Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Post JTS Upper/Lower v2.0 (4-day a week U/L split w/2x a week frequency per area)

Introduction

This compound lift program is based upon planes of motion and the split is in respect to upper and lower body lifts done on separate days. Each plane of motion is performed approximately twice per week, once at a lower rep range with heavy weight and low volume, and once at a higher rep range with lighter weight and higher volume. The typical template would therefore be an upper/lower four days a week workout routine.

Over the past year I have given advice to many people and most of it is always the same. The best programs are those based on big compound lifts, have simplicity, follow the idea of progressive resistance, and leave plenty of rest time. One of the best examples of this is the linear Starr/Madcow 5x5. That 5x5 is by far, one of the absolute best programs an intermediate trainee could experience. I strongly recommend everyone to try at least one solid run at that 5x5, unaltered from the original write-up. With that said, some people wanted more focus on the vertical upper body lifts and a little less frequency on the squats. Borrowing slightly from the Westside ideas of a heavy and a lighter day, and also taking into consideration the fact that many people do not want to just remain working in the 3-5 rep range, I have put together this program. My biggest goal was to keep the theme of simplicity in order to allow the lifter's effort to go into lifting and consistent progression as opposed to over complications. As with any routine or program, I am sure it has been done before; so my apology to anyone who feels this is not a very original approach. However, my goal is not fancy originality--the goal is getting more lifters on a program that will allow them to make progress.

I hope you enjoy my compound lift upper/lower split v2.0

Contents
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-06-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The Split:

This is an upper / lower split routine. There are two upper days and two lower days. This means the body is divided (not isolated because it is not possible to isolate parts of the body regardless of the myths stated in magazines) according to predominately upper body days and predominately lower body days. The routine is then further developed with a focus on specific rep ranges and planes of movement. I treat the lifts as either a horizontal push/pull or a vertical push/pull. Each plane of movement will get a heavy day (lower reps heavier weight) and a lighter day (higher reps lower weight). In the basic template the lower body is simply based upon a squat day (heavy push) and a deadlift day (heavy pull) with addition work done to fill out opposing muscle group done on the heavy portion of that day respectively.

Here is the basic template of this routine (in exercise [sets]x[reps] notation):

Upper A (heavy horizontal / lighter vertical):
    Bench Press: 5x5*
    Barbell Row: 5x5*
    Standing Overhead Press: 3x10
    Pullup: 3x10
    Barbell Curl: 3x10

Lower A (heavy push / lighter pull / core):
    Squats: 5x5*
    SLDL: 3x10
    Lung: 3x10
    Weighted 45° Back hyperextensions: 3x10
    Weighted Decline Crunch: 3x10
    Leg Raises: 3x10

Upper B (heavy vertical / lighter horizontal):
    Push Press: 5x5*
    Weighted Pullup: 5x5
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 3x10
    Barbell Row: 3x10
    Weighted Triceps Dips: 3x10

Lower B (heavy pull / lighter push / core):
    Deadlift: 5x5*
    Leg Press: 3x10
    Standing Calf Raise: 3x10
    Weighted Back hyperextensions: 3x10
    Weighted 45° Side-bend: 3x10

NOTE: *denotes after light warm-up sets work sets are ramping sets leading up to one heaviest set (this is further explained in the ramping section).
    All other sets are work sets should be done after warm-ups and any needed acclimation sets (this is explained further in the section regarding progressions and tempo).

That's going be the core of the program. From time to time a substitution of various closely related/analogous lifts are permitted, but try your best to stick with a given lift until progress stalls in order to accurately use progressive resistance and track progress.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-07-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

The Schedule:

I recommend at least three days of rest every week. This leaves allot of options for the lifter regarding how to set up the split. Here are some possibilities:

Monday: Upper-A
    Tuesday: Lower-A
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Upper-B
    Friday: Lower-B
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Rest
    (Repeat)

Or

Monday: Lower-A
    Tuesday: Upper-A
    Thursday: Lower-B
    Friday: Upper-B
    (Repeat)

Or

Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Lower-B
    (Repeat)

Or one may also simply lift every other day (so it will be a little less than 2x a week frequency for each plan of motion) with a day of rest between every lifting day.

As you can see, there are many good ways to do it’s, the key is having a minimum of three days of rest out of every seven days, on average. Also, notice how I spaced the workouts--I recommend you do NOT work out three days in a row with this routine. Get that rest day in-between the "A" and "B" blocks to always give yourself a couple days rest before directly working a specific plane of motion again.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.

The Lifts (click a lift for its description):

Upper Body
    Bench Press
    Barbell Row
    Standing Overhead Press
    Pullup
    Push Press
    Weighted Pullup
    Incline Dumbbell Press
    Triceps Weighted Dips
    Barbell Curl
    Reverse Fly
    Lateral Raise
    DB Triceps Extensions
    DB conc. Curls

Lower Body
    Squats
    SLDL
    Lunges
    Deadlift
    Leg Press
    Standing Calf Raise
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl

Core
    45° Back hyperextensions
    Weighted Decline Crunch
    Leg Raises
    Weighted Back hyperextensions
    Weighted 45° Side-bend

Its your body and time, so depending on specific needs/goals, factors such as equipment availability, as stated elsewhere closely related analogous lifts may be subbed into the template. But I strongly advise any substitution be well thought out and then stick with it long enough to track and benefit from progressive resistance over a period of consistent workouts. I strongly suggest you Do not replace the 5x5 "heavy" lifts with anything or you drastically alter the scope of this program as those are the tried and true big lifts for their respective plane of motion as well as key base strength builders.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-06-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Progression:

5x5 lifts
    On the 5x5 ramping work, start out light so you KNOW for a fact you will get every rep for a least the first two or three weeks. Then, much like in the Starr linear 5x5, add weight every week. I recommend ~5lb to each of the 5x5 sets each week (or get a set of micro plates to add smaller increments to suit your own specific needs). In order to increase workload, an addition does not have to always be on the top set. Sometime I would just increase the weight on the 4th or 3rd set etc... If you want to be very aggressive you could add 5lb to ALL the work sets on the 5x5 work each week.

3x10 lifts
    Note that these are straight sets. This means after any light warm-up or acclimation sets, three work sets of ten reps each are to be performed with all three sets using the same weight. On the 3x10 work it is a bit more difficult to make a universal plan of progression because it is likely that even a 2.5 lb increase each session would be too aggressive for most intermediate trainees. Nonetheless, the goal is to add weight to the bar as often as possible. I strongly recommend fractional/micro-plates (1 lb and even smaller are available) if you cannot achieve a 2.5 lb increase every week. Also, you can increase intensity and other factors in addition to increasing weight.

Tempo:

5x5 lifts
    On the 5x5 work, the goal is more strength oriented. The focus of this part is lifting HEAVY! I recommend you take the time you need in between sets to push as much weight as you have planned for that week. This may mean up to 5 minute breaks in between sets. No super-sets or other techniques; just plain simply heavy lifts, rest in between sets, and consistent progressive resistance week-to-week with the goal of new personal bests and increased strength.

3x10 lifts
    On the 3x10 work it's the opposite. This work is there for a number of reasons; two of which are hypertrophy and muscular endurance. It is also a form of active recovery, but that is not the primary reason I added it. So you want to keep the intensity on this work higher. Try to keep rests short, maybe only a minute or so between sets. Not at all required but if you would like supper-sets work well here for opposing muscle groups (supper set a push with the opposite pull such as a a triceps movement with a bicep movement or a overhead press with pullups) to increase intensity and shorten the total duration of the workout. The weight used is not the focus; it's the perfect form, getting all the reps, and higher intensity. Therefore, any increase in overall intensity on the 3x10 work is as good as an increase in the weight on the bar. Nonetheless, as with any weight training, it is desirable to add weight if/when possible.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-06-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Ramping Explained:

First do some super light (empty bar then very light weight) type of true warm up sets to be ready and safe. then I recommend the type of ramping as seen in the Madcow Starr 5x5:

“Ramping Weights:

This is basically increasing your weight set to set like warming up. If your top set of 5 is 315, you might go 135, 185, 225, 275, and then 315 all for 5 reps. There are several reasons for this, you are warming up, getting a lot of practice and really groove the coordination of the lifts, and contributing to workload without raising it so high that fatigue overcomes you and you overtrain. If you do 315 for all 5 sets, workload is a lot higher and doing that a couple of times a week ensures that you won't last long on this program.

Typically jumps can be somewhere between 10-15% per set based on your top set (or 12.5% and round up or down). An easy way to figure this is to find out what 10% and 15% are for your top set and then track backwards into the other sets using the variance to round or help it make sense.

Example:
    Your top set is 100lbs
    10% is 10lbs and 15% is 15lbs
    Your 5th set is 100x5, 4th is 90x5, 3rd is 80x5, 2nd is 70x5, and 1st is 60x5
    These are the minimum jumps of 10%, the math doesn't always look this neat but using 12.5% isn't as intuitively easy to see for explaining this.

Make sure this makes sense and you aren't so strong as to make the jumps ridiculous at 10-15%. But keep in mind, going 200, 205, 210, 215, and 220 is a lot closer to 220 for 5x5 and that's too much on this kind of frequency, it will fatigue you a lot faster (i.e. prevent you from progressing) and hurt your ability to get as much as possible with your top set.

*Note: for the math inclined you probably realized that when moving up in weight you are taking 2.5% of the current weight but when I have you set up the initial weeks moving backward you are taking 2.5% off the forward week which is a slightly larger number than moving in the other direction. So if you want to really be exact, you can work it out the other way but the math is harder.” (from: http://stronglifts.com/madcow/5x5_Pr...Linear_5x5.htm)

Cardio

I encourage you to do some cardio. If it’s on a lifting day, do it after the lifting so it does not wear you out before the lifts. If it’s on an off day that is fine but please find a way to have at least one or two complete forced rest days a week with no training at all. Cardio is important for many reasons including overall good health so yes it should be done but if setting new PBs is the goal on the big lifts just don't over-do it on off days and get drained (no training for marathons or swimming the English channel). Finally, I would include some complete rest days -- no lifts and no cardio (and even forced lower life stresses) at least once or twice a week because if you are training right and training hard the cliché is there for a reason--rest is where you make the gains.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-06-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Additional Work (optional):

I know people will think, “But I want to complicate this nice simple effective routine”

Because it does cover most all of a newer and intermediate lifter's needs, I urge you to please try the basic template out for a while and see how you like it before adding anything.

Well the handful of folks I have had try this often find it is possible to add a very slight amount of additional work if needed for specific goals. I strongly suggest if you add anything, it only be one relatively light isolation type lift with 2 or 3 work sets at the end of the main work for that body-part on a given day—remember recovery is the key to success. Of course, if you do add any additional work it would have to be a type of lift (plane of motion) that goes on that day; Therefore, NO upper work on a lower day!

An example of commonly desired optional work in brackets {optional}:

Upper A (heavy horizontal / lighter vertical):
    Bench Press: 5x5*
    Barbell Row: 5x5*
    Standing Overhead Press: 3x10
    Pullup: 3x10
    {Reverse Flys: 3x10}
    Barbell Curl: 3x10
    {Dumbbell conc. Curls: 3x10}

Lower A (heavy push / lighter pull / core):
    Squats: 5x5*
    SLDL: 3x10
    Lung: 3x10
    {Leg Curls: 3x10}
    Weighted 45° Back hyperextensions: 3x10
    Leg Raises: 3x10

Upper B (heavy vertical / lighter horizontal):
    Push Press: 5x5*
    Weighted Pullup: 5x5
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 3x10
    Barbell Row: 3x10
    Weighted Dips: 3x10
    {dumbbell Triceps Extensions: 2x10}
    {Lateral Raises: 3x10}

Lower B (heavy pull / lighter push / core):
    Deadlift: 5x5*
    Leg Press: 3x10
    Standing Calf Raise: 3x10
    {Leg Extensions: 3x10}
    Weighted Back hyperextensions: 3x10
    Weighted 45° Side-bend: 3x10

Stalling and Resetting

Stalling is one realistic result of progressive resistance (we simply cannot add +5lb a week indefinitely) and when hitting this wall happens I suggest you deload and have another go at the progression as written to see if you may push through the barrier. My advice is to reduce the resistance by approximately 10% (round/ error in favor of going lighter as the progression rapidly will have you back up to the challenging your personal bests in no time). Deload and work back through the sticking point. If you have really been hitting it hard even a rest week prior to the deload may help (HST training does a similar type of thing). Finally, I would add that after hitting a wall and resetting a few times, as with any program, try some changes; take a few weeks off from the program and change things up with something different such as a straight power lifting routine or full HST cycle. Then after reaching a goal in the alternate program, come back revisit this program and try to set new highs once again. This is the way to keep progressing past the limits of a single program (a link to other programs is included in the big list under the “General Advices” section of this write-up. Stay strong and stay consistent and I hope you enjoy some good gains!
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-07-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Supplements I Recommend (optional):

#1 A Good Multivitamin such as Optimum Opti-Men (or Opti-Women)
    The first thing that anyone should be taking is a good’ol multi vitamin. Vitamins are so important that everyone—not just bodybuilders—should be taking a good multi. We have all heard of the anti-cancer and anti-aging benefits vitamin supplementation may provide. Most people can not possibly eat enough variety of foods to supply all the vitamins necessary for optimal bodily function. An athlete such as a body builder increases his or her need for many vitamins and without these vital chemicals one can not expect to utilize his or her training and diet to the fullest.

#2 A Good Whey Protein such as Optimum 100% Whey Gold Standard
    Whey protein has been Bodybuilding.com’s top selling supplement for as long as I have been around and for a good reason. After a bout of lifting heavy weights the body is depleted, catabolic processes have broken down muscle, and many amino acids are in high demand. Whey is excellent at this time because it is very complete (has all the essential amino acids in good ratios for utilization) and very fast acting (20-45 minutes to digest). Whey protein is rich in the three branch chain amino acids (BCAAs) Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine, which have been proven to speed recovery. A must have supplement for anyone that lifts weights.

#3 A Good Fish Oil such as Ultra Omega-3
    Fish oils are derived from the fat of deep-sea, cold water fish and are a natural source of Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). Omega-3 is an important nutrient for maintaining a healthy brain and nervous system. Fish Oils themselves are said to contribute to healthy heart function and joint flexibility as well as supporting brain, nerve, and visual function (excerpt from bodybuilding.com store). Want more details? Here are 10 great reasons you should be using fish oil: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles2.htm.

#4 A Good BCAA Mix such as Xtend
    BCAAs are very important to bodybuilders and other athletes as well. These amino acids are unique in that they are metabolized directly in muscles as fuel. During intense work a muscle is depleted of its BCAAs. These essential amino acids not only serve as fuel, they are also a precursor to other important compounds. There has been an overwhelming amount of scientific evidence to support the benefits of supplementing with free form BCAAs during exercise (for more info http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...ighlight=bcaa).

#5 A Good Micronized Creatine Monohydrate such as Higher Power Micronized Creatine
    Creatine monohydrate is the supplement world’s greatest achievement. It is safe, occurs naturally in every human, been used by many athletes for over a decade, and has awesome anabolic power. Creatine aids in the regeneration of ATP—muscles immediate energy source which may allow you to crank out another hard rep on a grueling exercise. But that’s not all; creatine also super hydrates the muscles by pulling more water into the cells. This increase in osmotic pressure is believed to contribute to an increase in protein synthesis. Best part is that we know it has safely worked for thousands of bodybuilders already.

#5 Vitamin-D supplementation such as NOW Vitamin-D3
    Vitamin D deficiency is currently an issue in many regions around the world, largely because people do not spend enough time in the sun to make vitamin D naturally. Many believe that Vitamin D increases levels of testosterone (do your own research and decide for yourself). People who get adequate sun exposure should have enough naturally produced Vitamin-D; however, many of us lack enough time out in sunny weather or exposed enough to get what we need. I urge you to do further research of your own and draw your own conclusions regarding your need of specific supplementation because this vitamin is too important to overlook.

#7 A ZMA (zinc) supplement such as NOW ZMA
    I believe many people are deficient in Zinc and this is vital mineral for the production of testosterone.
    “Zinc Monomethione Asparate (ZMA) is there to support that quick and efficient recovery. ZMA combines zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6 to support the free production of testosterone in the body, which is one of the key muscle building hormones for efficient muscle building.
    Many athletes may become deficient in zinc and magnesium, which can result in inefficient muscle repair. Additionally, if your testosterone levels are a little low, or if you just want to keep them optimized for performance” (from: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html).

That’s it for me. That is all you really need to be buying. Some people may need to ADD a few more things to their stack to aid in specific goals, but this list is the base. I understand some folks may not be able to afford all of these supplements and that is ok because training, nutrition, and rest are far more important than supplements. First someone needs to be eating a lot of quality foods. Next they need to make sure they have a good program to follow, not just some crap routine from a magazine or buddy. Finally, a life style which includes low stress and a lot of rest is important. Sleep cannot be over rated when it comes to building a quality body.

So if you look at your shopping cart (or order form) next time you buy supplements, and something on this list is missing, put back that crap with the glamorous hologram label, put back the “secret” you read about in M&fiction magazines, put back the latest trend that your skinny ass friend think will turn them into hulkamaniacs overnight…and buy the basic supplements. Feel free to thank me in a few months when you make some gains and everyone else is left with nothing but weight loss in their wallet.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-05-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Diet Ideas (optional):

Originally Posted by AmyJ View Post
    Overview

This is a guide for individuals that would like some direction regarding nutrition and proper diet. I am sure many of the experienced people here already know all of this information, but we were all learning at one time, and I wanted a place I can link new members of our forums to in response to common diet related questions. While there is a wealth of great information already posted throughout these boards, I couldn't find a place that listed all the basic diet info a beginner needs in a brief easy to understand thread. I hope someone can benefit from my diet guide

Contents
    The focus was more on bulking / strength gain goals but the write-up does touch on the truth that cutting is simply taking in less than you put out. Overall, some very good ideas here.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-06-2014 at 04:27 PM.

Additional Info and General Advices (optional):

Learn How to Squat the correct way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ym18x-Nl6Q

Healthy shoulders are important to heavy upper body training so please read:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-05-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Advices collected over the years (some links may be outdated):
    ***I give this exact info out to many new comers and people looking for general direction.

Here is the equation that explains how it all works.

Your Bodybuilding Success = Program + Diet + Lifestyle + Genetics + Time
    • Program
      a solid routine that trains the entire body, is appropriate to your goals and experience level, and has a pre-established plan of plan of progression.

• Diet
      Good nutrient dense foods are best. You need protein to build and/or keep muscle so get at least 1g of protein per pound of your bodyweight. Drink allot of pure water--hydration can not be overrated. Spread your food over many meals throughout the day. Details such as getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and also things such as meal timing and pre/post-workout nutrition are all vital. A good diet plan should take as much if not more of your effort and thought than the lifting program.

• Lifestyle
      Sleep is very important. You need at LEAST eight hours of quality sleep each night or you will not be at your best. Vital hormones are produced during sleep such as hGH and the body repairs itself while you rest.
      You have to keep your stress levels low. Stress not only distracts you, it also has a direct negative effect on your progress. For example, cortisol is released in response to stress (both acute perceived stress and long term pressure). This is a very catabolic stress hormone.
      Finally, choices such as drug abuse (drinking, smoking, and other drugs) are bad for anyone so they will obviously hurt your progress as well.

• Genetics
      We are all different. Some people gain faster than others. Some have a high bodyfat, some can not put on fat ect.. There are ranges for things such as hormone levels, receptors, muscle fiber composition, insertion points, and many other factors. There is not much you can do about your genetics. Even using steroids is limited by your receptors and some people will be better at responding than others. So the bottom line is to focus on the other areas mentioned and be at YOUR best! Get your training, diet, and lifestyle in check and genetics will not matter.

• Time
      It takes time. At best an adult male (natural athlete) can only add 1-2 pounds of lean mass each month, Tops! You are trying to fight homeostasis and force your body to adapt to training to make a physical change. The cool part is that time passes no matter what--so you can not mess that up--the future will be here, soon. The biggest factors in this game are consistency and dedication--if you lack those traits, and don't think you will have them, find a different hobby.

This is some info I give out to folks that are looking for direction and want to gain muscle mass. Many pages of good info here, try to read it all; you may find some of it to be helpful. If you can, order Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, these links are not a substitute but rather an addition to the great book. The book has a lot of great detailed info on solid training techniques and has helped many people reach their goals. Until then, here are some links.

Some good links to help you get started

First Step to Using These Forums to Thier Fullest
    (stickies and search):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...01&postcount=6

Full Body Info:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...only+info+ever

Rippetoe's Starting Strength:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Priority exercises (pick from these if you make your own routine):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...31&postcount=3

Diet and Nutrition Guide:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1713071

The ultimate in Pre, During, and Post- workout nutrition:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

Bodybuilding Supplements That Work!:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...21&postcount=5
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=805664

Listings of many popular programs:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=772206

Overtraining and Why Progress Stalls:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1715261

General Advices
    (you owe it to yourself to read these):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1746201
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=13
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...91&postcount=4
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=11
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...1&postcount=17

Links working and
    updated as of March/11/2007

Hope that helps,
    JTS
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-05-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Version 1.0

Here is a link to the more basic first version that has many good questions and discussions:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1628631

If this v2.0 is too advanced, too long of workouts, too much volume, or you simply want something more basic then have a go at the earlier version instead. Many people gave positive feedback about it and it is based upon the same exact training ideas as this v2.0 program just a little less complex.

I may go through that and extract a Q&A list to edit into here (not a for sure goal though so use the link above if you are really interested in the old thread).
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-05-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Edited in some comments regarding Cardio and Stalling/Resetting, from the old thread.
    ------------------

Please post any questions, comments, and discussion regarding this program here in this thread and not via PM.
    This way the entire community has a chance to contribute, learn about, teach us all (including me), and we all benefit--it is a discussion board after all.

================================================== ===============================================
    ================================================== ===============================================

Thanks for having a look, and I hope some of you that try this will enjoy the U/L v2.0 program while making some new gains!
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-07-2014 at 03:19 PM.

octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Looks very good.
    But it should be like

Lower
    Upper
    Rest
    Lower
    Upper
    Rest
    Rest

Reason for this is the heavy deadlifts.
    Rows, pullups before deadlift day will have a great impact.

Also, do you recommend 2on1off for a sedentary lifestyle ? 8hrs+ sleep a night + a caloric surplus ?
    Last edited by octaviansan; 03-07-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165912291&p=1329606531#post1329606531
    My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/sjsroworld

Originally Posted by octaviansan View Post
    Looks very good.
    But it should be like

Lower
    Upper
    Rest
    Lower
    Upper
    Rest
    Rest

Reason for this is the heavy deadlifts.
    Rows, pullups before deadlift day will have a great impact.
    Well, I cannot say it Should be that way for everyone, but this would be a good idea for many people depending upon their own individual style, goals, and recovery and that is one of the basic templates I suggest in the scheduling section which can be seen from the bolded portion of the quote below. I would lead with (meaning do immediately after a rest day) whatever you feel needs you to be your freshest and most recovered or priority need. There are a few suggestions as you can see below, but the bottom line is the idea of the forced rest and spacing in order to foster complete recovery.

Originally Posted by JoeyTS View Post
    The Schedule:

I recommend at least three days of rest every week. This leaves allot of options for the lifter regarding how to set up the split. Here are some possibilities:

Friday: Lower-B
    (Repeat)

Or

Monday: Lower-A
    Tuesday: Upper-A
    Thursday: Lower-B
    Friday: Upper-B
    (Repeat)

Or

Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Lower-B
    (Repeat)

Or one may also simply lift every other day (so it will be a little less than 2x a week frequency for each plan of motion) with a day of rest between every lifting day.

As you can see, there are many good ways to do it’s, the key is having a minimum of three days of rest out of every seven days, on average. Also, notice how I spaced the workouts--I recommend you do NOT work out three days in a row with this routine. Get that rest day in-between the "A" and "B" blocks to always give yourself a couple days rest before directly working a specific plane of motion again.

Originally Posted by octaviansan View Post
    …Also, do you recommend 2on1off for a sedentary lifestyle ? 8hrs+ sleep a night + a caloric surplus ?
    As with what workout to do after a rest day and which scheduling option to choose, 2on1 off is again all about your personal preferences and ability to recover. If you are running this as written, you will be pushing at personal bests and while it may not look like it on paper, you also have some volume that is not trivial. Everyone should always be getting that sleep (so I assume people are because if obvious factors such as their lifestyle are not in check, then I am not sure how they expect to be making real gains). Thus, I wrote it from the point-of-view that proper rest, diet, and lifestyle are in place (I included some extra info beyond the program as well which touches upon what it takes to succeed). If you feel you can recover, and are getting good productive workouts with consistent new PBs in the big 5x5 lifts, then go for it as we are each different in terms of our ability to recover. However, I strongly recommend at least 3 rest days per week, and feel the back-to-back rest days give you a good chance at a full recovery from all this hard work. Monitor yourself and see how you specifically respond and recover.

octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10) octaviansan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the help.
    My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165912291&p=1329606531#post1329606531
    My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/sjsroworld

More Information on Deloading

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Introduction:

There are countless posts on the best way to train biceps, the optimum split for getting huge, how to bench press properly, or any of a million other questions on how to become bigger, leaner, or break through plateaus.

But one technique that helps achieve all of these goals is very seldom discussed: De-Loading. A de-load is a planned reduction in volume or intensity (usually for one week, or one cycle of your training split), whose purpose is to allow the body to dissipate accumulated fatigue, allow you to fully recover, and prepare you for further gains. Also, remember that weight training does not just tax your muscles. It also puts stress on your joints, ligaments, connective tissues, and central nervous system.

Why should you De-Load:
    • To allow your joints, tendons, ligaments, and other supporting tissues to repair.
    • To allow your central nervous system (CNS) to recover
    • To give yourself a mental break from the intensity of heavy lifting
    • To reduce the risk of under-recovery (overtraining)
    • To prepare you for greater gains
    Experienced lifters know that you can't go 100% all out in the gym all the time. Your body can't take it, and you can't keep up that mental intensity forever. If you try to, you often wind up getting injured, start just "going through the motions" in your workouts, stall out in your progression, and perhaps even give up completely.

If you de-load at regular intervals, you will find that over time you will make better progress, reduce your injuries, and keep yourself in the game mentally.

When to De-Load:

This depends on your experience & intensity level, your age & recovery ability, the program you are following, and many other factors. If you are new to lifting, you lack the ability to overtax your CNS, muscles, and connective tissues as much as a very experienced lifter, so you may only need to deload once every couple of months. If you are older and have a reduced ability to recover from weight training, then you may need to deload as often as every couple of weeks. In general, you need to set your frequency of deloading according to how hard you train and how quickly you recover. Somewhere in the range of every 4-8 weeks will work well for most people.

Signs that a de-load may be in order:
    • You feel tired, persistently fatigued, have a decreased desire to train, or other symptoms of under-recovery (overtraining).
    • Your weight progression is stalling and you can't seem to increase most lifts
    • You are experiencing aches, sprains, tendinitis, etc.
    • You train regularly
    Note that last point again: If you train regularly, then you should de-load regularly as well. In fact, a regularly scheduled de-load should come before you start exhibiting any of these symptoms.

How to De-Load:

A de-load is a planned reduction in either volume or intensity, usually a week long (or one training cycle of your split). How you do it is up to you. The main thing is to back off your total effort to about 50-60% of what you would do during a normal training week. A few examples of how to train during a de-load week:
    • Do your normal routine and normal volume (sets & reps) but reduce the weight you use to about 50-60% of what you normally work out with for each exercise.
    • Use the same weight as you normally would, but drop your number of total volume (sets x reps) to 50-60% of your normal volume. (Note that you should stick to an 8+ rep scheme here.)
    • Train muscle groups that normally don't get a lot of attention
    • Use light weight and focus on refining your form and technique
    • Decrease your lifting and increase your cardio

... or any combination of the above. The main thing is to make sure that at the end of the workout you still have a decent amount of "gas in the tank". Personally, I prefer to de-load by dropping my weights to 50-60% of what I normally use, stick with the same volume, and focus on refining my form, technique, and mind-muscle connection.

If you want, you can even just take a week off entirely. If you know you are going to be on vacation, for example, just plan your training around it so that you can use that time as a de-load period. You'll be training smart and not feel the need to try to find some way to work out when the rest of your family is relaxing.

Summary:

The goal of a de-load is to allow you to become stronger, faster, and bigger, by incorporating a planned "active recovery" phase into your normal workout program. If you do it correctly, you should be able to make more gains that you would without de-loading, reduce your risk of injury, give yourself a mental break, preemptively address hidden recovery issues.

From this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post430490431

Here are a couple more decent compound lifts (click the lift name to see description):

Step Up
    (I would treat it as a lower push such as a sub for lunges)

Upright Row
    (Some call it a pull, some call it front and side delt lift -- we can all agree it is upper body so just don't put it on a lower day is going to be my rule. If I had to sub it in for some very good reason, I would put it in place of the side lateral raises in the “additional work” version or the 3x10 overhead press in the main routine).

I would edit these into the recommended lifts section, for substitutions or variation upon stalling, but the post is too old to edit things into it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1215243481

***Remember the 5x5 heavy work is the foundation of the given day, the strength builders for the plane of movement, and the core of the progressive resistance template – Do NOT sub out any of those main 5x5 lifts.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-17-2014 at 08:07 PM.

krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50) krysix will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Repped. You put a lot of effort and dedication into this thread. Good job and good routine.

loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250) loteq has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    great stuff! I've been told repeatedly that upper/lower splits are great. i really like the choice and change of exercises in the different upper and lower days, and the amount of volume seems spot on for me. i'll start this tomorrow

Originally Posted by krysix View Post
    Repped. You put a lot of effort and dedication into this thread. Good job and good routine.
    Thank you.

Originally Posted by loteq View Post
    great stuff! I've been told repeatedly that upper/lower splits are great. i really like the choice and change of exercises in the different upper and lower days, and the amount of volume seems spot on for me. i'll start this tomorrow
    Yes, the upper / lower splits are a very good place to go after one finishes his or her beginner routine and need a little more recovery time for given areas. Thanks for checking it out brother and I hope you enjoy some good gains!

RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Found this from the link on the first version's thread. Looks good. I will start it in about 2 weeks

Cnsn08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cnsn08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey Joey i'm doing a 3x5 type Fullbody routine 3x a week..
    My stats is
    Squat:105kg 3x5
    Deadlift:120kg 1x5
    BenchPress: 75kg 3x5 (i know this is really low weight)
    Ohp:52.5 kg 3x5
    Row:58-60kg 3x5

My workout routine is Workout A / Workout B type stuff but i think there is no balancing.. Why i say this? Because doing Workout A days : Squat,Bench,Row and less isole exercises Workout B days : Squat,Deadlift,OHP,Row ( %10 less) and less isole exercies too.. Squat 3x times a week, Row 3x times a week but Bench/Ohp and yes Deadlift (maybe enough but i do 1x5) 1.5x times a week.. And my Bench is really weak point too
    So maybe 1 month laters i change my routine and think your Routine.. What do you recommend my dear friend?
    Last edited by Cnsn08; 03-21-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Originally Posted by Cnsn08 View Post
    Hey Joey i'm doing a 3x5 type Fullbody routine 3x a week..
    My stats is
    Squat:105kg 3x5
    Deadlift:120kg 1x5
    BenchPress: 75kg 3x5 (i know this is really low weight)
    Ohp:52.5 kg 3x5
    Row:58-60kg 3x5

My workout routine is Workout A / Workout B type stuff but i think there is no balancing.. Why i say this? Because doing Workout A days : Squat,Bench,Row and less isole exercises Workout B days : Squat,Deadlift,OHP,Row ( %10 less) and less isole exercies too.. Squat 3x times a week, Row 3x times a week but Bench/Ohp and yes Deadlift (maybe enough but i do 1x5) 1.5x times a week.. And my Bench is really weak point too
    So maybe 1 month laters i change my routine and think your Routine.. What do you recommend my dear friend?
    If you are very new to lifting I recommend the 3x a week fullbody style beginner routines such as Starting Strength and similar programs such as yours (there are a few other good ones posted here such as AllPro's beginner). You don't need a lot of isolation work until advanced stages of lifting experience--even my program has very little iso stuff. Then after you are no longer able to handle the fullbody workout or need more recovery and need to split the body into areas, the next thing I would do is an upper/lower such as This one I have written.

One of the stickies here in the programs section that is worth the repost:

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Full Body Routines vs. Splits

The question often arises, especially from beginners, about what type of routine to use. Your buddy told you to use a full body routine, but the muscle mags suggest a 5-day "bodybuilder" split. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot, but there is so much information out there that sorting through what to do can be difficult.

This is some of my opinion on the subject, and maybe it'll help a few people out.

Full Body Routines:

In my opinion, this is the place for a beginner to start. I have many years of lifting experience, and have pretty much always used some form of bodybuilding split routine. However, if I had it to do over again, I would have begun with a good full-body routine, built around the compound lifts, done 3 times per week. When you are a beginner you don't generally have the muscular strength to work intensely enough, or with enough volume, to require as much recovery time as someone who is stronger or more experienced. If you are a young beginner, on top of that, you have very good recovery abilities due to high hormone levels. So, because you are recovered relatively quickly after each workout, you want to stimulate each muscle group more often to induce strength and growth.

Another reason to start with a full body program is that this gives you the opportunity to learn and practice the basic lifts: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, etc. Whether your goal is bodybuilding, strength athlete, sports, or just remaining fit, these really ought to form the basis of any routine. No matter what path you choose to "branch out" on later, these core lifts will serve you well.

2-Day Split Routines:

So the next question becomes: when should I think about split routines? In very simple terms, the answer is: when full body routines become too much. Usually, as you get stronger, it becomes very difficult to maintain enough energy to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. all on the same day. You may also find that you want to add in a few isolation exercises to bring up your weak areas, or you may want to begin focusing more on each core lift. Another issue is recovery; as you get stronger, you are able to work out more intensely, and that means longer recovery times. So at that point, it makes sense to "split" things up by only doing a part of your previous full routine on any given day.

A logical place to make your first split is into an Upper / Lower type routine. This will have you doing your upper body work like bench press, rows, overhead pressing on 1 day, and your lower body work like squats on another day. Another way to go would be a "push/pull" type split where you do all your pulling exercises (rows, deads) on one day and your pushing exercises (squats, overhead press, bench) on another day. Exactly how you do it is up to you, but the point is to divide the workload per session. This will give you more time (and volume) per body part, and also give you a bit more recovery before you work that muscle again. Most people will typically cycle through a 2-day split like these twice per week. So instead of every muscle being stimulated 3 times per week with the full body, now it's twice per week with the 2-day split.

3+ Day Splits:

3, 4, 5 (or more!) day splits come in when you again feel the need to divide your workload to match your recovery abilities, or increase the amount of work you want to do on specific muscles or lifts. Generally, these type of splits are mostly bodybuilding related, but even strength athletes may chose to split so they can work on speed lifts one day, strength work another, etc.

At this point (speaking to bodybuilding) many lifters will only hit each muscle group once per week. This has the advantage of letting you really hammer a muscle group with a lot of weight and volume, and then give it plenty of time to recover while you're bringing the pain to the next group. Your full body effort is broken down into segments that are manageable from a workload, energy, and recovery standpoint.

If you are an "experienced" (older) lifter with decreased recovery abilities (we all ain't as young as we used to be), this type of split often is useful for staying healthy due to the increased recovery time per body part. The kids might not think it's important, but your tendons might.

There are so many variations of splits that I won't even attempt to detail all the possibilities. If you follow the advice in this post, by the time you need a multiple day split, you'll know your body, your goals, and have a pretty good idea of what you want to do.

Final Thoughts:

I believe it's a logical notion to start with a full body routine, and begin splitting only when you feel the need to increase your recovery or increase your volume. If you stick with the concept that you're trying to hit a muscle as often as you are able while still recovering adequately, and let that be your guide, you'll do okay.

Hopefully, this gives some food for thought to help you decide what type of routine you should use. Ultimately, however, it's worth saying that you can do fine with any well-designed program even if you begin with a split routine right from the beginning.

Repost from my thread in the Exercises Section...it's more applicable here.

A lot of people always asking "what is the best program?"

There is No Perfect or Best Program!

Every program has strengths and weaknesses, pros and cons. One person is different from another and therefore these strengths and weaknesses are very much relative to the individual.

One thing is constant across the entire population--because there is no magic "best" program, the best you can do is pick a program that is good at getting you to progress towards your current goal. This also means you need to have realistic logic and focused goals; you cannot simply think "I want to be huge everywhere" and call that a mature goal that will serve as a guide to direct your training efforts. Instead, you need to pick something such as "over the next 3 months I want to bring my 3RM on bench to xxx lb" or "It's January and I would like to drop 10 lb by June" or "My back width is good, but I need to add some thickness before focusing on detail." You see my point? Those are some goals that you can direct your training towards reaching.

As you make progress toward one goal, you often will make sacrifices in other areas and that is what makes bodybuilding a fun lifelong adventure; the big goal is to gain more on your current focus than you sacrifice in the other areas so that in the long run, over many years, you net large overall progress/gains. Everything can NOT be treated with the "priority principle" all at once just by definition of prioritizing. Hence, you must you give preferential focus to a specific goal until you are either satisfied with progress toward that goal, or the sacrifices are becoming too large to warrant going any further with it.

This theme is illustrated with the bulking/cutting cycle style of bodybuilding. When one bulks he or she knows some fat will be gained but tries to limit that sacrifice and gain mostly muscle (primary goal during bulking). Likewise, when cutting one has to accept that some muscle will be lost and strives to limit this sacrifice while losing a greater amount of fat (primary goal during cutting).

You cannot do everything great at once or you will risk doing nothing. So keep all this in mind when picking a program relative to your goals.

If this seems frustrating to you because you want it all--NOW! Remember, in the iron game the biggest thing that determines success are dedication and consistency. If you think you will always lack those qualities I suggest you pick up a new hobby.
    I want to add another important personal quality which is critical to fostering success.

A person needs to be honest with him or herself.

So many people think they are being more dedicated than they truly are. Many of the "critique my routine" people here think they are far more experienced than they truly are. Many in the nutrition section are in self-denial about how much they actually cheat. Many of these people blame their diet, program, or the advice we give, when they should be blaming themselves and stepping up to the challenge of being honest. Once you are honest about what you are doing wrong or about your lack of knowledge and experience, then you can start to correct it and better yourself.

So be honest about the following to better determine what program to use and how to be successful while using it:
    • Your experience level -- In lifting this refers to accomplishment not accrued time farting around in gyms over the years. Pick a program that is appropriate to your level because you will make more gains doing what you need to be doing than doing what sounds flashy and impressive.
    • Your consistency -- Gains take time and consistent dedication to a good plan; be honest about how consistent you have been and if there is any room for improvement.
    • Your diet -- What/how you eat plays HUGE role in your success or lack thereof (go read the nutrition section stickies for a start because the importance of your diet cannot be stressed enough).
    • Your lifestyle -- If you are partying too much, if you are stressed, depressed, drinking too much alcohol, doing drugs etc? all of these have major impacts on your training and its effectiveness.
    • Your sleep habits: Sleep can never be overrated. If you do not get enough sleep, you will not reach your full potential.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1220570521

MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarkFoo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Really like the look of this rountine Joey.

I ran an upper/lower similar to your original program recently, and was pleased with how it was going until i started to feel really burn't out. I'm not sure that i can live with 4x per week. I'm 40, and i also run off road 3x per week (5 miles tops), but i'm in the British Army so i'm not prepared to drop the runs as i need to keep my cardio fitness up. What are your thoughts on running this as a 3x per week routine eg: Mon-Lower A, Wed-Upper A, Fri-Lower B, Mon-Upper B, Wed-Lower A, etc, etc?

I'm 3 weeks into Madcows intermediate at the moment, and i'm going to run this for as long as possible, but your routine is definitely one that i may look at running later. I'm just not sure about running it 3x per week though.

Cnsn08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Cnsn08 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you are very new to lifting I recommend the 3x a week fullbody style beginner routines such as Starting Strength and similar programs such as yours (there are a few other good ones posted here such as AllPro's beginner). You don't need a lot of isolation work until advanced stages of lifting experience--even my program has very little iso stuff. Then after you are no longer able to handle the fullbody workout or need more recovery and need to split the body into areas, the next thing I would do is an upper/lower such as This one I have written.
    I'm not fresh beginner to lifting Joey,as i said '' i think there is no balancing.. Why i say this? Because doing Workout A days : Squat,Bench,Row and less isole exercises Workout B days : Squat,Deadlift,OHP,Row ( %10 less) and less isole exercies too.. Squat 3x times a week, Row 3x times a week but Bench/Ohp and yes Deadlift (maybe enough but i do 1x5) 1.5x times a week.''

By the way some people say ''If you natural bodybuilder do Fullbody 3x a week always, 2X (upper/lower or P/P/L off repeat) type program good but not optimal Natural Athletes'' What do you think?

Originally Posted by Cnsn08 View Post
    I'm not fresh beginner to lifting Joey,as i said '' i think there is no balancing.. Why i say this? Because doing Workout A days : Squat,Bench,Row and less isole exercises Workout B days : Squat,Deadlift,OHP,Row ( %10 less) and less isole exercies too.. Squat 3x times a week, Row 3x times a week but Bench/Ohp and yes Deadlift (maybe enough but i do 1x5) 1.5x times a week.''

By the way some people say ''If you natural bodybuilder do Fullbody 3x a week always, 2X (upper/lower or P/P/L off repeat) type program good but not optimal Natural Athletes'' What do you think?
    If you have done the best you can and got all the gains you can from the fullbody 3x a week squatting, then yes it is time to move onto something new. As for what is optimal for Natural Athletes?--I would say scroll up and read what I posted about "best program." Everyone is different and even a specific individual may have different goals at different times. There are very good 3x a week fullbody programs, very good U/L, and very good P/P/L --there are good one of each of those but the key is finding the one that os good for you at this time. As always, remember that progressive resistance and consistency are the big factors... oh and some of the biggest factors are not even in the gym such as sleep, food, and lower stress. I have done the 3x a week fullbody and plan to do some again soon as a way to get back into things here after a long layoff due to injuries. Overall when I settle into more of my typical conditioning, I personally like the 2x a week frequency such as this program I wrote and others like it; for me 3x a week is too much to recover from and 1 time a week is not enough--but it all depends on you and what works for you at this moment.

Originally Posted by Diab0lic View Post
    NUTRIENTS & WHERE TO FIND 'EM

This thread is meant as a quick reference guide to explain briefly what nutrients are and the main sources of them. It isnt an in depth discussion about nutrients or any aspects of them, simply a quick reference guide, handy for n00bs or for anyone wanting to ensure they have a balanced diet.

The thread is divided into sections. The first covers the macronutrients plus water and fibre. From there the thread moves to vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients to alcohols and artificial food components which are briefly mentioned due to the frequency they appear in modern foods. This is followed up by a links section which also doubles as the references for this thread.

After a nutrient is listed and basically described, at least 5 examples of whole foods high in that particular nutrient are listed. What you will notice is the foods which come up again and again. Lean meats, dairy, grains, fruits, vegetables, etc. These foods should be forming the basis and majority of your diet. This thread is also handy if you wanted to choose a food to enable you to up your intake of a certain nutrient such as a particular mineral.

I hope it is of help to people, please feel free to add anything Ive missed, ask any questions or make any comments. If you do find something Ive missed, add it up, not necessarily in a table format, any way is fine, the more complete this list is, the better

This is something the Nutrition forum is lacking!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2845231

This is from over on the nutrition section (since some of my links may be old).
    It is an overview of macro- and micro- nutrients and simply very informative so I would like to share it with anyone that decides to read over my program. It is not a sticky over there at the time I make this post, but upon my revamp to my advice list (I have some broken outdated links and the last time I updated the list was 2007 so some things have changed since then regarding what I, or we all, know) I will add it in under must-read nutritional info. Hope it helps someone out there.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 03-27-2014 at 09:10 AM.