VulcanIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not able to supinate/pronate my forarms, how to work biceps without supination?

So i believe im probs one of the 2% of the whole USA maybe that has this problem, I've never met anyone with the same problem but if i meet someone on here who has the same problem I would die of happiness to know i'm not alone.

I was born with congenital radioulnar synostosis. What this is is that the two bones inside my forearm , my radius and the ulna, are fused together or something like that. My forearm is stuck in a fixed position of rotation. My forearms are a little weird looking and are therefore smaller than most peoples.

I cannot pronate or supinate my wrists. So that means no standard curls, not even ez curl bar no bicep curls not even reverse curls, no reverse/underhand grip anything.

Only curl i can get away with is hammer curl and even with those I feel them mostly in my forearm which i guess your supposed to but my question is:

Is there any way that I can have no disproportionate arms from the rest of my body? Any way to work my biceps without supination past hammer curls?

i sort of already know that there is really no other way or thing i can do for biceps right now, and im sort of expecting that as an answer but im hoping for a miracle or something.

AGAIN, QUESTION IS: Any way to work my biceps without supinating my wrists (anything except hammercurls or rope hammers)

cause my short head is LAGGING a lot. on top of all this i have ****ty bicep genetics (insertion point is HIGH as ****) and my arms look so shi**y.

I try to go ham as heck on triceps and i do, but i want to get my biceps up Just wanting some help you guys.

So yeah it sucks. Liftings my lifestyle, and for something like this to hold me back... I used to get upset about it a lot but i can't do anything about it. Theres not successful way of fixing it so just wanted some help.

I dont really expect any of you to understand how frustrating it is and im not complaining either or not trying to BUT: it messes a lot of things up not just lifting its hard to accept change, eat with a fork etc. BUt thats not the question lol

getting off topic here

I can post my arms workout if you guys want to see what im doing already

Thanks yo

VulcanIron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just going to post a sample arms workout I do, remember i cant do any forms of bicep curls except hammers.. so

SS means superset lol

Dumbbell skull crushers SS w. seated hammer curls - 4 sets of different reps
    V bar press downs SS preacher DB hammer curls - 4 sets
    Single arm tricep extension SS. high cable curls (not really cause i cant turn wrists towards me but i try as much as i can lol) - 4 sets
    Rope curls SS with DB kickbacks - 4 sets

And here are all the exercises I can/can't do:

Biceps:
    DB hammer curls
    Rope Curls

Triceps:
    V bar(or rope) tricep pushdowns
    DB skullcrushers
    1 arm tricep pressdown
    kick backs
    theres more im just blanking out

Things i cant do:

Any bicep work where i need to supinate my wrists, can't even do eazy bar

can't close grip bench, barbell skullcrusher, french press, etc.

dean9147 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man,

I just seen your post and thought I should make an account and reply! I have the same problem as you but only with my right arm. As a kickboxer and weightlifter it has been immensely frustrating for me as not having much reach with my right arm and not being able to as you say work my bicep properly on that arm. The arm itself looks a bit skinnier than my left and I cannot fully extend it etc etc Now, it took me a while but I found an exercise that works my bicep and since using it ( I use it on my left too) I have noticed an increase in size and strength in my right bicep, so all is not lost I use a cable for it and imagine standing in the position of a hammer curl but instead of raising the arm from facing forward into an upward motion, bring your arm inwards towards your other arm and upwards towards your head so that you feel the squeeze on your bicep...As you mentioned, I also experience the tingly sensation in my arm if I prod it or whatever, its very discomforting, like a shock and goes to my finger tips. But you have to learn to ignore it. My bicep was also also quite squishy and soft to touch as if it was new undeveloped muscle but is now feeling more firm over time and more like my left arm. It is going to take time but I promise it works. if you need any further help or even a step by step photo sequence of the exercise is you are finding it hard to understand in this message then message me on here and I will happily e-mail you some instructions I hope you see this post and it makes you feel less lonely :P

thanks,
    Dean.

fosterjameswjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Born with same issue

I also have this problem and was born this way. Neither arm will pronate or supenate because both arms are fused from wrist to elbow. I have learned to deal with it and do things differently than everyone else. It has been hard but I have made it through. We are the 2% lol.

Adanacto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VulcanIron View Post
    So i believe im probs one of the 2% of the whole USA maybe that has this problem, I've never met anyone with the same problem but if i meet someone on here who has the same problem I would die of happiness to know i'm not alone.

I was born with congenital radioulnar synostosis. What this is is that the two bones inside my forearm , my radius and the ulna, are fused together or something like that. My forearm is stuck in a fixed position of rotation. My forearms are a little weird looking and are therefore smaller than most peoples.

I cannot pronate or supinate my wrists. So that means no standard curls, not even ez curl bar no bicep curls not even reverse curls, no reverse/underhand grip anything.

Only curl i can get away with is hammer curl and even with those I feel them mostly in my forearm which i guess your supposed to but my question is:

Is there any way that I can have no disproportionate arms from the rest of my body? Any way to work my biceps without supination past hammer curls?

i sort of already know that there is really no other way or thing i can do for biceps right now, and im sort of expecting that as an answer but im hoping for a miracle or something.

AGAIN, QUESTION IS: Any way to work my biceps without supinating my wrists (anything except hammercurls or rope hammers)

cause my short head is LAGGING a lot. on top of all this i have ****ty bicep genetics (insertion point is HIGH as ****) and my arms look so shi**y.

I try to go ham as heck on triceps and i do, but i want to get my biceps up Just wanting some help you guys.

So yeah it sucks. Liftings my lifestyle, and for something like this to hold me back... I used to get upset about it a lot but i can't do anything about it. Theres not successful way of fixing it so just wanted some help.

I dont really expect any of you to understand how frustrating it is and im not complaining either or not trying to BUT: it messes a lot of things up not just lifting its hard to accept change, eat with a fork etc. BUt thats not the question lol

getting off topic here

Thanks yo
    Just a thought, you don't necessarily have to do "isolation" exercises. Things such as pull-ups also work your biceps.

MatthewEng1992 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try doing pullups I have the same condition it really sucks, I'm not even sure what to do about it, getting change, shaking hands, it really stressed the shoulders and my shoulder blade protrudes from my back. it makes me so happy to meet someone with the same condition, hammer curls are good. And doing pullups helps with forearms as well, also not being able to do a chin-up is okay since pullups are actually more challenging. Good luck, get big

HerbaClimber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi! I have a client with this condition, and was wondering if anyone had found some great exercises for this. I have trained 1 session with him so far, and am looking for a way or 2 to make it at least somewhat different. He only lacks supination, pronation and neutral grip are ok. I'm going to see if he can do a high pull/ face pull, but if you have any others ideas I would love to hear what you have discovered for yourself! Thank you so much, and continued luck with your gains!

chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50) chizzald will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi,
    I have this same problem. I was born with it in both arms. I've played drums since I was 4 years old and I wasn't able to hold the sticks with the conventional grip, as a result. I have to hold them matched grip (pronated) or French grip (thumbs up neutral).
    I only use dumbbells for curls. I can use the EZ bar but it hurts and puts a lot of stress on my wrists. I definitely can't do straight bar curls. I can't do any under-hand (supine) pulldowns or rows.
    Originally Posted by VulcanIron View Post
    So i believe I'm probs one of the 2% of the whole USA maybe that has this problem, I've never met anyone with the same problem but if i meet someone on here who has the same problem I would die of happiness to know i'm not alone.

getting off topic here

Thanks yo

BlackBimmer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BlackBimmer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I cannot believe I just found this. I was born with the same problem. I would always get super depressed about it because I was so into fitness and stuff and it caused me massive anxiety. I got surgery for this last year and was out of the gym for 4 months and during that time I had to go through a lot of physical therapy to get as much motion back as possible. I got back about 20 degrees so I have somewhat more motion, it's just that the only problem is that it left my wrist and forearm are even smaller and look weird because they had to remove some muscle to get it to move a little more. They also didn't fuse the bone they cut with my forearm bone, but rather my upper forearm muscle, and as a result the hand is weak. I can finally hold an ez bar and curl with it, I just have to use wrist wraps or else the bone will snap off the muscle. I can move the forearm bone up and down too because it's not connected to anything lol

Shehastobeast is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I'm not alone!

Never really looked into my wrist issue throughout my life. Now I'm getting into lifting and am terrified about how to do so many things like the one you've listed here. I only have the issue in my left wrist, which baffled doctors, since it's typically in both. I twirled baton as a child, my mom's way of helping me understand my mobility, but I still don't. Here seeking answers. Going to start working with a trainer, if I learn anything I'll bring it this way.
    Attached Images

FullBodyFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wow

I just found this. I have the same problem in my left arm. Workouts have always been tough. Heavy weight curls are nearly impossible without the proper leverage and support from your thumb and fingers. My condition caused my left arm to be about 3 inches shorter than my right arm as it doesn't fully extend. I love pull ups but I'm very limited to doing them because the bar has to be uneven to compensate for those 3 inches. Also, since there's no rotation, there can be tremendous strain on my shoulder and they have to be performed with my body angled somewhat back.
    Its good to know after all these years that I'm not alone too

erikak1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm literally about to cry knowing that there are more people out there with the same problem as me. I have it in my left arm and have always felt extremely insecure about it. Wow. I love you all and understand how you feel.

srvt28 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile I'm not alone.

I too have this problem, but only in my left forearm. I first realised this when i was 10. Now i'm 21...and have been going to gym but it's frustrating not being able to do standard curls and chin ups. Still i try to do same number of reps with both arms so as to maintain equal muscle development and prevent size difference in both of the arms.

syedsabeast is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suffer from a similar issue on the right hand . Cant do dubmell curls on my right hand with supination .can you email it to syedsabeeth@gmail.com

hsoul is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 27 and thinking of doing the surgery. I love working out and it's really in the way. Was the surgery worth it. And is it pricey?

Dom579 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have the same condition, and so does my brother haha, I'm here with the same question

pikiliniii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi

me too with the same issue on my right arm (can't rotate it so i can do only hummer) and i am always looking for ways to trigger my biceps on this arm, so if you have any more ideas, it will be great if you can share

thanks in advance,
    pikiliniii.