JBeardy17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Contact sports good or bad for muscle ?

Hey guys I have a question ! My weight training is very important to me and I'm about to enter a whole new strength/ power lifting program and I'm taking up rugby league ( a very heavy contact sport) and I was wondering if this can hinder muscle strength and size ? Any thoughts ?

booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) booldygreg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JBeardy17 View Post
    Hey guys I have a question ! My weight training is very important to me and I'm about to enter a whole new strength/ power lifting program and I'm taking up rugby league ( a very heavy contact sport) and I was wondering if this can hinder muscle strength and size ? Any thoughts ?
    With proper recovery, you should be fine. Injuries in rugby are common and thats a risk you must be willing to take. I know a few Rugby players who balance powerlifting and rugby and on the flipside of that coin, I know rugby players who have a huge set back because they got injuried

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Did you never see Sonny Bill Williams? Or Luke O'Donnell? Or about half of the NRL? Rugby Union forwards are as big or bigger, too. Your gains are due to programming and diet.

If you're going to play footy, play because you want to. You're only your age once. Don't waste it worrying whether your biceps have grown 1/4" in the last two years.

Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No real problem really, unless obviously you get an injury that stops you from lifting/means you can lift to your max potential, the contact itself don't worry about.

Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wrestler5229 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Uh yeah... Lots of long distance cardio will definitely hinder your strength and size gains, not to mention you'll hae lift smart so as to recover well. Don't get me wrong, I love rugby, I played. And don't get me wrog, you can still get pretty damn strong. But you will not be as big or as strong as you could be if you hope to powerlift and play rugby. You will have to eat quite a bit more than you would if you were just lifting, this goes without saying. It all boils down to what you want. Are you a lifter or are you an athlete? Are you lifting to enhance your sport performance or are to lifting to enhance your lifting?

NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100) NickGamz is not very well liked. (-100)
    During our football season we do some lifting to keep our strength but our coach told me that if you lift really really hard during football your more susceptible to muscle tearing.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Flat Bench:155
    Incline Bench: 135
    Deadlift: 285
    Squat: ???

5'7" 130 lbs

Lifting,Basketball,Football,Track Crew
    ----------------------------------------------

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NickGamz View Post
    During our football season we do some lifting to keep our strength but our coach told me that if you lift really really hard during football your more susceptible to muscle tearing.
    Your coach is misinformed.

Lifting during the season simply needs to be programmed correctly. Endline Training and myself both have good posts up on yearly programming.

pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pulpNi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Muscle tears occur with bad technique especially during games, if your muscles injured and you lift then that will effect how much you can take before it hurts