Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i have a shoulder problem. when i ohp it feels fine until a few days later and then it aches at the joint and toward where my delt ties into my back. i've literally had my girlfriend try and attack the spot with a hair brush or tool for acupressure. i dunno if this is what caused it, but i remember playing rugby and blocking a kick with my fully outstretched arm above my head, full palm on the ball, and my shoulder just lit up with pain.

since then i have trouble ohp, benching is no problem and i've hit tons of pr's. i have zero strength in the snatch position. can't snatch over 135 because my shoulder gives when it's rotated out. did i accidentally my labrum?

*on a separate occasion i injured my neck and it pinched the nerve that goes to my thumb and fingers. i went from 23 chins to zero chins in a day. only on one hand. i dropped a gallon of milk at the supermarket because i had no feeling in my fingers, but i could feel it in my shoulder too. like the sciatic nerve. dunno if this could be related.

annecdotally- for any dudes who have ever blown a disk, i blew l4-l5 and came back and pulled 555 (pr) two years later. all through just mckenzie stretches and anti-inflammatories and alcohol in the dark times.

roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so i strained my lower back in January, it feels pretty good however once and awhile while lifting (even going light) my back just goes out. it just tightens up and i lose all strength in it and then a few days later its back normal. what is the cause of this?
    Chicago Bulls Crew

Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Spinal Accessory Nerve (SAN) pinch - Traps and SCM dont contract- Need Advice! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1244113003

Hi,
    About 4 months ago I woke up with extreme pain in my traps, I cant raise my arm lateraly, winged scapula, and my traps/SCM dont fully contract.

A few months later the pain went away, but my right side of the neck and traps have completely atrophied (lost 2inch size on my neck 17.25inch down to 15.25). All MRI's came back clean, (Ofcourse if the nerve is not pinched in the spine it self then it would not show up in the MRI).

Dr 1: Diagnosed it as an Accessory Nerve Pinch, but we dont know where it is pinched and nothing he can do about it.

Dr 2: Says if it was an Accessory nerve it should have showed on MRI, then proceeds to diagnose it as muscle distrophy (waiting on bloodwork). We did an EMG and Needle test but DR.2 completely ignored testing the Accessory Nerve, and proceeded to test my rhomboids and shoulder muscles.

I'm at a complete loss at what to do, its been 4 months, and by the time I see DR.2 again it will be a total of 6months. I went from being active 7 days a week down to 3 (Legs all day everyday). And once again my progress must stall for this BS.

I would really appreciate help, any advice is welcome.
    375x2 Sumo DL
    285x4 Squats
    255x3 Bench
    90x6 db bench
    110x8 db rows

Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by magog704 View Post
    i have a shoulder problem. when i ohp it feels fine until a few days later and then it aches at the joint and toward where my delt ties into my back. i've literally had my girlfriend try and attack the spot with a hair brush or tool for acupressure. i dunno if this is what caused it, but i remember playing rugby and blocking a kick with my fully outstretched arm above my head, full palm on the ball, and my shoulder just lit up with pain.

since then i have trouble ohp, benching is no problem and i've hit tons of pr's. i have zero strength in the snatch position. can't snatch over 135 because my shoulder gives when it's rotated out. did i accidentally my labrum?

*on a separate occasion i injured my neck and it pinched the nerve that goes to my thumb and fingers. i went from 23 chins to zero chins in a day. only on one hand. i dropped a gallon of milk at the supermarket because i had no feeling in my fingers, but i could feel it in my shoulder too. like the sciatic nerve. dunno if this could be related.

annecdotally- for any dudes who have ever blown a disk, i blew l4-l5 and came back and pulled 555 (pr) two years later. all through just mckenzie stretches and anti-inflammatories and alcohol in the dark times.
    Hey magog,

Sorry for the delayed response - been working overtime in the clinic and building the WiseBones website.

In regards to the pinched nerve:

When did you pinch the nerve in your neck?
    Was it the same side as the shoulder? (what side)?
    Do you still have weakness in that arm?

Do any of these movements bring on either the neck or shoulder pain? - which ones? - http://www.thehealthybackblog.com/wp..._stretches.jpg

In regards to the shoulder:

Does it feel unstable?
    Has your shoulder ever dislocated or subluxed? (slightly popped out)
    Are there movements you avoid throughout the day? (e.g. reaching for things, or when turning over in bed?)
    Do you get any pins and needles or dead arm feeling in your arm?

Are you still playing rugby?

I would steer clear of overhead press for now - until we figure out what's causing the shoulder pain.
    Stay tuned for www.wisebones.com - Expert advice on managing your injuries - SUBSCRIBE NOW

Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Prophylaxis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by roc430 View Post
    so i strained my lower back in January, it feels pretty good however once and awhile while lifting (even going light) my back just goes out. it just tightens up and i lose all strength in it and then a few days later its back normal. what is the cause of this?
    hey roc,

Could be a few things - just need a bit more info to help me out:

Do you get any leg pain, or just lower back pain - is it on one side or across the lower back?

What did you do back in Jan to strain your back?

When it gets really sore/tight after you lift, what relieves the pain?

Which of these movements bring on the pain - http://www.spinesurgeon.com.au/Neuro.../movements.jpg
    Stay tuned for www.wisebones.com - Expert advice on managing your injuries - SUBSCRIBE NOW

kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - My neck, at the point where my head moves
    Mechanism of injury: When i sleep on my right side i feel like my neck gives and my neck cracks (if that makes any sense. I also cant stop cracking my neck. Last night in training i got pulled quickly and kinda rolled over my neck and head it crack three time. its sore now but same soreness as before
    Aggravating factors: When i move my head usually or when i crack my neck by tilting my head side to side
    Easing factors: Not moving my head or deep heat usually
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Purple Belt
    *Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night...all day*

Private Equity Degen VBogdanovic's Avatar
    VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) VBogdanovic is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How does prophylaxis only have 223 reps... man has helped a lot of the misc and poured his time into everyone that needs help ITT.

REP'd

Originally Posted by kebab69 View Post
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - My neck, at the point where my head moves
    Mechanism of injury: When i sleep on my right side i feel like my neck gives and my neck cracks (if that makes any sense. I also cant stop cracking my neck. Last night in training i got pulled quickly and kinda rolled over my neck and head it crack three time. its sore now but same soreness as before
    Aggravating factors: When i move my head usually or when i crack my neck by tilting my head side to side
    Easing factors: Not moving my head or deep heat usually
    Hey kebab,

Where predominantly is the neck pain? Around the traps, or higher up on the neck? - Is the right side more affected than the left?

Which one of these movements either brings on your pain, OR is stiffer to a certain side?

Looking at a mirror relaxed, is one shoulder more dropped than the other (if so, which one?)

Do you have any arm pain or tingling/numbness down either arm?

Do any other activites e.g. sitting down for longer periods, bring on the pain?

kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000) kebab69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Prophylaxis View Post
    Hey kebab,

Where predominantly is the neck pain? Around the traps, or higher up on the neck? - Is the right side more affected than the left?

Which one of these movements either brings on your pain, OR is stiffer to a certain side?

Looking at a mirror relaxed, is one shoulder more dropped than the other (if so, which one?)

Do you have any arm pain or tingling/numbness down either arm?

Do any other activites e.g. sitting down for longer periods, bring on the pain?
    sitting down for long periods brings on the pain, usually when iam walking its alright
    Hi Pro,

Around the traps...its like right in the middle

all of them bring pain...the bottom two are how i usually crack my neck

shoulders are fine

no tingling or arm pain or numbness
    Last edited by kebab69; 05-14-2014 at 03:20 AM.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Purple Belt
    *Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night...all day*

bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP,

Lately I've been having pain on my left hip joint.. It feels like a hip impingement. I have a dull pain on my left hip the whole day and I can feel the pain when I internally rotate. I've always had this pain, and usually it happens when I do things like seated rear delt flies or sometimes decline crunches, movements where I have to bring the body/torso forward nomsayin, but it's never bothered me and never really stopped me from doing those exercises, however now the pain has become somewhat constant and it's definitely uncomfortable.

The reason for this that I think might be because I've started squatting two times a week, been adding more weight and I've recently started doing good mornings as well .... I take a pretty wide stance on my squats, toes pointed out (bad mobility) my entire lower body is full of tight muscles lol .. hams, calves, ankles. Anyway, I've started doing Kelly Starrets hip mobility stretches since yesterday and I've felt instant relief, but only for a few minutes ... But do you think I should take some rest off back squats and maybe things like bent over rows, deadlifts? or can I keep squatting and doing those other exercises?

I dont want to stop rows/deadlifts or even squats tbh ... I'll be fine with front squats as a compromise .... Wat do brah?
    Last edited by bongowongo; 05-14-2014 at 03:43 AM.
    Sig line can't be a novel

magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magog704 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey magog,

Sorry for the delayed response - been working overtime in the clinic and building the WiseBones website.

In regards to the pinched nerve:

When did you pinch the nerve in your neck?
    Was it the same side as the shoulder? (what side)?
    Do you still have weakness in that arm?

Do any of these movements bring on either the neck or shoulder pain? - which ones? - http://www.thehealthybackblog.com/wp..._stretches.jpg
    I pinched @ approximate c5 maybe 2 years ago doing direct neck work- neck curls with a harness with maybe 25lbs. It was something I had been doing for a month and I just over did it one day. Like I said, I went from doing 23 chins to none over night. I worked back up to 20 or so but I got fatter, so I figure 100%. That took about 6 months. I saw a phys therapist and they did traction and it didn't do anything. So it just felt like a stiff neck at first, and then that night I was totally fukked. Flexuril did fuk all, phys therapy did fuk all. I mad my own acupressure device out of PVC (see picture at bottom). Whenever it would get super stiff I would come home and drink 2 4 lokos. 4 lokos are the only thing that helped (dead srs).

Strength wise I'm 100% now, but I can still feel it the same way I can feel my blown l4 l5. Like I think I can actually feel the scar tissue. This is during both rotation and lateral flexion AWAY from my right side. This is in my neck only, no shoulder pain or tingling fingers.

In regards to the shoulder:

Does it feel unstable?
    Has your shoulder ever dislocated or subluxed? (slightly popped out)
    Are there movements you avoid throughout the day? (e.g. reaching for things, or when turning over in bed?)
    Do you get any pins and needles or dead arm feeling in your arm?

Are you still playing rugby?

I would steer clear of overhead press for now - until we figure out what's causing the shoulder pain.
    It does feel super unstable in the snatch position. My OHP is plenty strong and I've hit pr's since, but afterward it feels super inflamed, so I already avoid it. DB shoulder press doesn't seem to hurt it. I think I have a SLAP tear, but it's moot since I'm not gonna go pay a grand for an MRI. I'll just live with it and rehab as best I can. With the c5 nerve I've just been completely lazy and not stretching it. I came back from my blown disk 100% just doing Mckenzie stretches.

thing i made for my neck

i wanted one of those theri-cane things, but they were expensive. i already had the pvc so this thing was free. shiit worked incredible.

i still play rugby but want to quit. maybe one more season idk.
    Last edited by magog704; 05-14-2014 at 06:27 AM.

roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000) roc430 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hey roc,

Could be a few things - just need a bit more info to help me out:

Do you get any leg pain, or just lower back pain - is it on one side or across the lower back?
    no leg pain. pain is only in my lower back/upper glute area. some days i feel it on only one side, other times it feels like the whole lower back

What did you do back in Jan to strain your back?
    squatting and back rounded causing lower back strain. had physical therapy which helped. but the pain comes and goes ever since

When it gets really sore/tight after you lift, what relieves the pain?
    advil/heat
    its weird. my back just will go "out." i wont be able to bend forward. its almost like my lower back stops functioning. this lasts about a day and then the next day its just sore. the third day its usually alright
    sometimes it happens during my workouts and other times it hits me when i get back home

Which of these movements bring on the pain - http://www.spinesurgeon.com.au/Neuro.../movements.jpg
    flexion/extension
    see above
    Chicago Bulls Crew

Originally Posted by kebab69 View Post
    Hi Pro,

Around the traps...its like right in the middle

all of them bring pain...the bottom two are how i usually crack my neck

shoulders are fine

no tingling or arm pain or numbness
    Out of those neck movements, do any hurt particularly moreso than others?

What I want you to do - perform one of those painful movements -

Then I want you to repeat this movement neck retraction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQes2ijwcKY) 15 times ,-skip to 1min 10secs -

Now perform the painful movement again - is the painful movement better/same/worse following those retractions?

Originally Posted by bongowongo View Post
    OP,

Lately I've been having pain on my left hip joint.. It feels like a hip impingement. I have a dull pain on my left hip the whole day and I can feel the pain when I internally rotate. I've always had this pain, and usually it happens when I do things like seated rear delt flies or sometimes decline crunches, movements where I have to bring the body/torso forward nomsayin, but it's never bothered me and never really stopped me from doing those exercises, however now the pain has become somewhat constant and it's definitely uncomfortable.

The reason for this that I think might be because I've started squatting two times a week, been adding more weight and I've recently started doing good mornings as well .... I take a pretty wide stance on my squats, toes pointed out (bad mobility) my entire lower body is full of tight muscles lol .. hams, calves, ankles. Anyway, I've started doing Kelly Starrets hip mobility stretches since yesterday and I've felt instant relief, but only for a few minutes ... But do you think I should take some rest off back squats and maybe things like bent over rows, deadlifts? or can I keep squatting and doing those other exercises?

I dont want to stop rows/deadlifts or even squats tbh ... I'll be fine with front squats as a compromise .... Wat do brah?
    Hey bongo,

It's important to know what is exactly causing your pain before I can suggest what exercises you should and shouldn't do. Often pain can be easily referred from the back into the 'hip joint' area, especially if you've recently introduced good mornings and squats.

Are you able to draw for me exactly where your pain is on this diagram? (Any slight changes in the location of pain can be completely different structures involved)

Is there any pain down the left leg, (or any back pain for that matter)?

Do any of these movements bring on the hip pain? (If so, which ones?)

Do you get any pain sitting in low chairs? Or any pain sitting down throughout the day?

If you perform this glute stretch, and bring your knee across your body, does this bring on the left hip pain?

Originally Posted by magog704 View Post
    I pinched @ approximate c5 maybe 2 years ago doing direct neck work- neck curls with a harness with maybe 25lbs. It was something I had been doing for a month and I just over did it one day. Like I said, I went from doing 23 chins to none over night. I worked back up to 20 or so but I got fatter, so I figure 100%. That took about 6 months. I saw a phys therapist and they did traction and it didn't do anything. So it just felt like a stiff neck at first, and then that night I was totally fukked. Flexuril did fuk all, phys therapy did fuk all. I mad my own acupressure device out of PVC (see picture at bottom). Whenever it would get super stiff I would come home and drink 2 4 lokos. 4 lokos are the only thing that helped (dead srs).

Strength wise I'm 100% now, but I can still feel it the same way I can feel my blown l4 l5. Like I think I can actually feel the scar tissue. This is during both rotation and lateral flexion AWAY from my right side. This is in my neck only, no shoulder pain or tingling fingers.

It does feel super unstable in the snatch position. My OHP is plenty strong and I've hit pr's since, but afterward it feels super inflamed, so I already avoid it. DB shoulder press doesn't seem to hurt it. I think I have a SLAP tear, but it's moot since I'm not gonna go pay a grand for an MRI. I'll just live with it and rehab as best I can. With the c5 nerve I've just been completely lazy and not stretching it. I came back from my blown disk 100% just doing Mckenzie stretches.

i still play rugby but want to quit. maybe one more season idk.
    Certainly there's a good chance that both the neck and shoulder are contributing to your symptoms on your right arm.

Since you play Rugby and the incidents which bring on the shoulder pain - outreached and blocking a ball and in snatch position - certainly sounds like there is some shoulder instability that is causing the weakness and pain deep in the shoulder. Just FYI most rugby boys have labral tears - they don't always need surgery, but it's imperative you compensate with the lack of STATIC stability (cartilage and ligaments) by enhancing the DYNAMIC stability (rotator cuff).

I would advise getting your shoulder strapped before rugby - here's the type of taping I do for shoulder instability:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm3i...u6JaB&index=13

Integrate the following exercises in with your workout: (I'd lay off OHP and snatch position until you improve dynamic stability)

1) - Keep it light to start with ~2kg and perform 15 reps X 4 or until fatigue - remember you don't need to externally rotate TOO far - this is a strengthening exercise, not a range of motion exercise

2) Pec/lat co-contract stabilisation exercise - you want to have your arm by the side - rested on a surface at 45 deg abduction - then holding it there you want to co-contract PEC AND LAT (tense up) and hold it for 10 secs. Get lat firing by pretending to pull your arm into your body. This pulls the humeral head deeper into the socket. Perform 10 reps a do a twice daily. Once you master this co-contraction- you can progress by doing gentle external and internal rotation and you hold pec and lat.

(This is the position of your shoulder while you do this exercise - obviously substitute the brace for the arm resting on a table)

http://www.bledsoebrace.com/wp-conte...-abduction.jpg

3) - love this one - recruits the rotator cuff without activating delts (over-recruiting the delts now will cause your shoulder to become more unstable).

If the Mckenzie exercises are helping for the neck, definitely continue with them - but as the C5 nerve has been pinched there may be some underlying strength deficits pre-existing in that right arm.

Let me know how you go man!

Originally Posted by roc430 View Post
    see above
    Thanks for that roc,

Did flexion (bending forward) or extension (bending back) hurt more? (Go as far as you can)

What stretches or exercises did the PT give you that resolved the pain? Do these stretches still help?

Do you get any pain after sitting down for long periods?

What are you currently doing for legs/back? -

Originally Posted by Torance View Post
    Spinal Accessory Nerve (SAN) pinch - Traps and SCM dont contract- Need Advice! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1244113003

Hi,
    About 4 months ago I woke up with extreme pain in my traps, I cant raise my arm lateraly, winged scapula, and my traps/SCM dont fully contract.

A few months later the pain went away, but my right side of the neck and traps have completely atrophied (lost 2inch size on my neck 17.25inch down to 15.25). All MRI's came back clean, (Ofcourse if the nerve is not pinched in the spine it self then it would not show up in the MRI).

Dr 1: Diagnosed it as an Accessory Nerve Pinch, but we dont know where it is pinched and nothing he can do about it.

Dr 2: Says if it was an Accessory nerve it should have showed on MRI, then proceeds to diagnose it as muscle distrophy (waiting on bloodwork). We did an EMG and Needle test but DR.2 completely ignored testing the Accessory Nerve, and proceeded to test my rhomboids and shoulder muscles.

I'm at a complete loss at what to do, its been 4 months, and by the time I see DR.2 again it will be a total of 6months. I went from being active 7 days a week down to 3 (Legs all day everyday). And once again my progress must stall for this BS.

I would really appreciate help, any advice is welcome.
    Hey Torance,

Wow, that's rough- especially to have had it happen suddenly without much reason or explanation. I'll try to give you some direction but it sounds like you need to be under the care of a Neurologist to get a proper interpretation of this presentation and guidance on your options for treatment. A Neurologist is the best type of doctor to deal with this problem (I think better than Neurosugeon in this case), I'm not sure what kind of doctor you've already been to.

Also what part of your body did you have the MRI? The Accessory nerve supplies Sternoceidomastoid and traps. So, you would have difficulty rotating your head to the left against resistance, shrugging your right shoulder.

From what you've said, especially the scapular winging, and difficulty lifting your arm up laterally- it could fit with another peripheral
    nerve such as the Axillary nerve or the Suprascapular nerve. While I agree with the doc #1 that it sounds most like the Accessory nerve, it does not explain all your symptoms- like the winging and difficulty lifting the arm laterally.

I also agree with Doc #2 that you should be getting further testing because it's weird for these symptoms to come on suddenly for no reason, and it would be wise to check you out for other conditions.

If the bloodwork and other tests come back normal and you are left with a diagnosis of a nerve palsy, there is not much they can do for this surgically, so the treatment is strengthening and physical therapy to correct the scapular patterning, posture and muscle imbalances. If it does not cause pain, I would advise going back to the gym to start building up your right shoulder, neck and scapula again. Even if you don't get all your muscle strength back, there are other muscles in the area that can compensate and assist with the specific movements you're having trouble with. I think you should use the 2 month appointment with doc #2 as a timeframe to try to gradually build yourself up at the gym, starting with very low resistance shoulder exercises and concentrating on form and posture. If you manage to improve some of your function by the time you see the doc, it will help them gauge your potential for recovery and it will also help you improve and get back to the gym.

I would specifically recommend seated rows, bent over rows, cable work, lat pull downs, forward shoulder raises, shrugs, shoulder external rotation, and isometric neck strengthening- all in good posture and at a very low load to start so that you can give the very weak muscles a chance to catch up.

Good luck, I've been thinking about your case a lot and I'd really like to hear how things go for you. Keep me posted.

Prophylaxis
    Last edited by Prophylaxis; 05-15-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Prankzter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    in to read later
    ☆GTS CREW☆

(over-recruiting the delts now will cause your shoulder to become more unstable).

Let me know how you go man!
    i have noticed it being kind of inflamed and unstable after delt work.

this is the most helpful thing thats ever happened to me.

bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bongowongo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hey bongo,

It's important to know what is exactly causing your pain before I can suggest what exercises you should and shouldn't do. Often pain can be easily referred from the back into the 'hip joint' area, especially if you've recently introduced good mornings and squats.

Are you able to draw for me exactly where your pain is on this diagram? (Any slight changes in the location of pain can be completely different structures involved)

Is there any pain down the left leg, (or any back pain for that matter)?

Do any of these movements bring on the hip pain? (If so, which ones?)

Do you get any pain sitting in low chairs? Or any pain sitting down throughout the day?

If you perform this glute stretch, and bring your knee across your body, does this bring on the left hip pain?

Thanks for the reply Pro,

I marked the area on the diagram where I get pain, the hip joint. the upper glute nerve (sciatic nerve?)

and I sometimes get pain down the ham and upper glute nerve when I do good mornings and snatch grip deadlifts (regular deadlifts seem fine as far as I can tell... maybe a little bit of pain, but nothing i cant work through). And yes I do get back pain, most often not in the gym, but usually when I do random household stuff like ironing, washing the dishes and sometimes putting the covers on my bed lol.

As for the second set of pics, I wasnt sure how to do the movement, so I followed it exactly like the pics and turned my feet outwards to do the bends and rotations

Just a slight pain down my left lower back and lower left butt cheek/ham when I do a bent over flexion.

Feet straight:
    No pain for bends or rotations

feet pointed out
    Little pain for bends and definite pain for rotations

Hm havnt sat in any low chairs lol, but I do get pain when sitting down on chairs, hip and that glute nerve, it comes and goes, sometimes nothing, sometimes a dull ache throughout the whole day.

Yep, I get pain when I do that lying down glute stretch.

Hope I explained everything properly.
    Last edited by bongowongo; 05-17-2014 at 09:57 AM.
    Sig line can't be a novel

Originally Posted by bongowongo View Post
    Thanks for the reply Pro,

I marked the area on the diagram where I get pain, the hip joint. the upper glute nerve (sciatic nerve?)

and I sometimes get pain down the ham and upper glute nerve when I do good mornings and snatch grip deadlifts (regular deadlifts seem fine as far as I can tell... maybe a little bit of pain, but nothing i cant work through). And yes I do get back pain, most often not in the gym, but usually when I do random household stuff like ironing, washing the dishes and sometimes putting the covers on my bed lol.

As for the second set of pics, I wasnt sure how to do the movement, so I followed it exactly like the pics and turned my feet outwards to do the bends and rotations

Just a slight pain down my left lower back and lower left butt cheek/ham when I do a bent over flexion.

Feet straight:
    No pain for bends or rotations

feet pointed out
    Little pain for bends and definite pain for rotations

Hm havnt sat in any low chairs lol, but I do get pain when sitting down on chairs, hip and that glute nerve, it comes and goes, sometimes nothing, sometimes a dull ache throughout the whole day.

Yep, I get pain when I do that lying down glute stretch.

Hope I explained everything properly.
    Thanks bongo,

Certainly sounds like there is a back component driving some of the pain you are experiencing.

I just want to do a few tests to confirm.

Can I get you to bend forward again (when you get that left glute/ham pain) . NOW can you put your left foot up on a step (e.g. below) and bend forward keeping the foot up on the step.

Does this reduce the left leg pain on flexion, or can you still feel it?

If you can still feel the pain, can I get you to perform 20 repeated lumbar extensions - http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-eaaN7FSTj7...0/DSC04570.JPG

As you are performing these, does it reduce the leg/hamy pain?

After finishing the extensions, if you repeat bending forward/flexion - has this reduced the pain?

Lemme know how you go!

nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000) nicholaslin739 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi, I was hoping that you could give me your opinion on this problem that I have. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - try to be as specific as possible
    Right Elbow, on forearm side.

Mechanism of injury: Did the pain occur during ONE particular event? Or can you think of nothing that brought it on?
    Probably because I the way I load up 45s plate.
    I will use my right hand to "clean" it up like an upright row motion.
    My left hand catches the weight at the top and then I slide the weight into the bar.
    Right hand pronated, left hand supinated.

Aggravating factors: What makes the pain worse?
    Rows.
    Bench press and Overhead press, when going up fast.
    Left Pectoral Muscle, Near shoulder or insertion

Mechanism of injury: Did the pain occur during ONE particular event? Or can you think of nothing that brought it on?
    It feels very tight. Not that painful though.

Activating the muscle

Right rotor cuff near the front

Arm wrestled while proning on the ground, shoulder kinda popped

Bench press, sometimes my shoulder just gave way (not popped, feels weak) at the bottom and I will fail that lift.
    Ways I prevent that from happening was really focusing on activating my lats and squeezing my shoulder blades.

MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNinjaMan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - lower back. Hamstring. Groin. Hip. Knees

Mechanism of injury: heavy squats and deadlines

Aggravating factors: any heavy lifting that involves leg and lower back

Easing factors: What relieves the pain? Warmth. Stretching.

I want to get x rays a while ago and I was told I had a pelvic tilt. The tilt was causing me to have severe low back spasms.I got a few adjustments done and I wasn't experiencing anymore spasms. This was about 3 months ago.

Fast forward to today and I get pain in the lower back and hip area that sometimes extends to my groin and hamstrings. This happens especially when I do leg and back exercises.

I understand that a problem in the hip region would also cause me to have pain in my knees so I'm not to concerned with that. It there any exercise/s that would be beneficial. I honestly don't know what wrong now.

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Pro, what can i do about this problem with my upper back

Increasing volume I begin having this burning/aching feeling on the right side of my upper back where the traps/rhomboids overlay and I cant seem to get rid of it. Tried foam rolling and also using a lacrosse ball and that helps but it eventually comes back.

Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - Upper back where the traps/rhomboids overlay

Working out the back

Increasing volume

jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaries12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cool thread. I'm studying Myotherapy atm. I'm constantly doing remedial work on myself and my friends and family, acupuncture included.

Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10) Overmorrow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Body Chart: Right wrist.
    Mechanism of injury: It seems chronic, but not painful in the sense, just brought on over time.
    Aggravating factors: Stretching my hand during mundane, regular movements.
    Easing factors: Avoiding strenuous movements and pressure.

Wrist has been bothering me for quite some time now, so I know it isn't simply sprained. It's been this way for about a month or two.
    Considered Carpal Tunnel, due to my frequent misc lurking.

Really cool thread you got going on here, OP.
    Very generous of yourself to lend your knowledge to the misc.
    Would appreciate all and any help you could give me.

balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250) balkp has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Body Chart: Right elbow pain upon doing skullcrushers.

Mechanism of injury: About 2 years ago I was hitting tris and I don't know what happened but I was not able to fully extend my arm to 180% after doing a set of skull crushers or some other tricep exercise. I didn't think much of it and looking back at it now it seems like maybe a nerve or something got displaced. There wasn't any pain, just I couldnt extend it fully, only to about 150 degrees instead of 180. Decided to sleep it off and woke up with it just like that. Not sure what happened but I guess after a day or two my arm was fine and fully extendable. Don't think it had anything to do with the bone, I didnt feel any pain really. I was too scared to try pushing my arm to a full extension during the 1-2 days it wouldnt straighten out so I just decided to wait it out for a day or 2 before going to the doc.

Aggravating factors: Skull crushers. Feel a pain in the right elbow, I have to use cables and indirect tricep exercises now. Outside of that nothing really aggravates it in my day-to-day life.

Easing factors: Hold me misc I miss my gains.

Thanks brah appreciate it. It's been on my mind for so long, def should go get it checked out.
    ***NJ CREW 732***
    **Brb Acquiring Lean Tissue**
    **RU '12 Brah**

200+

Originally Posted by nicholaslin739 View Post
    Hi, I was hoping that you could give me your opinion on this problem that I have. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Sup Nic,

Let's tackle one problem at a time - starting with the elbow pain.

Can I get you shade exactly where the pain is on the body chart below? (Might as well do this for the all of the aches and pain you get)

Do you get pain when you completely bend and straighten your elbow?

You mentioned that you also get right shoulder pain - is the elbow pain worse when the rotator cuff pain comes on?

Do you get any neck pain or pain radiating down the arm?

Any previous injuries?

When you change the way you load the plates, is the elbow pain better?

Originally Posted by MrNinjaMan View Post
    Body Chart: (Where exactly does it hurt?) - lower back. Hamstring. Groin. Hip. Knees

Mechanism of injury: heavy squats and deadlines

Aggravating factors: any heavy lifting that involves leg and lower back

Easing factors: What relieves the pain? Warmth. Stretching.

I want to get x rays a while ago and I was told I had a pelvic tilt. The tilt was causing me to have severe low back spasms.I got a few adjustments done and I wasn't experiencing anymore spasms. This was about 3 months ago.

Fast forward to today and I get pain in the lower back and hip area that sometimes extends to my groin and hamstrings. This happens especially when I do leg and back exercises.

I understand that a problem in the hip region would also cause me to have pain in my knees so I'm not to concerned with that. It there any exercise/s that would be beneficial. I honestly don't know what wrong now.
    Hey ninja,

First thing to note, is that pelvic tilt is completely normal, especially when doing squats and deadlifts - it only becomes an issue when that tilt is not well-controlled or excessive. For example, from a biomechanical view a slight posterior pelvic tilt at the end-range of a squat is a normal anatomical occurance.

I need a bit more info to help me understand what's going on:

Is the pain down both legs or just one? (which side?)

Do any stretches give you particular relief when the pain comes on? (which ones?)

Do you experience pain just sitting, or only when lifting?

Which of these movements bring on either the leg pain or back pain? - http://www.spinesurgeon.com.au/Neuro.../movements.jpg

Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wakaaa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Body Chart: knee area, I have patella tendonosis and chondral thinning of patella in my left knee which is the one that gets uncomfortable and makes me feel like I'm doing more and more damage, day by day. My right knee was said to be in a worse condition, patella tendinosis, chondral thinning, and partial tear of meniscus. Doc said no surgery required but a month of PT, 3 times a week for 4 weeks.
    Mechanism of injury: Playing basketball, I became much more active recently when I got the leanest, I played basketball nearly everyday last summer and I noticed when I drive in, I tend to put pressure on my left foot and just recently when I played again, I began feeling the uncomforted feeling after driving in everytime.
    Aggravating factors: Standing for long periods of time and putting pressure on it.
    Easing factors: What relieves the pain? Relaxing and sitting down
    “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” - Benjamin Franklin

Proud first generation American of Syrian descent

Forever cutting crew