saraheadie28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Low Carb Meal Plan Advice and a Question about Chicken

Hi Everyone,

Situation One:

My trainer has me on 50g of carbohydrates - Jasmine Rice to be exact- ONLY per day. My goal is to lose body fat. I estimate that my body fat percentage is about 25% and I want it to be 18%. I weigh 143 lbs and have a goal to become 120-125 lbs. While this meal plan has shown me great results so far, I have a bigger problem.....NO ENERGY! To be completely honest, sometimes the result is binging in a meal and immediately my mind shouts for sugar! I know that I don't WANT it, but I CRAVE it anyway. Is there a way to just get through the day? I am having a difficult time with this. My show is in June. I know that I want to see results, but I feel like I am in a constant battle emotionally with myself. So, that being said I have a few questions...

A) Would having a small banana before I workout completely change the results I see?
    B) Is there anything I can do to stop the negative voices that say I need sugar?
    C) Is there something I can carry with me at all times that is okay to eat if I am desperate need of energy?

Situation Two:

I hate chicken. I always over cook it and then have to microwave it because I cook all my meals on Sundays for the week. I don't like the taste of it which I have come to terms with. I am allowed any spices and vinaigrette right now. I have to eat 2 meals of 4oz of chicken and 4 oz of white fish daily. So now my questions are....

A) How the heck to I cook it so it is tender and not like chewing a piece of plastic?
    B) Are there any recipes that can allow me to rekindle my liking for chicken without it making me want to throw up? *Sorry for the description*

Thank-you for your help!!!

nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You should talk to your trainer about this. First of all, 50g of carbs is not necessary and sounds miserable, and getting carbs from only jasmine rice is dumb unless you love jasmine rice. I've done low carb dieting before, and if you prefer it, fine I guess. But it doesn't sound like you prefer or it like it's working for you. Fat loss comes down to a caloric deficit, NOT a low carb diet. If you don't like chicken get your protein somewhere else. Those foods aren't magical. Check out the thread on calculating cals and macros, come up with what you think is reasonable, and discuss it with your trainer. Sounds like some pretty serious bro science going on with him/her.

Edited to add that if you're struggling this much early on, you REALLY need to rethink the low carb thing, because it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a major post show carb binge and rebound. You can go about this in a more balanced way and still get results - and they will probably last you longer than something that's clearly not a good fit for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by nycag04; 02-13-2014 at 07:45 AM.
    my journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160013781

Originally Posted by nycag04 View Post
    You should talk to your trainer about this. First of all, 50g of carbs is not necessary and sounds miserable, and getting carbs from only jasmine rice is dumb unless you love jasmine rice. I've done low carb dieting before, and if you prefer it, fine I guess. But it doesn't sound like you prefer or it like it's working for you. Fat loss comes down to a caloric deficit, NOT a low carb diet. If you don't like chicken get your protein somewhere else. Those foods aren't magical. Check out the thread on calculating cals and macros, come up with what you think is reasonable, and discuss it with your trainer. Sounds like some pretty serious bro science going on with him/her.

Edited to add that if you're struggling this much early on, you REALLY need to rethink the low carb thing, because it sounds like you're setting yourself up for a major post show carb binge and rebound. You can go about this in a more balanced way and still get results - and they will probably last you longer than something that's clearly not a good fit for you. Good luck.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I have mentioned my concern to my trainer and she just explains that if I don't stick to the plan, I must not want it bad enough. I will definitely take a look at the macro and calorie counters. I am pretty miserable Thank-you so much for the reply. I greatly appreciate it

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by saraheadie28 View Post
    I hate chicken. I always over cook it and then have to microwave it because I cook all my meals on Sundays for the week. I don't like the taste of it which I have come to terms with. I am allowed any spices and vinaigrette right now. I have to eat 2 meals of 4oz of chicken and 4 oz of white fish daily. So now my questions are....

A) How the heck to I cook it so it is tender and not like chewing a piece of plastic?
    B) Are there any recipes that can allow me to rekindle my liking for chicken without it making me want to throw up? *Sorry for the description*
    Oh I love chicken breast, it's delicious the way I make it - rub plenty of Grill Mates steak rub into your chicken and coat with olive oil (cook it on the grill if you can.) Your diet looks very very restricted in general and boring honestly, so I'm not sure if that's why you're not doing olive oil on the chicken. Regardless, if you want tender delicious chicken the answer is using seasoning, sauce, olive oil.

50g of carbs is insane, I would be falling asleep all day.

Best of luck OP.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nycag04 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I couldn't agree with you more. I have mentioned my concern to my trainer and she just explains that if I don't stick to the plan, I must not want it bad enough. I will definitely take a look at the macro and calorie counters. I am pretty miserable Thank-you so much for the reply. I greatly appreciate it
    Not even kidding - find a new trainer. Yours sucks. Haha. Sorry, but there are lots of people out there who will work with you, not against you, who don't subscribe to bro science. Rooting for you!

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why low carb?
    Low carb does not speed up fat loss.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) paiger0321 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not even kidding - find a new trainer. Yours sucks. Haha. Sorry, but there are lots of people out there who will work with you, not against you, who don't subscribe to bro science. Rooting for you!
    This. Good luck OP.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So much this^^^^

Get away from this trainer NOW!!! Someone who will not work with what you like to eat and just tells you to deal with it or you dont want it bad enough is a HORRIBLE trainer. I dont know if this is supposed to lead to a contest or not, but it sounds like a bunch of contest voodoo.

If you dont like chicken or white fish, you do not have to stick with those proteins only. You can use beef, pork, duck, lamb, bison, any other fish you like, ostrich, deer, any protein you want and like. And you can use all kinds of seasonings and ways of cooking to make it taste good.

I myself always look for easy to cook recipes that are yummy and dont take a lot of time to prepare and cook. I am beginning to become a master with a crockpot

As others have said, there is also no reason why you have to get your carbs from rice only, and if you have no energy on the diet this early on, then your trainer SHOULD adjust your diet accordingly. A good trainer would change up your macros and foods to find what works for you and your lifestyle, not tell you that you must not want it badly enough....

Please find another trainer/coach. It does not have to be this way at all, and you do not have to be miserable to lose weight.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    So much this^^^^

Get away from this trainer NOW!!! Someone who will not work with what you like to eat and just tells you to deal with it or you dont want it bad enough is a HORRIBLE trainer. I dont know if this is supposed to lead to a contest or not, but it sounds like a bunch of contest voodoo.

If you dont like chicken or white fish, you do not have to stick with those proteins only. You can use beef, pork, duck, lamb, bison, any other fish you like, ostrich, deer, any protein you want and like. And you can use all kinds of seasonings and ways of cooking to make it taste good.

I myself always look for easy to cook recipes that are yummy and dont take a lot of time to prepare and cook. I am beginning to become a master with a crockpot

As others have said, there is also no reason why you have to get your carbs from rice only, and if you have no energy on the diet this early on, then your trainer SHOULD adjust your diet accordingly. A good trainer would change up your macros and foods to find what works for you and your lifestyle, not tell you that you must not want it badly enough....

Please find another trainer/coach. It does not have to be this way at all, and you do not have to be miserable to lose weight.

As soon as I finished reading all of the posts I have received I immediately found someone new who agreed with everything you have said. I absolutely love training and eating healthy, but this trainer I had started to put a bad taste in my mouth. You all are so amazing for helping me figure this out!!!!

MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000) MCostley is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That's great that you have found someone else who can train you better! I couldn't imagine eating 50g of carbs! Eggs, Egg whites, protein poweder, etc all have carbs - not alot but they all add up! Good luck to you OP!

It's nice to see someone asking for advice and then actually following the advice they receive.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As soon as I finished reading all of the posts I have received I immediately found someone new who agreed with everything you have said. I absolutely love training and eating healthy, but this trainer I had started to put a bad taste in my mouth. You all are so amazing for helping me figure this out!!!!
    I am so glad that you found someone to work with you. And i am really glad we were able to help you avoid having no energy and feeling miserable. This whole process can be enjoyable and add to your life. Keep us updated and good luck!
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

It's nice to see someone asking for advice and then actually following the advice they receive.

OF COURSE!!!! I appreciate your advice!

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    I am so glad that you found someone to work with you. And i am really glad we were able to help you avoid having no energy and feeling miserable. This whole process can be enjoyable and add to your life. Keep us updated and good luck!

Thanks so much! Phew, this awful miserable day is turning out to be awesome ...all thanks to you lovely ladies!!!!! You are all lifesavers!!!

zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50) zizsplat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you aren't too worried about 'clean' eating, there are these little spice packets called chicken in a bag by Maggi. You put the chicken breasts in the bag and then bake them and they cook in their own juices and always come out very moist and delicious - never dry or rubbery.

krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) krisrenee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Carbs like rice, bread, fruits, etc.: eat in the morning and after a workout. Carbs like broccoli, spinach, etc.: eat ANYTIME, unlimited amounts. But it is definitely not going to kill you to eat a banana before a workout, especially if you need the energy.

Cooking your chicken: in the oven at 350degrees for about 40-50mins. Just make sure the meat is white, and the juices are clear. Tender, not rubbery

My favorite recipe:
    Spinach tortilla, spinach, avocado, diced chicken breast.
    Lay out the spinach all over the tortilla.
    Mash the avocado.
    Mix the diced chicken into the mashed avocado.
    Spoon the mixture onto spinach.
    Wrap it up and eat it

lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) lindseypaige27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi Everyone,

Situation One:

My trainer has me on 50g of carbohydrates - Jasmine Rice to be exact- ONLY per day. My goal is to lose body fat. I estimate that my body fat percentage is about 25% and I want it to be 18%. I weigh 143 lbs and have a goal to become 120-125 lbs. While this meal plan has shown me great results so far, I have a bigger problem.....NO ENERGY! To be completely honest, sometimes the result is binging in a meal and immediately my mind shouts for sugar! I know that I don't WANT it, but I CRAVE it anyway. Is there a way to just get through the day? I am having a difficult time with this. My show is in June. I know that I want to see results, but I feel like I am in a constant battle emotionally with myself. So, that being said I have a few questions...

A) Would having a small banana before I workout completely change the results I see?
    B) Is there anything I can do to stop the negative voices that say I need sugar?
    C) Is there something I can carry with me at all times that is okay to eat if I am desperate need of energy?

Situation Two:

Thank-you for your help!!!
    Hey! wait jasmine rise? Is that a joke? First of all there are other forms of carbs that are WAY healthier for you nutrition wise. . . I studied personal training with NASM and it was policy to not give ANY nutrition advice, unless you have a degree or certification to do so. What is your trainers education background?

a good snack to cary would be almonds. They have some protein to they to help fill you up and also cut cravings for chocolate because they are high in magnesium. Having low magnesium tends to make us crave sugar.
    And why MUST you eat chicken? There are other great lean sores of protein out there. I prefer lean ground turkey over chicken.

lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) lowedown will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Glad you got away from that trainer... carbs are not the devil! ha.

For the chicken... I agree with rockangel. Crockpot all the way. If you "overcook" it, your meat just ends up more tender and awesome. It's amazing. I find recipes online, mostly from mommy blogs (because those women are all about efficiency and getting stuff done). I'll tweak those recipes to fit my macros if necessary.

So tonight I'll probably take some chicken, jalapenos, onions, and green peppers and throw it all in the crockpot with some taco seasoning. Cook on high 4-6 hours or low 8 hours, shred the chicken, and then throw the mixture on a tortilla or over a bed of rice.

Or you can try cooking the chicken in the oven instead of on the stove. Put foil overtop the dish to seal in the juices.

Hope that helps.