WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rate my Vertical Jump Technique

Hey guys I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my standing and running verticals. I don't know the first thing about dunking but I know some of you on here will. I just thought it'd be cool to dunk a basketball so i went to the park today to see if i was close at all. I'm going to uni next year so who knows I could maybe try out for the team.

My questions are:

What should I try to improve in my technique?

How long would it take me to dunk a basketball? (I can palm a full size ball)

What should I do to improve?

Thanks

DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    At 6'0", you should have no problem working up to a full dunk (you should be able to fully dunk with a 34" vertical). I can't really speak to technique, but as far as strength training goes, make sure you have heavy squats as well as light but explosive squat jumps in your routines. I don't play basketball (I almost exclusively powerlift and sprint) and my vertical is about 32" without any specific training (can't dunk at 5'9" though without a 38" vert).

You have the physical tools to dunk, just focus on training for it. Explosive leg strength is the key in terms of strength training, but I'm sure technique can add an inch or two as well. I would think power cleans could help you as well since jumping involves a properly synced movements of knee extension, hip extension, shoulder flexion (when you swing your arms up), and even some calf extension.

WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WantToDunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DankDangles View Post
    At 6'0", you should have no problem working up to a full dunk (you should be able to fully dunk with a 34" vertical). I can't really speak to technique, but as far as strength training goes, make sure you have heavy squats as well as light but explosive squat jumps in your routines. I don't play basketball (I almost exclusively powerlift and sprint) and my vertical is about 32" without any specific training (can't dunk at 5'9" though without a 38" vert).

You have the physical tools to dunk, just focus on training for it. Explosive leg strength is the key in terms of strength training, but I'm sure technique can add an inch or two as well. I would think power cleans could help you as well since jumping involves a properly synced movements of knee extension, hip extension, shoulder flexion (when you swing your arms up), and even some calf extension.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah i plan to start going to the gym tomorrow. Should I just work lower body or throw in some bench press and curls?

Bump

Last bump

skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) skinnyntall is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your running approach looks really slow. Work on plyos n sprints, of course mix in weight training.. But from what I'm told your running jump should be couple inches higher than standing.. I watched this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOWSOUKdVg

Im currently working on dunking also.. Have been gaining vert slowly. I also need to work on my approach
    LAKERS

Originally Posted by skinnyntall View Post
    Your running approach looks really slow. Work on plyos n sprints, of course mix in weight training.. But from what I'm told your running jump should be couple inches higher than standing.. I watched this video on youtube

Im currently working on dunking also.. Have been gaining vert slowly. I also need to work on my approach
    I actually watched that same video yesterday. I know exactly what you mean I look weird when I'm running there cause I'm trying not to run too fast at the start and speed up. But I can never run fast because I end up going forward instead of up when I jump if that makes sense? Good luck with your goals as well

YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) YouMadOrMirin has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do a lot of jumping on top of your leg workouts. I dunked for the first time when I was 16 and I played a lot of basketball, hockey, and soccer (on top of lifting legs every now and then) so my legs were pretty beast mode for being so tiny. I was also only 5'5" and weighed like 95-100 lbs, my friends said it was only because I was mixed lol. Oh and jump off two feet to begin with, most people can jump higher that way, and then start to get your one foot jumps.
    “Uh, Later Dudes. S you in your A’s, don’t wear a C, and J all over your B’s.”

-Local business owner and cat enthusiast
    Always pick 2 crew

Originally Posted by YouMadOrMirin View Post
    Do a lot of jumping on top of your leg workouts. I dunked for the first time when I was 16 and I played a lot of basketball, hockey, and soccer (on top of lifting legs every now and then) so my legs were pretty beast mode for being so tiny. I was also only 5'5" and weighed like 95-100 lbs, my friends said it was only because I was mixed lol. Oh and jump off two feet to begin with, most people can jump higher that way, and then start to get your one foot jumps.
    Dunking at 5'5" is unreal mate. Jealous of your jumping genetics. Thanks for the advice

ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ElysiumSA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your approach is incredibly awkward. You look like you are slapping the ground flat footed with every step. Just working on your approach and transition to the jump will probably add several inches to your jump.

p.s. I wish I had 94" vertical reach. I'm 6'0 with about 90-91" vertical reach. 30 inch vert just to touch the rim.

Originally Posted by ElysiumSA View Post
    Your approach is incredibly awkward. You look like you are slapping the ground flat footed with every step. Just working on your approach and transition to the jump will probably add several inches to your jump.

p.s. I wish I had 94" vertical reach. I'm 6'0 with about 90-91" vertical reach. 30 inch vert just to touch the rim.
    Tell me about it. I have no idea why I'm like that. I try to start of slow and speed up as that's what I saw in a form video. I never get close to full running pace maybe like 50% because if I try to run fast I jump forward instead of up.

And about the reach thing I have massive hands so that probably helps

DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10) DankDangles is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WantToDunk View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah i plan to start going to the gym tomorrow. Should I just work lower body or throw in some bench press and curls?
    Upper body strength has very little effect (compared to lower-body) on your jumping and is generally considered less important in most sports (speed, power and explosiveness on the move is largely lower body). While shoulder flexion helps in a vertical jump test, but when you have a ball in our hands, your ability to recruit your shoulders for momentum is greatly decreased.

Focus on your lower body: Squats, squat jumps, box-jumps, power cleans.

Originally Posted by DankDangles View Post
    Upper body strength has very little effect (compared to lower-body) on your jumping and is generally considered less important in most sports (speed, power and explosiveness on the move is largely lower body). While shoulder flexion helps in a vertical jump test, but when you have a ball in our hands, your ability to recruit your shoulders for momentum is greatly decreased.

Focus on your lower body: Squats, squat jumps, box-jumps, power cleans.
    Thanks. I went to the gym today and did squats and dead lifts. Managed 80kgx8 on squats and 100kgx8 on deads. If I could get double body weight would my vertical drastically improve? How many inches would you estimate?. Going to do power cleans next week when I go back.

because MERICA that's why TheAmericano's Avatar
    TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheAmericano is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Your running stride aesthetics is prob the worst I have seen.

but anyways, you will be dunking in no time if you hit your legs

check out his channel...I think he's 5'7

CR4MC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Former NCAA athlete

Hey man I use to play College football and we had to do vertical jumps on testing days all the time I jumped around a 34 usually as a Free Safety... If you are 6'0 and can grip the ball well you should eventually be able to dunk. Idk how athletic you are or how well you jump naturally but I would say to make sure you explode from your hips when jumping. Always aim high and don't overthink it. Just be an athlete and practice. YouTube videos for good form and exercises to improve jumping

[QUOTE=TheAmericano;1220397541]Your running stride aesthetics is prob the worst I have seen.

but anyways, you will be dunking in no time if you hit your legs

I fully realise my run sucks haha but I suppose it's a good thing. Gives me something to improve on. Thanks.

stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This really isn't where you want to be getting your jumping advice to be honest, but to start you should probably look up what "triple extension" means and how it pertains to jumping vertically. You also appear to have a very "un-athletic" gate/stride right now. Go find the closest college with a D1 basketball program and inquire as to whether or not you can get some advice from one of their strength and conditioning coaches.
    SQ: 225x5 (High-bar ATG)
    DL: 295x5/315x1

"Many basic or compound exercises (e.g. squat, bench press, etc.) have a bell shaped resistance curves or shift the resistance through multiple muscle groups throughout the exercise's range of motion allowing the muscles to momentarily relax between repetitions. This period of momentary relaxation between repetitions allows greater opportunity for momentary blood flow permitting the clearing of acid accumulation."

Originally Posted by stealthmedia View Post
    This really isn't where you want to be getting your jumping advice to be honest, but to start you should probably look up what "triple extension" means and how it pertains to jumping vertically. You also appear to have a very "un-athletic" gate/stride right now. Go find the closest college with a D1 basketball program and inquire as to whether or not you can get some advice from one of their strength and conditioning coaches.
    Like I've said before I can't run my normal way or I can't even touch rim. Basketball is not a big deal at all over here unlike in the states unfortunately so that's hard to come by.

stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50) stealthmedia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WantToDunk View Post
    Like I've said before I can't run my normal way or I can't even touch rim. Basketball is not a big deal at all over here unlike in the states unfortunately so that's hard to come by.
    I'm not talking about the speed at which you are running I'm referring to the mechanics of your gate and stride. Was unaware of your location as it's not in your stats.
    SQ: 225x5 (High-bar ATG)
    DL: 295x5/315x1

"Many basic or compound exercises (e.g. squat, bench press, etc.) have a bell shaped resistance curves or shift the resistance through multiple muscle groups throughout the exercise's range of motion allowing the muscles to momentarily relax between repetitions. This period of momentary relaxation between repetitions allows greater opportunity for momentary blood flow permitting the clearing of acid accumulation."

Originally Posted by stealthmedia View Post
    I'm not talking about the speed at which you are running I'm referring to the mechanics of your gate and stride. Was unaware of your location as it's not in your stats.
    I know what you mean but for some reason it looks weird me running slow. I don't look anything like that running properly. Yeah I live in the UK sucks bad.

danedison has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I fully realise my run sucks haha but I suppose it's a good thing. Gives me something to improve on. Thanks.
    Information Security

jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jcthomas22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You may be over thinking it a bit. Don't think about it and just try to jump as high as possible and see how that feels. It's also ok to go forward some, it should resemble an arch when you jump, not a stop and straight up. Watch high jumpers, they can cover like 10 feet in the air.

Something else to get you more comfortable with your approach, practice dunking on a lower goal and work your way up.

Lastly find a reputable program that incorporates strength and plyos, AND FOLLOW IT! Nothing works unless you do it, so find one and stick to it. Good luck!

AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50) AndyThompson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think if you started a routine that really focused on deadlifts as well as depth jumps you could be dunking this summer.
    Instagram: @andythompson1

Originally Posted by AndyThompson View Post
    I think if you started a routine that really focused on deadlifts as well as depth jumps you could be dunking this summer.
    That would be awesome. I started the gym yesterday so I'm going to go twice a week there and focus on squats, dead lifts and power cleans. I've researched about plyos and found I should do box jumps, depth jumps and depth drops so I'll try do them a couple times a week as well then short sprints one day a week. Uni starts in 5-6 months so fingers crossed I can be dunking by then. Awesome body by the way.

danedison has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hi gays,
    place Tell me about it. I have no idea why I'm like that. I try to start of slow and speed up as that's what I saw in a form video.
    THANK,S

ttotheb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmm it looks a little strange.. try and look into olympic lifts maybe those would help