Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Feeling extremely demotivated and need some help (PICS)

Hi guys.

I'm really frustrated / saddened / worried because I've gone backwards during a bulk. I've made a conscious effort to increase my calories but nothing is fking happening.

I have been on a full body routine since October and made some good beginners gains despite the fact that I cut my calories (as I wanted to get rid of my gut - I have chit body composition, skinny fat). However it seems those gains peaked in December and I've got worse since then.

In the last few weeks, I've noticed that my arms have actually gotten smaller. My clothes fit looser than they did before, which is pissing me off so much because it feels like my efforts are for nothing. I have never skipped a day at the gym, never drink anymore and pay attention to macros.

^^ Me on January 25th

^^ Me on March 4th

I must be eating enough because my weight has gone from 173lbs to 181.........yet I appear smaller?!?

I have upped the weight of all exercises, however still can't do more than 2 bodyweight pullups, and still stuck on 90kg squats.

The weird thing is, even though I feel smaller, I am noticing changes muscle wise. My quads look like they are 'developed' more, and I can see my tricep sticking out and properly feel it. My bicep also feels harder and tougher, but I dont really GAF cos I just want size.

Here is an example of my diet (BUT READ - I still had 2 meals to go that day so hit over 3000 easily AFAIK)

My test levels are apparently fine: -

Wtf is going on guys? If I was getting bigger I wouldn't even ask this question, but I'm getting smaller.....

mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mhilliard44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Maybe try 6 meals per day?? Evenly spaced of course. If you're pissed off, take it out on the weights, best thing to do!

Try getting the idea of "bulking" out of your mind right now. Just build some quality muscle. You should be making some mad gains on a full body routine. Do you keep a notebook tracking each workout including weight lifted, reps, sets? If not, start. And increase weight or reps each and every week, no excuses.

Keep at it man, hard work and consistency will bring you gains, patience too

pioppob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

181lb and only 122g protein? That's the problem. Get more protein in your diet and you're set.

Also, as far as the pullups go, the best way to get better at something is to practice it. Sure, lat pulldowns will give you gains, but i'd recommend doing Negatives to increase your strength. Watch scooby's pull up video and see if it works for you.

Good luck

crayon416 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crayon416 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crayon416 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crayon416 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crayon416 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) crayon416 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    maybe you're doing one of those stupid workouts where you take too many breaks and so you muscles arent being challenged. Like if you're not sore the next day or if you're not seeing gains in terms of strengths, that likely means your muscles arent growing.

Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sway12 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mhilliard44 View Post
    Maybe try 6 meals per day?? Evenly spaced of course. If you're pissed off, take it out on the weights, best thing to do!

Try getting the idea of "bulking" out of your mind right now. Just build some quality muscle. You should be making some mad gains on a full body routine. Do you keep a notebook tracking each workout including weight lifted, reps, sets? If not, start. And increase weight or reps each and every week, no excuses.

Keep at it man, hard work and consistency will bring you gains, patience too
    thanks man. That wasnt my complete diary, I ate more that day, its just an example, I usually eat 4 meals + a day and I just log it all as breakfast to make it easier.

I have been increasing the weight but Ive stopped full body and now I've started a 5 day split because I was advised to do it. I actually feel proper soreness for the first time which I wasn't getting much of on full body, like back day was yesterday and I feel doms in my lats for the first time in 4 months of training, so maybe my body will respond to higher volume.

RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50) RagingVeins will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're getting enough protein and rest and you're not making gains, it's either your routine or your performance in doing that routine. I have personally done full body routines before, and I never see the type of gains from them that I do from doing a normal, well-balanced routine that simply includes deadlifts and squats in it. You also don't want to be overdoing it in the gym. Like, right now, I wouldn't recommend you going 5x a week. You should be working out hard enough that your body needs the rest after at least two days straight of working out. So, more like,: On/On/Off/Off/On/On/Off or something. Once you start making a lot more gains and you get closer to plateauing, then you can efficiently go 5x a week.

Also, make sure you're really doing the exercises correctly. I feel like a large, large majority of people bench/squat/deadlift incorrectly. Watch this on how to deadlift (guy weighs 132 pounds and can deadlift 600+):

and watch this series on how to bench:

and this on how to squat:

But I'd recommend doing a split where you're doing 3-4 exercises per body part, two body parts per workout, and try to lift heavy and keep it under an hour and 15 minutes per session. Focus on form, keep ramping up the weight, eat right, and get plenty of rest. You'll make solid gains if you do all that.

dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50) dilweed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Those videos are the best, great refrences

xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50) xcountryrunner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    are you getting stronger? are you consistently gaining weight? is your nutrition on par? If all these are checked, it just takes time for you to notice gains. Give it 6 months, then see if you've made progress or not.
    Manlet for life

beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    a couple of things. first of all don't try to look for changes every day because it takes time and you will get discouraged. keeping that in mind, i do feel like you haven't made much progress since the January picture muscle wise.
    post your routine. like someone said here its either the routine or the performance.
    personally i found a legs/push/pull/off/repeat routine to work REALLY well for me.
    stick to the basics.
    Legs: squats, leg press, lunge.
    push: bench (flat/incline), shoulder press, flyes, lateral raises.
    pull: deadlift, bent over row, lat pulldown, db rows.

thats just an example of my routine (part of it). personally the main compound movements i focus on more strength (first exercise that day 4-6 reps), hyperthropy for the other exercises.
    make sure you got the form DOWN!!! don't do half squats and partial reps that will get you no where. drop the weight if you must and focus on the contraction.

you are bound to make strength and muscle gains just change something every few months and see how that works for you. and keep at it!!

Originally Posted by xcountryrunner View Post
    are you getting stronger? are you consistently gaining weight? is your nutrition on par? If all these are checked, it just takes time for you to notice gains. Give it 6 months, then see if you've made progress or not.
    Am indeed getting stronger, every week my lifts go up. Started at a 20kg deadlift (lulz) back in October, now at 95kg, going for 100 tommorow. My nutrition is fine, I get enough calories as I am gaining weight every week.

My routine for the last 4 months was a full body 4x a week, but I chopped and changed exercises quite alot. I also never got a good pump and never felt DOMS the next day anywhere except my legs really...

However.... from last Sunday I've made the switch to a split and I'm finally getting a really good mind-muscle connection and getting a pump in every muscle group I'm training. Hopefully I will respond to the increased volume but I'm enjoying hammering specific body parts much much more.

beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beiko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sway12 View Post
    Am indeed getting stronger, every week my lifts go up. Started at a 20kg deadlift (lulz) back in October, now at 95kg, going for 100 tommorow. My nutrition is fine, I get enough calories as I am gaining weight every week.

My routine for the last 4 months was a full body 4x a week, but I chopped and changed exercises quite alot. I also never got a good pump and never felt DOMS the next day anywhere except my legs really...

However.... from last Sunday I've made the switch to a split and I'm finally getting a really good mind-muscle connection and getting a pump in every muscle group I'm training. Hopefully I will respond to the increased volume but I'm enjoying hammering specific body parts much much more.
    also i just noticed that your first pic was from the end of Jan, so its only been a month. give it at least 3 months to see changes and stick to your new split.

Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mesomang is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Strong muthafkn bro science up in this biiiiitch hahahaha

Originally Posted by beiko View Post
    also i just noticed that your first pic was from the end of Jan, so its only been a month. give it at least 3 months to see changes and stick to your new split.
    Yes, but I've gotten smaller since I started 'bulking'... thats why im pissed off. Even though weights going up my clothes are fitting looser which i hate the feeling of. Srsly irritated

Yes, but I've gotten smaller since I started 'bulking'... thats why im pissed off. Even though weights going up my clothes are fitting looser which i hate the feeling of. Srsly irritated
    bumping this. Its late March and I haven't seen much progress at all. I've upped my calories and the fat is gaining round the mid section. I think my training is inefficient, I can't stick to a beginners routine because I havent seen a single person whos made good size gains on one....

fking confused mang.

MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000) MardyKNT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your test levels are legit fine.

afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10) afries is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pioppob View Post
    181lb and only 122g protein? That's the problem. Get more protein in your diet and you're set.

Also, as far as the pullups go, the best way to get better at something is to practice it. Sure, lat pulldowns will give you gains, but i'd recommend doing Negatives to increase your strength. Watch scooby's pull up video and see if it works for you.

Good luck
    yeah need more protein you should be eating close to 3k calories

AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AutumnHB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by afries View Post
    yeah need more protein you should be eating close to 3k calories
    ^this, OP
    Muscletech Cooking Threads: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158893393
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158896843

Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Either your diet sucks or your training sucks. If you are eating enough calories to gain weight, which you are, and you're getting 180g of protein, then your routine needs some attention. What is your routine like?
    Best Meet Lifts:
    375/255/430/1060 - 8/9/14
    435/281/501/1217 - 12/6/14

Best Gym Lifts:
    440/280(paused)/495/1215

Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zachary419 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what do your lifts look like before/after?

I pray to the holy lord you are doing barbell work.

If not drop the bull**** and stick to barbells...you don't need to worry about doing anything else at this point.

Squat/Deadlift/Bench/Pull-ups./Press

I get the feeling too you are not pushing yourself at the gym as hard as you can... PUSH YOUR SELF HARD...make it uncomfortable (be wise)..lift as heavy as you can with GOOD form...

5 reps 3 set...your main focus should be building a base of strength right now.

that is all.

I never use machines. Cables rarely. My routine has changed multiple times, right now its a bro split..

Registered User afteraesthetics's Avatar
    afteraesthetics has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If unsure about your training being enough, go for a 6-12 rep to failure for 3-4 sets. Training to failure, I mean physically being unable to move the weight anymore kind of ensures you are doing enough. 3 months hard to see much improvements after the beginner gains (for most guys) imho.

beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beowulf10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How old are you? I wonder if you're just growing taller.
    Doc had but three redeeming traits. One was his courage; he was afraid of nothing on Earth. The second was the one commendable principal in his code of life, sterling loyalty to friends. The third was his affection for Wyatt Earp.

Originally Posted by beowulf10 View Post
    How old are you? I wonder if you're just growing taller.
    lol 22.... why would you say that/??

Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000) Brofessor is just really nice. (+1000)
    I never use machines. Cables rarely. My routine has changed multiple times, right now its a bro split..
    If you are still relatively new to lifting, as in a year or less of consistent lifting, I would recommend following a proven structured routine with lots of key compound exercises. You will gain so much more from doing something like that than a split. There are several great starter routines in the workout routines forum.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    375/255/430/1060 - 8/9/14
    435/281/501/1217 - 12/6/14

Best Gym Lifts:
    440/280(paused)/495/1215

shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shamroc617 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Brofessor View Post
    If you are still relatively new to lifting, as in a year or less of consistent lifting, I would recommend following a proven structured routine with lots of key compound exercises. You will gain so much more from doing something like that than a split. There are several great starter routines in the workout routines forum.
    This. Research a proven routine and follow it. Should be based around the big lifts which will ensure you are getting the most bang for your buck as a newer lifter. You need to nail the compounds to build base strength and the rest will follow. Also, track macros. You don't need to go all weighing food hardcore but keep a basic track using a phone app to ensure you are getting enough protein. It is deceiving and more difficult than you think getting 1g protein per 1lb. Keep up the hard work it WILL pay off.
    Success comes with sacrifice

"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder then you. Guess what.. I'm that someone" -- Kevin Garnett

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right" -- Henry Ford

iRepBack.. Always

Originally Posted by shamroc617 View Post
    This. Research a proven routine and follow it. Should be based around the big lifts which will ensure you are getting the most bang for your buck as a newer lifter. You need to nail the compounds to build base strength and the rest will follow. Also, track macros. You don't need to go all weighing food hardcore but keep a basic track using a phone app to ensure you are getting enough protein. It is deceiving and more difficult than you think getting 1g protein per 1lb. Keep up the hard work it WILL pay off.
    Could ICF 5x5 work for me? All I want is size and I'm not fussed about strength, but have yet to see anyone posting decent results with full body programs