58543 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skinny fat beginner, need tips on best routine and diet for size.

Hello everyone,

I've basically become the definition of skinny fat and yesterday I posted a thread somewhere asking for help on whether I should bulk or cut. Although a couple mentioned that I should lift on a maintenance, most people in the thread suggested I bulk. I've decided to do the latter and bulk. As was already mentioned, I am definitely underweight for my height, but I carry a lot of fat around my waist mainly due to bad eating habits for the last couple of years. As of Tuesday I weigh around 152 lbs at almost 6'2.

ALBUM: imgur.com/a/AvzxT

I was looking at maybe beginning Starting Strength this Monday, unless some of you know a better beginner's program that would be more specifically effective for gaining size (something that's a current priority for my frame). From what little research I've done it seems that gains in strength would equally correlate with size anyway.

Using this website: "freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm" to measure my daily caloric intake, I found out that my maintenance level for a 3 day split would only be 2435 calories a day. I don't know my body-fat % so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

However because I'm a skinny fat person, I feel as though my macros (carbs-fats-protein) should at least be divided to some degree on account of my situation.

My main goal would more accurately be described as: cutting once I reach +40 lbs, but not to be a lard ass by that point. I expect fat gain, but I don't want to deal with something discouraging and hard to lose..

TL;DR: I need help on suggestions for both the routine and diet, and welcome any tips you can give whatsoever.
    Last edited by 58543; 02-08-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been on All Pros for a while now and I highly recommend it if you are looking to put on size. It can be found at the very top of the stickies. Someone more educated than me will chime in on the diet part I'm sure, best of luck to you!
    Last edited by Welderdude; 02-08-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Originally Posted by Welderdude View Post
    I've been on All Pros for a while now and I highly recommend it if you are looking to put on size. It can be found at the very top of the stickies. Someone more educated than me will chime in on the diet part I'm sure, best of luck to you!
    Thanks man. Do you know much weight you gained as a result of doing Allpros?

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 58543 View Post
    What’s My Genetic Muscular Potential?

Good read there. 25 pounds of muscle in a year, best guess, although as a young, underweight male, these figures are probably accurate, or underestimations, so what you wanna do is aim to gain 25-30 pounds in your 1st year, for maximal muscle gain, minimal fat gain. To do this, 0.5 pounds a week will do. AP employs periodization of intensity, and a slow progression scheme, which makes clean bulks, such as a 0.5 pound per week, easier to run in accordance with the program. If your goal is muscle without fat, 0.5 pounds per week is a good rate for you. This adds up to, of course, 25-30 pounds in your 1st year, to be on the safe side, and you'll cover the next 10-15 a little while after. Would this be a rate you're happy with?

Read Calculating Calories and Macronutrients here. That'll tell you everything you need to know in regard to diet. Work out your BMR, then your TDEE, then add 10-20%, then eat that many calories a day, as well as hitting the macronutrient targets it gives you down below. Weigh yourself frequently, and look to be gaining at a rate you're happy with (0.5 optimally if you're trying to minimise fat gains). If you're below this rate, up your daily caloric intake by 1-200, weigh again. If you're above this rate, and you don't wanna be, down your daily caloric intake by 1-200, weigh again. Once you consistently see weight gain at your desired rate, you're doing things right.

That should cover the diet area, as for routine, you've already been given AP, excellent choice. There's other options out there, but I think AP is right on the mark for you, as I said, it works well for people who want to keep their surpluses narrow, and who, as you say, "want to gain the least amount of fat as they possibly can", so if you like AP, there you go. Diet, check. Routine, check.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 02-08-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Welderdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ran it for about 8 months and went from just shy of 165 to 190 on a bulk. Obviously wasn't all muscle, but it made a huge difference. Had to take about a year off due to family business but I started the program again the first of this year. It's amazing how fast I am already gaining the muscle back that put on then. It's a great program for sure, and I plan on sticking with it as long as I keep growing. Plus, as the name implies its really simple. I also eat copious amounts of calories when running it, that seems to be the key for me. I see no issue getting to 200+ bulking while on this program.

Originally Posted by CJ93UK View Post
    Good read there. 25 pounds of muscle in a year, best guess, although as a young, underweight male, these figures are probably accurate, or underestimations, so what you wanna do is aim to gain 25-30 pounds in your 1st year, for maximal muscle gain, minimal fat gain. To do this, 0.5 pounds a week will do. AP employs periodization of intensity, and a slow progression scheme, which makes clean bulks, such as a 0.5 pound per week, easier to run in accordance with the program. If your goal is muscle without fat, 0.5 pounds per week is a good rate for you. This adds up to, of course, 25-30 pounds in your 1st year, to be on the safe side, and you'll cover the next 10-15 a little while after. Would this be a rate you're happy with?

That'll tell you everything you need to know in regard to diet. Work out your BMR, then your TDEE, then add 10-20%, then eat that many calories a day, as well as hitting the macronutrient targets it gives you down below. Weigh yourself frequently, and look to be gaining at a rate you're happy with (0.5 optimally if you're trying to minimise fat gains). If you're below this rate, up your daily caloric intake by 1-200, weigh again. If you're above this rate, and you don't wanna be, down your daily caloric intake by 1-200, weigh again. Once you consistently see weight gain at your desired rate, you're doing things right.

That should cover the diet area, as for routine, you've already been given AP, excellent choice. There's other options out there, but I think AP is right on the mark for you, as I said, it works well for people who want to keep their surpluses narrow, and who, as you say, "want to gain the least amount of fat as they possibly can", so if you like AP, there you go. Diet, check. Routine, check.
    Thank you for the very helpful information. Why is All Pro better in your eyes than SS at gaining weight with a desired rate? My priority of gaining 40 lb is slightly bigger than gaining weight with the least amount of fat. Would my bf% drastically increase if I do SS on 1 lb week surplus rate? Sorry if these questions seem redundant.

Would it be more effective and just go all out and so something like an SS surplus until I reach 40 lb then cutting?

My goal would more accurately be described as: cutting once I reach +40 lbs, but not to be a lard ass by that point. I expect fat gain, but I don't want to deal with something discouraging and hard to lose.

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thank you for the very helpful information. Why is All Pro better in your eyes than SS at gaining weight with a desired rate? My priority of gaining 40 lb is slightly bigger than gaining weight with the least amount of fat. Would my bf% drastically increase if I do SS on 1 lb week surplus rate? Sorry if these questions seem redundant.

Would it be more effective and just go all out and so something like an SS surplus until I reach 40 lb then cutting?

My goal would more accurately be described as: cutting once I reach +40 lbs, but not to be a lard ass by that point. I expect fat gain, but I don't want to deal with something discouraging and hard to lose.
    SS is a very solid program, I run it myself, even ran it today, but because of this, I know it's an intense program, with a fast progression scheme, where the main aim is to get stronger in your lifts as fast and efficiently as possible, disregarding size and fat gain to some extent. To be honest, I didn't read much of your OP, read the bold, read that guys response, threw in what I thought'd be helpful. Having read more of your post now, apologies, and the info you just put, SS may be a good choice for you then, provided you're willing to gain a little more weight at a faster rate. You don't need to become fat, but you will need a few extra calories along the way if you want good success off SS. Keep in mind SS is a strength program, that's its goal, if that doesn't correlate at all with your goals, consider if it's definitely what you wanna do. That's not to say you shouldn't run it, just that most people find running routines aimed at their goals gets them the better result, but it's a vague contrast, I'd say SS is still a very strong choice here, especially considering it does work in accordance with some of what you've said.

The simple fact is SS, on a good surplus, will make you very strong, and it'll also make you very big, compared to before. Again, if I speak from personal experience, I'm running SS, I've come up from near your weight, late 150 range at the beginning, to where I am now, 40+ pounds later, at a rate of a bit more than 1 pound a week, and I'm very happy with where I am, in both strength and size. I've put on a bit of fat, sure, but in most places I think it actually makes me look better than I did before, it compliments my muscle, makes me look big in a shirt, and pretty good with 1 off too, better than seeing bones. 1 pound a week, or even slightly up, isn't going to turn you into a "lard ass" I wouldn't think, and if you're fine with a relatively small bit of fat, but some good muscle, good strength, good BW, all of that along the way, SS could be very good for ya.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 02-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you wanna put on 40 lbs , better gain that at least in 2-2.5 years if you dont wanna gain too much fat

Originally Posted by CJ93UK View Post
    Keep in mind SS is a strength program, that's its goal, if that doesn't correlate at all with your goals, consider if it's definitely what you wanna do. That's not to say you shouldn't run it, just that most people find running routines aimed at their goals gets them the better result, but it's a vague contrast.
    Yup, I'm just trying to get as big as possible all around in an aesthetic and practical way. Thanks again, you've been really helpful with your answer.