Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Unhappy Compound Exercises? Serious question!

Maybe I'm a noob, but this question has been bugging me.

Time is an issue for me at the gym as far as motivation goes. If I know ahead of time that a certain workout day will take over an hour, its hard motivating myself to go (no gym partner =/). So....I am going to create my program to incorperate compound exercises, here is my question...

If I am doing compound exercises can I skip doing more isolation type workouts?

For example,
    Doing deadlifts, can I skip doing a lower back exercise later in the week such as Back Extensions...?]
    Powercleans, skip extra shoulder workouts?
    Rows, skip an extra bicep workout etc?

Keep in mind, I am not planning on eliminating a muscle group completely. Simply just reducing it from 3 bicep exercises and a Back exercise to maybe Rows and preacher curls etc.

Ryanc18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanc18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanc18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanc18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanc18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ryanc18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One compound, one isolation isnt ideal OP. Why are you struggling for motivation, an hour in the gym is nothing. It flies by, headphones in and crack on fella
    Currently cutting - Maintaining strength

Down from 195lbs 17% body fat - 170lbs 10%

Lean bulk starting Sept 2014 - May 2015
    Goal weight: 200lbs

"Train insane or stay the same"

Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ganning will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Ryanc18 View Post
    One compound, one isolation isnt ideal OP. Why are you struggling for motivation, an hour in the gym is nothing. It flies by, headphones in and crack on fella
    Sorry if I wasn't specific, when the total workout starts becoming 1.5 hours or 2 hours...that's when it gets discouraging. Also, when your looking at a long list of iso workouts. Then you have to consider 20min of cardio. It really starts adding up. I'd be much more motivated if I knew it wouldn't take longer than an hour. With about 3-4 exercises tops and some Bike HIIT.

Also, when you don't have a group of friends or even a workout partner...The time drags and I absolutely dread that. I mean, I just can't get motivated for exercises like back extensions, or, Leg curls. Bench, Squat, and Deadlift are fun...

Do compounds compensate enough for less iso's?

DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000) DivaJana is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Ganning View Post
    Do compounds compensate enough for less iso's?
    Yes, for beginners. And there are a plenty of solid beginner routines based on compound lifts like Starting Strength and All Pro's all of which won't require more than an hour inside the gym, much less in most cases.

ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ironmaniac508 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Compound lifts are superior to isolation lifts, get stronger with the basic lifts and you will get bigger. Worry about isolation movements when you become a more advanced trainee. However, I suggest doing isolation movements for your rear delts.
    6'4", 215

Obsessed with Latinas

pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pogioli4 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ganning View Post
    Maybe I'm a noob, but this question has been bugging me.

Time is an issue for me at the gym as far as motivation goes. If I know ahead of time that a certain workout day will take over an hour, its hard motivating myself to go (no gym partner =/). So....I am going to create my program to incorperate compound exercises, here is my question...

If I am doing compound exercises can I skip doing more isolation type workouts?

For example,
    Doing deadlifts, can I skip doing a lower back exercise later in the week such as Back Extensions...?]
    Powercleans, skip extra shoulder workouts?
    Rows, skip an extra bicep workout etc?

Keep in mind, I am not planning on eliminating a muscle group completely. Simply just reducing it from 3 bicep exercises and a Back exercise to maybe Rows and preacher curls etc.
    You can prly do less isolation movements and be just fine, but saying you're gonna skip back extensions because of deadlift or skip shoulders because of cleans worries me that your form is not correct on your lifts. dbl check your primary muscle groups focused on in your compound exercises before you start assuming you can skip any isolations

Originally Posted by pogioli4 View Post
    You can prly do less isolation movements and be just fine, but saying you're gonna skip back extensions because of deadlift or skip shoulders because of cleans worries me that your form is not correct on your lifts. dbl check your primary muscle groups focused on in your compound exercises before you start assuming you can skip any isolations
    lol, no I'm not using all back during dead lifts etc. But you do extend your back during a deadlift. And during cleans, your doing the motion of an upright row. Again, I was asking IF you could do less isolations, not skip entirely.

For example, if you use traps during cleans and your doing a very similar motion to the upright row, why even do an upright row? Just go straight to shrugs and be done...its one less workout which = less time in the gym.

HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HippyHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't like back extensions but that is just my personal opinion. Deadlifts should suffice. Also use the pullup bars for ab exercises since it involves the whole core and you can involve back in a safe and more effective way in my opinion if done correctly. I only spend one hour in the gym but I'm busting a**. I go from one workout to the next and if I'm tired it only takes me maybe a minute and I'm good to go again. Yoga is also good for strengthening the back without the gym.

Originally Posted by HippyHeart View Post
    I don't like back extensions but that is just my personal opinion. Deadlifts should suffice. Also use the pullup bars for ab exercises since it involves the whole core and you can involve back in a safe and more effective way in my opinion if done correctly. I only spend one hour in the gym but I'm busting a**. I go from one workout to the next and if I'm tired it only takes me maybe a minute and I'm good to go again. Yoga is also good for strengthening the back without the gym.

I wish I could do a 10x4 pull ups. But unfortunately I weigh 250, I gotta lose some fat before I can really benefit from that again. I'm the same as far as going from workout to workout, I really just try to put in the work then get the heck outta there.

artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) artvandelay02 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Compound lifts don't "compensate" for isolation movements. They are 10x more important and what you should be focusing on as a beginner.
    Deadlift: 575x1
    Squat: 425x1
    Bench: 260x1

182 lbs.

"There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift." - Jon Pall Sigmarsson

Go Seahawks!!