fat for fuel and stop producing ketones.
    but once you use those carbs you back to ketosis, right?

Originally posted by BornHard-13
    but once you use those carbs you back to ketosis, right?
    basically yes, once you have lowered the levels of glycogen in your liver you will again start producing ketones.

Also, depending on how depleted your muscles are at the time, you may not drop out of ketosis at all. For example, post w/o shake of 30g whey plus 30g liquid carbs doesn't impact on my ketosis at all.

cut_eyes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

can someone on keto drink alot of milk?

n00b123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by cut_eyes
    can someone on keto drink alot of milk?
    nope
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

BlackBison has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

born-hard once you get deeper into the diet (around 6-7 weeks for me) you get more leeway on the carbs.

i now NEVER leave ketosis, even on my 36hr carb up on the weekend i am still in keto all the way through..seriously

i think the carb up is getting really anabolic for me now...so my body uses carbs for muscle growth as well as refil and the whole while continues using fats for energy. i am guessing most ketoers will be the same as this..
    ~Those who think they know everything really annoy those of us who actually do know it all~

Originally posted by BlackBison
    born-hard once you get deeper into the diet (around 6-7 weeks for me) you get more leeway on the carbs.

i now NEVER leave ketosis, even on my 36hr carb up on the weekend i am still in keto all the way through..seriously

i think the carb up is getting really anabolic for me now...so my body uses carbs for muscle growth as well as refil and the whole while continues using fats for energy. i am guessing most ketoers will be the same as this..
    I'm the same, still in ketosis during my carb-up.

I think this is because the carbs are firstly used to refill muscle glycogen, then liver. So, until the muscles are fully (or supercompensated) the liver is pretty much unaffected.

I also workout during my carb-up. Sat morning is my leg w/o, so I am using alot of the carbs straight away.

Unhappy

just to make things clear, if you eat more fat than you're suppose to, you will gain body fat right?

hmm i dont really know cut eyes...

but the reason why is i simply cannot eat more than 2000 cals a day on this diet...i cannot put away more than 500 in one meal and there is no hunger ever for me. i have to go by time, otherwise i miss meals.

i think you should always overestimate the fat rather than under. that way you will not be low on energy from not enough cals. trust me when you are on the diet you probably wont be able to eat enough fat, far less too much. i usually have to have 3 or 4 spoons of olive oil per day to keep my fat high.
    ~Those who think they know everything really annoy those of us who actually do know it all~

Talking

im just worrying about my fat intake because I ended up eating a very big steak dinner last night and I didn't calculate that into my daily requirements. LOL

I'm also not 100% clear on this cut_eyes, but think that as your system is aft burning for fuel, excess fat intake typically isn't stored as fat as the hormone for breaking down stored fat is present (I will check my books for the correct terms), hence excess fat is excreted.

I believe this is true up to a point, but if eating to excess say 18 x body weight, some fat will be stored as fat.

With carbs however, excess glucose will be stored as fat once glycogen stores are full.

Blackbisons point is valid also. One aproach with keto for tyhe average non-bber is that you don't need to count cals as the natural appetite suppression that occurs with ketosis will prevent over eating. This was the basis of Dr Atkins statement that you can eat unlimited fat & protein on his diet.

Maybe its just me but I am never full on keto. And some times end up eating 4000 cals easy.

are you sure you aren't full bornhard and it isnt just carb cravings? in my first 2 weeks my cravings were terrible- i would put away a 600 cal dinner and still have a stomach ache-- it didnt feel quite like the usual hunger, it was slighly different. after 2 weeks i was ok, and now i dont EVER feel hungry, even if i miss several meals in a day (rare, but happens sometimes). no hunger whatsoever.

so if you are new to keto this might be the reason. or you might just be different to me

is it possible to be in keto without the foul smelling breath and urine? lol

FOXDIE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this is my third day on a ketogenic diet. i only have about 20grams of carbs a day, and i eat proteins and fats without really counting them (i do keep a protein/fat ratio though). Is 20grams too little? alot of people here use more. the guide i printed said 20grams a day. thanks. i havent eaten any vegetables, breads, nothing. just hard cheese and meat. i feel like a lion

added:

What exactly determines if you go into ketosis? what must one do? what amount of what must be in you, what physical activiites can bring you in/out of keto?

thanks!!!

patmel has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

aid with low test?

Would a keto diet help if you have low test.? Possibly because of the high fat intake? What if someone eats a diet with no fat. Will that drastically lower test. after some time? Say for like 6-12 months of no fat (or nearly no fat)?
    A life without goals is not really a life

eating fats and cholesterols should help facilitate testosterone production. eating next to no fat or none at all, should lower your testosterone. All a matter of should, because other factors come into play. nothing ever works like it should according to the books

cut eyes:- yes it is. i didnt get really bad breath/urine until week 3

foxdie: physical activity has NO bearing on ketosis. however, to get into keto you need to deplete your liver glycogen, which you can do by doing cardio. but the only thing that will get you out is carbs. i stay in keto even through 36hrs of eating carbs now, and i am only 7 weeks into keto.

patmel: i have read in several places that keto does initially raise test, particularly if you have been on a low fat diet before you change to keto. this might explain the muscle gains people often have on this diet, despite being in caloric deficit. only VERY low fat diet suppresses test i think- like under 10% fat. not sure on this info though, look it up.

Originally posted by BlackBison
    are you sure you aren't full bornhard and it isnt just carb cravings? in my first 2 weeks my cravings were terrible- i would put away a 600 cal dinner and still have a stomach ache-- it didnt feel quite like the usual hunger, it was slighly different. after 2 weeks i was ok, and now i dont EVER feel hungry, even if i miss several meals in a day (rare, but happens sometimes). no hunger whatsoever.

so if you are new to keto this might be the reason. or you might just be different to me
    i am new, that is probally it..

i was wondering when you noticed fat loss/"breath of ketosis"/or any other signs that you this is indeed working. im only on day four, but im lookin for a sign!

FOX: read all of my last post.

Angry

BlackBison- wow serious, no until the 3rd week huh
    lol well today was supposed to be my 4th day in a keto diet but unfortunately I had to eat carbs yesterday because of the occasion...

Originally posted by cut_eyes
    is it possible to be in keto without the foul smelling breath and urine? lol
    Yes, in fact that is pretty much my situation. I only occasionally notice any smelly breath.

Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Original Poster has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In my experience most people will start to notice the breath and urine smells the first week. But everyone is different.

Keep carbs in the 30-50 gram a day range and get them from fiberous green veggie.

PEACE