Anabolism at its Finest MISTERDUDE's Avatar
    MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000)

Using D-Aspartic Acid "as needed"

Hello,

I will open with my question, and provide more detail and context below. Thank you in advance for your responses!

My question is: Can I just take D-Aspartic Acid "as needed" without cycling - meaning, take it on a day/days where I feel a need for added recovery?

Additionally: What would the effects be - would I suffer any negative feedback to the DAA usage if I took it 2-4 days a week for several months?

(Am I just wasting my supplement? I think the DAA gives me its effect on a day (or within a day or two) after I take it).

Context and information:
    After scouring the web for information on DAA, I have seen the study that indicated there was 'no effect' in the early 20s weight lifters are 28 days of usage. (I have seen the other studies as well). I began to be concerned about negative feedback with continuous use [although some do not believe that exact mechanism is an issue EDIT - removed link to reference]

ALSO, since DAA seems to increase my appetite, I thought that not using DAA continuously would help negate that effect.

I have used DAA a few times, and run it with standard cycling protocols (i.e., 6 weeks on, 4 weeks off; or 12 weeks on, 8-12 weeks off, etc). I have also refrained from using it for several months at a time; I have not run DAA continuously.

I like to use DAA while dieting/cutting to 'preserve' testosterone levels. I also like to use it after a night where I don't sleep well/ a day where I think my recovery may be jeopardized due to a lot of physical activity, like a strenuous soccer game
    Last edited by MISTERDUDE; 02-14-2014 at 06:49 AM.

It's pronounced gif eatyourspinach's Avatar
    eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) eatyourspinach has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    First edit out the link, second I don't think that your testosterone preservation theory is all that well informed.
    My secret? Texting between sets.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    that would be pointless to take it only when you need "recovery" since it doesnt help in that aspect
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total

Team MuscleTech Rep/EMT-B BlueRev's Avatar
    BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BlueRev has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I guess i don't really see a benefit by doing it that way...
    Kick.com/beetoxic
    Give me a Follow for some REP

changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000) changemyoil66 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not sure if DAA will help with recovery...
    BPI Brand Ambassador

Proud member of the 1000lbs club

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Since it takes a couple of weeks for DAA to start doing anything at all, dosing it only "as needed" would do nothing but waste money.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

Anabolism at its Finest MISTERDUDE's Avatar
    MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000) MISTERDUDE is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for the replies everyone,

Originally Posted by eatyourspinach View Post
    First edit out the link, second I don't think that your testosterone preservation theory is all that well informed.
    1. I'll get rid of the link.
    2. The concept of using a testosterone booster while dieting or in a state where additional recovery assistance could help is not a new idea. I'll let you look into that [which you might already be aware of], but I guess my question relates more to using DAA sporadically to help on a specific day - rather than using in consistently - to achieve the same/similar effect just that day/ the next day or so.

Originally Posted by BlueRev View Post
    I guess i don't really see a benefit by doing it that way...
    I guess why I'm posting the thread It may not offer a benefit.

It *seems to* when I use it this way, but that could be a load of crap. I would NOT ever recommend DAA usage in this manner to someone else, if that makes sense. (But I would say: I've tried it this way, and this was my experience, etc).

What I have noticed is: running DAA continuously tends to boost my hunger a lot, more so than I find valuable (especially when cutting). I have found that the sporadic use (like 1-4 times a week, or even less consistently) does not produce the same hunger. DAA also *may* have a negative feedback mechanism in place with sustained use (see the examine.com article on D-Aspartic acid - is that link allowed? e. http://examine.com/supplements/D-Aspartic+Acid/
    ); I was hoping sporadic use could negate that, but DAA might be in my system (so to speak) long enough that I am not negating it anyway. I've read mixed reports on that.

Originally Posted by changemyoil66 View Post
    Not sure if DAA will help with recovery...
    It's the same idea as other natural testosterone boosters - I guess it's not a "recovery" supplement like your post-workout nutrition might be.

I'm hoping/thinking I get some testosterone boost with sporadic use, but without the other effects I was hoping to avoid (see my original post).

Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Since it takes a couple of weeks for DAA to start doing anything at all, dosing it only "as needed" would do nothing but waste money.
    I might be wasting money, that is true. But the original study [in humans] on DAA was for 12 days (or at least, that is how long blood samples or testosterone and other readings were taken), so that's not exactly "a couple weeks." The testosterone boosting effect was shown within 6 days http://examine.com/supplements/D-Asp...id/#summary7-2.

***I am NOT Claiming the examine.com stuff is all fact; but it is something I have read, and wanted feedback on. There are other posters on different sites who think that the 28-day study showing no positive impact from DAA usage was flawed in its design, but I digress.
    Last edited by MISTERDUDE; 02-14-2014 at 06:53 AM.

Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Cheftepesh is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would say for the reasons your planning on using it probably won't do much. I would look into other supps
    If you not feeling the burn your not pushing hard enough.
    "Don't talk about it, be about it" MK
    Change, Challenge, Compete

joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joregorn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    better off eating a hookers dirty underwear
    No one cared who I was before I put on the calves.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself...
    Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joregorn View Post
    better off eating a hookers dirty underwear
    thats how you catch something
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total