Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by crom87 View Post
    Hi Joey, thank u very much for this routine.

Can I use this routine instead of SS? I like the x10 sets that SS does not have.
    My Squat is 80Kg 5RM, DL 120 and BP 70, so I will probably will make progress with both routines.

What u think?

Thanks!

PD: Would I benefit more with 3x5 straight set or 5x5 ramping?
    I would use SS until your lifts stall, then when a lift stalls reset it (lower the weight) back to give yourself two weeks of progression before hitting that max weight again. Do this until you simply stall and can not make anymore progress on SS. At some point you hit a spot where adding weight every workout for straight sets is just too fast of a progression-- at that point, you are ready for something such as this write-up.

Of course, you may also jump into this or another intermediate program early, but you might be able to make faster gains on the starting program because of it aggressiveness and simplicity. Either way, they are both linear progression that adds weight often so you can;t go wrong as long as you truly follow the progression over a decent range of time.
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

wamon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi!

Does anyone tried this routine only 3x per week?

Will it be to less work? What do you guys think?

Best regards from Vienna
    Werner

RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10) RThoads is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wamon View Post
    Hi!

Best regards from Vienna
    Werner
    I have down 3 days a week because I need the added recovery

wamon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RThoads View Post
    I have down 3 days a week because I need the added recovery
    did it work for you?

JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by wamon View Post
    Hi!

Best regards from Vienna
    Werner
    I have trained one person who needed it adapted that way and she enjoyed solid progress.
    Just alternate MWF and do whatever workout is up next so you will have one week with two lowers and the following with two uppers etc.
    Monday: lower A
    Weds: upper A
    Friday: lower B
    --
    Mon: upper B
    Weds: lower A
    Fri: upper B
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10) EzTeBaN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JoeyTS View Post
    The Split:

This is an upper / lower split routine. There are two upper days and two lower days. This means the body is divided (not isolated because it is not possible to isolate parts of the body regardless of the myths stated in magazines) according to predominately upper body days and predominately lower body days. The routine is then further developed with a focus on specific rep ranges and planes of movement. I treat the lifts as either a horizontal push/pull or a vertical push/pull. Each plane of movement will get a heavy day (lower reps heavier weight) and a lighter day (higher reps lower weight). In the basic template the lower body is simply based upon a squat day (heavy push) and a deadlift day (heavy pull) with addition work done to fill out opposing muscle group done on the heavy portion of that day respectively.

Here is the basic template of this routine (in exercise [sets]x[reps] notation):

Upper A (heavy horizontal / lighter vertical):
    Bench Press: 5x5*
    Barbell Row: 5x5*
    Standing Overhead Press: 3x10
    Pullup: 3x10
    Barbell Curl: 3x10

Lower A (heavy push / lighter pull / core):
    Squats: 5x5*
    SLDL: 3x10
    Lung: 3x10
    Weighted 45 Back hyperextensions: 3x10
    Weighted Decline Crunch: 3x10
    Leg Raises: 3x10

Upper B (heavy vertical / lighter horizontal):
    Push Press: 5x5*
    Weighted Pullup: 5x5
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 3x10
    Barbell Row: 3x10
    Weighted Triceps Dips: 3x10

Lower B (heavy pull / lighter push / core):
    Deadlift: 5x5*
    Leg Press: 3x10
    Standing Calf Raise: 3x10
    Weighted Back hyperextensions: 3x10
    Weighted Decline Crunch: 3x10
    Weighted 45 Side-bend: 3x10

NOTE: *denotes after light warm-up sets work sets are ramping sets leading up to one heaviest set (this is further explained in the ramping section).
    All other sets are work sets should be done after warm-ups and any needed acclimation sets (this is explained further in the section regarding progressions and tempo).

That's going be the core of the program. From time to time a substitution of various closely related/analogous lifts are permitted, but try your best to stick with a given lift until progress stalls in order to accurately use progressive resistance and track progress.
    Will you suggest this program towards bodybuilding? Hypertrophy mostly. Looks solid.
    ROCK IT.... LIFT IT!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by EzTeBaN View Post
    Will you suggest this program towards bodybuilding? Hypertrophy mostly. Looks solid.
    It is a good mix of strength and hypertrophy.
    The target audience would be an individual whom has found the need to move on from beginner full-body programs, but does not yet require very complex programming or many individualized details. Therefore, the late beginner phase to intermediate lifter (I recommend people to use a fullbody such as "starting Strength" true notice level first 6 months in the gym).

At the late beginner and intermediate phases I do not think there is much of a difference between strength and hypertrophy -- you need both and will get both.

If someone if far too advanced for this type of program he or she will most likely already know that fact and as such will likely also know of advanced programs to suit his or her current specific goal. This type of upper/lower will get you that foundation to then use in whatever more specific direction you choose after you have exhausted linear gains and reached a respectable solid level of strength on the basic biog compound lifts (if one if still making consistent gains in strength on this program then I am confident he or she is also experiencing hypertrophy with those strength gains).

sasa1999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sasa1999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sasa1999 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What do u think of this
    Upper A
    Barbell bench press 5x5
    Row 5x5
    Lat pulldown 3x8
    Inclind db press 3x8
    Lateral raises 3x8
    Pushdown 3x8
    Curl 3x8

Upper B
    OHP 5x5
    Lat pulldown 5x5
    Db bench press 3x8
    Row 3x8
    Lateral raises 3x8
    Pushdown 3x8
    Curl 3x8

Lower
    Squat 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Leg press 3x8

What do u think of this routine ? I will do the same lower workout because i'm beginner and i want to back squat twice a week to get that frequency in and get better at it
    Thanks

BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BD7391 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi Joey. I'm converting from a 3 day split over 4 days (so that I hit everything twice every 8 days) to your program because I have found that I'm not recovering and am not enjoying workouts anymore.

I've so far gained 6 lean kg in almost 4 months, since starting training, and my strength has increased considerably, in that initial phase. I am eating a calorie excess, and look forward to seeing results in the coming months! I'll be following your program to the letter and will make a workout log too. Thanks for your hard work on the topic.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bump for a great routine.

Registered User malikabdulwahab's Avatar
    malikabdulwahab is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    here is my suggestion:

5x5 lifts
    On the 5x5 ramping work, start out light so you KNOW for a fact you will get every rep for a least the first two or three weeks. Then, much like in the Starr linear 5x5, add weight every week. I recommend ~5lb to each of the 5x5 sets each week (or get a set of micro plates to add smaller increments to suit your own specific needs). In order to increase workload, an addition does not have to always be on the top set. Sometime I would just increase the weight on the 4th or 3rd set etc... If you want to be very aggressive you could add 5lb to ALL the work sets on the 5x5 work each week.

gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcoulson is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by malikabdulwahab View Post
    here is my suggestion:

5x5 lifts
    On the 5x5 ramping work, start out light so you KNOW for a fact you will get every rep for a least the first two or three weeks. Then, much like in the Starr linear 5x5, add weight every week. I recommend ~5lb to each of the 5x5 sets each week (or get a set of micro plates to add smaller increments to suit your own specific needs). In order to increase workload, an addition does not have to always be on the top set. Sometime I would just increase the weight on the 4th or 3rd set etc... If you want to be very aggressive you could add 5lb to ALL the work sets on the 5x5 work each week.
    What's your suggestion? Looks like you just quoted what was written on the front page.