Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Dog owners & experts GFTIH ! (need advice)

So i've always wanted to get a dog but never got one because a) family said no and b) i wasn't capable to raise him myself. now that i'm older and can afford a dog, i really want to get a REAL DOGBRO. and by dogbro i mean dogBRO

brb always there for him
    brb he's my best bud
    brb educate him with firm but loving hand
    brb share everything with him
    brb love him unconditionally
    brb he's excited to see me and he's the only thing i think of when coming home

now my question is: what are the most loyal and "bro"-like dog breeds? I'd prefer to get a mid-big guy like a rottweiler but would settle for a medium breed if it is optimal for my requirements. i have enough time to go out with my buddy twice a day, enough green space around, and even have a little garden in which I could let him roam and sniff around if there are emergencies where I can't go out with him.
    Wake up hung over and find cellphone in fridge crew
    Mythical Skittles crew

PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PalpaMango has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    pls misc
    Mythical Skittles crew

Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yellow lab for life
    You don't need a reason to help people.
    RIP Zyzz & Greg Plitt, my two biggest inspirations.

Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000) Ready4War is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Josh81 View Post
    yellow lab for life
    Only problem with labs is they can be hard work as they are "working dogs", they need a lot of stimulation or they will chew your house to pieces especially the first couple of years
    Trap God

Originally Posted by Ready4War View Post
    Only problem with labs is they can be hard work as they are "working dogs", they need a lot of stimulation or they will chew your house to pieces especially the first couple of years

The other problem is that I don't really like their color ... would love a full white, full black or brown mixed dog, but not this golden fabulous ******* dog, srs

are rottweiler very hard to raise correctly? i want to be firm, and I have the willpower and strength to outsmart (LOL) a dog. do you think I can make it? (i'll visit dog schools and make a lot of trips and do **** with him)
    Mythical Skittles crew

TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Border collie > all

Originally Posted by TedyP View Post
    Border collie > all

people say border collies are basically the worst dogs for unexperienced first time dog owners

please read the thread
    Mythical Skittles crew

MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheBiceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Newfoundland and a St. Bernard, bro there awesome.

Edit: there rescue dogs and are insanly strong and kind, there like friendly giants.
    But any dog is unique

If you want a dog who...

•Is heavy and powerful, with a thick furry coat
    •Is steady-tempered with everyone
    •Loves pulling carts and sleds and romping in cold weather
    •Is responsive to training in a slow, good-natured way
    A Newfoundland or St. bernad may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with...

•A very bulky dog who takes up a lot of space in your house and car
    •A heavy dog who wants to sit on your feet, lie on your lap, and lean his weight against your leg
    •Rowdiness and exuberant jumping when young
    •"Separation anxiety" and destructiveness when left alone too much
    •Fearfulness in some lines, or when not socialized enough
    •Some stubbornness and/or dominance problems, especially in males
    •Heavy shedding
    •Slobbering and drooling
    A Newfoundland or St. bernad may not be right for you.
    Last edited by MikeTheBiceps; 01-20-2014 at 03:21 AM.

Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Josh81 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what about a german shepard?

oh and a dog's personality/temperament isn't written in stone for each breed

what about a german shepard?

oh and a dog's personality/temperament isn't written in stone for each breed
    I'd also love a german shepherd but i've also read that they're hard to raise and it shouldn't be your first dog...

I mean I know how to handle animals, I have had a cat and I know how to handle beings in general, but I won't have more than 2-3 hours a day to invest in the dog. sure, when I have a free day i'll go to dog school with the bud and stuff, but the daily time i can give fully to my dog would be no more than 3 hours
    Mythical Skittles crew

TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TedyP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PalpaMango View Post
    people say border collies are basically the worst dogs for unexperienced first time dog owners

please read the thread
    "People say"

I can honestly say you'll have a much easier time taking care of a border collie than most other breeds,

Unless you're looking to get a little rat dog thing

SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SeymourCake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get a pitbull.

Originally Posted by TedyP View Post
    "People say"

I can honestly say you'll have a much easier time taking care of a border collie than most other breeds,

Unless you're looking to get a little rat dog thing
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7051331AASwUe8

No, No and NO. Border collies make amazing dogs for EXPERIENCED dog owners that know and understand how to give dogs the right amount of both mental and physical stimulation. I love border collies, But if they do not have a job (Herding, Frisbee, Flyball) Then they will become destructive and very unruly.

Border collies have amazing stamina (Mine helps us on 3+ hour cow drives and still is ready for more.) But with no place to concentrate it all, they find other fun things to do. For example, rip up your carpet, chew your favorite pair of shoes or figure out how to chew your door apart.

Please, For the sake of the breed do not get a border collie. Many people get them because they are smart but they do not understand the needs of this breed. Irresponsible people have filled many shelters with this beautiful breed because of their requirements.
    Source(s):
    Experienced owner of the BC

Not sure if I can handle a BC, honestly. And no I don't want one of those rat things, like I said i'd primarily like to know if a Rottweiler is a good first-timer dogbro?
    Mythical Skittles crew

jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jazi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    its not some horrifyingly scary responsibility like parents make it out to be

just gotta be honest with yourself.

Will you hang out with the dog? take it out for walks? feed it? What about when he's not a puppy anymore and gets a little annoying sometimes? What if you're playing an intense game of dota and it's time to put the dog inside cause the coyotes come out after dark? You gotta man up, pause the game or go afk and put your best friend inside man. You feel me?

im no dog expert but if u get a smallish dog (30 lbs or less) you can just pin it down so it can't move if it acts bad and you win and get your message across every time without hurting it.

here's my dog giving me a das it mane face (think he's been watching me misc)
    ***No Breathe Crew (test levels through the roof)***

***No Eat Crew***

***0 test crew (up from negative)***

Well then, I'd say no matter what dog breed you choose it will be your bro IF you put the time into it.

breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Boxers. Absolute clowns, but loyal and protective as fukk when need be. I've worked with quite a lot of breeders who deem them the best at being able to switch from 'There's a threat, better protect!' to 'no threat, time to go happy mode.'

My current one, whenever he hears a strange noise outside, will come in and sniff under the door of each person in the house's room (I imagine it like the guys sniffing hard for poosy threads that pop up on the misc) to make sure they're in there and accounted for.

When my alarm goes off in the morning, I'll open my door and every single day he's sitting there to attention.

When I'm sick, he'll lay on the couch with me all day. When I'm vomiting (I have a morning vomiting condition), he'll come and rest his chin on my shoulder every time. Took a photo of it once, look at the concern on his face:

Is that bro enough for you?

I also have an English Mastiff - he's a loveable, gentle giant and goofball, but doesn't have as much bro about him as my Boxer.

@MikeTheBiceps I'm out of reps. only measlies anyways. thanks for your post, but a close friend of mine has 2 st bernards actually. I like them very much, but i don't like their aesthetics very much, except for the fluffyness. i think i'll get a rott

FUARK
    I can't wait anymore i want my fukcing dogbro. aight guys i guess i'm going to get a rottweiler pup then, but gotta wait till phucking AUGUST because i have to fulfill my obligatory military service, phuk dis chit
    Mythical Skittles crew

Glutes tighter than ur gf AngelKing1992's Avatar
    AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AngelKing1992 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My top alpha dog list would be:
    1. Pitbull(Any kind, although, preferably the American pitbull terrier. The smaller, more athletic and agile ones, not the fat ugly ones)
    2. Rottweiler
    3. Dogo Argentino
    4. Cane Corso
    5. Bullmastiff
    6. Doberman(heard they're tricky to own)
    7. German Shepherd (VERY INTELLIGENT, although they're extremely hyper and bite strangers often)
    8. Husky/Alaskan Malamute
    9. Boxer
    10. Jindo
    11. Presa Canario
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) WJL83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Boxer

Originally Posted by breeno92 View Post
    Boxers. Absolute clowns, but loyal and protective as fukk when need be. I've worked with quite a lot of breeders who deem them the best at being able to switch from 'There's a threat, better protect!' to 'no threat, time to go happy mode.'

My current one, whenever he hears a strange noise outside, will come in and sniff under the door of each person in the house's room (I imagine it like the guys sniffing hard for poosy threads that pop up on the misc) to make sure they're in there and accounted for.

When my alarm goes off in the morning, I'll open my door and every single day he's sitting there to attention.

When I'm sick, he'll lay on the couch with me all day. When I'm vomiting (I have a morning vomiting condition), he'll come and rest his chin on my shoulder every time. Took a photo of it once, look at the concern on his face:

Is that bro enough for you?

I also have an English Mastiff - he's a loveable, gentle giant and goofball, but doesn't have as much bro about him as my Boxer.

goddamnit bro, your bro looks like a real bro, bro. not very aesthetic though IMHO...
    have you ever had any experience with rottweilers?
    Mythical Skittles crew

breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) breeno92 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by AngelKing1992 View Post
    1. Pitbull(Any kind, although, preferably the American pitbull terrier. The smaller, more athletic and agile ones, not the fat ugly ones)
    2. Rottweiler
    3. Dogo Argentino
    4. Cane Corso
    5. Bullmastiff
    7. German Shepherd (VERY INTELLIGENT, although they're extremely hyper and bite strangers often)
    9. Boxer
    10. Jindo
    11. Presa Canario
    Judging by your taste:

Google 'Caucasian Ovcharka'

2. Rottweiler
    3. Dogo Argentino
    4. Cane Corso
    5. Bullmastiff
    9. Boxer
    10. Jindo
    11. Presa Canario

american pitbull terrier are forbidden in my state because some ******* didn't know how to keep them properly and they bit some kid to death in 2005, phuking ****. would've loved this dog
    will be a rott i guess...

@breeno92: yo bro, refrain a little bit. it's my first dog and i'd like to keep it dog, not killing-machine-bear-dog lol
    Mythical Skittles crew

goddamnit bro, your bro looks like a real bro, bro. not very aesthetic though IMHO...
    have you ever had any experience with rottweilers?
    Uncles have had a few and they've said they're a bit iffy with children.

EDIT:

More pics for aesthetics assessments:

He turned into a fat **** once neutered though.
    Last edited by breeno92; 01-20-2014 at 03:38 AM.

SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SUPER_MANLET has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

from the movie as good as it gets
    Beast

Uncles have had a few and they've said they're a bit iffy with children.

ahh if that's the only concern then it's cool, i don't plan in having some little *******s for the next 10 years so phuck it

besides, he's going to be only MINE and i will try to bond as much as possible with him. a dogbro wouldn't hurt his humanbro's kid, would he?
    Mythical Skittles crew

Registered angus-groomer leoschick's Avatar
    leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leoschick is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Judging by your taste:

Google 'Caucasian Ovcharka'

wouldnt get any kind of these malamute/husky or this big working dogs when op says he can go out with them twice a day lol. Have to walk my lab atleast 4 times a day and one of them is long walk +1h. And still he got lot energy and want to play.

So wouldnt even consider choosing those big working breeds if you care for your m8 and dont want to be cruel.

If I could have choosen my dog breed I would have bought an German shepherd.

Edit: consider you will be tied/unflexible for atleast 10years.
    Last edited by leoschick; 01-20-2014 at 03:39 AM.
    Will never be able to train chest/shoulders again crew*
    Hairy af crew*
    Waxed whole body, not so hairy anymore crew*
    No FB crew*
    Ghost poster crew*

2. Rottweiler
    3. Dogo Argentino
    4. Cane Corso
    5. Bullmastiff
    9. Boxer
    10. Jindo
    11. Presa Canario
    my bro's dog

****in 200 lbs or something

my bro's dog

****in 200 lbs or something

fuking beauty
    is that a pitbull/lab mix?
    Mythical Skittles crew

fuking beauty
    is that a pitbull/lab mix?
    bull mastiff

edit : actually he looks identical to an english mastiff, brother said bull but don't think so

Originally Posted by leoschick View Post
    wouldnt get any kind of these malamute/husky or this big working dogs when op says he can go out with them twice a day lol. Have to walk my lab atleast 4 times a day and one of them is long walk +1h. And still he got lot energy and want to play.

So wouldnt even consider choosing those big working breeds if you care for your m8 and dont want to be cruel.

If I could have choosen my dog breed I would have bought an German shepherd.

Edit: consider you will be tied/unflexible for atleast 10years.
    Yeah I wasn't referring to OP but the guy who wrote the list - his taste appears to be intimidating dogs for the first 4-5