legna678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile jason blaha 5x5 results expectation

Hey guys, im brand new to this forum so if i have posted this in the wrong place due to ignorance i must apologise, anyway, back on track:

i was wondering what kind of result i can expect to gain from Jason Blaha's novice 5x5 routine in both terms of musculature and strength. i am currently an untrained individual in the sense of never before having taken up a sport or weight lifting routine. in case it is relevant here are my current numbers in lb after my first week on the programme:

bodyweight-190 lb
    bf% - 18
    squat - 198
    bench - 155
    deadlift -225

measurements: waist-37", thigh - 24.5", bicep - 13.5", calf-16.5" chest-42"

any information will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can expect high volume per workout, frequent stalls, that is all...

/Thread

Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you can handle the volume, it's a very good routine.
    Any post I make should not be taken seriously.

TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by GymFreak25 View Post

/Thread
    so no gains?

BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenD4Me is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by GymFreak25 View Post

/Thread
    lol you know what ive been doing icf for 4 months now and im going to agree with this. I think there is just too much volume to keep up with the progression that is suggested. This may not be true for the first few months of doing it, but once the weights start to get a little heavy I dont think its possible to keep adding 5lbs to each 5x5 lift. I dont think there is any way to keep progression at the pace suggested until you hit 2x bodyweight squat and 1.5x bw bench. Maybe if you are gifted at lifting and eat at a massive surplus it would be possible, but I personally havent seen anyone in the icf threads succesfully progress to very high numbers. But who knows, maybe im just making excuses bc ive been stalling a lot lately. Your lifts are pretty good though for someone who has never trained.

To answer your question, you can expect the most gains on your thighs and maybe second your chest. Personally I havent gained much on arms or calves, but that may just be me.

Jonl07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TFBear View Post
    so no gains?
    Plenty of gains can be had with the program.

I have ran the program for 2 months.
    Starting weight : 158lbs
    Current weight: 176lbs

5x5 completed so far. No resets yet. Starting to Current
    Bench - 135lbs to 190lbs
    Squat - 155lbs to 280lbs
    Deadlift - 185lbs to 290lbs (1x5)
    Overhead Press - 55lbs to 130lbs

Eat and sleep plenty for dem major gains!

TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TFBear has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BenD4Me View Post
    lol you know what ive been doing icf for 4 months now and im going to agree with this. I think there is just too much volume to keep up with the progression that is suggested. This may not be true for the first few months of doing it, but once the weights start to get a little heavy I dont think its possible to keep adding 5lbs to each 5x5 lift. I dont think there is any way to keep progression at the pace suggested until you hit 2x bodyweight squat and 1.5x bw bench. Maybe if you are gifted at lifting and eat at a massive surplus it would be possible, but I personally havent seen anyone in the icf threads succesfully progress to very high numbers. But who knows, maybe im just making excuses bc ive been stalling a lot lately. Your lifts are pretty good though for someone who has never trained.

To answer your question, you can expect the most gains on your thighs and maybe second your chest. Personally I havent gained much on arms or calves, but that may just be me.
    I'm very skinny and looking for mainly hypertrophy to begin with. Would you suggest I stick with ICF or go to a P/P/L routine? I do want to get stronger but my main goal is hypertrophy. Balanced development too, I'd like nice chest, legs, arms etc

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I think unless you come from an athletic background and you are skinny (so you can eat a crapload of food), you will have trouble with the volume. At 190lbs I imagine you will be looking at slow mass gains with cut cycles interspersed. I would do something with slower progression and less volume like All Pros.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by legna678 View Post
    i was wondering what kind of result i can expect to gain from Jason Blaha's novice 5x5 routine ....
    If you work really hard, maybe you can look just like him.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    If you work really hard, maybe you can look just like him.
    lulz

legna678 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    okay thanks for the responses.

so because i am quite naturally muscular as it is, even though im untrained i wont be experience the type of newbie gains that people typically get in their first year? e.g i wont become like 210lb and 18% at the end of 1 year? is it reasonable to expect to double my lifts though ?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by legna678 View Post
    okay thanks for the responses.

so because i am quite naturally muscular as it is, even though im untrained i wont be experience the type of newbie gains that people typically get in their first year? e.g i wont become like 210lb and 18% at the end of 1 year? is it reasonable to expect to double my lifts though ?
    Are you asking what your potential might be?

If so, post a couple of current pics to include your shoulders, upper back, and legs.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GymFreak25 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would do either an upper/lower split, fierce 5, or BLSS.